General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sparkling Silver Owners Club

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 01:23 AM
Avril
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yah I hope that mine looks good now, oh I'm really worried! I go through phases of wondering if I should change the colour or not but I have seen amazing looking ones and then there's the odd one or two that have looked yucky!

I remember when I was ringing around various MINI dealerships, they said that sparkling silver never stays long in the showroom because it always is snapped up by a buyer immediately as opposed to other colours. Also I went to a dealer and they had 5 MINIs, three of which were sparkling silver and they looked fab so I really hope mine looks just as fab!!

Oh it's so stressful!

Old 05-13-2008, 03:07 AM
Avril
1st Gear
Hmm my post was there earlier but it seems to have disappeared now! gemgirlpa - yep you're right, I don't like the SS dirty either, it just looks weird! When I went to the dealership they had three SSs and two or three other colours and the SS Coopers looked sooo much nicer, the colour was just amazing. I hope when mine comes I love it too

Old 05-13-2008, 07:18 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Sparkling Silver is an odd color. It changes based on how dirty it is, what the sky is like, artificial lighting, etc. I hated it on the configurator and didn't know how anyone would ever think it was a good color. But I don't regret ordering my SS one bit, and love everything about my baby. Fear not, SS orderers!!! Once you get your shiny new baby, you will love it too.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Avril
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Sparkling Silver is an odd color. It changes based on how dirty it is, what the sky is like, artificial lighting, etc. I hated it on the configurator and didn't know how anyone would ever think it was a good color. But I don't regret ordering my SS one bit, and love everything about my baby. Fear not, SS orderers!!! Once you get your shiny new baby, you will love it too.
Hi minicooperwill, yes I saw a very very dirty SS a few days after ordering mine and it looked like some sort of weird green shade, I was horrified!!! I was freaking out then thinking that I'd made the wrong decision. I've since seen clean ones and they look much better but you're right, the colour totally changes!

Does yours change colour a lot for the worse? Or do you need to wash it regularly to keep it sparkling so to speak! We really need an "I've just ordered an SS & am paranoid about the colour" support group!!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
MINImalistnam
3rd Gear
Ordered new Sparkling Silver MCS last night

Believe it or not, this is the first time I did not have buyer's remorse !
Got beige interior, EnglOak, and a few other options...

Old 05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINImalistnam
congrats! and welcome!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 12:19 PM
Jhorwitz
1st Gear
finally got the car back from the garage and here are the pics.....

Last edited by Jhorwitz; 06-10-2008 at 03:12 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jhorwitz
finally got the car back from the garage and here are the pics.....

Beautiful! Where did you get the roof stripes? How close a match are they to the sparkling silver paint?

Old 05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
minitao
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Avril
Hi minicooperwill, yes I saw a very very dirty SS a few days after ordering mine and it looked like some sort of weird green shade, I was horrified!!! I was freaking out then thinking that I'd made the wrong decision. I've since seen clean ones and they look much better but you're right, the colour totally changes!

Does yours change colour a lot for the worse? Or do you need to wash it regularly to keep it sparkling so to speak! We really need an "I've just ordered an SS & am paranoid about the colour" support group!!
More reasons to keep the SS mini clean.,
I've just ordered a SS/W cooper s. It's on its way to NY port. Can't wait!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
flaco
4th Gear
I know it's a matter of taste, but you have to wonder when so many struggle to justify their choice. I had a SS R56 and got rid of it after a few months. Just too depressing. Beige is beige.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:59 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by minitao
More reasons to keep the SS mini clean.,
I've just ordered a SS/W cooper s. It's on its way to NY port. Can't wait!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:33 PM
T8rChick
3rd Gear
You'll love him or her... dirty or clean!!! We've had Daphne for 4 months now and if she's dirty she just gets another bath.

Last edited by T8rChick; 05-13-2008 at 06:33 PM. Reason: ... spelling... rats
Old 05-13-2008, 07:48 PM
gotmoxie
2nd Gear
Nugget & Daphne are great names.

While I'm waiting for the perfect name to occur to me, I've fallen into the unfortunate habit of calling mine "Mr. Sparkle" (from the Simpsons episode).

I'm a "Week 22" - although this is better than the original estimate our dealer gave us; it's too far away for me (My Clubbie should be in my driveway ~the third week of June)!

It's interesting to me that many of you have mentioned that you did not like the appearance of the SS color when it's dirty and/or cloudy - I selected the color specifically because when I saw it at the dealership, all of the MINIS in the lot had more or less the same amount of dust & spots, and that showed less on the SS than any of the other colors IMO. Granted, this was not serious dirt on any of these cars. I love the way the color changes to reflect surroundings and light/weather conditions - it makes it kind of seem like the X-Men character "Mystique".

