Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
dbex
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by r53s
On the configurator when you add the additional aero package it also adds the vent on the side skirt. Yes all the jcw cars from 12 up have the front and rear bumpers, grille and a slightly deeper partially painted side skirt. The aero package does add the vent and black grille surround. It also makes a difference if the kit is port installed when it arrives in the states vs having it installed at the factory.
That's consistent with the pictures for the MY '13 JCWs on Motoringfile -- the Clubman doesn't have the vented skirts. Any idea how much it costs to add the aero package vented side skirts? Hard to imagine it's the full $2182 it costs to add the JCW aero package to the Clubman S, but who knows....

Old 03-13-2013, 07:03 AM
jamesday24
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In a nutshell: The 2010 factory JCW model didn't come with the JCW Aerokit standard. They looked like a Cooper S but with a JCW badge.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:04 AM
Airborne Ranger
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For what it's worth...My 2012 FJCW R55 did come with the standard Aero package (front/rear bumper and a slightly aerodynamic side skirt) but did not come with the Aero package side skirts with the vents- I had to buy them from outmotoring for $950 then have them painted... they are purely aestetic and do not offer rear break cooling as I had originally thought. it is/was confusing particularly with the skirts..why Mini didnt include the vented skirts is beyond me.
-my 2 cents

Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 AM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Airborne Ranger
For what it's worth...My 2012 FJCW R55 did come with the standard Aero package (front/rear bumper and a slightly aerodynamic side skirt) but did not come with the Aero package side skirts with the vents- I had to buy them from outmotoring for $950 then have them painted... they are purely aestetic and do not offer rear break cooling as I had originally thought. it is/was confusing particularly with the skirts..why Mini didnt include the vented skirts is beyond me.
-my 2 cents
That's cause they can get us to spend more after the initial purchase ;p

Old 03-25-2013, 12:55 PM
MUNGO
2nd Gear
JCW Aero kit started coming standard on JCWs in 2012, prior cars it was an option.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:29 PM
12 JCW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by IzzyG
That's cause they can get us to spend more after the initial purchase ;p
Also, the non-vented fJCW aero sides on the R55 Clubman after March 2012 builds are probably 'excess' inventory from the 2009 era. I can't find any dealers story to match why the change; MINI USA either doesn't have a clue or won't share the reason. Although the dealer screwed up my order (I specifically gave a picture with the side scuttles), after a year with mine, the non-scuttle kind of grew on me.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 PM
dbex
1st Gear
Originally Posted by 12 JCW
Also, the non-vented fJCW aero sides on the R55 Clubman after March 2012 builds are probably 'excess' inventory from the 2009 era. I can't find any dealers story to match why the change; MINI USA either doesn't have a clue or won't share the reason. Although the dealer screwed up my order (I specifically gave a picture with the side scuttles), after a year with mine, the non-scuttle kind of grew on me.
Ha, just looked at your gallery - our '13 JCW clubman (currently at the dealer with the finishing touches being applied) is going to look almost *exactly* like yours.

Old 04-13-2013, 06:59 AM
12 JCW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dbex
Ha, just looked at your gallery - our '13 JCW clubman (currently at the dealer with the finishing touches being applied) is going to look almost *exactly* like yours.
Wow, can't wait to see your '13. The Clubman Rally Edition is what leaned me toward the MINI in the first place, and since the aero kits were added as normal equipment on the JCWs, it was a no-brainer - too bad the dealer failed to understand difference between the scuttle port and non-scuttle port on the side skirts when I placed my order. I also plan to do zero mods because the 2005 Toyota X-Runner I had, I did several mods and it caused major problems with the warranty - even on things not applicable with the mods. Only 'semi-mods' I did to my Clubman: tinted windows, had them add regular sport stripes continued to bumpers, front license plate in the tow hook position, and heat shield under hood. Hope your JCW is as fun as mine.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 AM
dbex
1st Gear
looking forward to it. it'll technically be my wife's car, but since we're trading in my S4 on it, it becomes our "fun" car by default. you'll probably see it in person at some point - not sure exactly where Haymarket is, but I'm in Bethesda. :-)

Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
robyb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by calforhelp
That's the factory aero kit, no longer available. And if you think that's bad, check out how it was originally sold before they started painting the wheel arch trim:

What is this front bumper? I was looking at everyone's pictures because I recently bought an '09 Clubman JCW and I have that same front bumper. My sideskirts are nicer with the black trim that continues below, but then the arch also ends on my rear bumper. In my case I think it looks great, maybe it's because my car is hot chocolate and not red, doesnt stick out so much.

Will the JCW brake air duct grill kit fit on my car if I have that bumper (that's my main reason for asking)

Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-img_0629.jpg

Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-img_0626.jpg

Cheers,
Roby!

Old 07-04-2013, 05:56 PM
SuperGreg
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by r53s
The vent on the side skirt is not standard on a jcw. It is included only on the jcw aero kit. I believe the word you are looking for is modded. I am glad your friend has a jcw and you have one ordered but what does that mean anyway? I have 4 jcw hardtops on our lot right now. 3 that are there have no vent... 1 does because it was ordered with the jcw aero package.
Yes it is (For 2013 anyway). I have a 2013 and it came standard.

Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-image-3760433171.jpg

Old 07-05-2013, 05:27 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by robyb
What is this front bumper? I was looking at everyone's pictures because I recently bought an '09 Clubman JCW and I have that same front bumper. My sideskirts are nicer with the black trim that continues below, but then the arch also ends on my rear bumper. In my case I think it looks great, maybe it's because my car is hot chocolate and not red, doesnt stick out so much.

Will the JCW brake air duct grill kit fit on my car if I have that bumper (that's my main reason for asking)

Attachment 76897

Attachment 76898

Cheers,
Roby!
I believe it's the same front bumper we have. Unfortunately I don't have any really good pictures handy but this one should do. I thought the JCW Aero kit would work. We bought one and although it's really really really close it actually doesn't fit. We sent some photos to Way Motor Works and they told us what bumper we had but I can't remember the name. Anyways now we have a JCW brake duct setup for sale

Old 07-05-2013, 05:50 AM
robyb
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by v10climber
I believe it's the same front bumper we have. Unfortunately I don't have any really good pictures handy but this one should do. I thought the JCW Aero kit would work. We bought one and although it's really really really close it actually doesn't fit. We sent some photos to Way Motor Works and they told us what bumper we had but I can't remember the name. Anyways now we have a JCW brake duct setup for sale

Thanks for the confirmation! No brake ducts for me :(

Old 07-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Kurtster
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
I can confirm that my 2013 JCW coupe came standard with the side vents so it's likely a model year change on what constitutes standard JCW equipment that caused all this confusion. The original post that started this thread was about a pre-2012 model.

Airborne Ranger's 2012 was probably built right about when the changeover happened so he was unlucky in the same way that when I bought my '04 MCS in December of '03 I ended up with a two-spoke steering wheel instead of the three-spoke.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:58 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Originally Posted by v10climber

This is a picture of the Hyper Sport Body kit bumper and side skirts.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more