F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Looking to return to the MINI fold, and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 06:42 PM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to return to the MINI fold, and have some questions

After replacing my R50 with GTI in 2008, I'm looking at an F56 as I miss the go-kart handling of a MINI.

The questions:

1. Any issues with water entry from the frameless windows? My R50 had a problem with this after heavy rain.

2. Does the arm rest get in the way of shifting or use of the idrive controller?

3. Where do you put your phone? I've seen a claim that the cup holders are too small for the larger android devices.

4. Does the USB port in the console (not the arm rest) charge your phone?

5. Anyone have the stock stereo? What are your thoughts on it? I'm reluctant to spring for the Connected package as there's no Android Auto support, and everything I've seen seems to indicate it has limited integration with Android devices.

6. On the R50, the heated seat adjustability was basically seat cushion and/or seat back. On the GTI, there are multiple levels of heat setting. How do the F56's heated seats compare?

Old 10-01-2015, 06:49 PM
F55MidnightBlackCooperS
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
1.have f55
2.no
3.in armrest
4.yes
5.sucks! see my audio build. would love to have connected.

Last edited by F55MidnightBlackCooperS; 10-01-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:47 PM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by F55MidnightBlackCooperS
1.have f55
I believe the windows are the same, but assume you've not had any issues?

3.in armrest
Is there a USB connector in there? I thought you had to buy the device specific adapters to use the connectivity.

5.sucks! see my audio build. would love to have connected.
That's an impressive build, but overkill for the majority of my usage (podcasts)

I'm particularly interested in the integration with an android phone - e.g. any issues with bluetooth? Is it possible to play audio over USB?

Old 10-02-2015, 04:16 AM
dirtyscarab
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
]The F55 has frames around the top of the windows, so they're differet to the F56. I don't have any water issues in the F55 though.

I have a large android phone and it fits in the cupholder with room to spare.

No USB in the armrest. You have to buy an adapter for it. The armrest tilts downwards if you want to, which makes using the idrive feel very natural.

I have the standard audio package and it seems fine to me. I'm not one to blast out music at stupid volumes though, so I'm probably not one to ask

The bluetooth in my car can get a little sketchy, but it's been working great for me at the moment. You can pause (by turning off the stereo) or rewind/fast-forward using the controls on the dash. Works great. Best of all, I listen to audiobooks and the car will remember the track placement and pick off where you last listened. So you can get out of thecar, listen at home, get back in the car and continue the book via bluetooth without plugging in anything.

Last edited by dirtyscarab; 10-02-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:39 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by thegrommit
After replacing my R50 with GTI in 2008, I'm looking at an F56 as I miss the go-kart handling of a MINI. The questions: 1. Any issues with water entry from the frameless windows? My R50 had a problem with this after heavy rain. 2. Does the arm rest get in the way of shifting or use of the idrive controller? 3. Where do you put your phone? I've seen a claim that the cup holders are too small for the larger android devices. 4. Does the USB port in the console (not the arm rest) charge your phone? 5. Anyone have the stock stereo? What are your thoughts on it? I'm reluctant to spring for the Connected package as there's no Android Auto support, and everything I've seen seems to indicate it has limited integration with Android devices. 6. On the R50, the heated seat adjustability was basically seat cushion and/or seat back. On the GTI, there are multiple levels of heat setting. How do the F56's heated seats compare?
1. I had said "never again" to frameless windows, but I've got them in my F56. I was surprised the F55's are not. However, ZERO LEAKS :-).

2. No for the armrest, but very much yes for the iDrive controller. To this day, I scratch my head and say, "what were they thinking!?" It's no surprise that they've addressed this on the Clubman. I love having the iDrive, and not to say that it's a dealbreaker, but it is absolutely in an awkward position and is absolutely blocked by the armrest.

3. I have a flat disc/cupholder thing, and a phone cradle attached to it. It actually works very well. (iPhone 6)

4. USB charges, and is used for MINI Connected as well.

5. Avoid stock stereo! It's crap. Get the H/K!!!!!!!!

6. Everything is heated, including seat extension piece, but excluding headrest. I think the seat heaters are extremely effective. 3 heat levels.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:24 AM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
1. Any issues with water entry from the frameless windows? My R50 had a problem with this after heavy rain.

None

2. Does the arm rest get in the way of shifting or use of the idrive controller?

I thought it would but it doesn't

3. Where do you put your phone? I've seen a claim that the cup holders are too small for the larger android devices.

I use the OEM MINI Click & Drive system. It includes USB power at the tach and offers a universal phone mount option. VERY clean install and works great. A bit pricey but worth it.

