General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mechanical Inclinations

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007 | 09:11 PM
cadfael_tex
|
5th Gear
Mechanical Inclinations

Under the category of I wish I had...

My parents were great mechanics. They restored several old sports cars, MG's, Triumphs, a Corvette, Minis, and even a 66 Mustang that was my first car. I helped them some but prefered computers and TV instead (at the time at least). Now they are both gone and I'm getting the bug. I wished I had learned more from them. I've tried to do a little fixes now and then but always felt in over my head.

Here's the question: How do I start to learn at this point in my life?

Old 06-20-2007 | 09:26 PM
tsprayfhs
3rd Gear
Read. Read everything you can get a hold of. Book, manuals,etc. are the best. Spend a few hundred dollars on good tools. Minimum would be 3/8 in socket set, combination open/closed end wrenches, a set of philips, straight blade, and torx drivers. After that buy as you need them, but alway buy the best you can afford. You will find that cheap tools are the most expensive. you will understand later. If you are already comfortale with compurters the the electrical will come easily. Find a friend that can and will help, help not do, as needed. Now start working, but get the books and read first. It is alot easier than many think, if you can overcome the fear of messing up.

If I can be of further help pm me.

Motor on

Old 06-20-2007 | 09:32 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
Come tow the 87 honda and 83 toyota out of my yard!

My middle son started by collecting the little bits of cars which fall off in the street. I have all kinds of odd bits of metal as a result.

I started by living in Southern California and having no money. To get money I needed a job, to get a job I needed to keep my car working. Fortunately I had the "Idiot's Guide" and a VW. The more mistakes you make the more practice you get.

Seriously, get a project car which other folks are also caring about. It makes a huge difference to have a car that someone is producing parts for. Don't do a Buick Opel. Classic Mini's are fine. I'd do a TR-6 if I wanted to torture myself because an ex-boyfriend (schizophrenic, drug addict) once gave one to my wife. She really liked the car but refused it because she had enough judgement not to accept a car from a schizophrenic drug addiict. If you have that kind of judgement, don't bother working on old cars.

If however, you love the experience of washing and waxing your car, then you will probably be able to enjoy the process of tediously getting past one obstacle after another. Then get an old car.

The rational alternative to restoring cars is modding cars. In this case you have a car which runs and then, when you are done, still runs. Although this sounds a little like Sysiphus, it is much less futile than taking a car which doesn't run, then, when you're done, still doesn't run. There are many modders on this forum who will be revealing themselves shortly. I'll run and hide and I'll be able to do that because, essentially, my car is stock and starts!

Old 06-20-2007 | 09:37 PM
cadfael_tex
|
5th Gear
Thanks for the quick responses. Probably won't being doing any modding because I'm squeamish about warranty issues and had it ingrained from an early age that an original car is always best (ie numbers match Vette etc). Thought about getting an old Saab (had an old 9000 that was a blast believe it or not) if my next move takes me somewhere with real winters.

Old 06-21-2007 | 08:18 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Help others with more experience.
I found that most people who have large repairs to do will be happy to have an extra set of hands to help. This way you can watch and learn, maybe even do some of the work depending on who you are working with. I still go to MINI meets just to work on other peoples cars. It helps me learn even though I consider myself a good mechanic (CPA by day).

Just because you are not 16 does not mean you can't follow the same path. Start by helping others and asking questions.

Old 06-21-2007 | 12:44 PM
jabell2r
Coordinator :: M2C2
You may also want to check your local community college. A basic automotive course may help take away that over the head feeling.

Old 06-21-2007 | 12:49 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Like anything else - start small. Mods don't affect your warranty or resale IF they're reversible (exhausts, most bolt-ons, some suspension work).

A great way to learn is to join your local Mini club - ours has "Garage Days" where you can work on your car with other enthusiasts present to catch you if you screw up (or to prevent it in the first place!)

Read, try some easier stuff (rotate tires, change oil, install a trailer hitch, exhaust) then move on.

If you want to "do" a car, listen to the post above - find something with aftermarket support, that's inexpensive enough not to break your bank. For imports, check watercooled VWs - excellent support, cheap and plentiful parts, reasonably sturdy and fun to drive. Stick with the 8v motor though, the 16v's can be tempermental (but they're fun!). Of course a bunch of American iron comes to mind.

Also, don't skimp in the acquuisition phase - find something that allows you to work on what you want, and skip what you don't - if you're not a bodyman, don't buy a car that needs bodywork!

Also, "mostly done" cars will save you money - most anyone who seriously mods a car will lose money on selling it (with mods) in the long run - make that work FOR you.

You're neveer too old, but you DO want to look at it realistically.

Old 06-21-2007 | 12:53 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
A lot of good suggestions here.

Get the best auto repair manuals for your car you can find. Bentley Press is the best in my opinion. Read them.

Get a Sears tool catalog, and start making a wish list.

Hit the local community college for auto repair courses. Some have good classes in just about all aspects of auto repair.

Talk extenstively with those who have been there, done that. Learn from them. If a local club has any kind of tech sessions, attend them.

Explore the car you want to work on. With manual in hand, pop the hood, identify things, get under the chassis and look around. Familiarize yourself with the car you're going to work on.

Old 06-21-2007 | 12:58 PM
MDK
6th Gear
Second the community college suggestion. I took a basic auto course during the summer after my senior year in high school-I was the youngest guy in the class- several people had taken this course several times just to use the garage, lift, etc. I was able to learn a lot by working with them on their projects- other than that practice makes perfect.

For tools- check out sears- they usually have the Craftsman tool sets on sale arounf Fathers Day so they might still be on sale. I got a good size "mechanics" set about 8 years ago and have not been to break one yet. It has like 174 tools and required a hand truck to get to the car-that was a proud moment! I know have a three level rolling tool chest (argh!) and am contenplating getting a lift for the garage ( I think I have the room as I have a tall ceiling). My wife has other ideas.

Last edited by MDK; 06-21-2007 at 01:02 PM.