F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Leak Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 12:29 PM
Banner28
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Leak Question

Good Afternoon,

I was wondering if anyone here might be able to possibly help me out in tracking a mystery leak I've noticed since 1/4/22.
Initially, I noticed the leak as being an oil leak (turns out I didn't tighten the oil filter housing all the way causing a leak) but I completed a full oil change and have now noticed two separate "puddles" wherever I park.

One has a blue-ish tint to it which I believe to be windshield washer fluid and will check at a later date to see if my reservoir is leaking. The other "puddle" has no color to it and appears to just be water.
After I discovered the oil leak, I degreased the entire engine bay with some GUNK Engine Degreaser and hosed it down thoroughly.

I have not been losing oil as I've been checking it almost daily to ensure that everything is secure and no longer leaking. My coolant levels have been normal with only one minor top-off needed a couple of days ago but that has been normal with the wide range in temperatures we've been experiencing here in Texas.

The vehicle is a 2015 F55 S.

Does anyone have any ideas? Could it be from the heater as I've been running it on auto and set to roughly 76 degrees?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-21-2022, 09:00 AM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 303 Likes on 241 Posts
Not-water has a pretty tough time being confused as water, so I'm guessing your water puddle is indeed water.

I have an F56S (2017) rather than an F55, but under the F56S there is an actual port under the vehicle that all HVAC condensation runs out of, and that would indeed leave you with a "puddle" in a particular under-vehicle spot. Are you familiar with that port, and if so, have you checked to see if it is wet post-drive?

Just a thought, but an easy "functioning as designed" thing to cross-check/eliminate. The location threw me the first time I noted it under my F56S. If you've already eliminated this possibility then disregard my bright idea

Old 01-21-2022, 01:41 PM
Banner28
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cjv2
Not-water has a pretty tough time being confused as water, so I'm guessing your water puddle is indeed water.

I have an F56S (2017) rather than an F55, but under the F56S there is an actual port under the vehicle that all HVAC condensation runs out of, and that would indeed leave you with a "puddle" in a particular under-vehicle spot. Are you familiar with that port, and if so, have you checked to see if it is wet post-drive?

Just a thought, but an easy "functioning as designed" thing to cross-check/eliminate. The location threw me the first time I noted it under my F56S. If you've already eliminated this possibility then disregard my bright idea
That's what I was thinking it was, I just didn't know if anyone else had encountered a similar issue.

I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with the port you're referring to if you're referring to the rubber piece that sits lower than the undertray.
I haven't checked that area yet seeing as how the puddles appear to be located more towards the front of the vehicle towards the edges of the intercooler and just inside of the area where the fog lights are.

I don't disregard any ideas because you're at least trying to help. Sometimes the solution is the simplest thing that gets overlooked

Old 01-21-2022, 02:06 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Received 303 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by Banner28
That's what I was thinking it was, I just didn't know if anyone else had encountered a similar issue.

I'm pretty sure I'm familiar with the port you're referring to if you're referring to the rubber piece that sits lower than the undertray.
I haven't checked that area yet seeing as how the puddles appear to be located more towards the front of the vehicle towards the edges of the intercooler and just inside of the area where the fog lights are.

I don't disregard any ideas because you're at least trying to help. Sometimes the solution is the simplest thing that gets overlooked
LOL. Gotcha -- I follow. Yeah, my experience was more one of "what on earth is a puddle doing *there*" and then going "oh there's a port like literally there, that's a weird spot in my mind but hey, that's where they put it so ok"

I can see other condensation scenarios in other areas, maybe, but like you, it would lead me to investigate in the immediate area to find the source (and an explanation for the unevaporated excess).