Yes, but I would use the Click and Drive

5. Anyone have the stock stereo? What are your thoughts on it? I'm reluctant to spring for the Connected package as there's no Android Auto support, and everything I've seen seems to indicate it has limited integration with Android devices.

The stock stereo is TERRIBLE. I had a loaner with a stock stereo and it was painful. The H/K system is AMAZING!!! Well worth the upgrade. Bluetooth audio streaming works well.

6. On the R50, the heated seat adjustability was basically seat cushion and/or seat back. On the GTI, there are multiple levels of heat setting. How do the F56's heated seats compare?

Can't comment - don't have these here in Florida

Old 10-02-2015, 07:48 AM
caiken
2nd Gear
I'm surprised at all the positive comments for the H/K system. I have it and I think it sounds cheap and generally poor.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 AM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by caiken
I'm surprised at all the positive comments for the H/K system. I have it and I think it sounds cheap and generally poor.
Which year/model MINI do you have? The HK quality has varied from generation to generation. My R53 H/K system was AWESOME. The R56/R60 H/K system is horrible. My wife's Countryman's H/K system is a big disappointment. However, the H/K in my 2016 F56 is great - about on par with the R53 H/K.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:40 AM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mct

I use the OEM MINI Click & Drive system. It includes USB power at the tach and offers a universal phone mount option. VERY clean install and works great. A bit pricey but worth it.
Huh, that looks like it would be perfect for my needs. Any chance you have a video of this? I'm curious as to what it look it looks like when you want to retract it.

The stock stereo is TERRIBLE. I had a loaner with a stock stereo and it was painful. The H/K system is AMAZING!!! Well worth the upgrade. Bluetooth audio streaming works well.
The H/K upgrade is just speakers right? i.e. the same head unit.

Old 10-02-2015, 10:36 AM
mct
5th Gear
Huh, that looks like it would be perfect for my needs. Any chance you have a video of this? I'm curious as to what it look it looks like when you want to retract it.

The H/K upgrade is just speakers right? i.e. the same head unit.
I don't have video, but here is a photo of mine installed. I don't ever retract it since I am always using it when I am in the car and I also installed my Scan Gauge on it:

As for the H/K - in addition to better and more speakers, you also get a discreet amplifier. I would think the head unit is the same.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:53 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
After replacing my R50 with GTI in 2008, I'm looking at an F56 as I miss the go-kart handling of a MINI.

The questions:

1. No water intrusion even during a direct stream of water while washing.
2. Yes, it's the exact reason I didn't order an armrest
3. if it doesn't fit in the cupholder, then, ummm.... the passenger seat? I have an iPhone 6s [not plus] and it just barely fits in the cupholder.
4. Yes it charges my iPhone quickly even using MINI Connected
5. Get the harman/kardon, it's worth it.
6. I think they're great. Glad I ordered them.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:59 PM
caiken
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
Which year/model MINI do you have? The HK quality has varied from generation to generation. My R53 H/K system was AWESOME. The R56/R60 H/K system is horrible. My wife's Countryman's H/K system is a big disappointment. However, the H/K in my 2016 F56 is great - about on par with the R53 H/K.
I have a 2015 F56 JCW. I find the unit to not have bass, power, and just not much dynamic range. Also very little adjustability.

Maybe I'm just not listening to the right music. All is via Bluetooth, which seems to work fine with my other vehicles.

Maybe it's just me. I also think the iDrive system is a joke compared to a system with a touch screen.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:54 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by caiken
I have a 2015 F56 JCW. I find the unit to not have bass, power, and just not much dynamic range. Also very little adjustability.

Maybe I'm just not listening to the right music. All is via Bluetooth, which seems to work fine with my other vehicles.

Maybe it's just me. I also think the iDrive system is a joke compared to a system with a touch screen.
That might be your issue... Aside from increasing the bass and/or treble in the entertainment settings of the car, if you are streaming over Bluetooth, the quality of the sound is directly impacted by the source and the source's settings. For example, on my iPhone 6s, I need to make sure I have the volume up all the way when streaming over bluetooth AND I also need to make sure the iPhone's EQ settings are adjusted to my liking in the iPhone's system preferences. The EQ and volume settings on your phone directly carry over to what is heard in the car. Once you set the source input properly, the H/K system comes to LIFE!

Old 10-02-2015, 02:02 PM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mct
I don't have video, but here is a photo of mine installed. I don't ever retract it since I am always using it when I am in the car and I also installed my Scan Gauge on it:
Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't look like Click & Drive is available in Canada.

BTW, I spent a good while trying to figure out what was up with that garage floor before finally noticing the location on your NAV

@ryephile - passenger seat doesn't strike me as a good idea, either because someone is sitting on it, or because the phone could move around during *spirited* driving.

