F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini coding/programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 AM
kattanah
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BP-F56s
Ive done a lot of programming to my S.. now looking at the JCW Tuning Kit does anyone know if I will loose my coding(and future coding) doing the flash to the ECU.
Did you get an answer to your question? I am also curious to know as I will be installing the JCW tuning kit with the ECU remap and wondering if I will still be able to code my car via ESYS....

Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 AM
BP-F56s
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kattanah
Did you get an answer to your question? I am also curious to know as I will be installing the JCW tuning kit with the ECU remap and wondering if I will still be able to code my car via ESYS....
My buddy just did the JCW tuning kit.. he has lost all the coding and ability to code. it shows up but just wont let you actually code. I don't know if a newer version will be coming out that will allow us access again..but for now Ive decided to go with the JCW tuning kit and not install the ECU remap.. Ive ordered the NM Engineering Power Module instead. So kinda the best of both worlds.. A little pricey but I really like all the extra options I've added.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:26 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by kattanah
I am new to coding and have just downloaded the PSdZData V2.51 Lite, ESYS and ESYS Launcher 1.0.

From your post, I understood that if I were to install the JCW tuning kit and wanted to code my F56, I would need to have the following files/apps:

1- Latest PSdZData (I believe V2.54). Lite of full?
2- The same ESYS app i have already downloaded
3- ESYS Pro Launcher 2.0 (which required purchasing tokens)

Would you please confirm my understanding and guide me on this ?
I have a basic understanding, but I'll do my best to explain:

You can try with your current setup, but on newer versions of the istep, all the parameters you would normally change to "code", would appear blank.

IF that is the case:
1- I think the latest PSdZData is 2.56.1, but anything 55.1 or later should be okay. You only need the lite version for coding.
2- I think the latest ESYS version is 3.24.x
3- THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT - You need ESYS Launcher Pro 2.0 or later as this new version adds in all the descriptors that went missing with the later versions of your car's software.

I strongly recommend any would be coders to checkout http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175 as all the experts reside there. It's a BMW-centric forum, but with the F5x MINIs, they are VERY similar.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:28 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
My buddy just did the JCW tuning kit.. he has lost all the coding and ability to code. it shows up but just wont let you actually code. I don't know if a newer version will be coming out that will allow us access again..but for now Ive decided to go with the JCW tuning kit and not install the ECU remap.. Ive ordered the NM Engineering Power Module instead. So kinda the best of both worlds.. A little pricey but I really like all the extra options I've added.
Losing coding will happen any time the dealer updates the software. This is not exclusive to the tuning kit.

When you say he is unable to code, how is that so? Is he unable to connect?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:10 PM
kattanah
1st Gear
Thanks

Old 07-17-2015, 04:30 AM
kattanah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by siriuszero

You can try with your current setup, but on newer versions of the istep, all the parameters you would normally change to "code", would appear blank.

IF that is the case:
1- I think the latest PSdZData is 2.56.1, but anything 55.1 or later should be okay. You only need the lite version for coding.
3- THIS IS THE IMPORTANT BIT - You need ESYS Launcher Pro 2.0 or later as this new version adds in all the descriptors that went missing with the later versions of your car's software.

I strongly recommend any would be coders to checkout http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=175 as all the experts reside there. It's a BMW-centric forum, but with the F5x MINIs, they are VERY similar.
Do you have links to the latest versions of the required PSsZData and ESYS?

I came across a comparison between the ESYS Launcher 2.0 PRO VS Premium 2.1 and it states that both versions support trimmed PSdZData. in this case is the PRO still needed?

Old 07-17-2015, 01:12 PM
jComp4
1st Gear
I have read most of this thread, I am unable to find Esys and the launcher 2.0, can anyone share it with me? Thanks in advance

Old 07-18-2015, 10:50 AM
Killeralto
Neutral
ISO Minneapolis coder

I'd love to have some of these options on my 2015 F56 - Wired Pack, Premium Pack, Cold Weather Pack - If you are in the Twin Cities, please leave me a message. Heading to MINI on the Mack July 29th!

Old 07-25-2015, 07:21 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Anyone have links for the latest required software? Just for mine back from the dealer, they updated the software and now E-Sys with PZD 54 won't read the CADF.

TIA

Old 07-25-2015, 06:50 PM
CooperB
3rd Gear
See below

Last edited by CooperB; 08-09-2015 at 06:57 AM.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:02 PM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Back in business. The folks over on Bimmerfest can help with anything coding related.

Old 07-30-2015, 02:11 PM
BP-F56s
Neutral
Originally Posted by CooperB
Back in business. The folks over on Bimmerfest can help with anything coding related.
Thats good news.
So did you get updated files? Where you able to do it yourself..

Old 07-30-2015, 02:23 PM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Thats good news.
So did you get updated files? Where you able to do it yourself..
You need the latest PZD; 56.1 as of today and use Launcher 2.0.

Some of the CAFD files are missing from 56.1 so you have to hunt them down, BDC was the primary file missing, but once you find them and place them in the proper c:\data\... directories you can read coding and code FDL again just as before.

