F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 MINI Custom Aftermarket Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 03:16 PM
zipitydooda
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Custom Aftermarket Parts?

I am new to the world of MINI but not to doing mods on nice cars. Is there a MINI aftermarket for upgraded OEM steering wheels? I am picking up a 2016 F55 later this week and it does have the JCW steering wheel installed, so I am excited to see what that feels like.
In other vehicles one of the nicest upgrades was upgrading the OEM steering wheel and I was curious if anyone has found a top end supplier of such a part? I have found a few listed on Ebay, but I would rather hear it from the forum first.

In the Corvette world, you have folks like CaravaggioCorvettes, DS Vettes, Apsis and a few others that will upgrade your OEM steering wheel.

Can you recommend anyone in the world of MINI?

Thanks

Old 03-22-2016, 12:23 PM
MrBreezenovel
1st Gear
I have used DCT Motorsports for many years they have made a lot of custom wheels for me, but I always buy a second wheel and send it to them. They just did one for my C7 (being installed today), and I just sent them one for my new Range Rover

Old 03-22-2016, 02:37 PM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by zipitydooda
I am new to the world of MINI but not to doing mods on nice cars. Is there a MINI aftermarket for upgraded OEM steering wheels? I am picking up a 2016 F55 later this week and it does have the JCW steering wheel installed, so I am excited to see what that feels like.
In other vehicles one of the nicest upgrades was upgrading the OEM steering wheel and I was curious if anyone has found a top end supplier of such a part? I have found a few listed on Ebay, but I would rather hear it from the forum first.

In the Corvette world, you have folks like CaravaggioCorvettes, DS Vettes, Apsis and a few others that will upgrade your OEM steering wheel.

Can you recommend anyone in the world of MINI?

Thanks
I've seen the guys on ebay work. Looks good, I've asked them to do an all leather wheel. They're not interested. While I love carbon fiber, it's not what I want. To date I haven't seen DCT's work. I'm pretty sure both of these companies have their work done overseas.
Redlinegoods offer a service where you order the respective leather cover from them , they ship it to you for inspection, then you ship them your wheel choose the thread color and whether you want padding and thumb grips.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:05 AM
MrBreezenovel
1st Gear
They do have their work done overseas but I have never been disappointed, my C7 wheel looks great they did exactly what I asked for all leather only. I never have it any other way.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:31 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Pics???

Old 03-23-2016, 05:15 AM
MrBreezenovel
1st Gear
here is a picture of the c7 wheel

Attached Thumbnails MINI Custom Aftermarket Parts?-img_0906.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 AM
pjsjr13
4th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
That looks great

Old 03-23-2016, 05:41 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
just jcw wheel is already quite nice. You might give it a shot before trying to upgrade. That being said I've also heard a lot of good things about DCT. I plan on getting a 996 wheel from them at some point.

Old 03-23-2016, 03:34 PM
camptown
2nd Gear
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Steering Wheel ****

and I had a screen name issue, so I am actually the OP for this thread. zipitydooda is now Camptown.

Ok
Just to update this a bit, I did like the factory JCW wheel, but I LOVE this steering wheel. I decided to take a chance on this vendor I found on Ebay and again on Facebook. Since they are making wheels for Audi, Lambo and other exotics I figured the build quality should be up to par for a MINI. Nexon Motors and Carbon Mini combined to make this steering wheel. It's has a thicker feel and the carbon fiber feels great and the leather and sticking is first class all the way. Then I added the Carbon Mini overlays to the stems to round out the carbon look. And all of this is inside a "Carbon Edition" MINI, so it's a natural fit. I had my car in for an oil change today and all of the techs were checking out the wheel and asking me questions if it was a stock part or where I found it.

Onto the pictures
Nexon Motors Wheel

Name:  DSC04286.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  304.4 KB

Name:  DSC04289.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  308.8 KB

NOW WITH THE CARBON MINI OVERLAYS ADDED

Name:  untitled-228-1.jpeg
Views: 780
Size:  234.1 KB

Name:  DSC04306.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  337.5 KB

Old 03-24-2016, 02:00 AM
MrBreezenovel
1st Gear
Not usually a carbon fiber (or anything but leather) steering wheel fan, but that does look very nice.

Old 03-24-2016, 06:13 AM
D.D.
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Really, really N-I-C-E............I like that a-lot.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:36 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,100 Likes on 1,873 Posts
That looks great.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-27-2016, 04:56 AM
MrBreezenovel
1st Gear
Turns out I like the JCW wheel (for now) and since there does not seem to be a way (at least not one I have found yet) to be able to use paddles if the car did not come with them (I would love to be totally wrong about this so feel free to enlighten me), I will leave it alone for now. After all car only has 26 miles on it.

Old 03-27-2016, 06:18 AM
USA-RET
6th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 127 Posts
Beautiful Steering wheel. Well done

Originally Posted by camptown
and I had a screen name issue, so I am actually the OP for this thread. zipitydooda is now Camptown.

Ok
Just to update this a bit, I did like the factory JCW wheel, but I LOVE this steering wheel. I decided to take a chance on this vendor I found on Ebay and again on Facebook. Since they are making wheels for Audi, Lambo and other exotics I figured the build quality should be up to par for a MINI. Nexon Motors and Carbon Mini combined to make this steering wheel. It's has a thicker feel and the carbon fiber feels great and the leather and sticking is first class all the way. Then I added the Carbon Mini overlays to the stems to round out the carbon look. And all of this is inside a "Carbon Edition" MINI, so it's a natural fit. I had my car in for an oil change today and all of the techs were checking out the wheel and asking me questions if it was a stock part or where I found it.

Onto the pictures
Nexon Motors Wheel

NOW WITH THE CARBON MINI OVERLAYS ADDED

Old 03-29-2016, 04:22 AM
MrBreezenovel
1st Gear
Changed my mind turns out I don't like the steering wheel just bought another wheel yesterday, sending to DCT (this will make the third wheel this year )as soon as it gets here, I rally do not like those thumb grips having them removed just like on the C7 wheel. Do not get this obsession with thumb grips on cars that will likely never drive past a track let along be on one. My shop just picked up the car a couple minutes ago new tires, JB4 install, and I am letting them see if they can get the AWE unit in. In all fairness I have only one good hand (my dominant hand is in wrist brace most of the time old age and arthritis take their toll), and my Aspergers does allow for much tolerance when things do not work the way they should right away.

Old 03-29-2016, 12:42 PM
dcummer
1st Gear
Wow camptown, that Nexon steering wheel looks amazing !!! No wonder the techs were all over it. Gutsy move taking a chance on it, you really scored. Looks incredible.