Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Power loss after reflash/reprogram?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:51 PM
miniminn
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know they reflashed mine too. Let me know if it gets fixed CinciJCW. I was going to bring it in, but didn't. I am so annoyed I started to look for tunes. I have to look which SW I have.

Has anyone had it fixed??? I imagine no one has, but there's got be something we can do. Mini just screwed us!!!!

Last edited by miniminn; 04-29-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added
Old 04-30-2010, 11:26 AM
CincyJCW
Neutral
Update on changes since new Software Update

On sport setting the throttle mapping (not to be equated with a change in real engine power) has DEFINITELY changed with the new software. I find it less aggressive than before, a good thing IMO. Steering effort seems to be slightly increased but barely noticeable (assuming it's not just in my head).

With the sport setting off the throttle doesn't seem as 'lazy' as before. It is more sensitive to slight movements but still a bit laggy IMO. Steering effort seems the same.

All in all the pop and burble is down although I get hints of it when I'm in at least sport mode and rev it high.

As far as real power I'm not so sure. Peak power seems about the same but it appears that maybe I'm not getting max power at each point in the RPM band at wide open throttle. Without a dyno this is going to be impossible to prove (at least for me). Mini could (in theory) keep the peak HP/torque numbers the same but drop off the amount of time the car spends in overboost mode and not run afoul of the law as long as they key the 'peak' numbers the same (or better) than advertised.

BTW, it appears that the new software update is not just limited to us here in the US. If you do a Google search it appears that there are some Germany models that have the same software update (at least according to version numbers). It also appears that the same software version is used for S as well as JCW models.

Old 05-02-2010, 02:11 PM
CincyJCW
Neutral
Last Update...

After driving the car hard for this past week I really can't find any difference in power other than the difference due to a (likely) change in throttle input mapping. There just doesn't seem to be a (real) difference in power.

Has anyone else noticed a difference?

Old 05-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Murph
2nd Gear
My wife has an 09 JCW Convertible and I have a 10 JCW Clubbie. As soon as I drove the Clubbie, I noticed that it seems to have a less aggressive throttle response, the exhaust is less "raucous" (pops and burbles less), and seems to have less torque steer than the wife's car (all in "Sport" mode). Both cars have the 8C.50.00 SW version. I've only had the Clubbie for a week, so I'm withholding judgement....as I recall the 09 JCW didn't have as much exhaust "music" when new either. I think it's interesting that the SW versions are the same....I wonder if the New mapping (if indeed it affects the engine management) isn't reflected in the SW release number.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:48 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Hm, interesting thread. I have an 09 JCW and I haven't had the ECU reflashed. I'll be keeping an eye on this. Hopefully things are resolved for those of you with the problems...

Old 05-16-2010, 01:34 PM
zanary
4th Gear
Has this been addressed by Mini, or has this just died becuase we have no re-course with Mini?

I even mentioned this on Mini's official facebook page hoping that a negative posting from a owner would get their attention, but so far nothing.

Guess it's not a problem they see, or they are chosing not to address the issue.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:13 PM
spinned
4th Gear
I contacted MINIUSA about the topic and instead of responding they referred me to talk to a local dealer.

"Thanks for writing MINI regarding the software installed on your vehicle. Since your inquiry is regarding a technical issue, we suggest contacting your authorized MINI dealer. Your service team has the expertise to provide you with detailed technical support to fully address your inquiry…

LET'S MOTOR.
Ashley Paras MINI
Customer Relations and Services Representative"

Old 05-18-2010, 01:52 PM
scottmd
3rd Gear
Interesting thread...I'm going to be hesitant about any ECU reflashes.

Is this something that they would always tell you about before they did it...or something that might happen when you're just in for service?

Old 05-18-2010, 08:09 PM
spinned
4th Gear
They will just do it if you have any warranty work that is fixed using the software. That includes incidental items like the window dipper issue.

Last edited by spinned; 05-19-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:34 AM
minimini482
4th Gear
Forgive me if I missed this in one of four pages on this topic, but has a specific SW Version been identified as causing the issues reported here?

Just curious what version to look out for that has these 'bugs' within it?