Just re-coded all my options back in and working like a charm again.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:35 PM
CooperB
3rd Gear
FYI

For those trying to FA/VO code enhanced bluetooth you need to add 6NE to your FA, not 6NS which was mentioned earlier. I just added 6NE and now have ENHANCED_BLUETOOTH_MOBILE_PREP under my car's FA -> 09 - Options

Old 08-02-2015, 05:40 PM
MarcoPolo
5th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Mini coding/programming

FYI

For those trying to FA/VO code enhanced bluetooth you need to add 6NE to your FA, not 6NS which was mentioned earlier. I just added 6NE and now have ENHANCED_BLUETOOTH_MOBILE_PREP under my car's FA -> 09 - Options
Did you successfully get audio over Bluetooth. If so, i bow to you.

Old 08-03-2015, 06:16 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Guess you have to bow to me then!

Old 08-16-2015, 07:20 PM
Carwash
1st Gear
Hey everybody,
I've been following this conversation for some time now...I was wondering if anyone in the GA area would be willing to to get together to code? I would also like to learn with some hands on training..
Thanks!!

Old 08-17-2015, 01:50 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero

IF that is the case:

Ok I have a basic question. I'm terrible with coding but I'm trying to figure the ESYS out. I've DL'd the latest ESYS, PSdZData, and Launcher Premium 2.1.2. I did the token thing and waited 48 hours. I can launch ESYS using the Launcher Premium, get the car to comm successfully, but when I go to "read", it has a VA coding error.

Is this because the firmware in the car is too new? This is a 10 day old F56 JCW. Do I need the Launcher Pro instead?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-17-2015, 03:10 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Ok I have a basic question. I'm terrible with coding but I'm trying to figure the ESYS out. I've DL'd the latest ESYS, PSdZData, and Launcher Premium 2.1.2. I did the token thing and waited 48 hours. I can launch ESYS using the Launcher Premium, get the car to comm successfully, but when I go to "read", it has a VA coding error.

Is this because the firmware in the car is too new? This is a 10 day old F56 JCW. Do I need the Launcher Pro instead?

Thanks in advance.
Out of curiousity, what does it list your iStep version as in ESYS? It will be F056-XX-XX-5XX

As far as I know even the newest MINI firmwares work with the new Launcher Premium.

Are you getting to "Read ECU" when it errors? Make sure you're hitting the right read button too!

I assume you're using this excellent guide?: http://bmwesys.com/guides/Beginners%...e%20Coding.pdf

Old 08-18-2015, 07:01 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm not sure on the istep question, I don't see that in the wonderful Beginners Guide PDF either. I certainly picked the F056 and not the _DIRECT option.

I'm getting the error after initial "connection established [G168]" success, clicking just the "read" button in expert mode side menu and coding. I'm unable to get to the Activate FA or Read ECU steps.

Any ideas are appreciated. I'm going to do a fresh install on a different laptop in a few days when I have time to rule that out.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:24 AM
TheHossSauce
2nd Gear
2 Questions:

1. Is there anyone in the Rochester NY, or Upstate NY who does coding that you guys know of?

2. Can someone post the most updated list and relevant links to everything I would need if I wanted to start doing it myself?

I've read through most of the thread and it all kind of blends together after a while. Thank You!

Old 08-20-2015, 01:44 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
I'm not sure on the istep question, I don't see that in the wonderful Beginners Guide PDF either. I certainly picked the F056 and not the _DIRECT option.

I'm getting the error after initial "connection established [G168]" success, clicking just the "read" button in expert mode side menu and coding. I'm unable to get to the Activate FA or Read ECU steps.

Any ideas are appreciated. I'm going to do a fresh install on a different laptop in a few days when I have time to rule that out.
When you get to "Read ECU" the screen will list your shipping istep version and your current istep version. The new ESYS Launcher should be able to handle all current MINI firmwares.

Fresh installation would be my suggestion. Let us know how it goes!

I just learned this last couple of days you can also update your Navigation (if so equipped) for free as well.

Old 08-20-2015, 02:23 PM
ki7hy
1st Gear
FYI

First, thanks for all you have posted, it has essentially lead me to everything I needed. I have the software and am on my 48 hour wait period.

I had a quick question, do you add 6NE to the list or did you replace something. I haven't seen the FA file to view it but want to be clear before I jump in. I plan to do some of the easy stuff but the main reason for coding for me is the enhanced bluetooth. I actually saw my car had bluetooth when I bought it but no idea it was for just phone calls....who does that...BMW, yeah.

Thanks again CooperB. If others are reading this, go back through and read the posts. Hell, this page alone gives you everything you need really.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:21 PM
pjo1966
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had heard that it's possible to do coding using an Android tablet. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with that?

Old 08-23-2015, 11:51 AM
CooperB
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ki7hy
First, thanks for all you have posted, it has essentially lead me to everything I needed. I have the software and am on my 48 hour wait period.

I had a quick question, do you add 6NE to the list or did you replace something. I haven't seen the FA file to view it but want to be clear before I jump in. I plan to do some of the easy stuff but the main reason for coding for me is the enhanced bluetooth. I actually saw my car had bluetooth when I bought it but no idea it was for just phone calls....who does that...BMW, yeah.

Thanks again CooperB. If others are reading this, go back through and read the posts. Hell, this page alone gives you everything you need really.
Just add it. You don't replace anything.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Mini coding/programming