F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Mini coding/programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:11 PM
April1
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad to see so much activity for MINI Coding. I was very active on BMW coding and now my wife bought MINI 2015 (July) so got interested in coding it and give surprises to my wife

Last edited by April1; 08-23-2015 at 03:23 PM.
Old 08-23-2015, 03:19 PM
April1
Neutral
After adding all easy codings, went on to enable wifi Hot Spot to run my video files on my iPhone on MININ screen through DLNA server on iPhone.

I could see WiFi mode got added as an option for connection but its check button is "non-selectable". This means MINI / BMW has withdrawn wifi support hardware for DLNA servers to play video/ audio on MINI screen. SAD SAD

Not sure if there is an option to add wifi hardware to HU-NBT.

Old 08-24-2015, 12:01 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Are there any codes to turn off the sensor on the speedo for the auto brightness of the Nav Screen / Light ring? Its annoying me to death.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:38 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
...Fresh installation would be my suggestion. Let us know how it goes!...
I finally got around to trying the new Windows 10 laptop with ESYS. It works! I only played with it for a few minutes to just acclimate myself, and was able to deactivate the belt warning lights and chimes. Now I can set the laptop on the passenger seat without it going berserk.

The arrangement of the folders looks different enough from the Beginners Guide and the Cheat Sheet that it took a little bit of browsing to figure it out.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:59 AM
DiGiPiMP
1st Gear
Has anyone found a parameter that would sync both temp controls for the ones that have auto climate control, it annoys the crap out of me, coming from acura and lexus, I always had a sync button, and this car is so small why even bother with dual temp?

Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by DiGiPiMP
...I always had a sync button, and this car is so small why even bother with dual temp?
The longitudinal exterior length is less than average, but every other dimension, both interior and exterior, are fairly typical. Other than it not being a Lexus, your complaint is that you "have to" turn both ***** to have the numbers match?

Last edited by Ryephile; 09-03-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 07:37 AM
DiGiPiMP
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Being a hatchback, the cabin volume is larger than most sedans. The "so small" comment must be based on some other irrelevant metric. Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story though.

Wow you're an a.s.s.hole!!! Even though I just bought my first mini, I have been reading this forum for more than a year to understand what am I getting into, if I buy a mini. I always enjoyed your philosophical explanations about mechanical aspects, such as the suspension upgrade choices. However, outright bashing of questions from people that are just trying to figure out why simple functions that exist on most cars are overlooked in mini, that must be your special expertise . If you can't answer it, please leave your PhD comments to yourself.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:35 AM
caiken
2nd Gear
Mini coding/programming

Has anyone found a parameter that would sync both temp controls for the ones that have auto climate control, it annoys the crap out of me, coming from acura and lexus, I always had a sync button, and this car is so small why even bother with dual temp?
This. So this.

Apparently most on the forum disagree, but I have to vote this one up. My VW and Hyundai have sync, and it is VERY annoying to have to adjust both ***** every time I want to change the temp.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Wow you're an a.s.s.hole!!! ..
Touche' and likewise. You're the one that came in here making condescending quips with biased expectations.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:59 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
......And just to get back on topic. Has anyone used an OBD 2/ USB to code their vehicles. My laptop doesn't have a Ethernet port. Will the coding software work with a USB?

Old 09-24-2015, 11:55 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by GregoryK
......And just to get back on topic. Has anyone used an OBD 2/ USB to code their vehicles. My laptop doesn't have a Ethernet port. Will the coding software work with a USB?
I don't have ethernet on my laptop either. I couldn't get it to work with the OBDII to USB cable I used for NCS Expert coding. When my ESYS cable came, I just got a USB to Ethernet adapter that worked.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:50 PM
LordWinslow
2nd Gear
I don't have ethernet on my laptop either. I couldn't get it to work with the OBDII to USB cable I used for NCS Expert coding. When my ESYS cable came, I just got a USB to Ethernet adapter that worked.
What OS where you running on your laptop? It could be a driver issue that is not allowing it to work properly.

Old 09-24-2015, 01:32 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Reading about all the cables it seems that they vary. Typically it is recommended that you use the cable for the F series BMW's. There is I believe a cable that can also work on the higher end BMW's but it has some sort of switch in it.
Thanks for the heads-up Siriuszero.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:19 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LordWinslow
What OS where you running on your laptop? It could be a driver issue that is not allowing it to work properly.
I used a virtual XP build with NCS Expert, but deleted that and decided to go native (Win 8.1 64-bit) when I learned ESYS runs on newer OSes.

I'm not sure if there's a way to get those DCAN cables to work with ESYS, but the cost of an ESYS cable is so low, I decided it wasn't worth the effort and just got the OBDII-to-Ethernet cable instead. I happened to have a USB-to-Ethernet adapter laying around too.

Old 09-25-2015, 02:53 PM
Mazarin
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, anyone in SoCal want to show me(and my F56) this whole thing of neatness? If bribery works, I'll get you a sixer.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:57 PM
MovieBoy
Neutral
Argh! The dealer updated my car and I need to reprogram. Can anyone help me out with links for the updated software?

On a side note, I can now access Podcasts from the iPhone and actually control them.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:32 PM
MovieBoy
Neutral
my dealer updated my mini. Can someone send me links to the newest versions?

Old 10-17-2015, 06:13 AM
randomquickness
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MovieBoy
my dealer updated my mini. Can someone send me links to the newest versions?
this...lost some of my coding but some of it stayed. weird.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:23 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Yup, my Windows 10 laptop doesn't have an ethernet port either, so I'm using a Cable Matters Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter. Works flawlessly. No matter what on F-platform BMW's you need the OBDII to Ethernet cable, whether you buy the one guys or you build your own.

