Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Meet (insert name here), another PW/B JCW

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Meet (insert name here), another PW/B JCW

Since everyone else is doing it, I figured I might as well too.

I've had this thing for one year and 8 days. Buying my JCW was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

I've messed around with it here and there, but this is what I've got so far.

Current mod list: (updated 11/12/11)
- JCW aero kit
- Debadged JCW emblems off of front bumper and rear hatch
- ST Coilovers
- Forge FMIC
- ALTA 22mm rear sway bar
- ALTA hotside boost tube
- BSH oil catch can
- BSH dual boost tap/block off plug
- Tinted tail lights, rear fog lights, sidemarkers & windows
- Rear wiper delete
- Rear seat delete
- All light surrounds and grill surrounds painted body color
- Cooper gas cap
- Shortie antenna
- ALTA intake (DOS eventually)
- Open hood scoop
- M7 J-Brace (front strut brace)
- M7 JCW carbon fiber front splitter
- Gloss black painted valances and wheel arches
- Chrome/Amber front turn signal bulbs
- Joey mod with angel eyes
- Base Cooper spoiler
- Enkei Performance Imola 17x7.5 w/ Pirreli SottoZero II tires (winter wheels)

I sold my challenge spokes last week (sort of second guessing that one), and I have a set of 18" OZ Ultraleggera's coming soon. In the next few weeks I'm going to do some little things, like the joey mod, M7 heatshield, get some clear turn signal bulbs, and blackout the beltline. I'm thinking about either a Cooper spoiler or the spoiler from the aero kit, but I can't decide. Next year I might get a little more serious with this car, but I'm also looking into a classic mini and vtec swapping it, so we'll see what happens.

Last good pic:

Summer stance:

Engine bay:

Wintermode setup:

Last edited by drewstermalloy; 11-12-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:55 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
drewstermalloy
I have always thought that you have moded your car tastefully. I love your summer stance pictures. The black/pepper white has always been one of my favorite combinations.
Steve

Old 10-25-2011, 07:17 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Thanks!

The only thing I hate about winter is not being able to mod the car! It's already supposed to snow this week!

Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cannot wait to see the ultraleggeras on here. I was considering them.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
oh and BTdubs, do a joey mod now.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:43 PM
David9962000
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Very nice. Do you have pics of the wiper delete & seats delete?

Old 10-26-2011, 05:05 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
drewstermalloy
I know that we are 2-3 hours apart but I have a nice garage that can be heated up. If you ever need a hand let me know.
I am hoping that we do not get the possible snow. As soon as they salt the roads mine comes off for the winter
Steve

Originally Posted by drewstermalloy
Thanks!

The only thing I hate about winter is not being able to mod the car! It's already supposed to snow this week!

Old 10-26-2011, 07:14 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692
oh and BTdubs, do a joey mod now.
Yeahhh I know haha. I just ordered the clear turn signal bulbs last night. I really want to do the joey mod, I just don't like that it's irreversible. The wheels should be here Friday!

Originally Posted by THE ITCH
drewstermalloy
I know that we are 2-3 hours apart but I have a nice garage that can be heated up. If you ever need a hand let me know.
I am hoping that we do not get the possible snow. As soon as they salt the roads mine comes off for the winter
Steve
Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that, I'm thinking about doing a short shifter in a month or so.

Originally Posted by David9962000
Very nice. Do you have pics of the wiper delete & seats delete?
Yep, some crappy ones! I made the rear seat delete myself for about $20.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Axion
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love your PW/B scheme!

How many coats of VHT do you have on the tails? I tried to do mine recently but they just seemed off?

Also, did you do the color match of the headlight rims or did you bring them to a shop?

Old 10-26-2011, 12:10 PM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
drewstermalloy
I have done the Helix on mine and I can recommend it highly. Their are others out there that are adjustable (and more $) but IMHO it is an unnessary option. They all do the same thing by extending the lower arm. When all is said and done every one of them use the same stock configuration of the ball and socket. Other than that the only Mfg that added something to the mix was B&M by supplying steel bushings to replace the rubber in the four corners of the shifter box. There were several complaints on added NVH with the bushings and not a huge improvement. Just my $.02. Let me know if you would like to come up.
Steve

[QUOTE=drewstermalloy;3385712]
Thanks for the offer! I might take you up on that, I'm thinking about doing a short shifter in a month or so.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:11 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Axion
I love your PW/B scheme!

How many coats of VHT do you have on the tails? I tried to do mine recently but they just seemed off?

Also, did you do the color match of the headlight rims or did you bring them to a shop?
No VHT, it's real tint. I used VHT on my previous MINI (base Cooper) and it.. well... sucked.

I brought the rings to a body shop to get painted, as well as the cooper gas door and the grille surrounds.

Here's a better pic of the tinted tails/rear fogs:

Old 10-26-2011, 04:34 PM
OKCdancer
3rd Gear
Lookin' Good!

Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
To anyone checking out this thread...

Please go to this thread and tell me what you think, I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible!!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3386562

Old 10-28-2011, 05:44 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
drewstermalloy
I really like the looks of your car in the summer photo's, it's outstanding. The winter photo, not so much. I see that you are changing your wheels and I hope that your car will look as good as it does now with the BBS's. With that being said I would reserve a vote until I see the new wheels and color.
Good luck, Steve

To anyone checking out this thread...

