Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Took my 2009 JCW in for the recall & guess what?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Took my 2009 JCW in for the recall & guess what?

My dealer not only done the rcall but checked my Timing chain and replaced all of the componants such as the tensioner,chain, rails,and everything else related.

They drained and replaced the brake fluid system, Replaced the cabin filter, and updated my computer to the latest program. They seemed to check every single part of my car.

*****And they did it all in one day so I just waited on it. I took the shuttle service over to the Mall and seen a couple of movies and ate while they worked on my car. When I got back to the dealer I test drove an "S" with the automatic transmission. Padel shifters are great. It was a nice enjoyable day in Orlando away from my house in Daytona. If I was home I never would go to the movies.

Orlando Mini has to be one of the best car dealers in the country just for the service and way they treat their customers and It is only A one hour drive from my house.

Last edited by ronnie948; 03-15-2012 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
wandrur
Awesome!

Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Drobinson1692
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm glad to hear that! I'm due for the recall tomorrow at noon. Did you ask about the tensioner or did they do it on their own?

Secondly, do they need to remove the bumper in order to do the aux recall?

Old 03-15-2012, 10:05 PM
InVisib0L
4th Gear
Wow, that's amazing. I wonder if any of the SF Bay Area service centers are any good.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Drobinson1692

Secondly, do they need to remove the bumper in order to do the aux recall?
No, it is the little black part you see when you do an oil change, it is next to the oil filter housing. Remove the 10mm holding the coolant tank and push it out of the way and it is down there.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:20 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What recall?

Old 03-16-2012, 10:46 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
No I did not ask about the timing chain stuff

I did not ask because I did not even know I had a problem. The Guy that signed me in informed me that they received a bulletin about the tensioner and asked me if I wanted them to check to see if it needed replacing. It had to much slack in the chain so he asked me if I wanted it replaced. He said it would take most of the day. I told him I would wait for it to be done so I got the shuttle to take me to the Mall. I did ask them to check anything they could while I was there so they did and replaced the cabin filter, Drained and replaced the brake fluid and checked everything else. They replaced the original program on my computer to the very latest.

I really like this dealer (ORLANDO MINI) and wish all car dealers were this good to their customers. I had a Corvette before and I'm hoping I never ever see the inside of a Chevy dealer again in my lifetime.

I did get to drive a new "S" with the automatic transmission. I may eventually have to trade my JCW in for one due to my hip and leg getting A lot worse from long time ago injuries. It's really sad because I really love my 2009 factory JCW and it has been the most reliable trouble free car I have ever owned. It still thrills me to drive it until I get stuck in stop & go traffic. Then my hip and leg hurts so bad I can hardly stand it and have to stop and walk around.

I kind of liked the "S" and will probably put the JCW stage one engine kit on it as well as the extremely great sounding JCW exhaust.

Orlando Mini does sell OZ wheels now so I would have to go for a set of them installed.

I go back to the VA surgeon's in September and see if they can do anything for me this year. I see them every two years and so far no new treatments but this may be the year they found a new technique to help me.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Keysersozeh
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
That sounds like you found a great dealership.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:00 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Same here - if your car needs it - their system will pop up to do it. Just took the MINI in for the aux H20 pump recall a couple weeks ago. They also did the timing chain tensioner seal "service action" .

Very happy with NW MINI Tacoma service - they also did the 2 year service 900 miles ahead of time, brake fluid change, air filter, micro filter, oil change etc. Replaced a non op chrome boot latch even though it was added after purchase. Had a 2011 S loaner for the day to boot...... They couldn't wait to pull the car into service at 8:15 AM..... Service advisor had the paperwork in hand as we walked in the door to pick up at 5:00 PM.... Oh and sat in a sweet Roadster while I waited for our MINI to be pulled around.

Total cost. Zero dollars. *PRICELESS*.

Receipt reads:

PERFORM 11 02 12
CAMPAIGNS 50WP94M
1 11-31-4-609-483 CHAIN TENSIONER: 113050
13853 PERFORMED SERVCE ACTION. REPLACED TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER AND SEAL. (11 02 12)
(N/C)

Old 03-16-2012, 12:01 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ronnie948

I go back to the VA surgeon's in September and see if they can do anything for me this year. I see them every two years and so far no new treatments but this may be the year they found a new technique to help me.

What exactly do you need? I work here...http://www.arthrex.com/ and we make thousands of parts.

Old 03-16-2012, 05:05 PM
pappatho
2nd Gear
If you need an automatic, the rumor is the revised JCW engine that will most likely go into production later this year will have an automatic option, at least on the Countryman. I am assuming if they offer that on the Countryman they would offer it on all JCWs.

