F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 f55 jcw

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Onielslowley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
f55 jcw

Hello all. I'm about to spec an f55 cooper s with the jcw exterior and interior package and I found myself wondering if it would be better to wait for the true jcw car instead. So my question is will mini be producing a jcw version of the 4 Dr hardtop or is this as good as it gets. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:53 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
First off, welcome to NAM.

It's not clear whether the F55 will have a JCW model, BMW has only admitted the JCW model will be "core" body styles, whatever they think that means.

If your buying timeframe is years away, you might as well wait and see. If it's in the next few months, then an F55 Cooper S w/JCW packs is your only option.

Old 04-22-2015, 08:56 AM
Onielslowley
Neutral
Wow. Thanks for the prompt reply. I have time I just don't want to wait in vain. Thx again.

Old 04-22-2015, 09:20 AM
MINIPartsMass
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Onielslowley
Hello all. I'm about to spec an f55 cooper s with the jcw exterior and interior package and I found myself wondering if it would be better to wait for the true jcw car instead. So my question is will mini be producing a jcw version of the 4 Dr hardtop or is this as good as it gets. Thanks in advance.
Edit- Sorry! I read this wrong, thought it said F56.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
They haven't announced any kind of time frame for the JCW F55, but I imagine it would happen in the future. My guess is next year maybe.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:40 PM
ZPayne
1st Gear
According to this article, a 5 door JCW won't happen. 3 door only. http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...powerful-mini/

That said I think it would be a very stupid move. Many people seem to be choosing the F55 over the r60 countryman now that it's out, sales of the 5 door are not too far behind the 3 door in most markets. Not offering a f55 JCW would be idiotic imo.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:02 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ZPayne
According to this article, a 5 door JCW won't happen. 3 door only. http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-new...powerful-mini/

That said I think it would be a very stupid move. Many people seem to be choosing the F55 over the r60 countryman now that it's out, sales of the 5 door are not too far behind the 3 door in most markets. Not offering a f55 JCW would be idiotic imo.
I don't know where they got that info, but I haven't heard it echoed anywhere else. MINI has always had a JCW version of all their models since they brought JCW in house, including the R55 Clubman. There's no reason they couldn't unless they have a financial reason not to (not enough people would buy) which there is no indication of. 4 Doors are selling well, the only thing model specific they'd have to change from the F56 JCW is craft new JCW sport seats for the back. Everything else would be the same as the F56 JCW.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:29 PM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
There's no reason they couldn't unless they have a financial reason not to (not enough people would buy)...4 Doors are selling well...
If anything the financial reason not to release a JCW F55 would be because it would sell too well. The JCW Countryman ALL4 is slower 0-60 than the Cooper S Hardtop 4 door - the comparison vs a JCW F55 would begin to be embarrassing.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:34 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
They'll probably make one EVENTUALLY. But if you aren't Jonesing for more power the F55 with the body kit is cool, and you'll save a few grand to boot.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:48 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ljmiii
If anything the financial reason not to release a JCW F55 would be because it would sell too well. The JCW Countryman ALL4 is slower 0-60 than the Cooper S Hardtop 4 door - the comparison vs a JCW F55 would begin to be embarrassing.
I'm not sure I'm following your argument. Are you saying the F55 JCW would sell so well, it would cannibalize sales of the JCW Countryman because the JCW Countryman would be slower? That argument doesn't stand.

The Hardtop and the Countryman are two different cars for two different kinds of customers. The CM has always been positioned as a utility MINI - the MINI with the most passenger and cargo room with the availability of AWD. If you want those things, you get the CM. No one gets the CM because of it's power compared to the other MINIs.

