F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Remus Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024, 08:50 AM
pokochan
Neutral
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Remus Exhaust Questions

Hello everyone. I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust of my 2019 Mini Cooper S to the Remus Racing Axle-Back exhaust but I had some questions.
  • Are all of the exhaust tips the same length or are some of them longer than others?
  • Do the north american mini coopers require the connection tube for installation?
  • How much should I expect to pay for installation if I take it to a shop? I asked one shop and they quoted me $500cad (~$370usd)
Thank you in advance.

The following users liked this post:
TacticalTortoise (07-23-2024)
Old 07-18-2024, 08:09 AM
johnnys2quick
2nd Gear
Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by pokochan
Hello everyone. I'm looking to upgrade the exhaust of my 2019 Mini Cooper S to the Remus Racing Axle-Back exhaust but I had some questions.
  • Are all of the exhaust tips the same length or are some of them longer than others?
  • Do the north american mini coopers require the connection tube for installation?
  • How much should I expect to pay for installation if I take it to a shop? I asked one shop and they quoted me $500cad (~$370usd)
Thank you in advance.
On my 2017 the exhaust system was welded from the down pipe all the way to the tale pipe. This suggests that axel back would require the factory exhaust to be measured and cut. Maybe look at some YouTube videos on the subject and see if you want to take on the job. $375usd seems like a lot. If you think about the shop rate being $150.00 per hour the exhaust isn't a two hour job on a lift.

pokochan (07-24-2024)
Old 07-23-2024, 07:24 PM
TacticalTortoise
Neutral
Thank you in advance.
As johnnys2quick mentioned above the axle back requires cutting and this is significantly more unnecessary work.(*unnecessary depending on your local Laws*)
I purchased this: Catback Option for my Canadian 2018 Cooper S about a month and a half ago. If you have an exhaust hanger removal tool Its like a 20 minute job to swap the stock for this. andyes it will fit.
In fact it has also since been moved over to my 2024 JCW and fits without issue.
the "not for facelift" is a disclaimer required either because of emissions laws prevent them from marketing it that way, or less likely because they have not verified fit.
I can verify that it will fit for you! if you have any questions about it ask away.
And if you happen to be relatively local to me I might be able to help! send me a message!

The exhaust tips may vary in length, but the way you clamp them down you have some play in how far you might want them sticking out anyway
I'm not sure what connection tube your talking about. as my hands on experience is with the catback version.
cat back option all you need is some simple tools and a way to get the car off the ground enough to access the entire length of the exhaust.

Last edited by TacticalTortoise; 07-23-2024 at 07:30 PM. Reason: extra info
pokochan (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 05:53 AM
pokochan
Neutral
Originally Posted by TacticalTortoise
As johnnys2quick mentioned above the axle back requires cutting and this is significantly more unnecessary work.(*unnecessary depending on your local Laws*)
I purchased this: Catback Option for my Canadian 2018 Cooper S about a month and a half ago. If you have an exhaust hanger removal tool Its like a 20 minute job to swap the stock for this. andyes it will fit.
In fact it has also since been moved over to my 2024 JCW and fits without issue.
the "not for facelift" is a disclaimer required either because of emissions laws prevent them from marketing it that way, or less likely because they have not verified fit.
I can verify that it will fit for you! if you have any questions about it ask away.
And if you happen to be relatively local to me I might be able to help! send me a message!.
Oh interesting. I never considered the pre-facelift parts because I took that disclaimer at face value. But that theory of it being related to emissions laws makes sense cause I think that's when they started slapping on GPFs to Minis in Europe.

The exhaust tips may vary in length, but the way you clamp them down you have some play in how far you might want them sticking out anyway
I see. I'll just have to roll the dice with the stainless steel tips and hope that it doesn't stick out too much.

