General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

RallyX

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010 | 01:01 PM
minihune
|
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
RallyX

This thread will serve as how to get started in SCCA Rallycross which has local and national events throughout the country run all year long in good and bad weather on all surfaces.

Rallycross can be run on ice, snow, mud, gravel, dirt, grass, but not with dips and jumps preferably. The course is marked with cones but subject to changes during the event. Each event will have many runs with scoring done as cummulative time, you may have one run dropped so consistency counts and fewer errors (especially running off course by missing a gate) is best since every penalty can add up.

For the MINI classes include-

Stock FWD
Prepared FWD
Modified 2WD

Some regions class Modified into a combined 2WD for both front and rear wheel drive while others will split RWD from FWD
Race numbers are same rules as SCCA Solo with 8" high numbers and 4" high letters, usually Magnets are ok.

Rules 2010
http://cms.scca.com/documents/Rally%...ross_Rules.pdf

Getting Started-
Probably the simplest approach is to just get to an event and drive in Stock class FWD or AWD using any MINI.
As you get more experience you can decide how much you want to budget.
You can rent a helmet (must be Snell rated) or purchase one. Any helmet from SCCA autocross should be OK.
Pump up your tires extra - about 40-42+ psi is good. 33 is definitely too low as dirt has a way of finding it's way into the tire bead.
1/4 tank of gas or more is fine.

Preparation-
Get out to an event- see what it is like and ride along as navigator or passenger if you can. Doesn't matter what car or trunk, just get the feel of it.
Since each event is on a different surface the experience will vary.
Be sure to wear comfortable clothes suitable for the temperatures which vary from hot to cold.
Bringing some face breathing protection from dust and dirt would be good
Bring water and hat, sunblock and chair could be helpful.
Get your rest the night before
Get to the event early if you are a driver
Prep your car and make sure everything is tight and in working order a day or two before, even a week before
If you get serious or have these handy then use them-
Skid plate for protection (comes in aluminum 9 lbs or steel)
Winter wheels (stock sized) and snow tires non studded unless snow or ice is present at event.

What not to do-
Take you track ready or autocross lowered MINI with wide summer tires to Rallycross.
You will need narrow and knobby tires and raised or stock suspension for more clearance.
Otherwise it's easy to become a dirt and rock plow on the course or throw dirt and rocks in your power steering fan and knock it out.

Day of the Event-
Walk the course to study the design and look to see where the tight turns are and where the straightaways are.
Realize that the course may and will change as cars and trucks dig holes and ruts into the ground which may result in a course change.
You should be familar with the basic course and be prepared to adjust for debris and course changes even run to run.
If there is a water truck to help wet the ground and keep dust down then you may be driving in mud which tends to dry up but will be very slippery initially
Watch the other drivers when they are out on the course and see where people are having trouble, getting loss or making good time.
Keep mentally focused on the event and try not be too distracted by others except at lunch or after the event.
Don't forget to drink water early and avoid dehydration- events can last all day.

Strategy-(things to think about)
Little or no traction which translates to slower speeds and a longer run time.
Consistency all day long not a single fastest run.
Making as few errors as possible and avoiding a missed gate at all costs (10 second penalty)
Expecting any surface with unpredictable conditions that change from run to run- rocks, loose dirt, gravel, mud, anything
If there is a fast straight try to enter it as fast as possible and carry speed as long as you can but if there is a tight turn after the straight don't expect to slow down in loose dirt- brake early enough to control your speed and avoid overshooting the turn.
Dodge potholes and ruts as much as you can, avoid risk and damage.
Try a different line on the course that gives you a shorter distance- cut the corners close as you can instead of overshooting.
Avoid wheelspin by keeping throttle control just high enough for the tires to grab then once you get traction then increase throttle easy. Too much torque with not enough grip = little speed.
A good deep car wash once you get done/home and don't forget inside the engine bay, under and in the wheel wells and in the interior which seems almost as dirty and the outside.
To protect your aftermarket air filter like K&N cone filter you can use a outer prefilter cover, see http://www.outerwearsracing.com/cate....asp?cat=11439 , it's about $28 and can be done custom fit if needed. This will keep sand and dirt away from your filter and it is washable.

Last edited by minihune; 12-28-2010 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2010 | 08:50 PM
minihune
|
Info about classes for the MINI and basic rules (refer to the SCCA link for complete rules which may change from year to year).

