General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil A
Thanks for all the great replies and advice. After reading the first few replies I was sold. Then I read the warning from Dave 07 (link from pastabatmans post)... Since I live in AZ I have to wonder if the hot sun will break down the bra at a faster rate. Anybody ever use a black vinyl bra on their Mini's? Have pics? I really want to protect him from stones and such but not if it's going to ruin his paint. ....
We have weeks of 100 + temps here in Tracy, last year it was like 5 weeks of nothing below 100 and a week of 110 - 116 temps. The 2006 350z I just traded off had the clear bra 3M brand and the Z was parked at work in the sun all day and in 18 months it showed no discoloration or any type of damage to the paint. I removed it when selling the Z and after a washing one could not tell the bra had ever been applied. I think it depends on what brand name you go with and also the quality of the install.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I would also add that during that pebble storm, the chip occurred far up on the bonnet, well above where the clear-bra would have been. To me, paying $800+ when, in fact, you can still get chips through the clear bra and most of the car is still exposed, ain't worth it. But, I can see the other side of the argument. But, I got better things to spend the $ on.
You keep saying you can get chips THROUGH the clearbra. Who has this happened to ? What kind of film did they have installed ?

The 3M film used on my car comes with a lifetime guarantee. You get damage to the paint under the bra, they'll pay for the body shop work to fix it.

The pro that installed mine said he has been installing clearbra film for 6 years and has yet had a claim.

If you choose not to get the clearbra, that's fine. But why are you so intent on bad-mouthing it without ever having had it yourself ?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:12 PM
Kasey
2nd Gear
Small warning on this. The mirror backs are a very odd shape. The installer could not get the bra material to stretch in a way so it fit to my satisfaction, so I had them removed from the mirrors.

I suppose someone who is really good with putting it onto highly curved shapes might do better.

I read here on NAM some installers won't even try the mirrors.

Originally Posted by aem421
I getting it put on my MCS. It'll be the first time. I'm tired of touching up rock chips on the hood, bumper, and mirrors. It never looks the same, and with metallic paint, no way. If you can afford it, do it. If not, let it go and get some touch up paint.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
You keep saying you can get chips THROUGH the clearbra. Who has this happened to ? What kind of film did they have installed ?

The 3M film used on my car comes with a lifetime guarantee. You get damage to the paint under the bra, they'll pay for the body shop work to fix it.

The pro that installed mine said he has been installing clearbra film for 6 years and has yet had a claim.

If you choose not to get the clearbra, that's fine. But why are you so intent on bad-mouthing it without ever having had it yourself ?
I am not "bad mouthing" it; I am saying why I decided not to get it. If you search NAM, you will find several posts where people who had it got chips under it. I am not knocking anyone for getting it. It's simply a matter of opinion if it is worth it or not.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:24 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Well, Lynn... you seem to be trying awfully hard to talk the thread author out of getting it. Maybe you'll fix the chips in his bonnet and grills.

If so many others have had chips through their clearbra, let's wait for some of them to chime in here about that.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Well, Lynn... you seem to be trying awfully hard to talk the thread author out of getting it. Maybe you'll fix the chips in his bonnet and grills.

If so many others have had chips through their clearbra, let's wait for some of them to chime in here about that.
I don't see why you are being so hostile. The OP asked for opinions, not just yours. Even forgetting the chip under the bra thing, the fact is, where I got my chip would not have been where the bra is normally installed. Just another point to consider.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:33 PM
ikshar
3rd Gear
i for one, am also in limbo as to whether or not to Bra....i have found many useful forums regarding it here, and the reason i read these forums is to hear both the for and against of the bra...from consumers, not sellers

Old 08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Hostile ? Maybe you didn't see the winky-dinky !!

Sure, you can get chips where there's no coverages. But would you rather have two chips in the course of 5 years, or 20 chips ? Because those are about the odds of them happening where there's no coverage.

Okay, Lynn... we've beaten this to death and beyond. You think it's a waste of money. That's fine. Got it.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:53 PM
pastabatman
4th Gear
But would you rather have two chips in the course of 5 years, or 20 chips ? Because those are about the odds of them happening where there's no coverage.
20 chips? Wow. Gravel roads? I've been driving my red S4 for four years w/o a clearbra, and have only one significant chip, only visible to me (lol) at three feet away.

Here's another thought: I wonder if you're far enough away to miss a clear bra, maybe your far enough away to miss the chips you would get without it? The only time I find myself really missing the clear bra is when I'm detailing my hood, eyes one foot away.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:57 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Pastaguy, I'd say you're very fortunate if you only have one chip. Or maybe you're not counting the tiny ones because your not as OCD as I am.

And if we aren't worried about chips that you can't see from far away, then you're right, you don't need a clearbra. Some of us don't like even tiny chips that you have to be two feet away from in order to see.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:02 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I think getting a chip through the clear bra is extremely rare, particularly when compared with the number of chips acquired without one.

I agree that $800 is high. I paid that, but wanted the security of a lifetime guarantee - if it chips through, they repair the chip and remove and reapply the film. If ANYTHING happens - edges lift, film yellows, I decide I don't like how a piece is aligned, whatever...they fix it at no charge.

