F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Add USB port connected to head unit USB2 - what cable?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 07:16 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 303 Likes on 241 Posts
Add USB port connected to head unit USB2 - what cable?

Been doing some reading and trying to sort what cable I need to lay hands on -- a part number, product link, anything -- to pull this off. Simple in theory. Run a cable from the USB2 port on the back of the head unit to a female USB A port, just like there is already a cable running from a port on the back of the head unit to a female USB A port in the center console below the radio and in front of the shifter.

Reading through this thread over on the Clubman/F54 side of the universe had good info but it dead ended at the same place I am.

I have a 2017 F56 Cooper S with the Visual Boost head unit, likely the same as in this post in the thread documenting a successful attempt to do what I would like to do in my Mini. But the link to the cable he bought from eBay is long dead. I've been able to figure out that searching for HSD (High Speed Data) cables for head unit to USB in BMW parts searches is a start. But there are a bunch of these things with a wide price range. Haven't been able to puzzle it out using RealOEM or minifans.info (which doesn't recognize my VIN, go figure).

Anybody know what cable -- or even better, anybody who has done this, can you advise what cable you used -- that will get this done?

For folks wanting to know WHYYYYYY, I have the Mini Click & Drive unit and am using its USB (which is power only -- no data) to connect a Qi cradle. When the phone is in the cradle, going to plug the phone into this additional USB for data. Don't want a cable dangling to below the radio so this additional USB will be installed "somewhere closer." If I can pull this off, anyway...

EDIT: GRRR ARRRGH original plan to use Qi for charging while using USB for data won't work:

Your iPhone won't charge wirelessly when connected to USB. If your iPhone is connected to your computer with USB, or if it's connected to a USB power adapter, your iPhone will charge using the USB connection." Straight from Apple.
A quick Google suggests the same is true for at least Samsung phones. May be a general Qi thing: prefer cabled of Qi for charging if both are available.

Well, I guess the phone data connection is going to be Bluetooth. Curious about the cable anyway though on principle, I may have other uses for it, so if you have intel let me know

Thanks!

Last edited by cjv2; 06-18-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 08:06 AM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I did this exact same project a couple of years back and everything still works for me... I documented my process and the parts/cables I used in the post you originally referenced https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...sb-port-2.html

Old 06-18-2021, 08:20 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bgdrewsif
I did this exact same project a couple of years back and everything still works for me... I documented my process and the parts/cables I used in the post you originally referenced https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...sb-port-2.html
Hey! Nice to meet you -- your posts in that thread are great and that's part of what got me started!

One problem: the eBay link in your post with the pics is 100% dead! So I don't know what part you used. Do you have a part number, anything that would help me ID the part in your pics?

Old 06-18-2021, 06:16 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cjv2
Hey! Nice to meet you -- your posts in that thread are great and that's part of what got me started!

One problem: the eBay link in your post with the pics is 100% dead! So I don't know what part you used. Do you have a part number, anything that would help me ID the part in your pics?
You need a cable to connect to the USB port on the NBT Head unit behind the center screen. What you want to look for online is a cable that connects to an E-series or F-series BMW. The connections are the same. I found a couple of links on eBay tonight for what I am talking about. I cannot guarantee anything in terms of fit/quality but if I was looking to buy those cables today this is what I would go for. The first one is the exact cable I bought: Cable I bought or you can go for a less cumbersome looking option with this cable HERE

Old 06-18-2021, 06:19 PM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
Also, keep in mind that you will also need to do some relatively minor coding to activate the vehicle's second USB connection otherwise anything you plug into it won't be recognized or show up as an available connected device on the car's connections menu. I just use Bimmercod and had no problems with it at all.

Old 06-19-2021, 07:44 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
You need a cable to connect to the USB port on the NBT Head unit behind the center screen. What you want to look for online is a cable that connects to an E-series or F-series BMW. The connections are the same. I found a couple of links on eBay tonight for what I am talking about. I cannot guarantee anything in terms of fit/quality but if I was looking to buy those cables today this is what I would go for. The first one is the exact cable I bought: Cable I bought or you can go for a less cumbersome looking option with this cable HERE
Also, keep in mind that you will also need to do some relatively minor coding to activate the vehicle's second USB connection otherwise anything you plug into it won't be recognized or show up as an available connected device on the car's connections menu. I just use Bimmercod and had no problems with it at all.
Appreciate the detail -- sorting through which cables would work was turning into quite the exercise. Didn't realize the cable at the first link was the one you used - very cool! I just placed an order for the one at the second link, going to see if I can do a very discreet install with the USB-A port very close to the phone, surface mount the port on the back of the Click & Drive (or in other very-close-to-phone location -- I have a few ideas), so that I can use a very short cord from the port to the phone. This is going to be interesting.

Delivery time on the cable may be a spell (Jul 1 to Jul 20 is the window), but will return and post install pics when that time finally comes.

10-4 re coding. I caught that detail in your original posts in the other thread as well.

I *really* appreciate your help here. Thank you!

Old 06-19-2021, 07:51 AM
bgdrewsif
2nd Gear
I connected the USB outlet in my click and drive to the USB cable hooked up to the car's system so that it is fully integrated into the car as a USB interface like the one in the lower center dash... and I used a USB y splitter to hook up my wireless charging pad/cradle that is attached to the click and drive arm so it is also powered. No I can use both but if I plug my phone into the USB connection I cannot also charge the phone wirelessly, it is just a motorized cradle to hold my phone. Or I can not plug in the USB to the phone and then charge wirelessly and use Bluetooth to stream audio from my phone to the car... but it is an either/or scenario. I'll try to post a couple of pics later this afternoon.

Old 06-19-2021, 08:07 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
I connected the USB outlet in my click and drive to the USB cable hooked up to the car's system so that it is fully integrated into the car as a USB interface like the one in the lower center dash... and I used a USB y splitter to hook up my wireless charging pad/cradle that is attached to the click and drive arm so it is also powered. No I can use both but if I plug my phone into the USB connection I cannot also charge the phone wirelessly, it is just a motorized cradle to hold my phone. Or I can not plug in the USB to the phone and then charge wirelessly and use Bluetooth to stream audio from my phone to the car... but it is an either/or scenario. I'll try to post a couple of pics later this afternoon.
I'm trying to sort the same as you -- power the wireless charger and use Bluetooth, but also have an option for plugging the phone into the USB connection for data to the head unit for "if I happen to want to do that." I concluded same about the either/or scenario and, apparently like you, want to wire it up for the best possible scenario anyway.

One thing I'm wondering -- charging power output from the head unit vs. from the wire-to-the-body approach intended by Mini. Any difference?

Definitely interested in those pics, and in knowing more about how/where you situated the Y splitter!