Stock class
This is a good place to start. Any MINI can try this out, the new Countryman ALL4 would be best due to four wheel drive and higher suspension but the wheels and tires may not be as good for traction on loose surfaces and weight will be more.

Stock rules
Tires- DOT approved, not modified with studs, plus or minus 20mm width from stock size for the tire, and within plus or minus 5% of sidewall aspect ratio. So if stock tire is 205/45-17 then you can run tires from 185 to 225mm and from 40 to 50 series. And if your Cooper has 175/65-15 tires then 155 to 195 mm and 60 to 70 series sidewalls are OK. Studded tires are allowed only if event is run in snow or ice.
Any wheel of same width and diameter as stock with offset up to 9.5mm from OEM
Any drop in air filter using stock air box.
Mudflaps (rubber) and skid plates (metal) are OK, Skid plate info- https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2553571
Dress up items (shift *****, pedal covers) that give no weight or performance advantage are OK
Any brake pads
Any fuel (unleaded from pump)
Any clutch disc or plate
Any Cat Back exhaust exiting out the rear
Any front swaybar (can be removed)
Shocks that fit OEM sized (Koni yellow or Koni FSD ok)
Replacement batteries of the same size and group OK
Any wheel alignment settings using stock parts OK
Spare tire, tools and jacks can be removed

Prepared class
All of the stock class modifications plus:
Any rear swaybar
Any brakes (big brake kit ok)
Any exhaust from Engine cylinder heads back- downpipes, midpipes or cat back exhaust OK
Any intake upstream from throttlebody (can add a prefilter see http://www.outerwearsracing.com/cate....asp?cat=11439)
OK stock turbo, supercharger or intercooler allowed
Turbo boost regulation system can be modified or replaced
Short shift kit OK
Front and rear tower bars OK
Any shocks and springs of OEM type using OEM mounting points
Electronic engine controls can be modified but not replaced
Any front seat
Any wheels
Any limited slip differential
Any battery
Any tire not homebuilt studded

Modified class
All of the stock/prepared class modifications plus:
Any Electronic engine controls
Weight reduction is allowed including- removal of full interior, removal/replacement of side and rear windows, etc
Any engine
Any drivetrain
Any suspension including changes to geometry
Additional chassis braces or seam welding is permitted. see X brace, http://www.waymotorworks.com/tsw-tex...ks/index2.html
Any fuel system

Vehicle and Driver safety-
All loose items inside or outside the car needs to be removed-
Sunroofs closed
Nothing in trunk or passenger area- no floor mats
Side windows cannot be more than 1" down when driving or on the passenger side when passenger is present
Tires must be in good condition no cracks or cords showing
Roll cages are recommended but not required

Last edited by minihune; 12-27-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 09-23-2010 | 08:33 AM
minihune
|
You are allowed up to two drivers per car per class. So if you have a stock MINI you can have two drivers each for stock, prepared and modified FWD or six drivers total possible.

For each run you can have a navigator wearing closed shoes and rated helmet. Helmets must be SNELL rated M95, M2000, M2005 or M2010. They can be open or closed face helmets. SA rated helmets are OK but more costly as they are for motorsports and fire rated whereas motorcycle helmets are not fire rated. As navigator you can see the course and gain some experience. You can ride along with several drivers or you can co-drive and switch off with your partner.

Course Design
The SCCA rules are set up for-
Stock class cars to reach speeds up to 30 in turns and 40 on straights and for any car to reach about 40 on turns and up to 60 on straights.
Any surface is possible.
The course can be changed if the surface is getting beat up and rutted, etc.
Solid barriers should be at least 25 feet away from the course.

Penalties-
2 second penalty for every cone disrupted or tipped over.
10 sec penalty for each missed gate
Additional penalty can be accessed for any uncorrected deviation from course or due to unnecessary time delay.

Weather-
Rally cross is run in any weather
In the event of lightening the event can be delayed for weather to clear at least 30 minutes if lightening is within 30 seconds of thunder.

Tires-
(with some examples I have used)

Summer tires: Not good, won't provide enough traction in loose dirt or on grass or in the mud, low profile reduces clearance.

All season tires: Better than summer tires, higher profile but soft sidewall will flex, deep treads and sipes will help but not enough. Gives some traction, not ideal.

Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS in 185/65-15 $79 each

Continental ExtremeContact DWS (I have not tried this)

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....emeContact+DWS
Possible for larger wheels, none in 15".

