F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Recirculate Air, Possible Hack

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 07:45 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Recirculate Air, Possible Hack

If you press the recirculate button immediately after the light goes out, the recirculate air will stay on.

This is repeatable, but it is very difficult to do. You almost have to be pressing the button down when the light goes off, I would say less than a tenth of a second. You will know if you're close to fast enough if the airflow does not drop and then surge back up.

I do not advise trying this while driving.

It does not stay on recirculate after the car has been shutoff.

My car does not have auto-climate control.

I've been trying to repeat this for a couple of days and I have only been sucessful three times. it's very difficult. I was thinking of trying to use a stop watch or an audio track to time it.

I think someone could make an electronic device that would attach to that switch to fake pressing the button.

I will see if I can get a video.

Last edited by hammerhands; 01-15-2016 at 07:51 AM.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 AM
1st JCW
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm confused, why would you even try this? Maybe I missed something.
Originally Posted by hammerhands
If you press the recirculate button immediately after the light goes out, the recirculate air will stay on.

This is repeatable, but it is very difficult to do. You almost have to be pressing the button down when the light goes off, I would say less than a tenth of a second. You will know if you're close to fast enough if the airflow does not drop and then surge back up.

I do not advise trying this while driving.

It does not stay on recirculate after the car has been shutoff.

My car does not have auto-climate control.

I've been trying to repeat this for a couple of days and I have only been sucessful three times. it's very difficult. I was thinking of trying to use a stop watch or an audio track to time it.

I think someone could make an electronic device that would attach to that switch to fake pressing the button.

I will see if I can get a video.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:18 AM
dongood
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a hack

The two common definitions for "hack" is the process of breaking into a computer system, or an uncommon and unusual way to get something done.

The context you are eluding to is a security hack where something nefarious can be performed.

You most likely found a very minor software bug, one that by your own comments is extremely hard to reproduce; not a hack.

Sorry if this sounds like hair splitting but "hack" has connotations that mat not be valid here.

As the doctor said, "if your arm hurts when you move it like that, don't move it like that."

Old 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
The hack would be adding an electronic device to exploit this behaviour.

Originally Posted by 1st JCW
I'm confused, why would you even try this? Maybe I missed something.
If you look around this forum there are a few people wishing to keep the air recirculate on.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...r-problem.html

Last edited by hammerhands; 01-17-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: I am the bigger man
Old 01-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Ray's Solo Coupe
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have owned my 2012 Coupe "S" for 3 years now and never once have I turned the air recirculate button off. Every time I start the car it is "on"..... I went around and around with Mini because my wife's 2014 Clubman turns off every 30 minutes approx. PIA, but Mini said it was a mold issue that they are preventing. Awe hail my Coupe doesn't have a mold issue. So one sorry person had a problem with mold in the USA and every Mini sold is spec'ed one way. My Coupe was spec'ed in Europe for a BMW exec then brought stateside. At least that is the line I was fed when I bought it from the Mini dealer.
I did have an email conversation with a coder trying to work a deal to get a few options coded. I was willing to let the guy go through my Coupe to find the correct programming for recirculate always "on" in exchange for other coding. Then the Mini community could have their recirculate "on" dispite Mini locking us out, but we couldn't come to terms.

Old 01-18-2016, 11:37 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Can someone explain why you wouldn't want fresh air coming in all the time? Do you all live in stinky places? lol

Seriously though, I hear of several people doing this, where they want recirculate air always on and I don't understand why. I know why you would want to do it sometimes, but not all the time.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:01 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Trucks.

In the MINI, below 10'C, the recirculate air turns off after 17 seconds.

I live in a cold city full of rusting trucks.

Last edited by hammerhands; 01-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.