Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Power loss after reflash/reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:44 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm been watching this thread, and is the problem only isolated to the Factory JCW, or the JCW Engine Kit as well?

Post 14 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...90-post14.html) indicates that he's having the problem with his Mini with the JCW Engine Kit, but I thought I'd check just to make sure.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Stevo
Neutral
Originally Posted by zanary
I'm been watching this thread, and is the problem only isolated to the Factory JCW, or the JCW Engine Kit as well?

Post 14 (https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...90-post14.html) indicates that he's having the problem with his Mini with the JCW Engine Kit, but I thought I'd check just to make sure.
Hi ya thats me and yes I have a JCW Engine kit. Update is Thursday / Friday they are going to attempt to patch repair the software again apparently. This is being done remotely from MINI Australia HQ. First attempt car would not link to the HQ and hopefully it will occur.

As i see it the issue is purely a fault in the current software update data. Any reflash to it is dropping the JCW settings within the car and setting the car back to standard MCS settings.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:37 AM
Ottoman_FD3S
3rd Gear
same thing has happend to me..
after a software update

i basically hate my car..

it feels slow and boring and dead..

ive considered selling it many times since then

my dealer basically tells me tough ****.. sux to be u..

I wish i never went to them.. I would of rather voided my warranty..

*******s..

i'm seriously considering a after market ecu flash now.. or dumping the car..

Old 02-21-2010, 12:59 PM
Stevo
Neutral
Ottoman - mate i
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Get your frustration it sucks when you have to fight for them to respect what you are saying is truthful and stop treating you as an idiot. Luckily for me the service manager at the dealership I had the car serviced at when it all happened was a decent bloke and I think the evident from this site and the British one helped as well. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT='Times New Roman']Here in Aust - Mini have a service contact number for owners do you have that in the US. Mini worldwide would know of this issue and it’s a warranty issue so dealer makes money anyway. [/FONT]

Old 02-21-2010, 01:28 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Thank you all for the warning not to allow the dealer to reflash the ECU. If they do manage to screw it up at some point in the future, I'll go in for an aftermarket tune like I did on the R53.

Old 02-21-2010, 03:41 PM
jrs66
3rd Gear
Just got my 15k service... dealer said it's not 'nessesarily' a problem... nice... Said that it takes +2 hours to flash (??).. told him I'll live with my dunked up passenger window...

Old 02-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs66
Just got my 15k service... dealer said it's not 'nessesarily' a problem... nice... Said that it takes +2 hours to flash (??).. told him I'll live with my dunked up passenger window...
The software is not located at the dealer. It's installed from a network. It does take hours to flash since the BMW/MINI servers abroad are REALLY slow. It took me 3 1/2 hours the last time I coded mine for a retrofit.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
HamiltonSeth
2nd Gear
I have been having a similar problem. Where is the battery on the car? Can't seem to find it to disconnect, resetting the ecu.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Open the hood. It's on the passenger side below the windshield under the cowel accessible by a flap which snaps closed.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:44 PM
jrs66
3rd Gear
Dont think you can 'reset the ecu'... this is firmware, written permanently to the chip...

Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jrs66
Dont think you can 'reset the ecu'... this is firmware, written permanently to the chip...
True you can't reset the hard code written to the ECU. But you can reset the adaptations.
RA Instructions for removing and installing electronic control units.pdf

Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Originally Posted by zanary

Well, I got my R57 Convertible (which has the JCW Stage 1 Kit installed) after a bunch of work was done, all under warranty. They performed a Software Campaign on the FRM (Foot Well Module), however the text says

Found update for FRM module. Programmed. CAS and Other Control Modules Updated. All Function. Are Good.
So, once I leave the parking lot, I feel that it no longer has the WOW that it had before I took it to the dealer. I was thinking that since they "coded" all control modules, that they put back the original "S" code into the ECU. They told me in the past that every single time I go to the dealer, to bring in my JCW Stage 1 CD which the ECU code for my VIN. I guess becuase I didn't this time, the system reverted back my ECU to the "S" firmware...

I'm going to give him a call tomorrow and ask him if he can confirm if the ECU was indeed programmed with the "S" code, and if I can bring it in with my CD and have them re-install the JCW ECU code.

Old 02-27-2010, 04:51 PM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
So I just did HelenBlitz with a crew of Minis. My tuner was there so I asked if he could see what he could do with my car's mapping.

As stated in this thread I lost boost and power after my '09 JCW was reprogrammed for window roll-down problems...

He was able to pull down my map but ironically it was the first time he had seen this series of map versioning in all many cars hed seen. Because of this he will be unable to make any mapping changes until he gets a keycode from some Italians. He will be able to compare the map with other JCW and Coop S maps he has on file before then however.

Being that the day was busy I'll know in several days what the results or should I say problems are, and by next weekend I might be able to get something more appropriate. I'll update when i know.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:38 PM
Stevo
Neutral
It took a while for them to fix but the power is back. Not sure if its me not having had the beast for a while but it kind off feels faster especially mid range. See how it all pans out over the next month or two.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM
bigcat68
2nd Gear
This is an update from the OP. (the thread seems to have melded w/ other models even though its in the "factory JCW (2009+) category)

I got a call from MINIUSA today. They said they were taking me off of the PUMA case. Their reason was because I measure my boost/performance with a scangauge. They said they would only take numbers from a MINI boost gauge. SO while the PUMA case is still open and there is no resolution yet, Im SOL. Three weeks ago my dealer asked me to come in so they could measure the performance of my car. They told me over the phone they would do this by plugging the car into their diagnostic machine because they measure boos in BAR not lbs. When I brought the car in a tech took it for a drive. Apparently testing it that way. BY redlining the car up and down a side street. The result of his expert "butt dynomometer" is that there was no loss of performance.

