General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

2012 Formula 1 discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 04:18 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mini2dmax
Let's hope they don't cancel the race. Ecclestone says they basically have no contract right now...
Austin might be canceled? I thought New Jersey was in doubt.

Where are you staying? We have reservations in Elgin.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:26 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mini2dmax
Let's hope they don't cancel the race. Ecclestone says they basically have no contract right now...
Bernie likes to talk shi*
It's best to just ignore him.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quite some time has passed and this thread has been quiet...

Lets see if we can jump start things a bit...

So Hamilton is moving on to Mercedes and Schumacher is currently left without a ride...

What Now For Schumacher?

posted on October 1, 2012 at http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/

The news that Michael Schumacher will not race for Mercedes next season unsurprisingly continues to dominate the sports news agenda in Germany, as the country’s media speculates on what the seven-time world champion may or may not do next.

It’s from the angle of Schumacher’s departure from the race seat, rather than Lewis Hamilton’s arrival, that the newspaper articles have naturally generally been pitched from with the consensus being that there is no escaping from the blunt fact that Schumacher was dropped by Mercedes, with the 43-year-old’s own indecisiveness over his future having ensured he is no longer the master of his F1 destiny.

Germany’s biggest circulation newspaper, Bild, has carried a string of reaction stories since Friday’s announcement and on Saturday ran an article entitled “Gambled and sacked. Mercedes drops Schumacher” which contained the opening line “what an undignified farewell for the greatest racer of all time”.

It goes on to suggest that the German legend “gambled heavily” by delaying a decision over his 2013 plans as “he imagined himself in a safe position” given it was only recently that Mercedes fancied its chances of luring Hamilton away from McLaren.

With Mercedes’ statement announcing Hamilton’s arrival having surprisingly contained no information on what the 43-year-old will do next, Bild has since offered hope to the German’s fans by suggesting that it is “50-50” whether he will retire again or carrying on racing elsewhere on the grid, with his spokeswoman Sabine Kehm quoted as saying that “anything is possible”.

While the offer of an advisory or ambassadorial role with Mercedes is said to be on the table, the tabloid suggests that switches to Sauber, Lotus or Ferrari could not yet be ruled out, making clear that the “racer’s fire still burns and “he is not about money”.
However, other newspapers are less enamoured about the prospect of Schumacher trying to extend his career still further. Under the headline, “Schumacher off the track – Brutal end of career”, Die Welt advises that “Schumacher should leave it at that” and instead consider a switch to team management.

Indeed the newspaper suggests that Schumacher’s clumsy accident in Singapore last weekend firmly led Mercedes to look at the future: “For three years, despite all the mistakes, Mercedes stood behind its star driver. But the disastrous weekend of Singapore has seen the mood swing round. Hamilton suddenly seemed attractive.”
Berlin’s Der Tagesspiegel goes further by painting the image of Schumacher as “a hitchhiker without a destination”, going on to say that “the most successful racing driver in history is like a hitchhiker who has been thrown out on the roadside”.

The newspaper thinks that the fact Schumacher hasn’t yet announced his future plans shows he is seriously considering trying to race on elsewhere.

It also agrees with Bild that events with Hamilton had simply overtaken Schumacher’s own timeframe: “He did not realise that his name was less significant in its own racing team. As he explained almost cheekily, he would decide no earlier than October, Mercedes had enough. They made contact with Lewis Hamilton and Schumacher suddenly was only a spectator in the race for his own future. At the end of the 91-time Grand Prix winner, was sacked with a press release so cold, as he had done earlier with his opponents.”

Odd to see Hamilton leave McLaren (competitive car) for the midfield runner that is the Mercedes equip!

So my friends, is that a good move for Hamilton or one that he will regret?

And what of Michael?

Wither goes the great Schumacher? Off to Sauber? Back to Ferrari? Maybe landing at Lotus? How about HRT... OR is he going to hang up his helmet?

Let's hear your thoughts on this!

Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Maybe it's time for Schumacher to fade away into obscure mediocrity...otherwise known as a NASCAR contract.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Anything except back to bike racing. That's suicide!

Actually, if he doesn't drive, I think he'd be a great asset as a team builder/car sorter-outer. I don't know what his educational level is, but he was always known as someone who could communicate drivers' problems and impressions with engineering staff.