The CM will always be slower than the Hardtop. The R56 JCW was faster than the JCW CM and when the R60 gets replaced with the 3rd gen F60 and eventually gets it's own JCW version, it will still be slower than the Hardtop JCW. It's a bigger MINI, after all.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:22 PM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
I'm not sure I'm following your argument. Are you saying the F55 JCW would sell so well, it would cannibalize sales of the JCW Countryman because the JCW Countryman would be slower? That argument doesn't stand. The Hardtop and the Countryman are two different cars for two different kinds of customers....
Well...yes and no. It used to be that if you wanted a MINI and needed 4 doors you had to buy a Countryman. Today (or rather earlier this month) I had a choice and the Hardtop 4 door was way more nimble and fun...so that's what I ordered.

If you need four wheel drive - either because of snow or a love of rally - then you are right. And next year's models might be different. But today I can't imagine why anyone would buy a 2WD Countryman. And if tomorrow they released a JCW F55 I would imagine a great many prospective JCW CM buyers would choose the Hardtop instead - again, unless snow or rallying kept them in the 4WD camp.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:34 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Why WOULD you want a 2WD CM?

AWD is a great selling point, but I don't think that is it's primary selling point. The Countryman is still positioned as the MINI with the most passenger and cargo room and for families and/or people that need more utility than the 4-door provides, the CM will always have a place, especially for customers new to the brand that are accustomed to SUVs and crossovers - the CM is the first MINI they look at. It seems the 4-door is still selling better, but the CM is still #3.

When the F60 comes out with the new tech and engines as it's 3rd gen brethen, it will level the field a little more, and it is also rumored to have an available hybrid AWD drivetrain which will also make things interesting...

I guess my point is that there is room in the MINI lineup for both the F55 JCW and the CM JCW and they will attract performance-conscious customers interested in the base selling points of both.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:01 PM
ljmiii
3rd Gear
When the F60 comes out with the new tech and engines as it's 3rd gen brethen, it will level the field a little more, and it is also rumored to have an available hybrid AWD drivetrain which will also make things interesting...

I guess my point is that there is room in the MINI lineup for both the F55 JCW and the CM JCW and they will attract performance-conscious customers interested in the base selling points of both.
Agreed and agreed.

That said...I fear for the new CM. As part of my search I tested the X1 xDrive28i and was somewhat surprised at how awful it was to drive. I then tried the X1 xDrive35i and though it had more oomph it was if anything a bit worse in the twisties.

Old 04-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Onielslowley
Neutral
So what I can glean from the responses is that we won't know until we know. My wife has a countryman s, apart from the high pressure fuel pump failing three times in as many years it's been relatively problem free. Certainly not the fastest or most exciting car to drive but it's full of Spunk and personality. I hope mini doesn't miss the boat with the f55 jcw for me personally it would check all the boxes. As it stands I'm patiently waiting on three cars. The updated 435 gc with the new engine, the new defender, and the f55 jcw. At this point it's whichever of the three is released first.

Old 05-14-2015, 03:04 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
FWIW, someone from MINI corporate straight told me with no uncertainty that there will NOT be a JCW F55. They will have a special edition F55 that will come with the JCW int/ext packages, the tuning kit and some accessories, but no fJCW F55.

I was wrong, but I wish I wasn't....

Old 05-14-2015, 06:09 PM
MINIwuff
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, someone from MINI corporate straight told me with no uncertainty that there will NOT be a JCW F55. They will have a special edition F55 that will come with the JCW int/ext packages, the tuning kit and some accessories, but no fJCW F55.

I just double checked with my source and the above is correct.

No planned F55 John Cooper Works model. Instead, the US will get a special "Carbon Edition" (May be Carbon Fibre Edition) F55 which includes, JCW Exterior and Interior packages, Carbon Fibre accessories, Special Tuning kit with increased horsepower and the Sport tuned exhaust with electronic baffle as stated above.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:53 PM
enkymion
1st Gear
Any idea when the carbon edition will come out?

Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 PM
jComp4
1st Gear

Yes, you're correct, no plans for a JCW F55.

ACTUALLY, I have both a hard top4 S,with JCW Packages, and I have a Countryman S ALL4; both are too different too compare. I feel like the CTM is more edgy than the HT4. The HT4 is more smooth. Love both equally

Old 09-12-2015, 04:50 PM
pingels
1st Gear