General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

Border Challenge - Check It Out

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 01:13 AM
NearlyNN
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Border Challenge - Check It Out

Leave it to me to invite competition, but the more Minis the better. In fact, they'll even make a class for us if there are 3 or more. In the meantime, check out:
www.borderchallenge.com American affiliated site for this Mexican organized event. Can find Mexican site by clicking on "links" then the top link.

Chacho Medina and his people are the same group that runs the famous La Carrera Panamericana. Unlike that race, new cars can race in this one.

I'm doing it instead of One Lap this year. Seems too cool to pass up. Kind of a combination One Lap, Open Road Racing and track racing. Starts in South Padre Island, Texas and ends up in Ensinada, Mexico. Basically, within 50 miles of the border the whole way.

2,500 miles with 690 miles of "go as fast as you can" paved roads. Includes up and back into the famous Copper Canyon in Mexico. Goes to Tucson Raceway Park (3/8 mile banked paved oval). I don't know how many laps. Not yet posted, but to be included is a track in Monterrey, Mexico and the Continental Tire testing facility in Uvalde, Texas, instead og the Big Bend Road Race.

As the classes are shown right now, the Mini would go in the 1.6L and under class which is fairly stock. They do that because there are a lot of cars with these smaller engines that race in Mexico with few modification. However, I recently talked with the U.S. organizer Gerie Bledsoe and he has received approval from Chacho to set up two modified classes -- under and over 2.0L. Basically all mods okay in these classes as is also the case with the over 4.0L special class. Roll cages are required, as are 5-point belts.

Anyway, there are two classes that fit Minis, according to your level of mods. This is one helluva exciting looking event. If nothing else, I've been really wanting to go to the Copper Canyon. Have missed it during my three previous drivng trips to Mexico.

Oh here's a cool, "by the way" -- one of the sponsors of the event is the Mexican Highway Patrol. Gotta love that.

If you have any questions, contact Gerie he is very helpful. Or PM me and I'll try to help.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:15 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Norm,

Good luck and BE CAREFUL ....I read a recent travel advisory for the border towns

Drug wars, violence near the borders have been on the rise

www.travel.state.gov/travel

Look under: Public Announcements

Old 02-15-2005, 11:18 AM
NearlyNN
2nd Gear
Agreed, saw that too. However, one of the main sponsors is the Mexican Highway Patrol. The top uniformed cop in the country, Commandante Julio Tovar will be personally involved in the event. His guys will be running sweep for us.

All things considered, that sounds pretty safe to me.
Originally Posted by red rage
Norm,

Good luck and BE CAREFUL ....I read a recent travel advisory for the border towns

Drug wars, violence near the borders have been on the rise

Old 02-15-2005, 11:23 AM
red rage
4th Gear
Just looking out for you, Amigo

Vios Con Dios !!!!!!!