NASCAR? I don't think so...!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:07 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by daffodildeb
Anything except back to bike racing. That's suicide!
Absolutely! The folks who ride those 'crotch rockets' appear to have little regard for their own life & limb! Here's hoping that Michael does not go down that road again...

...Actually, if he doesn't drive, I think he'd be a great asset as a team builder/car sorter-outer. I don't know what his educational level is, but he was always known as someone who could communicate drivers' problems and impressions with engineering staff.
I agree with your assessment and the experience Michael brings to the table is extensive, so this would seem like a logical path to take. Hope that the problems that struck other drivers (Fittipaldi and Prost come to mind) while forming their own teams can be sidestepped by Michael if he chooses to form his own team.

...NASCAR? I don't think so...!
I would rather see Schumacher driving for the lowest echelon F1 teams (Marussia, HRT, Caterham) than going around in circles always turning left! Deb, Schumi's got more smarts than JPM... cannot see NASCAR in Michael's future!

Old 10-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceTripper
Maybe it's time for Schumacher to fade away into obscure mediocrity...otherwise known as a NASCAR contract.
RaceTripper I hope that Michael does not even consider doing the roundy-round dance with the good ole boys of NASCAR! If he has to drive a 'tin-top' I would rather see him do DTM with brother Ralf or move into prototype sportscars (ALMS/Grand-Am or whatever they will call themselves now that they have combined).

Last edited by Sabre; 10-03-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:18 AM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
My NASCAR comment was completely tongue-in-cheek.

I would love to see him sign with Toyota to help develop their LMP1 car and give Audi some real competition, now that Peugeot has left.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:32 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
My NASCAR comment was completely tongue-in-cheek.
Trust me, we knew! Although it IS surprising some of the names associated with the left-turn crowd.

It will be interesting to see how Lewis works out. It might actually validate Michael's performance, if Hamilton can't bring it to the checkered flag any better than Schumacher did. Everyone called Michael "washed up," "too old," etc. If Hamilton can't do better, it has to be the car.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:02 PM
RaceTripper
6th Gear
Trust me, we knew! Although it IS surprising some of the names associated with the left-turn crowd.

It will be interesting to see how Lewis works out. It might actually validate Michael's performance, if Hamilton can't bring it to the checkered flag any better than Schumacher did. Everyone called Michael "washed up," "too old," etc. If Hamilton can't do better, it has to be the car.
I think Lewis will get more out of the car. Rosberg consistently out drove Schumi for a very long time. t will not surprise me if Lewis is faster and better than both Schumi and Rosberg right out the gate. But we'll see.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:16 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
My NASCAR comment was completely tongue-in-cheek...
We know mate... Saw your use of the emote ( ). Meant no offense by our reply!

^+1

...It will be interesting to see how Lewis works out. It might actually validate Michael's performance, if Hamilton can't bring it to the checkered flag any better than Schumacher did. Everyone called Michael "washed up," "too old," etc. If Hamilton can't do better, it has to be the car.
Very astute observation Deb and so true... It will be interesting to see how Hamilton does with the Mercedes. My own belief is that Schumi still has what it takes to win and his desire to win is still present, he just needs the right tool to accomplish the task and the Mercedes is not it.

I don't know how good a development driver Hamilton is but Schumacher does know his way around an F1 car's development (just ask Ross Brawn) and it has taken Michael & Mercedes 3 seasons to get the car atop the podium and showing some competitiveness. With chassis and aero development moving at warp speed among the F1 teams (today's tweak is passe the next day) Hamilton better be ready to deliver the goods cause Mercedes is not McLaren.

His (Hamilton's) performance will either vindicate or condemn him (Schumacher). I truly hope that Michael stays in F1 another season or two as I would like to see him go out a victor and not fodder for the media claiming that he is past his time...

Last edited by Sabre; 10-12-2012 at 06:54 AM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 10-04-2012, 08:23 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
I guess that all things must have an end...

