F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 2015 F55, 3/2015 build, can't put gas in tank!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024 | 02:13 PM
valvashon
|
5th Gear
2015 F55, 3/2015 build, can't put gas in tank!

2015 4 door F55. Difficulty putting gas in tank in December when it was below zero. Took it to a different gas station and was able to put gas in. Did it again this past month when it was cold and threw the engine light. Used a friend's "Blue Driver" scanner to pull the "increased emmissions possible" code. Did some research, then bought a replacement underhood Purge Valve which was supposed to cure the issue. Still can't fill the tank. You can squeeze a bit in and then pull the hose out and watch what is sitting there bubble in. Light is still on and I assume the same code. Different gas stations, same thing.

Any ideas? There was a campaign for this problem for the 2014 builds but a 3/2015 model is past that and this is a new problem in a car with 83,000 miles on it. And no, we don't and never have continued filling after the pump shuts off (when it was working). We are car people and know better.

Am I looking at a new charcoal canister? I want to fix it, not just throw parts at it.

Thanks

Val

Old 03-09-2024 | 05:18 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Originally Posted by valvashon
2015 4 door F55. Difficulty putting gas in tank in December when it was below zero. Took it to a different gas station and was able to put gas in. Did it again this past month when it was cold and threw the engine light. Used a friend's "Blue Driver" scanner to pull the "increased emmissions possible" code. Did some research, then bought a replacement underhood Purge Valve which was supposed to cure the issue. Still can't fill the tank. You can squeeze a bit in and then pull the hose out and watch what is sitting there bubble in. Light is still on and I assume the same code. Different gas stations, same thing.

Any ideas? There was a campaign for this problem for the 2014 builds but a 3/2015 model is past that and this is a new problem in a car with 83,000 miles on it. And no, we don't and never have continued filling after the pump shuts off (when it was working). We are car people and know better.

Am I looking at a new charcoal canister? I want to fix it, not just throw parts at it.

Thanks

Val
First guess (after the tank vent valve) would be, as you apparently got to, something up with the charcoal canister.

May or may not mean replacement, I think I read one post in some forum somewhere where the person pulled the canister, gave it a good shake, determined that doing so got it out of whatever abnormal condition it had (he could hear things moving around as he shook it), reinstalled it and boom, problem solved. Maybe you'd be as lucky?

Beyond the charcoal canister (whether "repair" or replace), I recall while looking into this question discussion of other venting points in the system, but I would have to dig to recall what they are.

Old 03-16-2024 | 12:27 PM
valvashon
|
5th Gear
So I just pulled the canister out (more of a flat thing the size and shape of a large textbook) and was able to shake some gasoline out of it. It didn't exactly pour out non stop but as I shook it around it gas would come out, maybe 1/4 cup total so far. It's sitting out in the sun right now in a drain pan thing to catch any gas. It's warmer out today and the engine light was off before I started this.
Any ideas?

Thanks

Old 03-16-2024 | 12:41 PM
cjv2
5th Gear
Originally Posted by valvashon
So I just pulled the canister out (more of a flat thing the size and shape of a large textbook) and was able to shake some gasoline out of it. It didn't exactly pour out non stop but as I shook it around it gas would come out, maybe 1/4 cup total so far. It's sitting out in the sun right now in a drain pan thing to catch any gas. It's warmer out today and the engine light was off before I started this.
Any ideas?

Thanks
I would let it drain completely -- from what I read having liquid gasoline inside the canister is a problem that can directly contribute to your fill-up symptom. Whether it is your root cause or both a problem and an effect of another root cause probably won't become clear until after you have reassembled it all and tried your first fill-up.

Two thoughts.

(1) Check out this thread in the forum, and in particular post #4 from @RockAZ which includes the following explicit reference to the charcoal canister piece of the puzzle:

"Fuel in the canister will not allow fumes to pass through because it is now clogged and it makes the gas station pump shut off. Which is only annoying at first, but soon it affects the whole fuel system with bits of charcoal dissolved into your gas lines."
(2) If, as a consequence of the charcoal canister being removed, you have access to any sort of visible venting mechanisms in the EVAP system, inspect them and check their operation to the best of intuitive ability: make sure nothing seems stuck, caked, gunked up, you get the idea.