I did not ask because I did not even know I had a problem. The Guy that signed me in informed me that they received a bulletin about the tensioner and asked me if I wanted them to check to see if it needed replacing. It had to much slack in the chain so he asked me if I wanted it replaced. He said it would take most of the day. I told him I would wait for it to be done so I got the shuttle to take me to the Mall. I did ask them to check anything they could while I was there so they did and replaced the cabin filter, Drained and replaced the brake fluid and checked everything else. They replaced the original program on my computer to the very latest.

I really like this dealer (ORLANDO MINI) and wish all car dealers were this good to their customers. I had a Corvette before and I'm hoping I never ever see the inside of a Chevy dealer again in my lifetime.

I did get to drive a new "S" with the automatic transmission. I may eventually have to trade my JCW in for one due to my hip and leg getting A lot worse from long time ago injuries. It's really sad because I really love my 2009 factory JCW and it has been the most reliable trouble free car I have ever owned. It still thrills me to drive it until I get stuck in stop & go traffic. Then my hip and leg hurts so bad I can hardly stand it and have to stop and walk around.

I kind of liked the "S" and will probably put the JCW stage one engine kit on it as well as the extremely great sounding JCW exhaust.

Orlando Mini does sell OZ wheels now so I would have to go for a set of them installed.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:11 PM
RJG_R55_612
Neutral
My dealer not only done the rcall but checked my Timing chain and replaced all of the componants such as the tensioner,chain, rails,and everything else related.

They drained and replaced the brake fluid system, Replaced the cabin filter, and updated my computer to the latest program. They seemed to check every single part of my car.

*****And they did it all in one day so I just waited on it. I took the shuttle service over to the Mall and seen a couple of movies and ate while they worked on my car. When I got back to the dealer I test drove an "S" with the automatic transmission. Padel shifters are great. It was a nice enjoyable day in Orlando away from my house in Daytona. If I was home I never would go to the movies.

Orlando Mini has to be one of the best car dealers in the country just for the service and way they treat their customers and It is only A one hour drive from my house.

Got the same treatment as well this past Monday...after my car threw the belt off the alternator pulley...for the third time at 17k miles.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:15 PM
MiniRy
2nd Gear
I wish I had your dealer. So, is all that stuff they fixed/replaced cover under the 4/yr 50K warranty?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:01 AM
AAONMS
2nd Gear
Hmmmm...
Mine is a 2011, built in December 2010.
Local dealer checked my car when I was there to purchase a couple of parts.
They report that there is no recall for the water pump listed for my car.
I thought it odd at the time, but accepted it.
Now, I am beginning to wonder

Old 03-27-2012, 04:41 AM
MichaelinA2
1st Gear
..I test drove an "S" with the automatic transmission. Padel shifters are great...
At first, I was uncertain about how well I would like the automatic transmission. In a very short time I learned to use its paddle shifters and manual shifting. You lose the ability to skip a gear (like, go 6 to 4), but the engine and auto-transmission interact in a way that still allows down-shift engine braking, while preventing excessive engine rpms, plus you can shift up or down while accelerating. A neat piece of engineering and a great setup that cleverly offers expanded control and a responsive, enhanced driving experience. I'm very impressed and pleased.

In addition, I'm consistently getting over 40mpg (49.1, once) at freeway speeds.

Cheers...

Last edited by MichaelinA2; 03-27-2012 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:13 AM
Minibeagle
6th Gear
Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Le awesome, OP

Old 03-27-2012, 07:36 AM
Herleman
5th Gear
+1 for Garrett and Brian at Orlando Mini. Simply the best service I've gotten on any of the 19+ cars I've owned in my lifetime. First rate team.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 PM
mcmmotorsports
3rd Gear
There is a Chain Tensioner recall out for the '09's?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:20 PM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Hi Herleman &&& mcmotorsports

You sure are right about Brian & Garrett at Orlando Mini.

I went in for the water pump recall and they not only did that but replaced my Tensioner componants and did all of the warranty work that needed doing. They even updated my computer programing to the latest program.

I don't think there is a better dealer anywhere then Orlando Mini.

mcmotorsports
There is no recall on the tensioner/ timing chain. The next time you go to your dealer just mention the service bulliten on that problem and let them check if your car needs the parts replaced.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mcmmotorsports
There is a Chain Tensioner recall out for the '09's?
Nope. No recall. It does appear that some dealers are checking cars for tensioner issues. If found, and under warranty, then they are making repairs.