Winter tires: studless, cheap tires OK, studs only on ice or in deep snow events. Works better than All season tires but sidewalls are very soft and combined with taller profile can be less responsive. No need to use performance winter tires, basic tires with aggressive tread will work. Traction is low for mud and very loose dirt.

Firestone WinterForce Snow tire- 185/65-15 for $71 each. Soft tread and soft tall sidewall.

Rally tires (basic)- Works better than standard winter tires. Not as good in very loose dirt and standing mud. Can get totally coated with heavy mud. Has reinforced and very stiff sidewalls.

Tire Size // Rim Width in inches // Permitted Rim Width in inches // Tyre Section Width in mm // Overall Diameter in mm // Tread Width in mm

15/62-15 // 5.5 // 5.0-6.5 // 189 // 620 // 156 (For the MINI using 15" wheels)

16/64-15 // 6.0 // 5.0-7.0 // 196 // 638 // 156

17/65-15 // 6.5 // 6.0-7.0 // 214 // 648 // 180

Rally tires (knobby)- best for standing mud or water, good in loose dirt but still have to steer clear of worst areas. Tends not to get bogged down as easily. Works for any rally car- worth it for FWD or RWD, may combine with less aggressive tires on non drive axle but you still want as much traction as possible.

Silverstone S525M Mud Rally tire
Size Rim Width .
15/60 - 14 5.5 5.0 - 6.5 (Fits rims 14x5 to 6.5" wide, perfect for 5.5" rim)
15/60 - 15 5.5 5.0 - 6.5 (Fits rims 15x5 to 6.5" wide, perfect for 5.5" rim)- For the MINI on stock 15x5.5 or 15x6 rim
16/65 - 15 6.0 5.5 - 6.5 (Fits rims 15x5.5 to 6.5" wide, perfect for 6" rim)

A word about mud- mud is heavy. Try to avoid it because it will stick to everything. People tell me my car looks so clean while theres are covered in mud. The wheels get a 2" thick layer of mud over the tread and more mud gets stuck in the wheel wells. Knock this stuff off or drive around to jar it loose if you can before the next run. Too bad there is no spray on coating to resist mud from sticking- like mud repellant. Maybe cooking oil?

Last edited by minihune; 03-20-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 09-24-2010 | 12:29 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
There was a guy posting in the Mid-South MINIacs sub-forum a while back who was doing rallyx in a R56. I can't remember his name, but I am sure you could scan through the messages and find him pretty quickly.

Old 09-24-2010 | 03:21 PM
minihune
|
Thanks

It was a while ago

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-ar-kinda.html

The surfaces could be anything from grass dirt mud to ice or gravel.

Old 09-26-2010 | 02:20 PM
minihune
|
Hawaii Rallycross starts

Yesterday was the first of SCCA Rallycross in Hawaii at KRP which just opened.

see
http://www.forumshawaii.com/topic/38...ycross-at-krp/

Some pictures

Modified Front wheel drive class Cooper S on Stock 15" wheels and Bridgestone RE-960AS 195/60-15 tires

Tacoma RWD

Old 09-26-2010 | 06:58 PM
minihune
|
more pics

I'm lowered 1.7 inches on Bilstein PSS9 coilovers.

Traction was good if the ground is hard and compacted but on loose surfaces it was slippery.

After the water truck it was muddy and slippery and tires were caked with mud so no traction and deep ruts followed.

Some areas had loose non compacted dirt.

We used a firehose attached to the water truck to clean up at the end.

Old 09-27-2010 | 03:14 PM
minihune
|
Just got the results

http://www.sccahawaii.org/2010results/2010_0925_rallyx.pdf

We did five runs and dropped the slowest time
All times were added for a composite time overall

I got 1st out of 3 in Modified Front wheel drive and 3rd overall out of 30 total drivers.

Overall raw times
1. Subaru WRX Sti Prepared AWD 4:17
2. Honda CRX Stock FWD 4:19
3. Mini cooper Modified FWD 4:23
4. Subaru WRX Prepared AWD 4:29
5. Honda CRX Prepared FWD 4:32

Old 09-28-2010 | 06:20 PM
minihune
|
Some planned mods-

Raise ride height using coilovers already installed- stock height or a little less
Do Alignment for aggressive street use and not too much rear neg camber
Install Cobalt alloy skid plate 9.1 lbs from Moss MINI
Use slightly wider 15x6 rims and Firestone winter studless snow tires in 185/65-15 for the fronts only and stock rims and all season tires for rears.

Should be good.

Last edited by minihune; 10-04-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-29-2010 | 11:57 AM
astrochex
6th Gear
congrats minihune! how long have you been competing?

