Factory JCW Talk (2009+) Discussion of the factory-built 2nd Gen JCW MINI Cooper S, and all unique aspects of this trim.

Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 08:59 PM
cfrea
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached

I have a 2011 JCW and my side skirts look like the black car, yet I see a lot of cars with the side skirts looking like the white one in the photo.

What is the difference? Does that little scoop provide any function or purely cosmetic? Also what determines you getting that little scoop or not? Is it a body kit package etc?

I bought the car used so I really don't know the car is different compared to the majority of JCW's I see.

Thanks

Here is another image of what my sideskirts are missing:

Last edited by cfrea; 03-09-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 PM
r53s
1st Gear
Your car does not have the aero kit. The white one does.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
which kit is this lol? 2010 model year

Attached Thumbnails Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-cam00491.jpg  

Last edited by guywhomaybuyamini; 03-09-2013 at 09:40 PM. Reason: OOOPS
Old 03-09-2013, 09:44 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by guywhomaybuyamini
which kit is this lol? 2010 model year
That's the factory aero kit, no longer available. And if you think that's bad, check out how it was originally sold before they started painting the wheel arch trim:

The PW MINI in the first post has a JCW aero kit.

The Black MINI in the first post has the standard S kit. I think that one is probably not even a fJCW. Probably an S with a JCW package tho it does have a red roof which isn't included in any JCW package so I'm confused. You should also notice that your front bumper is quite different and your rear bumper looks vastly better than the JCW kit.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:48 PM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by r53s
Your car does not have the aero kit. The white one does.
Hate to burst your bubble. The white one has the JCW kit. The black one has the Aero kit on it.

JCW:
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...de_skirts.html

Aero:
https://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coo...de_skirts.html

Old 03-09-2013, 10:39 PM
r53s
1st Gear
The aero kit was discontinued in 2010.. the jcw body kit has front,rear bumpers and sideskirt is deeper and part is painted.. the jcw aero kit has same front and rear bumpers but the sideskirt has the little vent in it.. the black car posted is most likely a jcw, they were available as a jcw without the jcw body kit.
as far as busting my bubble.. make sure you are correct before being rude. was that really needed?
also red roof is an option for jcw cars.. mine has a red roof.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
The aero kit was discontinued in 2010.. the jcw body kit has front,rear bumpers and sideskirt is deeper and part is painted.. the jcw aero kit has same front and rear bumpers but the sideskirt has the little vent in it.. the black car posted is most likely a jcw, they were available as a jcw without the jcw body kit.
as far as busting my bubble.. make sure you are correct before being rude. was that really needed?
also red roof is an option for jcw cars.. mine has a red roof.
Rude? How is pointing out a mistake rude?

First off, just because someone has a red roof doesn't mean they kept the JCW body kit on it. I know plenty that moded over to the Aero kit.

Second, the vents that you talk about are standard on the FJCW body kit. It's not an Aero kit. I would know, My friend owns a 2013 JCW and I have one on order. I even posted the links to show the difference between the two kits.

Additionally, what does a red roof have to do with this conversation? Yes, we all know a red roof is only on JCW's. Doesn't mean it wasn't moded after the fact like I stated above.

So to clarify, the Black car is a JCW (you can also tell by the badging on the front, although it can be put there after the fact), but has the Aero kit installed.

The white one has the JCW kit installed.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 PM
guywhomaybuyamini
3rd Gear
WOW that is hideous. lol ...

For the record Mine is a factory installed aero kit on a JCW for 2010. I'm assuming the dealer installed aero kit would look different because of the nonpainted(black) arches.

Name:  CAM00289_zps5d954a11.jpg
Views: 966
Size:  60.5 KB

Originally Posted by calforhelp
That's the factory aero kit, no longer available. And if you think that's bad, check out how it was originally sold before they started painting the wheel arch trim:

The PW MINI in the first post has a JCW aero kit.

The Black MINI in the first post has the standard S kit. I think that one is probably not even a fJCW. Probably an S with a JCW package tho it does have a red roof which isn't included in any JCW package so I'm confused. You should also notice that your front bumper is quite different and your rear bumper looks vastly better than the JCW kit.

Last edited by guywhomaybuyamini; 03-10-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
r53s
1st Gear
The vent on the side skirt is not standard on a jcw. It is included only on the jcw aero kit. I believe the word you are looking for is modded. I am glad your friend has a jcw and you have one ordered but what does that mean anyway? I have 4 jcw hardtops on our lot right now. 3 that are there have no vent... 1 does because it was ordered with the jcw aero package.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Vassago68
2nd Gear
The vent on the side skirt is not standard on a jcw. It is included only on the jcw aero kit. I believe the word you are looking for is modded. I am glad your friend has a jcw and you have one ordered but what does that mean anyway? I have 4 jcw hardtops on our lot right now. 3 that are there have no vent... 1 does because it was ordered with the jcw aero package.
Odd considering my friend never ordered the Aero Kit and he has the vents or fins. Whatever you'd like to call them.

