Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Brake Pads - JCW

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 11:37 AM
21JCW
2nd Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Brake Pads - JCW

Hey guys, I am looking for a set of front pads for my 2011 JCW to help minimize the dust. I did a search and was unable to find a clear answer.

What type of pads are you folks using on your JCW of street. I used the Hawk Pads on previous car. It does not appear that Hawk makes pads for the JCW.

Thanks ahead of time ...

Old 06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
MP1.6T
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Net, one answer...

Carbotech Bobcats. Little if anything else that is low dust and good street performance was out there as of just two months ago when I searched. Having installed them on a retrofit set of JCW brakes on a gen 2 S, dust is down probably 90% up front. Nice progressive feel just as other posters have said previously. The stock OEM rears now generate meaningfully more dust than the front. Also, preemptively if you look, I found EBC red's (another decent street low dust pad) are not available here in the U.S. or in England, even though there is a catalog part number for them. Not sure about Hawks but two other threads are pretty negative right now, and WMW has posted similarly they aren't recommending them.

Search my prior posts on the Carbotech backplate issue though. Unless they have fixed their backing plate size design error (and I will be blunt and call it exactly that--they claim ignorance even though two of us on the board have i.d'ed it specifically), you will want to pry off your backing shims carefully from your stock pads (they are glued on) and reuse them. The shims wrap around the sides of the pads, and without them the pads can shift several mm back and forth inside the caliper. With the shims, the fit is just like OEM. Shims are not available as a separate part, so you need to salvage them during the pad change.

Finally, if you want to use the OEM wear sensors (which you can), you have to be sure to specify that with Carbotechs--they machine out the mounting hole for them, though relatively meaninglessly for 3 of the 4 pads where they are not mounted.