F55/F56 :: Hatch Talk (2014+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (F55/F56) hatchback discussions.

F55/F56 Looking to return to the MINI fold, and have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 03:39 PM
siriuszero
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by thegrommit
Hmm, I've seen complaints that it gets in the way of the handbrake when in the angled position. I want the sport seats, but they are only available in a package with the arm rest.
While parking, it's not an issue for me - maybe if you're doing J-turns and stuff...

Originally Posted by thegrommit

FFS. I was prepared to order an S as it's possible to get the sport seats without the arm rest, but only if I kept the stock head unit.

Just to confirm, I can't stream audio over bluetooth from my phone, but would need to use the AUX input instead?
Correct! No standard Bluetooth audio. The MINI Connected/Visual Boost headunit is required! Otherwise, you're stuck with the AUX port which means no playback control from the car and no song info on screen.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:20 PM
dirtyscarab
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting to see so many differing opinions regarding the armrest getting in the way of the idrive. I personally think that the armrest doesn't impede the idrive and the car just look plain weird without it. Yeah, you have to put your hand in a 'claw' position to use it, but after a few weeks it just feels natural to operate it like that.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:45 PM
mct
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Well at first I did not like the armrest and thought it would get in the way but after a few days it was almost like it wasn't there. Now I don't mind it at all.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:00 PM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I bought my Click & Drive from ECS but it is available in Canada, just ask at the parts desk, your advisor probably has never seen one. It's cheaper from ECS. It uses a Garmin Ball, and I use a cradle from Arkon.

The other really good option is the Craven Speed flex mount.

The non-H/K radio, just go listen to it, it's not good. The H/K should have been the standard. It can be a little quiet when I'm listening to a poorly recorded podcast.

The heated seats are sort of in-between. If you really like heated seats, these will not be hot enough. They do seem to feel warmer when it's colder outside.

I didn't have a problem with my R50 windows. Did you have them replaced at some point? I haven't noticed a problem with the F56 windows.

The bluetooth audio may be standard for 2016?

Old 10-04-2015, 06:21 AM
darex
5th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyscarab
Interesting to see so many differing opinions regarding the armrest getting in the way of the idrive. I personally think that the armrest doesn't impede the idrive and the car just look plain weird without it. Yeah, you have to put your hand in a 'claw' position to use it, but after a few weeks it just feels natural to operate it like that.
While I agree, from a personal perspective, as I am quite used to it, it's still awkwardly placed, and didn't have to be. Have you ever sat in an F-series 3er? The iDrive falls exactly to hand, from the armrest. They could have done this for the F56/F55 too. They HAVE done this for the F54 Clubman. It's not an parking brake issue either. The 3-series has a manual parking brake, too.

They should have built-up the center higher, and could have had a shorter stick this way too.

I still highly recommend getting Connected XL and iDrive, but the designers blew it here, in my opinion.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:17 AM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by siriuszero
While parking, it's not an issue for me - maybe if you're doing J-turns and stuff...
I park on an incline, so regular use of the hand brake is essential. I'll have to see whether it's annoying when I go for the test drive.

Correct! No standard Bluetooth audio. The MINI Connected/Visual Boost headunit is required! Otherwise, you're stuck with the AUX port which means no playback control from the car and no song info on screen.
[rant on]
I know it's a first world problem, but would it have killed BMW to offer "enhanced" bluetooth as standard in a "premium" car?

FFS, the stock 2016 GTI head unit even supports CarPlay and Android Auto.
[rant off]

Old 10-04-2015, 09:54 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
The iPhone will stream over USB.

Old 10-09-2015, 06:19 PM
thegrommit
1st Gear
OK, went for a test drive today, and my enthusiasm has cooled a bit. I tried the manual versions of the Cooper S and Cooper 5-door (they didn't have a manual Cooper 3-door).

- that 3-cylinder spins up fast!
- the pop and burble from the 4-cylinder was hilarious and sounded great
- the steering is lightning quick compared to my GTI
- the suspension seems better sorted than my R50 was.
- not a fan of the run-flats, as they were a bit too firm for my tastes
- that arm rest is a real nuisance, and felt surprisingly cheap
- the storage package is just a flat board now as they've removed the mesh pocket. And they're asking CAD$250 for it
- it's a shame cloth upholstery isn't available as a default option as I was not a fan of the leatherette
- the screen on the moon roof is only mesh, not great for a hot day
- I feel sorry for bigger guys, as those sport seats are pretty snug

All of their cars had Mini Connected, so I couldn't try out the base head unit.

Overall, I think I'd be happy with a Cooper, but there's no way to get one with cloth seats unless I also get that annoying arm rest.

Old 10-10-2015, 12:56 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
The storage package includes the rear lighter socket, extra driver's side sunvisor. There's no mesh pocket in the passenger footwell?

Along with the flat board are some brackets and stuff so you can gain a few inches in the back by tilting the seats a bit and also make the cargo floor flat..video...

I have a sunroof delete! Armrest delete must be available.

This video shows the seats tilting.

At about 1:00 in this video you can see the flat load floor, in one frame there's about 3 inches of the seat above the floor, then the floor is flat with the back of the seats.

Last edited by hammerhands; 10-10-2015 at 02:06 AM.
Old 10-10-2015, 06:45 AM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
The storage package includes the rear lighter socket, extra driver's side sunvisor. There's no mesh pocket in the passenger footwell?

Along with the flat board are some brackets and stuff so you can gain a few inches in the back by tilting the seats a bit and also make the cargo floor flat..video...
Doh! The sales person didn't mention any of those items, and I didn't think to look for any mesh in the passenger footwell. Thanks for the videos.

I have a sunroof delete! Armrest delete must be available.
He made no mention of the ability to delete an item from the package. I think he wrote me off as I didn't demonstrate full enthusiasm after the test drive the way most prospective owners do (and the way I did after I drove the R50)

Old 10-11-2015, 12:14 AM
hammerhands
5th Gear
Did you try the armrest folded up? Some people still find it is in the way there.

The nice thing about the armrest is that you can, for a price, mount your phone in there.

Old 10-11-2015, 05:58 AM
thegrommit
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hammerhands
Did you try the armrest folded up? Some people still find it is in the way there.

The nice thing about the armrest is that you can, for a price, mount your phone in there.
Yeah, lifting it up got it out of the way.

Anyhow, I made the "mistake" of walking into a VW dealership yesterday and signed up for a new GTI. The cost is about the same as a Cooper S with comparable equipment (cloth, sunroof, LED lights), and also includes Android Auto support and a back-up camera. The S was a blast to drive, but that wasn't quite enough.

Thanks for answering my dumb questions