Old 10-02-2015, 02:06 PM
mct
5th Gear
Thanks, unfortunately it doesn't look like Click & Drive is available in Canada.
I bought mine on ebay. I am sure you can pick one up there as well

Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
The questions:

I have an F55 so I don't have the day to day experience, but I've driven a few F56s and none of them seem to have this issue - even in the Seattle rain

I don't think so as long as the armrest is angled down. The default parallel setting is much too high.

I usually throw mine on the passenger seat. Even during "sprited drives", it never flew off the seat - even on a track day where I forgot it was there :p. If I have passengers or if I need it out for whatever reason, I have a simple phone mount it snaps into.

Yes, though it is much slower than I like. If I have to charge, I use a USB car charger that has a much higher output than the built in port.

Keep in mind the speaker system and the headunits are mutually exclusive. You can have the base radio with the Harmon/Kardon speakers and/or you can have the XL system with the standard speakers. I would recommend the Connected system as you'll get Bluetooth audio and some better infotainment functionality you wouldn't get with just the base radio. Also, H/K speakers are a MUST.

Not as warm as my Countryman seats, though those seats got NUCLEAR hot. The F56 heated seats work well and have three settings.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 PM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
I have the 2014 MCS with stock stereo and Sirius and am happy enough with the sound. I had the H/K in my 2011 Justa and really don't miss it very much.

If the blue tooth connectivity is that important than go for the upgraded radio system and perhaps get the Click and Drive unit installed for the phone. I have that but it has a Mini GPS unit on it.

My iPhone 6 charges nicely through the USB connection. It also works quite well through hard wiring through the USB. I was using it for Sirius before getting the car upgraded. In general however I have an iPod plugged in through the USB and stored in my glove compartment. I've also stored my phone in the same place while charging it.

No Armrest but had the aftermarket one on my '11. It was not as useful and got in the way more than I expected. Likely wouldn't follow that path again.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:09 AM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by HogWldFLTR
If the blue tooth connectivity is that important than go for the upgraded radio system
Doesn't the base stereo come with bluetooth? According to the mini canada site, it comes with "Media Connect - Bluetooth & USB".

Originally Posted by siriuszero
I don't think so as long as the armrest is angled down. The default parallel setting is much too high.
Hmm, I've seen complaints that it gets in the way of the handbrake when in the angled position. I want the sport seats, but they are only available in a package with the arm rest.

Anyhow, I appreciate all the answers

Old 10-03-2015, 10:22 AM
mct
5th Gear
Doesn't the base stereo come with bluetooth? According to the mini canada site, it comes with "Media Connect - Bluetooth & USB".
Not sure in Canada, but in US the standard Bluetooth is for phone calls only.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:40 AM
HogWldFLTR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mct
What he said...^^^

Old 10-03-2015, 11:47 AM
KeziaPurrs
2nd Gear
Back to the hk stereo. I have a 2016 Countryman s with the hk system and I think it sounds terrible. I'd hate to hear the stock one.

I had an Infiniti Q50 prior and its premium sound system (Bose) was terrible too. I was hoping the hk would improve over the Bose.

And with the road noise making everything even worse I may need to resort to headphones.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 PM
mct
5th Gear
Originally Posted by KeziaPurrs
Back to the hk stereo. I have a 2016 Countryman s with the hk system and I think it sounds terrible. I'd hate to hear the stock one.

I had an Infiniti Q50 prior and its premium sound system (Bose) was terrible too. I was hoping the hk would improve over the Bose.

And with the road noise making everything even worse I may need to resort to headphones.
Totally agree!!! H/K in R56/R60 is horrible

Old 10-03-2015, 12:47 PM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mct

FFS. I was prepared to order an S as it's possible to get the sport seats without the arm rest, but only if I kept the stock head unit.

Just to confirm, I can't stream audio over bluetooth from my phone, but would need to use the AUX input instead?

Old 10-03-2015, 01:32 PM
MasterYoda
2nd Gear

FFS. I was prepared to order an S as it's possible to get the sport seats without the arm rest, but only if I kept the stock head unit.

Just to confirm, I can't stream audio over bluetooth from my phone, but would need to use the AUX input instead?
There is standard bluetooth and enhanced bluetooth. Enhanced allows audio streaming, standard is just phone calls.

If you don't get the enhanced, you can stream either through the USB or using the aux jack.

Old 10-03-2015, 02:18 PM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Huh, that looks like it would be perfect for my needs. Any chance you have a video of this? I'm curious as to what it look it looks like when you want to retract it.The H/K upgrade is just speakers right? i.e. the same head unit.
No. Totally different, and with many more speakers.

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Looking to return to the MINI fold, and have some questions