So my options are this. 1.) buy a mini boost gauge and have them install it just to show them that they messed up my car. Cost to me, approximately $500. 2.) Wait for a resolution of the PUMA case and a new program to come out. Go in and pay $100 +/- to have my car reprogrammed.

I told them this was absurd. I told them I was going to post this. I told them that up until this point I had been very impressed with their handling of the situation, but that the outcome has left me both frustrated and disgusted.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING!!

Dyno results attached from pulls I just made yesterday.

Red lines: STOCK from 6 months back (Before mods or dealer reflash) SGII showed 20.5psi

Blue lines: MODIFIED (Forge FMIC, Craven filter, Turbo muffler charge pipe, Turbo noise maker delete, and finally a custom 2.5" Turbo back Catless exhaust pipe) - And oh yea... a shiesty DEALER REFLASH!! SGII showing 15.5 PSI on the Dyno

Just look at the numbers. Blue line still 10-25 HP below what it was when STOCK!!! With the supporting Mods I should be at least more than it was when stock.

I almost swear now that the dealer flashed my car with a Cooper S map. In a few days my tuner will be able to tell me more about that.

DO NOT GET YOUR CAR REFLASHED!!!! If you do you will be sorry!

Attached Thumbnails Power loss after reflash/reprogram?-r56-dealer-flash.jpg  

Last edited by unclemeat; 03-05-2010 at 04:15 AM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by unclemeat
Dyno results attached from pulls I just made yesterday.

Red lines: STOCK from 6 months back (Before mods or dealer reflash) SGII showed 20.5psi

Blue lines: MODIFIED (Forge FMIC, Craven filter, Turbo muffler charge pipe, Turbo noise maker delete, and finally a custom 2.5" Turbo back Catless exhaust pipe) - And oh yea... a shiesty DEALER REFLASH!! SGII showing 15.5 PSI on the Dyno

Just look at the numbers. Blue line still 10-25 HP below what it was when STOCK!!! With the supporting Mods I should be at least more than it was when stock.

I almost swear now that the dealer flashed my car with a Cooper S map. In a few days my tuner will be able to tell me more about that.

DO NOT GET YOUR CAR REFLASHED!!!! If you do you will be sorry!
Do you have an 2007 R56 MCS? I think 08s and later would already have some restriction to the boost to specifications. The boost is supposed to be about 0.8 bar which is about 15 psi.

It can be a little difficult to compare before and after with 6 months time in between. Also SG II does not show you the max boost, only the boost at an instance in time. But it is not continuous reading but polled. Even with the fast polling rate, there is still a lag between readings.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
I have a 2009 Factory JCW. The SGII may lie, but the dyno does not. Listen to what people are saying in this thread, and then take another look at the dyno sheet.

I feel shafted

Old 03-05-2010, 06:38 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Then you should have 1.2 bar boost but you are getting 0.8 bar.

It can also be the stuff you have put on or some leak somewhere. Not all mods play well together or add HP as claimed.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:38 AM
Stimpy
1st Gear
What software version does this power loss occur on?
I pushed the buttons on the tach and mine says
IP Prod date: 11/06/2008
SW: 86.51.00

I have not gone to the dealer to fix my window because of this thread. I don't think there is any power loss in my car. I'm just curious as of which version it started happening.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:29 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Then you should have 1.2 bar boost but you are getting 0.8 bar.

It can also be the stuff you have put on or some leak somewhere. Not all mods play well together or add HP as claimed.
This however is not the case. I noticed the a night and day difference the day before versus the day after dealer reflashed my car. Not only that, but before the reflash I was already running most of the mods with positive results (Search for Forge FMIC thread started by me to find dyno sheets).

Theres no excuse for the dealer's 'abuse' of their programming power.

I'll be back in just a few minutes with Tach / SW version.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:45 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
I just tried holding the Tach buttons and got something wierd/different than Stimpy but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Key in, engine off. I press both tach buttons for ten seconds and I get

VIN: TF97xxx
-and no software version.

If I continue to hold both tach buttons the guages do an around the house display and then everything goes back to normal display.

Can anyone else in this thread confirm these results after dealer re-flash??

Thanks

Old 03-05-2010, 09:07 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
I found it.

Prod: 07.05.09
SW: 8C.50.00

What the heck?? Is this the Cooper S map?? It sure as heck isnt the same as Stimpy's car with SW: 86.51.00

Old 03-05-2010, 09:13 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
I feel your pain.

Talk with the dealer about the software version, they can tell you.

PS: Did you get a dvd for the tune?

Old 03-05-2010, 09:27 AM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
DVDs arent supplied with 2009+ JCW Factory cars, only Cooper S when owners pay to get the JCW package dealer package.

I have a factory 2009 JCW

Quick Reply: Power loss after reflash/reprogram?