Old 09-29-2010 | 07:48 PM
minihune
|
Originally Posted by astrochex
congrats minihune! how long have you been competing?
For Rallycross that was my first ever event. I'm a novice.

My MINI is good but not for digging up dirt and mud.
I could have done better but the big rocks were making me second guess how to miss them. In the end I did not dodge them, they hit my front lower bumper to various degrees.

If I didn't care about my MINI I could have closed the gap towards the top two drivers but it might have been at a high price.

In the end I won my class so that was good for a start.

I do have six seasons of autocrossing background. And four in the MINI.

Old 10-04-2010 | 08:39 AM
RS22b
Neutral
Very cool to see some MINI's out there in Rallyx!

Good job on the class win!

Old 10-04-2010 | 10:11 AM
minihune
|
Thanks. The next event is coming soon Oct 17 but I am away on a trip.

We will see how the turnout is and if we get more drifters since they have no event in our area and drifting is OK at RallyX albeit slow/showy.

Old 10-23-2010 | 01:25 PM
minihune
|
Originally Posted by minihune
Thanks. The next event is coming soon Oct 17 but I am away on a trip.

We will see how the turnout is and if we get more drifters since they have no event in our area and drifting is OK at RallyX albeit slow/showy.
Due to low turnout the Oct 17 event was postponed.
Then the track got an eviction notice the following week.
Then it turned out that might have been done in error so we are waiting for a new Rallycross date to be approved, maybe as early as Nov 20

If so then we will be out there stirring up the dirt and mud.

I think if the terrain is not too uneven, rutted or full of rocks and roots, the MINI is not that bad for a Rallycar.

The speeds tend to be slower than in autocross but each run is an adventure.

Never a dull moment I guess.

Old 11-02-2010 | 10:44 AM
minihune
|
Next event is Nov 20

I did some mods for RallyX

Increased ride height with my Bilstein PSS9 coilovers but could not get to stock height.

Added
X brace
Cobalt skid plate

Alignment
Front toe 1/8" out and camber about -0.2 to -0.4 stock settings
Rear toe 1/8" in and camber about -1.3 degrees

Rear swaybar set to soft.

Old 11-05-2010 | 09:00 AM
JWA
2nd Gear
Very cool. I ran the SCCA RallyCross National Challenge series in STI's and Evo's the last three or four seasons, and recently bought an '05 MCS for winter/rainy day use. I always thought the modern MINI's would be good out in the dirt, but I've never seen one enter an event.

Dustin from AutoXCooper and I are going to run a local event this weekend. It's going to be interesting for me as I've never run a FWD car (or owned one other than my wife's car either, come to think of it) and won't be able to get any practice in before the event. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-05-2010 | 09:40 AM
minihune
|
Originally Posted by JWA
Very cool. I ran the SCCA RallyCross National Challenge series in STI's and Evo's the last three or four seasons, and recently bought an '05 MCS for winter/rainy day use. I always thought the modern MINI's would be good out in the dirt, but I've never seen one enter an event.

Dustin from AutoXCooper and I are going to run a local event this weekend. It's going to be interesting for me as I've never run a FWD car (or owned one other than my wife's car either, come to think of it) and won't be able to get any practice in before the event. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Thanks for your reply.

AWD is usually best but between RWD and FWD I like FWD better.

Surfaces vary and change with each run sometimes.

In just two runs we often see-
Packed dirt little grass slightly uneven
Gravel with dirt uneven
Wet mud with dirt
Loose dirt with ruts (dust storms)
Dirt with exposed large rocks or coral (live on an island)

Good luck with your event. Post some pictures.

I have a lowered MINI using coilovers and even at highest setting it is much lower than stock, about 3/4" drop in front and 1/2" drop in back.

Old 11-14-2010 | 08:38 AM
minihune
|
Next event is in one week on Nov 20.

Will be trying harder with the changes I have added to the MINI.

Old 11-21-2010 | 02:12 PM
minihune
|
Event 2 Nov 20
14 Drivers

http://www.sccahawaii.org/2010result...120_rallyx.pdf

Overall raw times
1. Subaru WRX Sti Prepared AWD 5:49.13
2. Subaru WRX Prepared AWD 6:08.78
3. Mini cooper Modified FWD 6:10.93
4. Subaru WRX Prepared AWD 6:18.36
5. Subaru Impreza RS Modified AWD 6:19.12

And the competition-

It's tough to beat out a well driven AWD WRX or Sti on snow tires.
You have to just be fearless and push the limit.