Here's the PDF that has all the hot-links to the latest DL's The ESYS software itself hasn't changed in a few months, but there is frequently new PSdZData files.

-->random: it's possible the dealer only overwrote some of the computers and not all of them. That would explain it if certain modules coding edits remained.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:24 PM
COkid
1st Gear
Coding 2016 F56

I hope this is the right place for this query. Feel free to redirect me if it isn't.

I have a 2016 Justa 2-door that I'm trying to code. I successfully downloaded Esys Launcher Premium (with TokenMaster) and PSdZData Lite v.55.4.

I can connect to my car; read & activate an FA; read the ECU; and find the 'green-checked' CAFD parameters. But, when I expand any of the parameters and click Read Coding Data, I always get a File for "cafd_****" not found [c012] error message.

Are 2016 BMWs 'locked out' of coding changes?
Do I need to install PSdZData v.56.4?

All help/tips appreciated.

~Alan

UPDATE: Problem solved with help from BimmerFest forum. The fix was easy -- update to version 56.5 of PSdZData. I coded my 2016 F56!

Last edited by COkid; 10-24-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Update on resolution
Old 10-26-2015, 05:56 PM
MovieBoy
Neutral
Originally Posted by Ryephile
Yup, my Windows 10 laptop doesn't have an ethernet port either, so I'm using a Cable Matters Ethernet to USB 3.0 adapter. Works flawlessly. No matter what on F-platform BMW's you need the OBDII to Ethernet cable, whether you buy the one guys or you build your own.

Here's the PDF that has all the hot-links to the latest DL's The ESYS software itself hasn't changed in a few months, but there is frequently new PSdZData files.

-->random: it's possible the dealer only overwrote some of the computers and not all of them. That would explain it if certain modules coding edits remained.
Thanks! All fixed and recoded. Some settings did stay the same, but not all. I am just happy that podcast control finally works properly.

Also updated the maps while I was at it. Also pretty easy. Thanks again!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:59 AM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
COkid: Thanks for letting us know that the 2016's need 56.5 PSdZData.

MovieBoy: You're welcome. Keep that PDF handy and check it every so often, as they update the links when a new version comes out.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:26 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Finally got everything working with ESYS and got to coding last night!

Here's the list of stuff I've done, thanks to info around the forums, and some extra stuff I discovered by sniffing around...

For the record, my F55 is a Feb build with F056-11-14-502, used psdzdata 54.1 and had to track down missing CAFD files for the HB_NBT and BDC_BODY modules

-Turn off seatbelt reminder chimes (I kept the lights on, but there's a way to code those out as well.
- Disable welcome gongs/chimes
- Messed with Active Sound Design: Able to turn off (too quiet), tried to configure to use BMW M-series sounds instead, but couldn't get it working. Guessing it's because the ASD modules are different between MINIs and BMWs
- Close windows, sunroof, and mirrors from the keyfob
- Also set up to fold windows in/out while locking/unlocking
- Change triple turn signal to another number (I kept it on 3, but verified it worked)
- Allow windows to roll up while door is opened
- Tail lights on with DRL
- Fog lights can remain on with high beams
- Door handle welcome lights come on while reversing
- Turn off electronics when drivers door is opened after engine shut off
- Unlock all doors when engine is shut off (only works if Auto lock after driving is enabled)
- **Enabled Active Sound Design configuration menu: works, you get a menu of sounds to choose from in the Settings menu, but none are selectable and turning this on disabled my ASD sounds altogether.
- Use iPhone's ringtone when call comes in
- Change Navigation voice to British English - incidentally, this also changes all the language to the UK versions, and inputting addresses into the nav, some of the fields are blank (ie: City, State, Street)
- Removed iDrive disclaimer
- Display tire temperature in addition to the tire pressure (which now says tyre pressure, thanks to the UK change lol)
- Play video while in motion

Here's the new stuff I dug up:
- Change gong/chime and system sounds to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce (all three work and affect all the sounds in the car - mine is currently set to BMW for now...will probably change it back to MINI)
- Change the NBT theme to BMW, BMW i, or Rolls Royce: Basically changes the graphics to the interface used on those three platforms. (BMW i was only one I got working, BMW and RR froze on the MINI splash startup. On BMW i, some MINI specific graphics and menu were missing, also some verbiage is different ex: EfficientDynamics instead of GREEN mode.)
- There's coding to change the startup splash screen in the headunit to BMW, BMW i, Rolls Royce, blank, but I didn't test.
- Turn off speed correction: looks like it took, but haven't verified
- Found option to put the turn signals indicators in the HUD, but doesn't look like it works on MINIs

That's all I got so far! Makes my MINI 10x more enjoyable!
Quick question about your post. Can you still use the maps normally with the British accent enabled or does it make it difficult to enter destination?

Old 11-01-2015, 11:38 AM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Quick question about your post. Can you still use the maps normally with the British accent enabled or does it make it difficult to enter destination?
Technically I think you can but the input fields get a little messed up. I decided it was probably more trouble than it was worth (especially if my wife ever uses my car) and changed it back. Some of the voice commands I used changed too, like the "take me home" command which I use somewhat often.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:55 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Just I will just give it a try and see.
Sirius - Would you mind posting the source of some of the additional changes you made - bmw sounds etc...
Haven't started coding yet but will in the next couple of days...thx

Quick Reply: F55/F56 Mini coding/programming