F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 About to buy a new F56, need some experts' advice!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 06:23 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About to buy a new F56, need some experts' advice!

Hi there MINIacs!

I'm about to buy my first MINI, a brand new F56, but I'm not sure which one to pick!

Basically, should I get the a base Cooper fully equipped or a Cooper S, with a much better engine and not even a sunroof? Those two options cost almost the same for me, and although I can appreciate the higher HP of the S, I'm not sure which way to go.

Also, I like driving a stick and I find the manual transmission more enjoyable, but I also think it might become tiresome during high density traffic. I live in a large city and I don't usually travel long distances to other cities.

I know both of these questions are too subjective, and that there's not one single truth, but you'd be very helpful to me just by posting your opinion and experience.

S with little equipment or base cooper fully equipped? Manual or automatic?

Also, will the armrest get in the way in the case of the manual transmission?

HELP please! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Acrofilo; 06-23-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:32 PM
SeppTB
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I went with the base with extra options, but the added power of the S wasn't a big factor for me. I think to answer that question you'll need to test drive both. The base has surprising acceleration thanks to all the low RPM torque, its a blast, but the S... even more!
Also, which exterior do you like more? I was turned off by the look of the front end on the S, I think the base looks a bit cleaner for the redesign, though I do like the back-end on the S more.

I'm not a manual driver so I cannot comment there

Old 06-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Yes, I agree the S is a little too busy on the front. I have also thought about just going with a less equipped base cooper and save some money. The extra bucks would only get me the navigation which in my country (I live in Mexico City) is not as good because I reckon it won't give traffic and such...

For the moment, I'm liking the red and black. Also the volcanic orange but it might be a little to flashy and my gf says its for teenagers... but I do like it! I don't want to call out so much attention, though

Old 06-23-2014, 06:36 PM
Mr. T
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everyone has an opinion, Ray, which you will soon discover here at NAM. I can tell you what I've heard around town about the new F56. Many people have commented on how much more improved the Cooper performance is over the previous generation. And if you're considering the Cooper S, slightly better performance over the previous generation. Others have said that the F56 Cooper is plenty of car for most peoples uses. The lower cost does allow for some additional creature comforts you might skip on the Cooper S version. I suggest driving both and making your decision then. Good Luck!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:38 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
I've test driven and I did notice the S is more powerful, but since I'm usually just commuting in traffic and not in free roads, highways, etc... would it be stupid to get the S?

Old 06-23-2014, 06:45 PM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Acrofilo
I've test driven and I did notice the S is more powerful, but since I'm usually just commuting in traffic and not in free roads, highways, etc... would it be stupid to get the S?
Nope. I commute a lot. Nothing better than to get out of traffic and get on it a bit.

Or get on it leaving work...knowing I'm about to hit traffic.

The Justa wouldn't be bad at all...but the S is just fun.

Had an R56 MCS. Got an F56 MCS...wouldn't change a thing.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:47 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chrisfowler99
Nope. I commute a lot. Nothing better than to get out of traffic and get on it a bit.

Or get on it leaving work...knowing I'm about to hit traffic.

The Justa wouldn't be bad at all...but the S is just fun.

Had an R56 MCS. Got an F56 MCS...wouldn't change a thing.
So you're saying the S is much more fun even while commuting in traffic?

I have to confess I also look forward going into the car if I know it's engine is powerful.... even if I don't get to use that power... I guess we're on the same page here

Old 06-23-2014, 06:48 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
BTW, anyone around here have got a manual? I'm really worried about the armrest getting in the way or it being too tiresome during traffic... any opinions?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:00 PM
Lawrence F
2nd Gear
I have an armrest in my manual F56 (non-S) and it doesn't bother me one bit. It has a nice feature where you can adjust it down past parallel to angle your arm better.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:02 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lawrence F
I have an armrest in my manual F56 (non-S) and it doesn't bother me one bit. It has a nice feature where you can adjust it down past parallel to angle your arm better.
I' have read that you can adjust the armrest but rather than lower it, they say you "tilt" it? Can you explain this? Thanks!

Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
I have an armrest in my manual S and keep it tilted up to avoid shifting conflicts. Other ppl may or may not have a problem with the armrest.

I have always been partial to having more power over less power, and I chose the S and would do so again. Personal choice for everyone, no one can tell you which is "best".

Old 06-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by tuco44
I have an armrest in my manual S and keep it tilted up to avoid shifting conflicts. Other ppl may or may not have a problem with the armrest.
So in your case having it in its position does get in the way for shifting?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:12 PM
tuco44
3rd Gear
So in your case having it in its position does get in the way for shifting?

Yes.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:13 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Is the armrest in the F56 higher than the previous gen? I've driven the 2013 and it's OK, but I do recall the F56 felt higher, if so it would bother me. Can anyone confirm?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:21 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Readers, please keep posting your opinions on S or not S? Automatic or Manual?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:44 PM
lostronin
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Loaded non-s manual.

Old 06-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lostronin
Loaded non-s manual.
I reckon that's what you chose, didn't you? Would you care to expand on why you went that way?

Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
I went with a Base Auto. I was going go with a S but after reading some post and test drove the base, I felt the base had enough power for everyday driving. Auto because I live in a city.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:03 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wtwien
Auto because I live in a city.
You nailed the main issue here. I also live in a large city and most of the driving is done commuting in traffic. Does this mean it would be stupid to get a manual? Not to mention an S?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:07 PM
chrisfowler99
3rd Gear
So you're saying the S is much more fun even while commuting in traffic?

I have to confess I also look forward going into the car if I know it's engine is powerful.... even if I don't get to use that power... I guess we're on the same page here
Before and after...commuting will be about the same either way.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:22 PM
zx9rider
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd go for the S with a stick. I'm on my 2nd Mini with a stick and wouldn't have it any other way. The stick allows you to really drive and enjoy the car. The green/mid/sport modes are fun to experiment with. The S has loads of power and is just plain fun to drive. As for the armrest, I don't find that it gets in the way of shifting at all. It does get in the way of the radio control between the seats if you get the stereo with that option, but I just put my arm over the side of the armrest and it's not problem at all. The armrest can be raised to a vertical position so that it is gone. When lowered it has 2 positions. One position is the normal, horizontal position. Position 2 allows you to lower the front of it about 2 inches. This leaves is slope down toward the front and I think it feels odd that way. I like revving and shifting. If you like fast fun, go with the S. I still think the non-S would still be a hoot to drive through, especially if you think its more fun to drive an underpowered car hard than to drive an overpowered car slow.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Thanks for you insight zx9rider! You make me want to go for a manual S with no major extras, since that costs the same as the fully equipped automatic base.

I drive in a lot of traffic, but also sometimes late at night when there's no traffic at all, and my city has only like 4 speed radars... so you know

Please keep posting your opinions!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:29 PM
wtwien
4th Gear
What have you test drove?

Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 PM
lostronin
2nd Gear
I reckon that's what you chose, didn't you? Would you care to expand on why you went that way?
In your initial post you mentioned you like driving a stick. I drive an R56 and even in Boston traffic, have no regrets going with a manual. Take a test-drive. The F56 has improved HP and torque over the R56, and I've been more than happy with my 2011 non-s Cooper.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:31 PM
Acrofilo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wtwien
What have you test drove?
I have test driven an F56 base automatic and a cooper S 2013 manual (they didn't have the 2014 up for demo, but all I needed to feel was the power and the transmission).

What do you think?

Quick Reply: F55/F56 About to buy a new F56, need some experts' advice!