Michael Schumacher Decides To Retire For Good

posted October 4, 2012 by James Allen

[Updated] Michael Schumacher has called time on his second coming in F1, the seven times world champion announced today that the Brazilian Grand Prix will be his 306th and last.
At 43 years 277 days, Schumacher is nearly twice the age he was when he made his F1 debut at the 1991 Belgian GP (22 years 235 days) and he holds the record for the longest period between his first and last GP starts.
Schumacher, 43, was forced into retirement for the second time by Mercedes’ decision to hire Lewis Hamilton, which followed a period of indecision from Schumacher about whether to sign on for another year. It follows his decision in 2006 to quit, which led to three years on the sidelines before his dramatic decision to come back with Mercedes in 2010.
“Although I am still able to compete with the best drivers, at some point it is good to say goodbye,” he said in Suzuka on Thursday.
“During the past month I was not sure if I still had the motivation and energy which is necessary to go on. It is not my style to go on if I’m not 100% with it but with today’s decision I feel relieved.
“In the end, it is not my ambition to just drive around but to fight for victories; and the pleasure of driving is nourished by competitiveness.
“I said at the end of 2009 that I want to be measured by my success, and this is why I had a lot of criticism in the past three years which partly was justified.
“It is without doubt that we did not achieve our goals to develop a world championship fighting car. But it is also very clear that I can still be very happy about my overall achievements in the whole time of my career."

The rest of the article can be found at:

http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/10/analysis-michael-schumacher-decides-to-retire-for-good/

Old 10-09-2012, 08:18 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Okay, does Grosjean have a place is F1 next year (or the remainder of this year)?

Discuss.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
<sung to the tune of the song (How do you solve a problem like Maria) in the Sound of Music> "How do you solve a problem like Grosjean?"

Seriously though deb, you pose a very interesting question and one that is being pondered in the F1 paddock.

I can see both sides of the argument against/in favor of Romain Grosjean.

Having many times experienced the start of a race, it can be quite chaotic as drivers shuffle for position in the hopes of passing rivals and then establishing a race order.

Sometimes it is just a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You should have gone left instead of right type of thing as closing speeds are off the hook between the midpack and the tail end of the field making for some spirited braking into the first turn as the concertina effect kicks in.

Yet if there is anything that a driver learns over time (or should learn) it is that 'To finish first, first you must finish' and/or 'you don't win a race in the first corner'!

I understand the need to improve your position (what racer doesn't) but at what cost? You garner nothing, no driver's points, no constructor's points and only draw the ire of the stewards, your fellow drivers and the animosity of the team principle and the mechanics if you bring the car back on the hook.

Grosjean seems to be suffering from GP2SS (aka. GP2 Start Syndrome) a habit he needs to undo lest he be cast off from the F1 fraternity. Those first turn antics/psuedo heroics are best left for the lesser formulae IMO.

I have no doubt that he will suffer the wrath of the FIA and recieve a ban of some sort. Now, as to wether he will be back next year... well that remains to be seen. There are those GP2 graduates that are hungry for their shot at F1 glory waiting in the wings and Lotus will be weighing its options on Gosjean as to wether or not he is worthy of a place on the F1 grid in 2013.

Grosjean's race performance for the remainder of the 2012 season will dictate his future. That and the ire or goodwill of his fellow drivers (see Mark Webber's comments below)...

Calls for Grosjean to Face Fresh Ban After Suzuka Incident

posted October 7, 2012 on http://www.jamesallenonf1.com

Mark Webber has led calls for Romain Grosjean to face another driving ban after he was taken out by the Frenchman at the start of the Japanese Grand Prix, the seventh such incident Grosjean has been involved in this season.

Grosjean received a one-race ban after causing a pile-up in Spa, but today’s incident shows that either he has not learned or he has some in-built problem when it comes to the instinctive phase of the racing driver’s art – the chaotic race starts.
Because race starts are an instinctive moment, many ex-drivers in the paddock argue that this is not something that can be trained into him.

Webber called Grosjean a “first lap nutcase” and added, “The rest of us are trying to fight for decent results. Maybe he needs another holiday. He needs to have a look at himself, how many times can you make the same error. It’s embarrassing at this level.”
Grosjean said, “After the ban I am very careful at the start. I kept my line trying to avoid any contact with Perez, who was on my left. I was focussing on that and I didn’t see the delta speed with Mark.

“Trying to avoid any contact was my main objective, but it didn’t work, it’s a stupid crash.”

FIA stewards at Suzuka handed him a ten second stop-go penalty during the race, but the GPDA will clearly want to look at this and discuss it together with FIA Race Director Charlie Whiting.