BTW:
Avril, if you ever have occasion to be on Grafton Street near where the Molly Malone statue is & see a lovely red-haired woman playing the Celtic Harp, that's my dear friend, Brenda; tell her Ellen says "hi"!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:55 PM
LinkedUp
2nd Gear
Chomping at the bit.

How's everyone been?

Well, my SS Clubman is on the boat and should be about halfway here by now. I'm getting pretty excited.

I've already gotten the JCW blackout grille, and some new 16-in tires. Now I just have to decide on wheels: I've got it narrowed down to like 5 or 6 styles. I want everything to be ready and waiting for him when he arrives.

Now I gotta get on the ball and sell my Mazda . . .

Jhorwitz, your car looks great! As ()()== asked, are the roof stripes a match to the SS?

Steven

Old 05-13-2008, 07:57 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gotmoxie

While I'm waiting for the perfect name to occur to me, I've fallen into the unfortunate habit of calling mine "Mr. Sparkle" (from the Simpsons episode).

I'm a "Week 22" - although this is better than the original estimate our dealer gave us; it's too far away for me (My Clubbie should be in my driveway ~the third week of June)!

It's interesting to me that many of you have mentioned that you did not like the appearance of the SS color when it's dirty and/or cloudy - I selected the color specifically because when I saw it at the dealership, all of the MINIS in the lot had more or less the same amount of dust & spots, and that showed less on the SS than any of the other colors IMO. Granted, this was not serious dirt on any of these cars. I love the way the color changes to reflect surroundings and light/weather conditions - it makes it kind of seem like the X-Men character "Mystique".

BTW:
Avril, if you ever have occasion to be on Grafton Street near where the Molly Malone statue is & see a lovely red-haired woman playing the Celtic Harp, that's my dear friend, Brenda; tell her Ellen says "hi"!

I do like the sparkling color! But seems to me you might have found your MINI name in you message... "Mystique"??!!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:59 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gotmoxie

BTW:

I love my SS color, very pretty champange color in my eyes.

Reading you post- seems to me you might have just found your name without knowing it... "Mystique". that matches the color on cloudy days!?!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:01 PM
gemgirlpa
6th Gear
sorry for the duplicate - i hit the button to quickly!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:41 PM
gotmoxie
2nd Gear
Maybe you're right about the name - I hadn't even thought of that connection before my post!

Jhorwitz' MINI looks ready to race! Beautiful!

I can't believe how different each one of these MINIS look once they are properly "dressed" with their owners' individuality. LinkedUp, did you see the wheels on VintageMac's Wanda? If I had the blackout grille, I'd be checking those out.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:27 PM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by MINImalistnam
I have the same scheme (see my gallery). The SS doesn't show dirt any more than the other colors, and shows dust less. I have to drive on about 200 yards of smooth unpaved road to get home, which ticks me off because I keep the car clean. The dust doesn't really make the paint look different (as it does the windows and black top). I use a Cali duster daily. What makes the paint cool are the metallic flakes. They look a little different in different lighting (just look at my sig). A lot of people comment on that. I liked the color because it was new for the R56 model year, and I like beige tones anyway. Most of the Minis I saw at the AMVIV were one of the blues, or red, or PW. They must have made these colors from the start. There were just a handful of SS cars there (and there were hundreds). I rarely saw my flamespoke wheels either. Webspokes everywhere. So consider ourselves in the minority, and happy to be there!

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 05-13-2008 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Jhorwitz
1st Gear
hi everyone, the stripes are from mini pirate in the UK, they are a pretty good match but not perfect, they are not metallic and are slightly more beige than the paintwork, but the colour match looks vastly better now that the arches are sprayed for some strange reason.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:17 AM
mntcooper
1st Gear
My Clubman is hopefully on it way from NEAT to the Dealer today, so I can pick up this weekend. I am glad others had the same concerns about the color as I have been having. But it sound like I did make the right choice.

Old 05-14-2008, 02:50 PM
()()==
2nd Gear
I chose SS because it looks nice and also doesn't scream GIVE ME A TICKET! But truly, I haven't seen a MINI color that I didn't like. I think the car would look nice any color. I remind myself of this when I feel SS angst. I pick mine up next week and I'm sure I'll love it.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:25 PM
MINImalistnam
3rd Gear
SS final color choice aftergoing full circle

Yes, I went full circle after starting with SS ! In the 8 builds I did on MINIusa.com, went from SS to Pepper to Dark Grey/white top back to SS. One above is correct, though, ANY color is grrrreat in a MINI !

Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Avril
1st Gear
I found out today that my MINI has been built and it's waiting to be put on a ship and sent to Ireland! I hope my lovely Cooper doesn't get seasick

Old 05-15-2008, 07:38 PM
FlynG
1st Gear
Hello All,

I just ordered today! MC SS/B with bonnet, manual, sport.

It's going to be a long summer waiting for it to get here.

Flyn G

Quick Reply: Sparkling Silver Owners Club