If all you want is the clear bra itself, installed, I would say you can get it done for half that.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:07 PM
paceysgl5
2nd Gear
I may or may not change my mind in the near future (my first Mini arrives next week). However, like I said, I have never had a chipping problem with cars. Maybe I'm wrong here: Mini cars have a worse track record with chips than most other cars?

Oh well, I suppose when (if) I get my first chip on the paint then I can decide from there.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
And I am someone who got a chip through the clear bra. The way it looked through the bra (a very very tiny chip) I can only imagine how big it would have been without it. My installation place removed the hood section of bra (the chip was just above the passenger side corner of the upper grille), touched up the chip, and installed new film.

Our roads here in northern CA are terrible. Pretty much daily I get a "CHING" off the front end that makes me cringe. So all that said, yes I had a chip through the film, and YES I still highly recommend it. If you are even remotely OCD about how your car looks, you will be unhappy with the way touch-ups look, especially with metallic paint. It is virtually impossible to get the metallic flake to "lay right" to match the existing paint.

But, whatever. If it's a money thing, I get it. I'd still recommend saving up and getting it when you can. The MINI is not a particularly aerodynamic vehicle and seems to pick up chips far more easily/quickly than your average car.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:06 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I would also add that during that pebble storm, the chip occurred far up on the bonnet, well above where the clear-bra would have been.
Do you mean so far up it struck the windscreen? My clear bra covers the entire bonnet, not just a portion.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:13 PM
Kasey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sowellman
Do you mean so far up it struck the windscreen? My clear bra covers the entire bonnet, not just a portion.
That is interesting. Mine only reaches just above the headlights.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Kasey
That is interesting. Mine only reaches just above the headlights.
I had a choice of the entire bonnet or going about 10 inches up. That's using the Venture Shield product.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:08 PM
dmeadow
2nd Gear
Full Monty?

What about just having the lower section installed that covers the bumper up to the bonnet line? Would that catch 75% of potential chips, for example? Just doing that part would reduce the cost.

Why would anyone cover the mirrors? They are molded plastic and are easily replaced, if necessary. As a matter of fact, I now have a spare set of whites after a DIY replacement with checkered.

Old 08-16-2007, 04:48 PM
moclimbin
2nd Gear

Where did you get yours installed?

Old 08-16-2007, 04:55 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by moclimbin
Where did you get yours installed?
Verrrrrrrrrrry close to where you live, mo.

Proform in Ellicott City.

If you have a problem finding them online or in the <<gasp>> PHONE book, then let me know and I'll look up their phone number for you, if you're interested.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:08 PM
Lil A
3rd Gear
Ok Ok I'm definitely getting the Clear Bra. It appears I need to make sure it's a 3M product. Is there a particular brand name I should look for? Thanks for ALL the replies, positive and negative.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Sowellman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lil A
Ok Ok I'm definitely getting the Clear Bra. It appears I need to make sure it's a 3M product. Is there a particular brand name I should look for?
3M is a brand of clear bra. Venture Shield is the one I chose. It comes with a lifetime guarantee.

You will find fans and detractors of both brands. Do a web search on both and in previous threads here and make your own decision based upon your impressions.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:30 PM
moclimbin
2nd Gear
Verrrrrrrrrrry close to where you live, mo.

Proform in Ellicott City.

If you have a problem finding them online or in the <<gasp>> PHONE book, then let me know and I'll look up their phone number for you, if you're interested.
haha Thanks Once I get my windows tinted thats my next stop

Old 08-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Spectral Glider
2nd Gear
I went with the expel stuff through the dealer. I do both highway driving and more rural roads on my way to work every day and I know that the front end on my soon to be replaced ride, a Dodge Avenger, has taken a pounding. Rocks and crap fly out from those damn 18 wheelers all the time and wreak havoc. The plastic gets scratches and the paint chips are generally in the edge of the hood, and they get deep, right to the metal. Not to mention the bugs, I've got bug guts from years ago on the lower front end that a pressure washer won't even cut through. As for the price, heck, the price I'm already spending is what made me get the clear bra for another $795. When I look at $29,900 or $29,105, I don't see much of a difference. Especially not if I consider the bra to be more like an investment, which I do.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:13 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Skeeter Protected

Picked Skeeter up from the shop at noon, he is all protected and safe for his treks over the Altamont Pass. Being it is the only major freeway into the bay area trucks account for about 45% of the trafic, so my autos take a lot of punishment from them.

The clear bra package included the partial hood (no option for full hood) front bumber area, headlights, fog lights, door edge, door handle cups, gas cap area, rear bumper protection for boot access.
Five windows tinted, 25%/35% and windscreen protection, they had Skeeter for 24 hours and gave me a loaner to use. Out of the many installs I have had done, this is one of the best ever done. Total cost was $1,150 and includes 5 year on the bra, lifetime on the tint.

Old 08-16-2007, 07:11 PM
dirkinoff
2nd Gear
I installed one of the "clear bra" kits that I purchased on E-Bay for 40.00 and am very happy with it, It took a few hours of time, A heat gun and lots of soapy water but it turned out great. The dealer wanted 700.00 for it. I am sure the dealer offers a 3M product but for the 660.00 difference I will do it myself. If you are thinking of doing it yourself do it on a day when your patence level is very high as it is taxing.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra?