General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav unit, funniest things you've heard it say?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007 | 03:06 PM
TWON
|
4th Gear
Nav unit, funniest things you've heard it say?

So, I just picked up my MINI after the excruciating waiting period. I've never had navigation before. So on the way home, I get myself conveniently lost, then proceed to tell the unit where I want to go. I'm driving and trying to figure this out (I know, not smart) and trying to get it to tell me a specific route home (the twisties!!!!). Freeways, no Freeways, long routes, short route? In the process it keeps updating the route, telling me to get off the the road I'm on and get back on the freeway with every option . Then, out of nowhere, I hear the funniest thing, this nice sweet ladies voice says, "If possible, make an ILLEGAL U turn" . I couldn't believe what I just heard! I can't wait until the next time I'm pulled over... "but officer, my car told me to do it!'

What other funny things have you heard a Nav say, do share?

Old 06-13-2007 | 03:33 PM
JT MINI
2nd Gear
I never heard NAV lady say that yet, but I haven't made an illegal u-turn either.

My friend has a "modified" NAV software - so to speak. I think software is availabe on eBay now. Anyway, you go the opposite direction, the NAV lady will say, "you're an Id@it, make a U-turn at next street" another I remember, "you are a LOSER!!"

It was pretty funny. I did not know his NAV software was modified at first. So I told my friend (from impulse), "Are you going to let her talk to you like that!!!" It was one of the funniest ride of my life.

Old 06-13-2007 | 04:11 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
"Take the Motorway!"

yes, I live in the states...............

Old 06-13-2007 | 04:18 PM
MINInurse
Nationally Known Nurse
Originally Posted by JT MINI
I never heard NAV lady say that yet, but I haven't made an illegal u-turn either.

My friend has a "modified" NAV software - so to speak. I think software is availabe on eBay now. Anyway, you go the opposite direction, the NAV lady will say, "you're an Id@it, make a U-turn at next street" another I remember, "you are a LOSER!!"

It was pretty funny. I did not know his NAV software was modified at first. So I told my friend (from impulse), "Are you going to let her talk to you like that!!!" It was one of the funniest ride of my life.
I want that! Oh please tell me how to find that one!

Old 06-13-2007 | 08:07 PM
pandy
2nd Gear
It sounds like i should get a NAV in my order (should be ordering soon!) I just noticed from the catalog that with Nav, some buttons or i should say settings are missing..the Fan options don't have face + body, but just face, body, feet.. It's like they ran out of room for extra buttons. Do you know what i'm talking about? If so, isn't that weird? Maybe cause i use the AC a lot when it's hot in So. Cal, and i usually like the fan blowing at my face and body.

Old 06-14-2007 | 08:11 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
I miss my British female voice that originally came with the car. So stern and to the point, I almost expected her to say "You are the weakest link! Goodbye!" if I miss a turn.

I lost the Ann Richards voice when the system was repaired under warranty. At least I have a British male voice.

Old 06-14-2007 | 08:33 AM
MBR
2nd Gear
While I don't have the factory NAVI unit, I have a Tomtom which I'm able to download voices. I use Sean Connery or Ozzy... Ozzy mumbles and says "you've reached your ****ing destination". Oh and yes, they both tell me to use the motorway... I think tomtom might be made in the UK?

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:11 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
I need to download some things for my Nuvi...so far the only funny thing it does is mispronounces EVERYthing.

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:12 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Greatbear
I miss my British female voice that originally came with the car. So stern and to the point, I almost expected her to say "You are the weakest link! Goodbye!" if I miss a turn.

I lost the Ann Richards voice when the system was repaired under warranty. At least I have a British male voice.

If the male voice was John Cleese's, and it was his nomally smart-a$$ attitude from Monty Python - say, from the Department of Abuse - that would be hilarious. Of course, it could get old...

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:19 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by 70spop
If the male voice was John Cleese's, and it was his nomally smart-a$$ attitude from Monty Python - say, from the Department of Abuse - that would be hilarious. Of course, it could get old...
As long as you don't accidentally chose "Running your car into a wall lessons"

I always smile when my Brit lady says, "Take the second turning on the right"
turning? And of course, I enjoy "entering the motorway".

Old 06-14-2007 | 10:21 AM
70spop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
As long as you don't accidentally chose "Running your car into a wall lessons"

But then you'd get the chance to practice your Silly Walk.

Old 06-14-2007 | 11:29 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by TWON
Then, out of nowhere, I hear the funniest thing, this nice sweet ladies voice says, "If possible, make an ILLEGAL U turn" . I couldn't believe what I just heard! I can't wait until the next time I'm pulled over... "but officer, my car told me to do it!'
Are you sure it said illegal? I've heard the exact same statement from my factory Nav many times, and it says:

"If possible, make a legal U-turn"

But since it is a pre-recorded and chopped-together voice, I can totally hear why some people might think it says illegal...

Old 06-14-2007 | 11:57 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Edge
...But since it is a pre-recorded and chopped-together voice, I can totally hear why some people might think it says illegal...
He was projecting. But officer, the voices told me to...

Old 06-14-2007 | 02:15 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
I've had my Nuvi translate "FM" in a road name (as in "farm-to-market road") as "Federated States of Micronesia".

It's also converted the "M" in "Charles M. Langford Freeway" as a Roman numeral, so it came out "Charles One Thousand Langford Freeway".

Old 06-14-2007 | 02:41 PM
TWON
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
Are you sure it said illegal?
LMAO!!! your probably right! That option just didn't even come to mind... guess I just hear it the way I wanted to... oh well, I like it anyhow Although not near as funny now

Originally Posted by pandy
It sounds like i should get a NAV in my order (should be ordering soon!) I just noticed from the catalog that with Nav, some buttons or i should say settings are missing..the Fan options don't have face + body, but just face, body, feet.. It's like they ran out of room for extra buttons. Do you know what i'm talking about? If so, isn't that weird? Maybe cause i use the AC a lot when it's hot in So. Cal, and i usually like the fan blowing at my face and body.
Pandy, I know what you mean, however each of those three buttons you see works independently and don't cancel the other out, so you can turn one on, all three on, or any combo you'd like of just two of them.

Old 06-16-2007 | 01:15 PM
dix
6th Gear
The navigation systems are terrific, for the straight and true pathways. But I love to go the road less traveled. My husband and I laughed all the time about Mildred's voice as she unemotionally states that you need to turn NOW! As if I cared about turning now!! I'm too buzy driving the "senic" route.

Old 06-16-2007 | 01:17 PM
trackster
5th Gear
I have always thought that it would be interesting to have a " adult " version available for consenting adults. Imagine if your nav could speak to you like you REALLY deserve