Old 05-21-2010, 05:55 PM
unclemeat
3rd Gear
Mine is fixed. I had to go aftermarket though. Back up to 19PSI. Will report back with Dyno chart by about next weekend.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:39 PM
miniminn
2nd Gear
Totally new tune, or back to "old stock"?

Old 06-18-2010, 08:48 PM
jezter
1st Gear
update...
the rattle came back, so i took it back to the dealer. they reprogrammed (sw is now 8c.50.00, was 86.51.00) and replaced a bunch of parts (set of profile gasket, chan tensioners, sprocket, bearing bolt, guide rail, gasket ring, bearing bolt, timing chain, slide rail, torx bolts, hex bolt).
i let the car sit for 4 hours, started her up, and i still have the cold start rattle. the pop is gone, but somehow i can still hear a little burble...

Old 06-18-2010, 10:12 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man, I feel for you guys. I hope mini gets this resolved for you quickly. I understand stuff happens but it really seems mini is dragging their feet with this issue.

Good luck,.

Mark

Old 06-20-2010, 10:43 AM
jezter
1st Gear
i tried dropping my car off back to the dealer, but wasn't able to since they ran out of loaners. my sa seems to be very concerned that the noise isn't going away.

i decided to drive around and test some things out. all kinds of steering in sport/non sport feels the same. although the way the car acts to my throttle inputs is definitely different. it doesn't feel as quirky as before.

-in either sport/no sport mode: before the reflash, if you drove off and quickly came to a stop (from around 3k rpm or above, you clutch + put in neutral and brake right away), the rpms would drop quickly down to .75k rpm then go back up to around 1.5k and slowly back down. with the reflashed software, the rpms just drop at a slower rate than before without going up n down at the end.
driving as quickly as i could from a stop (without going over the speed limit, maybe ), i do not notice much difference.
when you are on gear and try to floor it, it has some lag before taking off. before reflash, there was very little lag if any.

-not in sport mode: when shifting between gears (at approx. 3k rpm), i'm feeling about 2 seconds of lag as compared to before when accelerating as soon as i get into gear. before the reflash, i would always have to worry about being gentle with the gas because the car always wants to "go-go-gooo".

-i can still make a pop in sport mode with when quickly accelerating and shifting at rpm around 3k (from 2nd to 3rd). it used to pop loudly in the 3.5-4k rpm range (on all gears).

Old 06-21-2010, 06:07 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I hope MINI gets this resolved as well. I'm starting to get paranoid about taking mine in for any servicing on the off-chance they might re-flash the software (mine's still the original 86.51.00)...

Based on what I've been able to discern from the opinions (mainly using "butt dynometers" and Mk I eardrums, so to speak) on these and related posts, there does appear to be a direct correlation between a JCW vehicle that's programmed with SW 8C.50.00 (as opposed to 86.51.00) and reported losses of power/exhaust burble... Is it really that difficult for MINI to connect the dots and figure this out...?

Old 06-21-2010, 08:52 AM
miniminn
2nd Gear
Bringing in it in today, likely useless, but going to try anyway. I want 86.51.00!!!

Old 06-22-2010, 10:25 PM
jezter
1st Gear
dropped off my 09 jcw at the dealer today...and my sa said..."we'll see what we can do" (about the cold start rattle)
those words don't sound too encouraging...
i forgot to bring up the engine software, so i'll probably call tomorrow morning. i just have a bad feeling that they won't do anything about it.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:56 PM
jezter
1st Gear
another update...sa said "the tapping noise that you are hearing on a cold start is normal"...uhhh...sssssuuuuurrrrreeeeee...if the tapping noise was normal for these cars, i would have heard it from the very first day of buying the car brand new.

oh yah, one more thing. when i mentioned that the software is now different from what it was originally, sa said "everything was updated on the reprogram"...

mini service is really grinding my gears lately...

i'm not praying that my car breaks down completely...but if that day ever comes, they will definitely hear from me.

