F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Puddle of Oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 10:31 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by BRP27
Here is a bit of Irony. If the Boss or hole exists for a dip stick and you fab up a dip stick and install it, wouldn't you need the electronic level to ensure the engine oil was full, to mark the new dip stick. Just saying BMW stuck it to us.
My 2007 R56 could be 2 qts low on oil and it woudn't warn me. I bet the F56 does warn you. A lot of people (women) don't know how to check oil. I don't think my wife knows how to open the hood lol. R56 owners hated those dipsticks, there were threads on how difficult to read they were. I think some company even makes one that easier to read.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:37 AM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"No Serviceable Parts Inside"
And electronic diagnostic tools so expensive the independents can't afford to purchase them.
That leaves the Dealer Only Access approach....by design.
Repair out of warranty so prohibitively expensive that consumers are turning over vehicles at the
end of the warranty period....by design.
Soon there will be Lease Only Vehicles.
You turn them in every four years for the new model and the Dealer "re-cycles".

Last edited by Mrdi; 10-28-2014 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:53 AM
tripleTurbo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
Not if you coordinated the dipstick install with an oil change. We know how much to put in from empty. You run it for a minute to fill the filter, shut off, let it sit to catch drain down and bang you have a reading to mark. Could always back check that with the electronic for good measure. If I ever find the hole is there I can guarantee you I'm putting in a dipstick if at all possible. I won't just blame Mini/BMW, as a lot of the mfgr's seem to be headed this way. I expect the "No Serviceable Parts Inside" stickers on our cars any day now!
I predict in the not so distant future no hood! Engine is sealed for 100,000 miles.

Old 10-28-2014, 10:57 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by tripleTurbo
I predict in the not so distant future no hood! Engine is sealed for 100,000 miles.
Hell I don't think I ever saw the battery on my 2007

Old 10-28-2014, 11:07 AM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Hell I don't think I ever saw the battery on my 2007
And, No More foot pedals
Your responsibility.......
"Please enter your destination"
The steering wheel??
Sure, how else would you adjust volume and balance?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by BRP27
The electronic oil level is a fix to a problem that didn't exist. I have noticed a number of electronic fixes on the F56 that fit this category.
Ehh, I wouldn't go that far. Just because it doesn't exist for you doesn't mean it wasn't a problem with the normal non-enthusiast driver. Now at least the car will warn you if the oil is low no matter what. We took my wife's R56 in for service and it was over 2 quarts low (and never leaked oil). We could have damaged the engine and never even realized it was low.

I'm not in the habit of checking the oil in my car on a regular basis, especially when the car is 1. new, and 2. doesn't leak oil. I shouldn't have to, a car that new shouldn't be burning that much oil. I suspect most people are in this camp, completely disregarding the massive number of people who don't even know how to check their oil level in the first place. If I wanted to be constantly checking my oil I'd buy another e30.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:15 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Ehh, I wouldn't go that far. Just because it doesn't exist for you doesn't mean it wasn't a problem with the normal non-enthusiast driver. Now at least the car will warn you if the oil is low no matter what. We took my wife's R56 in for service and it was over 2 quarts low (and never leaked oil). We could have damaged the engine and never even realized it was low.

I'm not in the habit of checking the oil in my car on a regular basis, especially when the car is 1. new, and 2. doesn't leak oil. I shouldn't have to, a car that new shouldn't be burning that much oil. I suspect most people are in this camp, completely disregarding the massive number of people who don't even know how to check their oil level in the first place. If I wanted to be constantly checking my oil I'd buy another e30.
+1

Old 10-28-2014, 02:38 PM
sal1k
4th Gear
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
Now at least the car will warn you if the oil is low no matter what.
Great point, I never thought about that. I was focused on the fact that the e-dipstick is yet another system that could fail, never thinking that if and when it is working, that's one less thing to think about. Even when I owned a car with a dipstick, I never checked the oil level.

I always took it in for 3-5K oil changes (city driving, stop and go for the most part).

Old 10-28-2014, 04:16 PM
smaine
1st Gear
I could never understand the design behind when the R56 would alert and when it wouldn't. You'd get an alert 1000 miles before you needed an oil change (which is a relatively low priority condition) but got no alert for low oil (a very high priority condition). The inconsistency was really bad and created a false sense of security.

I'm glad they resolved it in the F56.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:21 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
throwing myself in this thread with the same problem. got both "low oil pressure" alert and "drivetrain malfunction" about 10 miles from home. immediately smelled burnt oil. coasted it as much as possible and parked it. within 10 minutes, a puddle of oil was under the car and the cover under the car was soaked.

appointment scheduled for it being towed to Mini of Manhattan tomorrow morning @ 8AM. will follow-up but would love to hear from the OP on how his situation progresses.

not a big fan of dealerships so already worried what they'll find vs. what they'll say.

Marco

Old 10-28-2014, 05:11 PM
hp79
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Man, I wish there was a thread with a headcount of F56 owners that had drive malfunction or oil puddle that needed towing. I'm seriously wondering, is it 5%? 10%? 20% of the owners?

Old 10-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Marco
Please start a new post.
Another Oil Puddle, might be a good title.
We certainly don't want to bury your experience in this thread!~
I empathize.

Build Date?

Last edited by Mrdi; 10-28-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM
Morty73
1st Gear
Hi all-

Picked up the car this evening. They replaced the oil filter housing and the 'skid plate' (said it was soaked in oil and would continue to drip).

SA was not there so I am not sure how much oil was left in the engine, but others there said if warning lights did not come on, there was still oil and there should not be any other damage.

Car drive perfectly on the way home and the oil level is reading full. No smell of oil at all through the vents, which I was somewhat worried about. When the problem occurred, I looked at the engine compartment and could not see any oil anywhere from the top so most probably went down.

They also changed the filter and 'secured the shift ****' and replaced a nut in the spare tire. Items that were listed as needing to be done when the car came in.

Overall, this was a good experience and resolved quickly. Now I just wonder if the new oil filter housing will be any better than the old one. Crossing fingers this one does not fail. You can be sure I will be checking the oil levels daily and looking for any random spots under the car to overreact to.

Thanks for all the responses and I hope others do not have to go through this issue.

Old 10-28-2014, 06:00 PM
Mrdi
5th Gear
Good Luck Morty
Keep us apprised.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:36 AM
kgehrig
1st Gear
This is the 4th F56S to have this issue. Not too happy about that.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Morty73
1st Gear
Originally Posted by kgehrig
This is the 4th F56S to have this issue. Not too happy about that.
If you are referring to OP, it was not an MCS, it is a Justa.