R60/R61 Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for R60 AND R61 MINI Cooper and Cooper S MINIs.

HELP. My countryman S all 4 sport is too stiff how can i undo the sport suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 06:50 PM
wfaddah
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP. My countryman S all 4 sport is too stiff how can i undo the sport suspension

Hello,

I went from the E46 M3 to a Mini Countryman S all 4 with a sport suspension. i am driving it to DC, and DC is a very bumpy city. i have 18 inches as well with run flats which is annoying. the car handles like a dream on corners but hitting the bumps is 1- loud, 2- it shakes the car and 3- stiff, really stiff for a CUV. and i am not happy, and would like the stock countryman.

now, what goes to a sport suspension from MINI? what changed from Regular? springs, shocks, anti-sway bar, all?

best recommendation to unstiff it, PLEASE, i am willing to swap anything with a non sport, its too stiff for DC awesome for Virginia on nice smooth roads. what would be the cheapest way to fix this issue?

Gimmick or fact?

1 - I heard things like there is a bigger sway bar on the sport suspension? do all countrymen have anti sway bars? if i take the sway bar off would that help? the regular countryman S, do they have smaller bars than one with a sport suspension?

2 - The springs, are there any softer springs that would keep the stock height? i am sure the springs are major in this issue.

3 - Are dampers/shocks the same on countryman S without sport suspension or the sport suspension have a stiffer damper?

4 - 17 inch wheels? i am going for that, i have no choice.

5 - is it hopless and just sell the car, or am i panicking for no reason?

6 - if there is no easy exit, anyone wants to trade non sport suspension with mine? i will not charge anything, clean swap. i live in VA

Please help, i would really appreciate it.

Last edited by wfaddah; 03-03-2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:00 PM
52804x4
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 03-03-2012, 07:18 PM
wfaddah
1st Gear
Thank you for your response.
1- change tires. i am going to buy a 17 inch rims, non run flats and increase tire size. what else?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
wfaddah
1st Gear
what about the sway bar?

Old 03-04-2012, 02:26 AM
wfaddah
1st Gear
please

100 views 1 reply? so i guess rims and tires are the only options i have? i am starting to realise i have made a huge mistake buying this car, the dealer is asking for 6 grand to make it normal... is this the only option?

Old 03-04-2012, 03:20 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You need to find someone who has the stock suspension and wants the sport stuff. Then have him pay for the swap and maybe give you some $$. There are folks out there on the other side of the situation. You just need to find the right match.

Taking off the runflats will do much more than you might imagine. It may bring things to a place you like. We have two minis, the wife has runflats. I literally cringe when I drive her car.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:56 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The sway bar is the least of your worries. Order in which to try the changes: Non RTFs, possibly smaller wheels, springs and shocks are last.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:07 AM
kunzman
3rd Gear
I live in Cleveland, OH and when I was considering my options when purchasing I asked the dealer about the Sport package he said unless you are going to race the car, don't do it. So that and lounge leather were the only options I did not get. Otherwise I loaded up on all the rest of the options.

As others have mentioned, switch out to 17s with non-runflats. Buy your wheels and tires from Tire Rack to save some money. Sell your 18s and tires on eBay. This would be the least cost way to go.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:09 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kunzman

As others have mentioned, switch out to 17s with non-runflats. Buy your wheels and tires from Tire Rack to save some money. Sell your 18s and tires on eBay. This would be the least cost way to go.
Or, if you want to keep stock, and save money, find someone with 17 and swap with him plus $$. This will offset the cost of new tires, then you can also sell the runflats separate and since they are expensive, you will gain money this way.

If you find the right folks, this will cost next to nothing.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 AM
wfaddah
1st Gear
I already ordered 17, but what is the anatomy of the sport suspension? I want it to be normal just like yours... Do I have the same shocks? I know I have stiffer springs, I know I have a sway bar, does yours have a sway bar? Thank you for replying

Old 03-04-2012, 05:11 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+1 on what yetti recommended. Tires, springs, shocks. Should make it right for you.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 AM
wfaddah
1st Gear
is swapping to 17 giving them the 18 unless someone from here wants them, I just want dark 17 please

Old 03-04-2012, 05:13 AM
kunzman
3rd Gear
See this post for the spare you will need to carry. I have the 17" run flats but still carry this. What happens if the run flats completely fail and you are in some remote place? A real spare is the only way to go.