Please go to this thread and tell me what you think, I'm trying to get as many opinions as possible!!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3386562

Old 10-29-2011, 05:16 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
I decided against the OZ's, so now I have to figure out something else. I'm looking at Rota MC's (I really like the wheels, but are they knock off's of BBS LM's?? If so I don't want them, and I don't know how I feel about the fake 2 piece look. Also I hate when websites don't list the wheel weight), OZ Allegerita's (gloss black), Enkei RP03's (silver), or Enkei RPF1 type 2's (gunmetal?).

I'm having an identity crisis I think. It's pretty obvious that I'm not sure which look I'm going for at this point. At least wheels aren't permanent and easier to sell if I don't like them, unlike a joey mod.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:39 AM
THE ITCH
5th Gear
drewstermalloy
It wasn't too long ago that I saw a used set of BBS LM's for sale in upstate NY (I am not sure if it was Rochester or Buffalo). I gave it some thought for a moment but I decided to keep my SSR Comp's. I had just purchased these, polished the lips, and installed new tires. I am not sure if they are still available but you may try to do a search. I think that the LM's would look great on your car! I guess I am in the mode that black has been overdone and I just love how the silver looks on your car. When all is said and done you are the one who must be happy with your look. If you are on your snowtires currently you have all winter to search around. There are some good websites to keep an eye on for used wheels where you may find something very exclusive. If you need help with that send me a PM.
Steve

I decided against the OZ's, so now I have to figure out something else. I'm looking at Rota MC's (I really like the wheels, but are they knock off's of BBS LM's?? If so I don't want them, and I don't know how I feel about the fake 2 piece look. Also I hate when websites don't list the wheel weight), OZ Allegerita's (gloss black), Enkei RP03's (silver), or Enkei RPF1 type 2's (gunmetal?).

I'm having an identity crisis I think. It's pretty obvious that I'm not sure which look I'm going for at this point. At least wheels aren't permanent and easier to sell if I don't like them, unlike a joey mod.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:07 AM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
I have no doubt that LM's would be my FIRST choice, but $700/wheel is a little out of my price range. And I can't have anything that's a "rep" aka knock off. I'm looking for something around $350/wheel TOPS.

It's just going to take me a while I think to decide whether I want wheels that look really good (silver/chrome-ish), or wheels that are super light. That's why I think I'm leaning towards the bright silver RP03's. They're a little of both. Pretty light at 16.xx lbs, and still shiny and nice looking. Plus they're priced well within my budget.

I've had bad luck with used wheels twice now so I think I'm going to stick with ordering brand new.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Enkei Racing RP03's. First choice on the list at this point. What do you guys think??

Old 10-29-2011, 07:22 PM
rans09vert
3rd Gear
Not liking it, challenge spokes look great!

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
I sold my challenge spokes last week

I've also been looking at RPF1's, I didn't realize they're only 14.6 lbs per wheel. I think they'd look good in silver too. There are way too many choices out there, it's giving me a headache!

Last edited by drewstermalloy; 10-29-2011 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
Wheel choice update. The things that are most important to me are weight, looks, & price respectively. I know my favorite at this point, what do you think?

Silver Enkei RP-F1's. 14.6 lbs. $216 each

Black Enkei RP-F1's. 14.6 lbs. $239 each

Black OZ Allegerita's. 14.2 lbs. $329 each

Silver Enkei RP03's. 16.8 lbs. $209 each.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
no to the RPF1's. I loved them on the r53, but look odd to me on the 56's. I think it's because they look small even if they're not (if that makes sense). Definitely like the last 2 but also think you should consider the rota's again. They look great and are actually 2 piece i believe, not fake.

Secondly, have you seen the nm-eng rims? I think they're classy on PW.

Finally, we need to figure out how to get this to work:
http://www.heiler-tachodesign.de/Tac...-R56-Clubman-S
I think it's the ****.

Old 10-30-2011, 03:54 PM
drewstermalloy
6th Gear
I think the RPF1's look great on an R56 when lowered, but not at stock height. As much as I like black wheels, I really don't think they look that good on this car. The silver looked so clean and pretty and now the black wheels almost look like steelies when the car is moving. Honestly I think the silver RPF1's are what I'm going to end up with.

fastmini.net's description:

This handsome wheel has an elegant multi-piece look, like those high-dollar european wheels. But it's really a one-piece wheel, and is priced within reach of us mere mortals. Big 18 x 8" size fits up to a 235 width tire. +45 offset. Includes hubcentric rings and "R" logo center caps. Works with TPMS sensors.
And I can't tell you how much I hate when vendors don't list wheel weights (which is my #1 concern). My requirement is less than 1 lb/1 inch, the lighter the better. I'm pretty sure the 18" Rota's are heavier than the 23 lb challenge spokes. Don't get me wrong, they're a good looking wheel that would look good at car shows, but I wouldn't want them on my car everyday.

The nm-eng wheels are pretty nice, but again, heavy. They say they are "light weight" but yet they are still 18.5 lbs for a 17" wheel.

And I have wanted different color gauges ever since I had my first MINI. The problem with black is that you won't see the numbers unless you have the dash lit/headlights on all the time. I really want pepper white gauges with blue LEDs for numbers.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:01 PM
Grimnebulin
3rd Gear
I like the black OZ wheels - not an Enkei RP-F1 fan.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:59 PM
wkp1219
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm partial to the OZ's as you can see, plus they're extremely light!

Quick Reply: Meet (insert name here), another PW/B JCW