F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Calling all autox/track guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:03 PM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowImg
I really would be surprised if there is improvement to be had with a BBK on the chassis at the weight and power it's at. There's always room for improvement with ABS deletes, removing boosters, proper track temp pads. I could see in a spec challenge doing extremely lightweight calipers and rotors - but I don't think it needs that big braking surface at the weight it's at. I'm guessing you can put a LOT of power in before you'd have temperature issues from overall heat too.

If we were looking at like a 3500lb race weight I'd see it. The Mini is closer to 2900 though isn't it?
all true. The bbk argument is more for going with a 17" verses a smaller diameter. I have a rear seat delete and oz wheels now and my weight sans driver is 2700 lb. if I ever get around to upgrading my stock brakes i'd just go for forged calipers and floating rotors with good pads. Even then it would be overkill for my random jaunts to the track. It sure would look sexy though

Originally Posted by goin2drt
@randomquickness. Now it makes sense. I totally didn't catch you were looking for 17. My bad. I am running 18.
yep, just not as good of a track tire selection and more expensive with the 18s.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:15 PM
ShadowImg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yup, most BBKs I think people do for the looks more than anything. Which is totally fine - they also provide an interesting feel on the street that can be pretty confident and nice. If you're really going full on track route, my guess is it would be better to stay with 16s, use the gearing from it, and try to get some sort of ducting in to the barkes.

For AutoX, I'd try to keep to 15 even. At that weight, you don't need much tire and you don't need much brake, but lightness always helps.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:04 PM
goin2drt
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ShadowImg
Yup, most BBKs I think people do for the looks more than anything. Which is totally fine - they also provide an interesting feel on the street that can be pretty confident and nice. If you're really going full on track route, my guess is it would be better to stay with 16s, use the gearing from it, and try to get some sort of ducting in to the barkes.

For AutoX, I'd try to keep to 15 even. At that weight, you don't need much tire and you don't need much brake, but lightness always helps.
Interesting and I probably should post in a separate thread as we are high jacking randomquickness' thread.

I am no expert but AX seems to be all about better traction and getting as wide of a tire as possible. To my I would think going to 18 and getting a wider tire with a little extra weight would be better than narrower lighter setup. Then again I am still a newb at AX.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:40 PM
ShadowImg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by goin2drt
Interesting and I probably should post in a separate thread as we are high jacking randomquickness' thread.

I am no expert but AX seems to be all about better traction and getting as wide of a tire as possible. To my I would think going to 18 and getting a wider tire with a little extra weight would be better than narrower lighter setup. Then again I am still a newb at AX.
Nothing stopping you from doing a low profile 15x8 setup. Will be much lighter than an 18x8, and effectively give you a gear ratio for better torque. It will matter even more on a track, where you're unlikely to ever use 6th, and 5th may even be crappy. If you drop that circumference down, you have more usable gearing.

AutoX can go either way - I haven't done it with the Mini, sometimes going too low will make you top out 2nd and have to go between 2/3 too much and cost you time. It's always an experiment, sometimes you need to change it for different courses even.

Lighter always wins though, and all other things being equal, a 15x8 will always be lighter than a 17x8 or 18x8.