F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 US Mill Works License Plate Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:59 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
US Mill Works License Plate Install

I installed the US Mill Works License Plate holder back in Nov and I realized I forgot to post some pics. There are many options out there for tow hook license plate holders. I picked this one because of its adjust-ability and other reviews of the quality of the mount. I have to say that this is a very well made mount. It may not be the cheapest but it is high quality. Very nicely machined from solid aluminum. I'd definitely buy it again.

Anyway, everyone is familiar with these mounts... here is how this one goes on.

1) The first thing I did was install the license plate on the mounting plate with the four black screws provided (they provide silver screws as well). Then I used a hammer and beat the edges of the license plate over edge of the mounting plate. It is pretty malleable. I did the opposite sides so that it locked the plate in place and would not shift as I bent the edges over. Tap it over a little at a time around the full edge of the plate until it is all the way over the edge. Why do this? Optional, but the license plate is slightly larger than the mounting plate and leaves a sharp edge. This edge may catch something, maybe your leg? Or if you happen to do an automatic car wash it could catch one of those brushes. The resulting lip adds some strength to the license plate to resist anything that may tug on it. Plus it just looks a little more finished. Not to mention the smaller surface area drops your 0-60 time by 1 tenth

The US Mill Works plate is solid and thick and allows you to do this. You might be able to do the same with other mounts. Like I said this is purely optional but it gives it a finished look.

Attached Thumbnails US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6006.jpg   US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6007.jpg   US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6008.jpg   US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6010.jpg  
Old 01-18-2015, 03:11 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
2) Remove the license plate from the mounting plate so you can install it on the car. There is a plastic cover over the tow hook hole. It just pops out by pushing on one side. Then there is a lanyard you need to remove. Keep the cover somewhere for safe keeping.

3) Follow the instructions to pre-assemble the parts onto the screw that goes into the car. You can get the screw in most of the way with your fingers. Then you need to install the mounting plate and snug up the screws and use the plate like a wrench to tighten the screw. Because of the curve of the bumper you can't just spin it on. You have to tighten a little at a time. Loosen the mounting plate, adjust it, tighten the mounting plate then turn the assembly again to tighten the main screw into the tow hook. Once you have it tightened then you can looseen the mounting plate and adjust it to its final position. I found the farther most set of holes allow the license plate to easily clear the fog light and the trim around the grill and looks like a good position.

4) Then just mount the license plate and you're done. They also sell and optional quick release mechanism if you need to quickly remove the plate for things like automatic car washes. We didn't get the optional release.

Attached Thumbnails US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6011.jpg   US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6012.jpg   US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6013.jpg   US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6014.jpg   US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6020.jpg  

US Mill Works License Plate Install-img_6019.jpg  
Old 01-19-2015, 04:25 AM
WrenchMonkey
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
79 dollars is a bit pricey... I like how it looks but thats two tanks of gas just to move my licence plate over a foot...

I have an idea though. If it works I'll post a thread

Old 01-19-2015, 05:58 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
It's more than moving the license plate over. Since these mount in the tow hook spot you don't have holes drilled into the bumper. I installed the platypus. A little more simple, but doesn't fit quite as flush.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 PM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
TX911fan, If you were hoping for the Platypus to sit right on the bumper like that, you should be able to adjust it a bit. I would be happy to help.

Unfortunately, there is no way you could bend your license plate around our Platypus Pro, but the good news is that we made it the just under the size of the license plate, so it is supported all the way round and there are no sharp edges.

Last edited by CravenSpeed; 01-19-2015 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Is it legal to bend your plate?
Old 01-19-2015, 08:52 PM
J_L
5th Gear
Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey
79 dollars is a bit pricey... I like how it looks but thats two tanks of gas just to move my licence plate over a foot...

I have this plate mount too. I love it. I was absolutely shocked of the quality (not to mention made in the US) for the price. It's gorgeous in both design and craft. Double the price would be totally reasonable. Or triple when selling to Porsche owners.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:04 AM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WrenchMonkey

Purely a choice. There are a lot of options out there including just having the dealer install the factory holder. Actually it is the cheapest mod I've done to the car. I'm hoping that someday TX will go to rear only license plates (they almost passed that law in 2013) and I can remove this and put the plastic cap back in and have a clean look. Plus this was OTS and required very little of my time. I think I spent more time taking the pics and making this post.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:04 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
I forgot that some states still make you have front license plates. Those look pretty bad on a Mini. There is it when you buy the car from the dealer, in the middle? They must drill some holes in the bumper that you have to fill when you do this mod right?

Old 01-20-2015, 08:15 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kellen
TX911fan, If you were hoping for the Platypus to sit right on the bumper like that, you should be able to adjust it a bit. I would be happy to help.

Unfortunately, there is no way you could bend your license plate around our Platypus Pro, but the good news is that we made it the just under the size of the license plate, so it is supported all the way round and there are no sharp edges.
Yes, please. Tell me how to adjust it so it sits closer to the bumper. Thanks!

Old 01-20-2015, 08:16 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
I forgot that some states still make you have front license plates. Those look pretty bad on a Mini. There is it when you buy the car from the dealer, in the middle? They must drill some holes in the bumper that you have to fill when you do this mod right?
When I picked up my car I told them not to put the front plate on. They made me sign something saying that I know a plate is required in Texas and that I was leaving without one. The Mini guys in Austin get it at least.

Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by TX1911fan
When I picked up my car I told them not to put the front plate on. They made me sign something saying that I know a plate is required in Texas and that I was leaving without one. The Mini guys in Austin get it at least.
So they usually do put the frame on with screws into the bumper? I don't think I ever saw a Mini with a front plate. I like the thin Euro plates like the White Silver/Red Coupe at the top of the NAM forums page. That car rocks!

Old 01-21-2015, 09:28 PM
Rocket_man
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
We coordinated with the dealer to not install the front plate mount. They install the temp plate on the rear. We ran without a front until our permanent plates arrived, then I just installed it on the US Mill Works mount. The factory center mount (which we have in a box somewhere) would have screwed through the bumper.

Our MA even mentioned they do not install that unless the customer asks.

I hope TX does away with the front plate. If so this is going away the next day. It looks a lot better w/o the front plate. The same is true for all cars.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM
TX1911fan
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Rocket_man
We coordinated with the dealer to not install the front plate mount. They install the temp plate on the rear. We ran without a front until our permanent plates arrived, then I just installed it on the US Mill Works mount. The factory center mount (which we have in a box somewhere) would have screwed through the bumper.

Our MA even mentioned they do not install that unless the customer asks.

I hope TX does away with the front plate. If so this is going away the next day. It looks a lot better w/o the front plate. The same is true for all cars.
I completely agree. I ran my Lexus for 4.5 years without a front plate and finally got pulled over. They gave me a warning so that's why I've put a front plate on the Mini. Don't want to get pulled over again and have them see the same warning.