Old 03-04-2012, 05:17 AM
kunzman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wfaddah
is swapping to 17 giving them the 18 unless someone from here wants them, I just want dark 17 please
What kind of deal is the dealer giving you by swapping to 17s?

If the tires have very little wear on them, then it should be a pretty even swap minus the money to make the change.

Old 03-04-2012, 06:48 AM
Kimsc321
3rd Gear
hey wfaddah, i'm interested in a exchange of my 17 to your 18. where do you live?

Old 03-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
As others have said, tires #1, then go from there. You could try disconnecting the sway bar from the end links and tying it out of the way to see if that makes a difference for you, but I doubt it would.
As for shocks, gen 1 people have been VERY happy with Koni FSD as a way to keep handling but get a much softer ride. They're likely cheaper than OEM as well.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM
fused
2nd Gear
I don't know if rims are your only options but I had the same issues with the "Flintstone Ride" of mini's with run flats. I finally couldn't take losing a filling in my teeth with every pothole so I ditched the RFs flinstone junk and put on non RFs.

The car completely changed from riding on Stones from Fred's rock query to a wonderful handling and riding sporty car.... I love it with normal tires.

I bought an exact rim as whats on the car, put a non-RF tire on it and call it a spare.
I have it lashed down in the trunk. Also have the slime kit. Im good to go.

Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
wfaddah
1st Gear
i live in VA, but i want dark rims... i have the 18 inch anthracite

Old 03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
wfaddah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fused
I don't know if rims are your only options but I had the same issues with the "Flintstone Ride" of mini's with run flats. I finally couldn't take losing a filling in my teeth with every pothole so I ditched the RFs flinstone junk and put on non RFs.

The car completely changed from riding on Stones from Fred's rock query to a wonderful handling and riding sporty car.... I love it with normal tires.

I bought an exact rim as whats on the car, put a non-RF tire on it and call it a spare.
I have it lashed down in the trunk. Also have the slime kit. Im good to go.
but do you have a sport suspension? cuase i tried same wheels and tired non sport demo, and oh boy it was softer, loud on every bump but much much softer than my ride.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM
wfaddah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
As others have said, tires #1, then go from there. You could try disconnecting the sway bar from the end links and tying it out of the way to see if that makes a difference for you, but I doubt it would.
As for shocks, gen 1 people have been VERY happy with Koni FSD as a way to keep handling but get a much softer ride. They're likely cheaper than OEM as well.
well, i am worried if i go for KONI's springs, they might not fit my ride, since i have a sport suspention which could be different sizes and all...

what i would love to know is, what is exactly the difference between CMS vs CMS sport suspension? what suspension parts are different? i am changing the weels and springs, but the shocks are expansive.... AND if the CMS does not have a anti sway bar, i am giving giving my sway bar to who ever wants it free of charge.

please if you know more, please reply... so far YOU GUYS BEEN GREAT

Old 03-04-2012, 12:39 PM
wfaddah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
i checked KONI website, they dont have CM as an option, only the coopers are there

Old 03-04-2012, 04:27 PM
Kimsc321
3rd Gear
Too bad you are in VA. Mine is 17in complete black anthracite as well....

Old 03-04-2012, 04:47 PM
wfaddah
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Kimsc321
Too bad you are in VA. Mine is 17in complete black anthracite as well....
where are you located?

Old 03-04-2012, 05:55 PM
Kimsc321
3rd Gear
New Milford, NJ. Google map shows 8hrs, 400 miles from me to "Virginia".

Funny, I was at baltimore last weekend..... Could of met half way

Old 03-04-2012, 10:26 PM
wfaddah
1st Gear
so no one knows what exactly goes to a countryman sport suspension?

Quick Reply: HELP. My countryman S all 4 sport is too stiff how can i undo the sport suspension