There is a service bulletin for the chain tensioner and timing chain. If you think about it, it is a win-win for the dealer to look at this right?

1. They are being paid by MINI USA to make the turbo aux water pump fix.
2. If under warranty, they are also being paid by MINI USA for that repair.
3. If not under warranty, they will probably convince you to pay them for the repair before you trash your motor.
4. The additional work is probably less than book rate of the individual repairs if added up separately. (my guess. therefore making them more money)

Old 03-29-2012, 05:24 AM
MCS Fever
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 05r50
Nope. No recall. It does appear that some dealers are checking cars for tensioner issues. If found, and under warranty, then they are making repairs.

There is a service bulletin for the chain tensioner and timing chain. If you think about it, it is a win-win for the dealer to look at this right?

The SA's computer told him our 2010 needed the timing chain tensioner & seal "service action". Before the car ever was in the service shop.

Receipt reads:

PERFORM 11 02 12
CAMPAIGNS 50WP94M
13853 PERFORMED SERVCE ACTION. REPLACED TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER AND SEAL. (11 02 12)
(N/C)

Last edited by MCS Fever; 03-29-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:15 AM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MCS Fever
The SA's computer told him our 2010 needed the timing chain tensioner & seal "service action". Before the car ever was in the service shop.

Receipt reads:

PERFORM 11 02 12
CAMPAIGNS 50WP94M
(N/C)
Not sure if that's a campaign only for later model-year vehicles or what...? When mine went in at the beginning of April for the auxiliary water pump, there was no mention of this campaign -- but I didn't specifically ask about it either.

What I did lodge a complaint about, and receive warranty work for, was a periodically rattling cold start rattle. The tensioner was replaced without any hassles, but here's where my confusion is creeping in: you received a tensioner, P/N 11-31-4-609-483; mine apparently received a different tensioner, P/N 11-31-4-609-482. RealOEM shows the -483 part number on their exploded parts diagram pertaining to my vehicle, but ECS Tuning carries both parts (see previously-embedded links) -- which appear to be essentially the same...

So, what's the difference...? The '09 and '10 models have the same engine, so...?

Old 04-27-2012, 08:44 AM
howieschoon
2nd Gear
I didn't double check the part numbers but one is about 5mm longer than the other. This is a band-aid type fix that doesn't cost MINI much to do and hopefully, for them, gets the customer out of the warranty period before the whole chain and all 3 guides need to be replaced. I highly recommend that if all they did is change the tensioner to a longer one that you complain that the car is acting the same way. Hopefully they will do the complete replacement. If not, you'll end up paying for it because it will eventually need it. I had my car in 7 (yes, SEVEN) times for this issue, MINI never did anything except replace the shorter tensioner with another short tensioner. Three different dealerships and even calling MINI USA and nothing. I even changed to the longer tensioner MYSELF, since they wouldn't even do that. That worked for a few weeks and now I will be changing my timing chain, also myself.

Old 04-27-2012, 09:02 AM
nykwan
4th Gear
I just had my 2011 JCW in for annual maintenance and they said my car wasnt on the list for the water pump or tensioner thing.

Old 05-01-2012, 12:26 PM
timfitz63
5th Gear
Originally Posted by howieschoon
I didn't double check the part numbers but one is about 5mm longer than the other. This is a band-aid type fix that doesn't cost MINI much to do and hopefully, for them, gets the customer out of the warranty period before the whole chain and all 3 guides need to be replaced. I highly recommend that if all they did is change the tensioner to a longer one that you complain that the car is acting the same way. Hopefully they will do the complete replacement. If not, you'll end up paying for it because it will eventually need it. I had my car in 7 (yes, SEVEN) times for this issue, MINI never did anything except replace the shorter tensioner with another short tensioner. Three different dealerships and even calling MINI USA and nothing. I even changed to the longer tensioner MYSELF, since they wouldn't even do that. That worked for a few weeks and now I will be changing my timing chain, also myself.
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind and consider squawking some more at them. The paperwork from the work did specifically state that they installed a longer tensioner in mine, but I wasn't aware there were different lengths of 'longer.' It would be nice to know if the one that's now in mine is the latest version...

I verbally asked the SA about the chain and guides, and he said all were inspected and were fine. I'm pretty sure they put the chain length measurement on my paperwork, but I don't have that handy at the moment to state what the measurement was...

I've heard some people state that unless the chain is replaced with the tensioner, it's only a 'half-fix.' With a given (longer-length) tensioner, how does a newer chain improve the situation if the older chain was unstretched?

Last edited by timfitz63; 05-01-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Took my 2009 JCW in for the recall & guess what?