Old 10-29-2011, 08:21 PM
melsjcw
Neutral
i have an 09 JCW, i see that this thread hasn't been updated in a year, well i took mine in for the 2nd time for an issue rough idle and engine dying (16,000 miles) and first it was "carbon build up" 3 days later cars a POS again, engine light, they now say "bad fuel pump" replaced that....no engine light BUT the car is a slow dead pig....from idle to 4k its down on power what feels like 20%, and literally at 4100rpm the car FALLS ON ITS FACE 4 grand to redline there is just nothing there, its slightly faster than just a mini and not even close to a MCS, the loaner they gave me a MCS automatic, would smoke this JCW, my 09 Xterra would smoke this JCW....I don't even want this POS any longer its ridiculous, i love that car, its been amazing to drive...and i haven't contacted them yet on this, but reading here its sounding grimm, but I'm pissed and needed to vent and see if anyone has had this resolved yet...Its insane to feel the power just completely fall off and have nothing from 4-6500, its now a Corolla and I'm not even joking....bland, quiet and boring....without going aftermarket which i will if i have to, has anyone got there bad ref lash fixed by Mini yet?

Old 11-01-2011, 01:34 PM
melsjcw
Neutral
Im a very sad girl today:( My precious 09 JCW has been literally rapped of her power and characteristic pops. Check engine light came on took it in to the mini service department, HP fuel pump was replaced and now my car runs like a damn cup cake! The dealer is acting like I'm crazy and have no idea what Im talking about because I'm a girl and lack a *****. Any advice?

Old 11-02-2011, 10:04 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melsjcw
i have an 09 JCW, i see that this thread hasn't been updated in a year, well i took mine in for the 2nd time for an issue rough idle and engine dying (16,000 miles) and first it was "carbon build up" 3 days later cars a POS again, engine light, they now say "bad fuel pump" replaced that....no engine light BUT the car is a slow dead pig....from idle to 4k its down on power what feels like 20%, and literally at 4100rpm the car FALLS ON ITS FACE 4 grand to redline there is just nothing there, its slightly faster than just a mini and not even close to a MCS, the loaner they gave me a MCS automatic, would smoke this JCW, my 09 Xterra would smoke this JCW....I don't even want this POS any longer its ridiculous, i love that car, its been amazing to drive...and i haven't contacted them yet on this, but reading here its sounding grimm, but I'm pissed and needed to vent and see if anyone has had this resolved yet...Its insane to feel the power just completely fall off and have nothing from 4-6500, its now a Corolla and I'm not even joking....bland, quiet and boring....without going aftermarket which i will if i have to, has anyone got there bad ref lash fixed by Mini yet?
... My precious 09 JCW has been literally rapped of her power and characteristic pops. Check engine light came on took it in to the mini service department, HP fuel pump was replaced and now my car runs like a damn cup cake...!
In reading your description of the problem, my first reaction was that it sounds like the turbo isn't properly engaging/spooling... Not entirely sure how it could have been affected by the work that was performed; maybe when they had things apart to clean the carbon build-up...?

I suppose it's possible they re-programmed the car with the HPFP replacement, but in recalling this particular thread, I don't remember anyone complaining about such a severe power loss with reprogramming...? If they did reprogram the car, is it possible that they loaded an incorrect software load...? The service paperwork you should have received when you got the car back should detail whatever was done.

... I'm a girl and lack a *****. Any advice?
Soooo many ways to get myself into trouble there... Perhaps I'll just leave it to our respective imaginations...?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:12 AM
Formel1
2nd Gear
So what's the latest on this and the 8C.51.00 software? Mine has the 8C.50.00 - has Mini fessed up to detuning our JCW's? Can we get the dealer to revert to the 8C.51.00 system?

Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 AM
melsjcw
Neutral
mini claims that they definetly dont detune, since my last post i have been back AGAIN for yet another check engine light....so back to the dealer again, really nothing new to report, but i swear all of this started after the Carbon Clean job, so FYI, I asked the dealer, and if you get the Carbon buildup 4+ hour work done, the end of that is a reprogram....essentially your screwed if you do, screwed if you dont

Old 11-09-2011, 04:39 AM
Formel1
2nd Gear
Wonder if their claims for 208 and 210lbs at overboost were a bit premature and now they realize it can cost them some issues with service/warranty, so they bypass it by tweeking the MAP. Of course, with only a few hundred JCW's a year, they aren't going to bother doing a whole lot for us either to correct the problem. I'll call my service guy today and mention the PUMA and see what he says.

Quick Reply: Power loss after reflash/reprogram?