F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Yes There is a Spare, and How to Get it Down

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:40 AM
HughJarse
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bracket #3 on diagram

I had the spare wheel retro fitted and it turns out the chunky (angled as it called on the diagram) bracket screws onto the right rear lower suspension arm pivot, so the mechanic told me. It may be there to stop the space saver moving forward into the suspension arms, I can only guess.

Last edited by HughJarse; 04-06-2018 at 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 04-08-2018, 01:19 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by HughJarse
I had the spare wheel retro fitted and it turns out the chunky (angled as it called on the diagram) bracket screws onto the right rear lower suspension arm pivot, so the mechanic told me. It may be there to stop the space saver moving forward into the suspension arms, I can only guess.
Are there parts needed other than the ones shown in the pictures on the previous page?

Perhaps someone who has a spare from the factory can snap a pic of where this bracket gets installed?

Old 04-08-2018, 01:39 PM
Minidogger
4th Gear
Received 78 Likes on 70 Posts
Usually you find the tire flat or almost flat when you come back to the car, as opposed to a sudden blowout on the move.

I like to carry a cheapy 12V compressor, you can pump it up enough to get home or to a shop.

Old 04-09-2018, 01:29 PM
HughJarse
Neutral
F56 compact spare retainer

Originally Posted by NBCGLX
Are there parts needed other than the ones shown in the pictures on the previous page?

Perhaps someone who has a spare from the factory can snap a pic of where this bracket gets installed?
I’ve drawn on the pic by the original contributor (very high tech) showing the area in question. I had a glimpse after the bracket went on......goes like this I think; yellow area is suspension arm, green area is a plastic housing which needs to be dropped to allow access, and red cross is roughly where the bolt goes through (behind spare wheel).

It it would appear that the parts required are all in the diagram. Longer suspension joint bolt not required. I’ll get the spare wheel off and see if I can get a pic.

Attached Thumbnails Yes There is a Spare, and How to Get it Down-b2e4789f-8b70-4501-af6c-7ffc3790b2a4.jpeg  
Old 04-09-2018, 02:36 PM
HughJarse
Neutral

I’ve drawn on the pic by the original contributor (very high tech) showing the area in question. I had a glimpse after the bracket went on......goes like this I think; yellow area is suspension arm, green area is a plastic housing which needs to be dropped to allow access, and red cross is roughly where the bolt goes through (behind spare wheel).

It it would appear that the parts required are all in the diagram. Longer suspension joint bolt not required. I’ll get the spare wheel off and see if I can get a pic.
PS I should have also said that the position and orientation of the bracket in the exploded diagram (just forward of the spare) is about right, although in practice, once fitted, the wheel housing and bracket are nearly touching......if you see what I mean.

The whole procedure only took the garage 10-15 minutes. Hope this is helpful.

Attached Thumbnails Yes There is a Spare, and How to Get it Down-c675eac9-0eaf-4b6b-9bd9-782e24cf6186.jpeg  
Old 04-10-2018, 03:48 PM
NBCGLX
4th Gear

Thanks! The red 'x' marks where part #3 in the diagram is installed? I'm very intrigued by this add-on, as my MA told me that the spare couldn't be fitted after the fact. I wanted it, but for the 2019 LCI cars the only way to get it is with the base 15" wheels.

Old 05-26-2021, 12:20 PM
donkeh
2nd Gear
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket_man

6) This picture is not the best but... While holding the lug wrench that is screwed onto the shaft of the bolt... use the open end wrench to rotate the plastic part to the left. There is a corresponding 'nut' molded into the plastic. But this is not the most robust design. The plastic part must be rotated 10-20 degrees counter-clockwise so that the D shaped plastic part aligns with the D shaped hole in the sheet metal. Once you are able to rotate this plastic part the tire will drop so hold onto that Lug wrench, you are holding up the spare.
Thank you for this educational post. Appreciate the time you put into it - with pictures and details.

I recently bought a 2018 Justa and tried to lower the spare wheel without success. Basically, I got to step #6. I could wiggle the wheel but could not turn the wheel enough to unlock it so that it falls through the hole. I tried for over an hour: I got really close to making the locking hexagon align with the hole, but never quite enough. Sweaty and frustrated, I gave up at the end.

I removed the spare wheel from a R56 once, and it was a lot easier: I just had to pinch this clip to let the wheel fall down..

I hope I'll never get a flat. If I do, the AAA guy will likely be better than me at removing the spare. If no AAA, I'm gonna be stuck for a while ...

Old 05-21-2022, 06:13 PM
ovzfz
Neutral
Spare tire on F56 S

Hello guys, recently i bought all of the needed stuff to put the spare tire carrier since i wanna get rid of my runflats. But while mounting one of the brackets i realize there wasn't space due to the exhaust muffler on the center. so i was wonderin how much space is actually needed to fit the kit since it seems that the JCW pro or remus exhaust are less invasive. can i get some pictures of your spare tire location with some other visual reference to kind of measure it.

Old 05-22-2022, 04:14 AM
NBCGLX
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ovzfz
Hello guys, recently i bought all of the needed stuff to put the spare tire carrier since i wanna get rid of my runflats. But while mounting one of the brackets i realize there wasn't space due to the exhaust muffler on the center. so i was wonderin how much space is actually needed to fit the kit since it seems that the JCW pro or remus exhaust are less invasive. can i get some pictures of your spare tire location with some other visual reference to kind of measure it.
The Cooper S and JCW didn’t come with a spare, because there’s nowhere to fit it (exhaust is in the way). Only the 3-cylinder models can accommodate a spare.

The following users liked this post:
cjv2 (05-22-2022)
Old 05-28-2023, 07:40 PM
Oplix
3rd Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
I had a blown out tire today and apparently my car didn't even come with a spare. There is a rubber gasket in the place where you are supposed to unscrew the spare and the plastic box which holds the spare on my car is actually attached to the rear bumper with clips. Had to get the car towed.