Also, if you actually LOOKED at the links I replied with, they show the same thing. The Aero kit does not have the fins, where the JCW kit does.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
That's why people like me don't get proper information because of posts like these. All the OP was trying to do was find out the difference.

WOW. smh

Old 03-09-2013, 11:43 PM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Here you go OP. MINI calls it JCW Aero Package II. This is just a pic of the rocker panel strip on the side, of course, you can buy it as a whole set which includes the front and rear bumper.

Attached Thumbnails Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-image-187723678.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 01:47 AM
cfrea
1st Gear
Lol this post is now confusing.

This is exactly what my car looks like (the seller provided me with the PDF build)

So I have a JCW without the aero kit. Right?

What am I missing other than the side skirt? What other additions or changes does the aero kit on a JCW provide?

Thanks

Old 03-10-2013, 03:32 AM
MiniBOL
4th Gear
Here's the front and rear bumper of mine with the JCW aero. These plus the sides are what you would need if you want this look.

Nice color by the way! LOL

Attached Thumbnails Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-image-642710622.jpg   Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-image-891701370.jpg   Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached-image-2614033500.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
This thread is funny.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 PM
r53s
1st Gear
MiniBOL is correct.. thats excactly what i was trying to say yesterday...

Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wait. So you can order a fJCW without the JCW Aero kit? Is the kit not standard? How do you even get that configuration to show up on the MINI Configurator?

Originally Posted by cfrea

This is exactly what my car looks like (the seller provided me with the PDF build)

What am I missing other than the side skirt? What other additions or changes does the aero kit on a JCW provide?

Thanks

Old 03-10-2013, 07:35 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cfrea

Thanks
Because your car is a pre 2012 model your car comes with the standard body panels (visually the same as the Cooper S) and the JCW aero kit was an option. From 2012 forward MINI made all JCW cars have the JCW aero kit as standard. The aero kit consists of a different front and rear bumper as well as body color matched side skirts that you pointed out in your first post. Hope this helps.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:25 AM
iamwiz82
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is a factory 2012 JCW, note that it has the JCW aero kit.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
dbex
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Anubis1654
.... From 2012 forward MINI made all JCW cars have the JCW aero kit as standard. The aero kit consists of a different front and rear bumper as well as body color matched side skirts that you pointed out in your first post. Hope this helps.
Is that confirmed? I just ordered a '13 JCW Clubman, and my sales rep said the same thing -- she even joked that the JCW aero kit option that shows up on the online configurator is only for people who just feel like forking over extra money, since the kit is standard. However, I saw elsewhere on this board someone claiming that the JCW aero kit was a stand-alone option on the '13s that must be ordered separately. I hope you're right!

Old 03-11-2013, 07:31 PM
IzzyG
6th Gear
Sorry but that little vent makes or breaks the look. Otherwise, it just looks like painted regular side skirts/arches. -cringe-

As a point of reference, my 09 factory JCW had regular bumpers and side skirts until I ripped it off(gently of course) ;p

Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by dbex
Is that confirmed? I just ordered a '13 JCW Clubman, and my sales rep said the same thing -- she even joked that the JCW aero kit option that shows up on the online configurator is only for people who just feel like forking over extra money, since the kit is standard. However, I saw elsewhere on this board someone claiming that the JCW aero kit was a stand-alone option on the '13s that must be ordered separately. I hope you're right!
These guys are never wrong

http://www.motoringfile.com/2011/06/...l-jcw-minis-2/

It is weird that on the configurator on the miniusa site you can add the aero kit on the car when it is already installed as standard. I did notice that when the optional one is selected the chrome grill changes to black, but other than that I don't see any other difference between the standard aero kit and the optional one that can be added on the JCW accessories section of the configurator. Basically to sum it up, yes from 2012-2013 or until the F56 comes out, the JCW aero kit is standard on all JCWs.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by iamwiz82
This is a factory 2012 JCW, note that it has the JCW aero kit.

Awesome combo by the way. I was thinking of doing the same for when i put in my order.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
r53s
1st Gear
On the configurator when you add the additional aero package it also adds the vent on the side skirt. Yes all the jcw cars from 12 up have the front and rear bumpers, grille and a slightly deeper partially painted side skirt. The aero package does add the vent and black grille surround. It also makes a difference if the kit is port installed when it arrives in the states vs having it installed at the factory.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:31 PM
Anubis1654
2nd Gear
I'm not sure what you guys are saying about this vent on the side skirt, but the jcw aero kit that is now standard should include the side skirt as well as the front and rear bumper covers. I looked at MINIBOL's pics and it looks like the front bumper is slightly different than the original (optional kit before 2012) jcw aero kit. There appears to be a separate piece around the lower grill and the chrome around the upper grill, where as the old jcw aero kit was all one piece and had the black surround and the upper grill. I can't find the picture but when I was last at a mini dealer a couple of weeks ago the factory jcw with the standard kit looked exactly like iamwiz82's pic above.

Quick Reply: Why is there a difference between 2011 JCW side skirts? Pic attached