Last edited by Sabre; 10-14-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:38 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Agreed, Sabre (and Webber). My personal impression is that he's not ready for prime time. Possibly he'll finish out the year with either no more incidents or (more likely) sanctions against him, then start fresh next year with a chance to reflect over the off-season. More likely, he's worn out his welcome with the team, FIA, and the other drivers, and he won't be back next year.

He's 26. On the one hand, F1 drivers have to start young before natural aging saps their abilities. On the other hand, do you remember how you drove when you were 26? I do. Now that my youngest kid is older than that (and I see how HE drives, too), I cringe at my past go-fast attempts...

Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
...On the other hand, do you remember how you drove when you were 26?
Yes I do!

I don't know whether to pat myself on the back or knock myself in the head concerning my 'driving heroics' at that age...

Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Don't be too hard on yourself, Sabre. It's well established that children's brains are mush until the age of about 35 or so. Name:  duck.gif
Views: 22
Size:  1.9 KB

I'm in the good years right now (most of the time), before my brain returns to mush...

Old 10-12-2012, 01:49 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Uh, in case you hadn't heard:

http://news.yahoo.com/f1-speed-chann...160859690.html

This is NOT good news...

Old 10-12-2012, 02:15 PM
RussellW
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I sure hope NBC takes Bob Varsha, Steve Matchett and David Hobbs as well.

Russell

Old 10-12-2012, 02:39 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
Me too.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:43 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
my guess of nbcsports coverage of f1 ....

no coverage of practise
no coverage of qualifying
no prerace coverage
lap 1 .... cut to commercial

back at lap 10 .... cut to comercial

back at lap 20 .... cut to commercial

back at lap 30 ... breaking news .... cut to commercial

back at last lap .... cut to commercial

no post race coverage

le sigh

scott

Old 10-12-2012, 03:13 PM
daffodildeb
6th Gear
I wonder how this will contribute to the demise of the Texas track. As you've probably noted from my previous posts, I don't believe the track will be successful long term (I'll give it 3 years), at least in terms of F1. Which is sad for those of us who are Texas taxpayers, as there has been truly massive tax support (forget schools or streets).

How about the New Jersey race?

I ask because television is what introduces this strange furrin' racing style to Americans, who are far more familiar with left turners.

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i forgot to mention, this nbcsports coverage will not be real-time, it will be next day primetime coverage

it will be a ratings disaster and then there will be no f1 coverage at all in the usa

scott

Originally Posted by bmwr606
my guess of nbcsports coverage of f1 ....

no coverage of practise
no coverage of qualifying
no prerace coverage
lap 1 .... cut to commercial

back at lap 10 .... cut to comercial

back at lap 20 .... cut to commercial

back at lap 30 ... cut to breaking news (somebodies grandma made cookies) .... cut to commercial

back at last lap .... cut to commercial

no post race coverage

le sigh

scott

Old 10-12-2012, 06:43 PM
S-Driver
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Dear Lord,

Please don't let NBC screw this up. Take notice of how terrible FOX F1 coverage was and see to it that Varsha, Hobbs, and especially Machett are brought along to mainstream American television to save the state of F1 in this country. Amen...

Otherwise, on the advice of a friend and fellow F1 fanatic - I will start watching F1 on the SKYTV & BBC networks, downloaded thru the torrent client.

Old 10-14-2012, 10:26 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
OMG! This is catastrophic! No Hobbs, Matchett or Varsha!

F1 coverage handled by a bumbling network that is committed to 'stick & ball' sports and doesn't understand how even properly cover domestic motorsports!

F1 TV coverage is doomed in the USA, with next day coverage, and that being interrupted ceaselessly by commercials!!!

Please someone pass me the Tylenol, my head aches somethng fierce!

And if thats not enough to make you sick there is the line in the article that deb linked us to (http://news.yahoo.com/f1-speed-chann...160859690.html) that states, "The departure of F1 comes as Fox Sports moves closer to rebranding its motorsports network into a broad-based national sports network. Fox has not commented on the rebranded channel, expected to be called Fox Sports 1, but it is expected to be heavily utilized in the eight-year television contract announced earlier this month with Major League Baseball."

Well then you can kiss SPEED Channel and its motorsports coverage goodbye as the stick & ball set take over the sports airwaves!

When does the hurting stop?

This news really grinds my gears!

Quick Reply: 2012 Formula 1 discussion