F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Warranty Extension (MINI USA): Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) Purge Valve

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 06:54 AM
cjv2
|
5th Gear
Warranty Extension (MINI USA): Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) Purge Valve

Got a letter yesterday from MINI USA. Here it is verbatim. The "Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System Purge Valve" would seem to be the valve sitting atop the intake manifold, dead center, just below the plastic acoustic cover (aka the "pretty cover"). Easy to access, many of us have talked about it, some of us have had to replace it already.

There is a Reference in the letter: "MINI-ELW Purge Valve 15Y150M".

There are 2 additional pages (beyond what I have transcribed below) outlining how repair and/or reimbursement works.

In other discussions some have noted that the Purge Valve refers to or may refer to something else on different vehicles, or even a different part on different MINIs (prior generations I presume). This is fine and acknowledged. Unfortunately, the language around this valve and around EVAP valves and EVAP purge valves and vent valves gets pretty loose out there. So take the time to confirm that this letter refers to the part I have pointed out -- I have cross-checked but sorting it kind of is what it is.

If you find out it is something other than this part:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=13_1568

Please advise ASAP so that I can correct/update this post.

Hope this is useful.

October 2024

Effective as of the date above, the following Important Vehicle Limited Warranty Information applies to the MINI model with Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) [redacted].

Dear MINI Owner/Lessee:

MINI USA, a division of BMW of North America, LLC ("MINI USA") is extending the limited warranty for the:
  • Evaporative Emission Control (EVAP) System's Purge Valve on the above-referenced vehicle to:
  • 15 years/150,000 miles, whichever occurs first, as determined from your vehicle's original in-service date.
This component-specific extended limited warranty (ELW) applies to defects in materials and/or worksmanship. This coverage is subject to the same vehicle eligibility requirements and limitations that apply to the MINI New Passenger Car Limited Warranty.

If your vehicle is registered in a state that fully adopted the California emission regulation, the emission relevant coverage for your vehicle's purge valve is 15 years/150,000 miles.

This is not a notice of a Recall or Service Action. This is a notice of a "component-specific extended limited warranty."

Over time, the EVAP system's purge (vent) valve may devlop material and operational issues, this can cause hard starting, and the engine to run rough, especially while idling. Additionally, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) may also illuminate.

If your vehicle is experiencing a situation like the one described above, please contact your authorized MINI dealer to schedule an appointment to have the issue with your vehicle diagnosed.

After the MINI dealer confirms that the scope of the component-specific extended limited warranty coverage corresponds and applies to a required vehicle repair, and your vehicle qualifies, the authorized MINI dealer will perform the covered purge valve repair work free of charge.

Repairs performed on ineligible vehicles, eligible vehicles operated and repaired outside the United States and Puerto Rico, the diagnosis and repair of issues and items that are outside the intended scope of this extended coverage, other unrelated issues, and/or that are due to outside influence are not covered by this extended limited warranty. This exclusion also applies to repairs that were performed using (including those repairs that result from using) non-genuine MINI parts and/or used MINI passenger car parts.

MINI NA will also reimburse qualifying customer-pay repairs performed prior to the release of this component-specific extended limited warranty, as described in this letter.

Our product's integrity is essential to MINI's success, and your trust. We are determined to exceed those expectations and hope this warranty extension will further enhance your ownership experience.

Sincerely,

MINI USA

The following users liked this post:
FlyingScot57 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday | 07:58 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received the letter today for our F60 as well.

Love how it says, "This is not a notice of a Recall or Service Action. This is a notice of a "component-specific extended limited warranty."

Old Today | 07:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the update, yep if it fails they replace. We have it in bremmen parts for a low price, if mine went i would just change it in the parking lot out here at ECS and save a trip to the dealer.

I changed my Genuine MINI thermostat on the R58 JCW here with bremmen parts even though it was under warranty extension, they could not even get me a loaner for like 2 weeks.

If its a recall they change it before it fails which is much better.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
The following 2 users liked this post by ECSTuning:
cjv2 (Today), FlyingScot57 (Today)
Old Today | 03:18 PM
cjv2
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by ECSTuning
Thanks for the update, yep if it fails they replace. We have it in bremmen parts for a low price, if mine went i would just change it in the parking lot out here at ECS and save a trip to the dealer.
I feel about the same way. I spent under $30 to get a replacement part (manufactured by Bosch, which makes the Genuine BMW/MINI part as well). At that price it's a DIY well worth it for me without dealer/shop drama of any kind.