Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Took my 2009 JCW in for the recall & guess what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timfitz63,
There is just a "normal" length tensioner and a "longer" tensioner, the longer one being about 5mm longer than a "normal" length one. I measured both of mine, I haven't seen any drawings or anything. If, using special tool 11 9 340, the measured length is less than 68mm and there is rattling, they are supposed to use the longer tensioner, if it is over 68mm they are supposed to replace the chain, tensioner (with a "normal" length one), guides, crank pulley and about 6 bolts, per SI M11 02 07. What that means is that if the chain hasn't stretched TOO MUCH, then they are OK with just changing the tensioner. Apparently the problem is the chain itself (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!). I don't think the guide part numbers have changed, they have changed the "normal" tensioner part number and they have changed the chain part number. If the problem is that the chain is stretching excessively, then changing the tensioner is just going to delay needing to replace it. I assume that the new chain is stronger and wont stretch as fast (they will all stretch some, eventually). I got this quoted from the dealer and it is about $2400, I don't know about you, but I don't want to pay that when the design was bad to begin with! I did get a quote from a local European car repair place and they quoted $1400, although I don't know that they have done one before :( For what it's worth, I like penskeparts.com better, their prices generally match the dealer prices and you can order from them (I have NOT ordered from them!).

Nykwan,
Your car may be new enough that it already has the new parts. I think they changed to the new water pumps late last year.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by howieschoon
... There is just a "normal" length tensioner and a "longer" tensioner, the longer one being about 5mm longer than a "normal" length one. I measured both of mine, I haven't seen any drawings or anything. If, using special tool 11 9 340, the measured length is less than 68mm and there is rattling, they are supposed to use the longer tensioner, if it is over 68mm they are supposed to replace the chain, tensioner (with a "normal" length one), guides, crank pulley and about 6 bolts, per SI M11 02 07. What that means is that if the chain hasn't stretched TOO MUCH, then they are OK with just changing the tensioner. Apparently the problem is the chain itself (someone correct me if I'm wrong!!). I don't think the guide part numbers have changed, they have changed the "normal" tensioner part number and they have changed the chain part number. If the problem is that the chain is stretching excessively, then changing the tensioner is just going to delay needing to replace it. I assume that the new chain is stronger and wont stretch as fast (they will all stretch some, eventually). I got this quoted from the dealer and it is about $2400, I don't know about you, but I don't want to pay that when the design was bad to begin with! I did get a quote from a local European car repair place and they quoted $1400, although I don't know that they have done one before :( For what it's worth, I like penskeparts.com better, their prices generally match the dealer prices and you can order from them (I have NOT ordered from them!)...
OK. Thanks for the clarification!

Apparently my chain hadn't stretched much, if at all; I'll have to double-check the measurement report on my paperwork, though. So all I got was a longer tensioner, per the criteria you described. Mine actually hadn't been rattling for long when I took it in for the warranty work on the auxiliary water pump, and it's had a relatively easy life (it's not my daily driver, so I end up putting minimal mileage on it).

Yeah, like you, I don't want to pay for anything that I don't have to -- or shouldn't have to...!

Old 05-09-2012, 07:16 PM
JCWClubman
1st Gear
I just had mine in for the recall and had them investigate the cold start issue. They did not notice it at first (I left the car with them overnight) but did hear it later. So they did perform the replacement of the tensioner and timing chain as it was at the max allowable of 68mm. I am right at 32k miles and it's been apparent now for at least 6k.

Old 05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JCWClubman
... So they did perform the replacement of the tensioner and timing chain as it was at the max allowable of 68mm...
68mm is the maximum on the timing chain...? What's the normal/nominal length on it...?

I went back and re-checked the paperwork from the recent tensioner replacement on mine, and they stated my chain measured 68mm as well. But they did not replace mine...? What gives...?

My earlier ownership experience was good with MINI of Pittsburgh, but lately it's like they (and P & W Motors, their sister BMW dealership) are doing the minimum necessary to get owners past the end of their warranty period. Of course, they haven't missed any opportunities to offer an extended warranty to me... Now I'm becoming a more and more upset with them...

Old 05-11-2012, 04:47 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
This is the parts they replaced on my timing chain

They also did the water pump recall and changed my brake fluid as well as the cabin filter and reprogrammed my computer to the latest version.
They checked anything with a service bulletin but I did not need anything else.

Last edited by ronnie948; 05-11-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: add information
Old 05-12-2012, 04:33 AM
JCWClubman
1st Gear
Originally Posted by timfitz63
68mm is the maximum on the timing chain...? What's the normal/nominal length on it...?

I went back and re-checked the paperwork from the recent tensioner replacement on mine, and they stated my chain measured 68mm as well. But they did not replace mine...? What gives...?
it may be that(as I'm sure you suspect) that 68mm is the MAX allowable and they chose not to replace yours because it did not exceed the limit. In my case, I "complained" about the condition and when I brought the car in for the recall, I made sure it was available for them to hear it start "cold"...fortunately they did experience the effect, otherwise I may have been out of luck.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:25 PM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
If it's at 68mm keep complaining until they change it. Maybe they are busy with the water pump recall but they should replace it at 68mm or more. If it isn't bothering you and you have a reasonable amount of warranty left then let it go for a few months then take it back and complain again, maybe it will be OVER 68mm and they wont have any excuse to not change it. Either way, make sure it is changed under warranty.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
sikamini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Is the chain tensioner assembly the same as on an "S"?

Old 05-16-2012, 08:42 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by howieschoon
If it's at 68mm keep complaining until they change it. Maybe they are busy with the water pump recall but they should replace it at 68mm or more. If it isn't bothering you and you have a reasonable amount of warranty left then let it go for a few months then take it back and complain again, maybe it will be OVER 68mm and they wont have any excuse to not change it. Either way, make sure it is changed under warranty.
Warranty runs out in the first week of August. Guess I'll do what I can between now and then to 'encourage' them to do the full timing chain service....

Originally Posted by sikamini
Is the chain tensioner assembly the same as on an "S"?
I believe so...

Old 05-18-2012, 12:57 PM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
I just changed my chain and guides and the like and I measured my deflection at about 60.5mm. With the old chain and guides it was about 70.5. The new chain appears to be shorter than the old chain. The best I could measure the chain itself was the new one being about 1/4" shorter (total length) than the old one. So I assume it has one less link or something.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eplaement.html

Old 08-03-2012, 10:04 AM
CosmicBlue15
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
found it ... the new aux pump

Last edited by CosmicBlue15; 08-03-2012 at 10:22 AM. Reason: question answered