Conditions were good. Clear and 75 to 80 degrees. The course was mostly firm dirt to start and became pretty rutted after 6 runs for two heats.

I saw a lot of wide turns with wheel spin. I tried for close in on tight corners for a shorter overall line but still get back on throttle when possible. Toughest areas were in deep loose dirt, as I am still not stock height and I was plowing through the dirt and rocks.

Last edited by minihune; 12-25-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-04-2010 | 09:25 AM
minihune
|
Next event is Dec 18. No snow here, just 75 degree weather and mud or loose dirt and gravel.

With just All Season tires and lowered suspension for first event. Stock 15" wheels.

With slightly lower suspension- raised 1/2" front and 3/4" rear from previous event, added 15x6 rims and Winterforce snow tires in front only

Throwing up some dirt.

Old 12-19-2010 | 12:32 PM
minihune
|
Pretty good weather about 80 and cloudy yesterday for Event 3.

http://www.sccahawaii.org/2010result...218_rallyx.pdf

19 drivers total. Some new faces (one Evo).

I came in first in Modified FWD class and third overall behind some Subaru WRX rally cars. Missed 2nd overall by 2.5 seconds with total time just over 6 minutes.

Overall raw times
1. Subaru WRX Sti Prepared AWD 5:47.58
2. Subaru WRX Prepared AWD 6:04.76
3. Mini cooper Modified FWD 6:07.37
4. Toyota FX-16 Prepared FWD 6:22.41
5. Subaru Impreza RS Modified AWD 6:26.27

For three events I have first in class x 3 and 3rd overall x 3 with 30, 14, and 19 drivers per event. We are looking to grow our participation.

Some pictures-

Last edited by minihune; 12-25-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-14-2011 | 12:16 AM
minihune
|
January event was cancelled due to low interest.

This saturday is the next Rallycross. Hope we get enough drivers to hold it.
Just a few short right now.

New tires for the front wheels-

Got Firestone Winterforce tires in the back on same 15x6 rims as fronts.

The Rally tires are very firm rubber and stiff sidewalls vs the snow tires which are soft in tread and sidewall.
But the ***** on the Rally tires are soft rubber so when I drove it on the highway it was squirming left and right and felt unstable during lane changes. Ok going straight so if you drive to events using the Rallytires just be careful. I don't think they stop very well either.

Update on tires is- all snowtires and all rallytires get chewed up worse than the R compound tires do at autocross. The ground is full of rocks and the runs are longer at about 70 to 80 seconds. The treads are full of damage with just a few events. All season tires do OK.
Some drivers change wheels at the event to prevent wear from using the Rallytires on the street. I don't but might have to consider it to save tread life.

Last edited by minihune; 03-21-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 02-18-2011 | 07:32 AM
peter_s
1st Gear
Great thread!

I didn't really see the Mini as a car which would suit Rally-X with the limited suspension travel. But, apparently it's possible

Keep it up! Looks like tons of fun!

Old 02-19-2011 | 09:37 PM
minihune
|
Originally Posted by peter_s
Great thread!

I didn't really see the Mini as a car which would suit Rally-X with the limited suspension travel. But, apparently it's possible

Keep it up! Looks like tons of fun!
The new Countryman in 4 wheel drive is a natural for RallyX with high clearance, turbo power and 4 wheels for traction.

Doesn't mean the older MINI is not a contender but there are some things that work in it's favor:

Short wheelbase
Stock suspension is OK
FWD is still good
Turbo or Supercharger gives enough power
15" or 16" wheels give good selection of tires for both snow or Rally tires
Many of us already own a MINI

Old 02-20-2011 | 01:59 AM
minihune
|
Event 4 Feb 19

First time to use real Rally tires on the fronts and snow tires on the rears.

I was fine except for the mud which slowed me down bigtime and put a big damper on my afternoon after a great start in the morning. Just too much slipping and spinning and really lacked any sort of traction. Fell from 2nd overall to third and nearly to fourth for the day out of 22.

Overall raw times
1. Subaru WRX Prepared AWD 5:57.47
2. Subaru WRX Sti Prepared AWD 6:05.63
3. Mini cooper Modified FWD 6:10.45
4. Subaru Imprezza Modified AWD 6:12.43
5. VW Jetta Stock FWD 6:18.40

Again I was first in class (Modified FWD) and third overall.

Quick Reply: RallyX