I'm not sure what connection tube your talking about. as my hands on experience is with the catback version.
cat back option all you need is some simple tools and a way to get the car off the ground enough to access the entire length of the exhaust.
Both of the facelift versions of remus exhausts offer a "connection tube" as a $200 option. It doesn't mention if it's required or something that would allow you to get away with not having to cut the stock exhaust. But hearing that the pre-facelift exhausts are compatible with facelift minis is a huge relief since it'll be substantially cheaper.

On the catback exhaust page that you linked, it says "The distance tube U7 (SKU: AD0181) for mounting the cat-back system on China/USA/Korea models must ordered serparately.", did you have to order that part? Or are Minis in the USA different from ones in Canada?

TacticalTortoise (07-24-2024)
Old 07-24-2024, 10:39 AM
TacticalTortoise
Neutral
Oh interesting.
Both of the facelift versions of remus exhausts offer a "connection tube" as a $200 option. It doesn't mention if it's required or something that would allow you to get away with not having to cut the stock exhaust. But hearing that the pre-facelift exhausts are compatible with facelift minis is a huge relief since it'll be substantially cheaper.

On the catback exhaust page that you linked, it says "The distance tube U7 (SKU: AD0181) for mounting the cat-back system on China/USA/Korea models must ordered serparately.", did you have to order that part? Or are Minis in the USA different from ones in Canada?
I actually ordered from ECS here: ECS Option

it lists the Kit contents as follows :

102mm Angled-Cut Carbon Exhaust Tips - Pair (or pick some more reasonable tips!)
Cat-back system consisting of:
70 mm stainless steel front silencer replacement tube,
1 stainless steel connection tube and
stainless steel sport exhaust (without tail pipes) with integrated valve

Sound Controller/Electronic Module/Electrical Actuators/Wiring
Remus Turbo Exhaust Adapter

The names of the different parts seem to get changed/lost in translation from place to place so its difficult to know for sure,
but this link from Way Motor Works shows clearly every item exactly how I had received them from ECS (aside from the tips being different).

The guys at Remus Canada were also supper helpful over the phone when trying to get some replacement parts.
If your planning on ordering from Remus Canada direct, I'd Suggest giving them a call or shoot an email with this information and confirm all the parts needed with them.

Also note that the sound control module is not mandatory but its nice to be able to close the valve when/if you feel like being less obnoxious. ( mines open 99% of the time anyway! lol)

Last edited by TacticalTortoise; 07-24-2024 at 10:44 AM. Reason: adition of info
Old 07-24-2024, 10:52 AM
pokochan
Neutral
I actually ordered from ECS here: ECS Option

it lists the Kit contents as follows :

102mm Angled-Cut Carbon Exhaust Tips - Pair (or pick some more reasonable tips!)
Cat-back system consisting of:
70 mm stainless steel front silencer replacement tube,
1 stainless steel connection tube and
stainless steel sport exhaust (without tail pipes) with integrated valve

Sound Controller/Electronic Module/Electrical Actuators/Wiring
Remus Turbo Exhaust Adapter

The names of the different parts seem to get changed/lost in translation from place to place so its difficult to know for sure,
but this link from Way Motor Works shows clearly every item exactly how I had received them from ECS (aside from the tips being different).

The guys at Remus Canada were also supper helpful over the phone when trying to get some replacement parts.
If your planning on ordering from Remus Canada direct, I'd Suggest giving them a call or shoot an email with this information and confirm all the parts needed with them.

Also note that the sound control module is not mandatory but its nice to be able to close the valve when/if you feel like being less obnoxious. ( mines open 99% of the time anyway! lol)
Oh I see. Thank you. I'll give them a call. Which tips did you go with?

Old 07-24-2024, 11:56 AM
TacticalTortoise
Neutral
Oh I see. Thank you. I'll give them a call. Which tips did you go with?
The angled carbon ones I thought looked best on the Volcanic Orange S, and they look even better on the black JCW.
They are definitely expensive.
I think the gloss black tips or even the angled chrome depending on your trim color would look fantastic as well.