General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

transporting all your racing gear to the track

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 12:26 PM
cntryislandboy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transporting all your racing gear to the track

Haven't been to the track yet. but i've done some reading and it dedicated tires are a popular thing it seems, with that comes tools. So I'm curious how everyone transports there gear to the track. This is mostly for the daily driver guys. I did a google image search of mini's towing trailers and it seems that this would be a good route to go. I plan on purchasing a small trailer and making it a track/family vacation trailer. So if anyone has a set up like this please share and would love to see images if you got them. Thanks in advance.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:28 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What all needs to come to the track with you? 4 tires, shade tent, cordless impact, and floor jack?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:41 PM
cntryislandboy
1st Gear
yeah that sounds about right, but unless your going alone, there is really isn't room in the car for anything else. I know my wife and daughter would like to come and hang out at the track and watch daddy race around, lol

Old 06-22-2012, 01:23 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We get it all in the boot. We don't take the wheels, they're swapped before we leave home. If we did take them, they'd take over the back seat. No shade tent either, or floor jack. Though I'm considering taking the jack for the next one in case we need to change brake pads, that'd probably live behind the passenger seat.

We just take an overnight bag, 2 helmets, one folding chair, tarp, torque wrench and minimal tools.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:23 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autocross support vehicle: Honda Element.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
We get it all in the boot. We don't take the wheels, they're swapped before we leave home. If we did take them, they'd take over the back seat. No shade tent either, or floor jack. Though I'm considering taking the jack for the next one in case we need to change brake pads, that'd probably live behind the passenger seat.

We just take an overnight bag, 2 helmets, one folding chair, tarp, torque wrench and minimal tools.
Ahh didn't think about passengers or an overnight situation. I know 6 mounted tires and wheels fits with both seats open in the front and a bit of room to spare...

Old 06-28-2012, 10:40 AM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
I shopping for a similar setup for my Coupe right now after seeing several Mini's pulling small trailers at our local AutoX. The two recommendations I've got for hitches are OutMotoring.com and MiniDoMore.com. As for trailers the drivers I talked to did custom jobs with 10" wheels from local farm supply stores. $300 for the hitch, $300 for a simple open trailer with room for 6 wheels and a truck bed tool box. One guy had a small closed trailer and it set him back about $900 he said. I think I have some pics back home. Will try to post later. Temp solution: Do Google Image search on 'mini autocross trailer' and the first few results are the rigs I've seen.

Now what I wish I could do is the RV+Trailer like one local husband and wife team. Not a bad way to spend retirement.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:43 AM
cntryislandboy
1st Gear
taz, i know the ones your speaking of, i did do a search before i posted this thread and found what i thought to be a cool trailer set up, using a harbor freight trailer and they made a wheel rack in the front with 4 wheels then a large industrial plastic box(similiar to the square truck bed back) and that was it, looked pretty slick