General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:58 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
The guy on that forum seems knowledgeable. But makes me wonder where HE got his info on "3M + Non-metallic Paint = Orange Peel Effect".

Anyway, I haven't noticed any on mine and haven't read anyone else on this board complaining of it. And there are a LOT of CR and PW owners here (not to mention any other non-metallic paint colors I'm not aware of).
Well, "orange peel" may be too extreme of a term, but we have the 8 mil 3M clear bra on both of our MINIs (Cool Blue & Pepper White), and the 3M material definitely has more of a texture than the factory clearcoat. Like the seam, it doesn't "jump out" at you, but if you get up close to it, you can tell.

Now, the clearbra material is softer than the clearcoat, so perhaps after I've polished the clearbra along with the rest of the car a few times, the difference will be less-noticeable, but for right now, it's there.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:05 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by smackboy1
Does anyone have 3M film on a non-metallic color like Chili Red? How does it look? I've been told to use Venture Shield on those colors; that the extra 3M protective layer, which gives it the orange peel look, stands out on non-metallic paints. I have 3M film on one of my cars but it's metallic gray so it looks fine.
Originally Posted by smackboy1
Don't get me wrong, I love my 3M clear bra. Wished I wrapped my entire car in it. But I've read on another board that orange peel effect is slightly more noticeable on non-metallic paints.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...t=film+venture
From what I've been told, the orange peel effect on the 3M material happens after a few years, not much can be done about it. The alternative is Venture Shield which protects just as well if not better and does not suffer from the orange peel phenomenon. This is why my installer switched from 3M to Venture Shield even though they maintain certifications for installing both products and carry both products in stock. They've been in business for a long time and are highly recommended in my community so I trust that they know what they are talking about.

Old 08-21-2007, 06:46 PM
smackboy1
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SimpsonGI
From what I've been told, the orange peel effect on the 3M material happens after a few years, not much can be done about it. The alternative is Venture Shield which protects just as well if not better and does not suffer from the orange peel phenomenon.
I noticed the orange peel effect on my car as soon as it was applied. Granted I can only see it if my nose is 1-2" from the surface which doesn't really bother me because my metallic paint has a textured surface appearance anyway. Which is what prompted my original question about whether the effect was more noticeable with non-metallic paints. Here's what an installer has to say about orange peel

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/cl...lifornia.shtml

However it seems that people here have installed 3M film on non-metallic paint without much issue so maybe the orange peel effect isn't that big a deal. Personally I like 3M, my clear bra has taken a ton of abuse. When the time comes I'm considering full coverage for the bonnet, fenders, air dam and maybe even the doors.

Last edited by smackboy1; 08-21-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:00 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
All of the MINI colours (as well as any other manufacturer's) have some amount of orange peel, whether they're metallic or solid. Here's a good example of the orange peel on BRG, from Jeremy1026's site:

Note the "waviness" and texture of the reflected image - that's not due to lack of resolution in the camera - it's showing the texture in the factory paint.

We have the 3M clear bra on both of our MINIs (one solid, one metallic), and from day one, the bra on both cars has *slightly* more texture than the factory clearcoat. Part of it is probably that the film is conforming to the texture on the factory paint, but I think part of it is that the 3M film just isn't quite as smooth as the factory paint.
Don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of gloss on the 3M film, and the difference between it and the factory paint isn't noticeable unless you're right up on top of it, but the 3M film is not 100% smooth, whether it's over a solid color or a metallic.

Here's a picture of my car, with the 3M film over "Cool Blue" paint:

Old 08-23-2007, 10:15 AM
narkose
2nd Gear
Clear Bra?

I am new to the forum but I thought I would "chip" in

I am having a hard time understanding the difference between the "Invisishield" that is available on the MINI configurator and the 3M and Venture Shield products being mentioned on the forum.

The cost quoted through MINI is $140 for Upper and $100 for Lower. Is this just the material and you have to pay extra for the install?

Old 08-23-2007, 10:18 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by narkose
I am new to the forum but I thought I would "chip" in

I am having a hard time understanding the difference between the "Invisishield" that is available on the MINI configurator and the 3M and Venture Shield products being mentioned on the forum.

The cost quoted through MINI is $140 for Upper and $100 for Lower. Is this just the material and you have to pay extra for the install?
Yeah, just the material. Different names for the same stuff (not sure about quality differences).

Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 AM
andyde
5th Gear
I have been on the fence for sometime but decidedto get it done yesterday. Installer used 3M material, car looks great and you can barely notice it on my Mellow Yellow. I had the front bumber done, head lights, fogs, mirrors, and bonnet, about 4 past the hood scoop.

The work was great but the installer had a hell of a time with the mirrors, I have read about the diffulty to stretch the material over the side view mirrors. So, my only complaint so far is that the mirrors came out really bad. The installer will remove the clear bra and try again. Take a look at the picture of the side view mirrors.

Again, I am very happy with the rest of the car but keep in mind that the mirrors will be very difficult. I'll post pic's of the front later.

Attached Thumbnails Clear Bra?-imgp1469-1.jpg   Clear Bra?-imgp1470-2.jpg  
Old 08-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by andyde
I have been on the fence for sometime but decidedto get it done yesterday. Installer used 3M material, car looks great and you can barely notice it on my Mellow Yellow. I had the front bumber done, head lights, fogs, mirrors, and bonnet, about 4 past the hood scoop.

The work was great but the installer had a hell of a time with the mirrors, I have read about the diffulty to stretch the material over the side view mirrors. So, my only complaint so far is that the mirrors came out really bad. The installer will remove the clear bra and try again. Take a look at the picture of the side view mirrors.

Again, I am very happy with the rest of the car but keep in mind that the mirrors will be very difficult. I'll post pic's of the front later.
WOW! That is bad! Did he use a blow dryer to soften up the material? I don't know if that works on the clear bra, but worked great on my Lamin-X light covers, which is thicker than clear bra.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:50 PM
SimpsonGI
Coordinator :: Emerald MINI Car Club
Originally Posted by andyde

That is horrible, I'm glad they are redoing it for you. My installer didn't have any issues with the Venture Shield. It does supposedly stretch easier than the 3M product though

Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 PM
andyde
5th Gear
They used that little water bottle thing and they did used the blower; from their point of view is the unbearable humidity we have been having here in Houston.
Both mirrors and fogs will be redone....the rest of the car seems to be fine.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:58 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My installer didn't have any problem with my mirror covers either. And he used the 3M film.

In fact, it's even harder to see the line on my mirror than it is on my bonnet, he did that good a job. Plus, them being checkered helps hide the line, I'm sure.

By the way, I'd tell him that if he's not sure he can do them perfectly, to find someone who can... and at his expense, not yours. That's unacceptable.

Old 08-25-2007, 04:46 AM
Minutia
2nd Gear
Here is a link to source for a DIY kit at a very reasonable price. I think I will try doing it myself at this price.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=006

TD

Old 08-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Hi everyone -- This is a great thread!

Something to keep in mind (MCS '07 Only) is how freak'in hot the bonnet gets after a drive and the car is parked. Make sure the clear bra you choose can handle the heat the turbo releases.

The area around my hood scoop reaches between 200F and 235F depending on ambient temps and if there is a breeze (or not). MiniUSA says these temps are normal for "07 MCS's. I say if someone can burn themselve on the hood, it's a safety issue. We'll see what the NHTSA says about it. Feel free to file a complaint Not trying to hijack the thread, just something to consider.

Back to the clear bra... The VentureSheild from AccuGuard show a max continuous temp of 212F. They only tested up to 199.4F in their high temp resistance tests for 1 hour increments.

I haven't checked 3M ratings yet, but will post if there is any interest.

Anyway, I'm holding off of the clear bra until I find one that can take the heat or Mini runs the fan a little longer after shutdown.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:13 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
Just talked to a 3M clearbra installer--they seemed very knowledgeable. I asked what the deal is with putting the clearbra over the racing stripes...they said 3M will not warranty the product if it is installed this way. They said, however, that they can just cut out a piece of the clearbra around the stripes so the warranty is still good. This would likely work just fine for my racing stripes, but not sure how it would do for the wider bonnet stripes.

I know others on this thread have had their clearbras installed over stripes...I hope you still have a warranty should something go wrong...

Old 08-25-2007, 01:16 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
My installer put mine on over top the bonnet stripes and I have a lifetime warranty in writing.

Guess it doesn't depend on the brand of film, it depends on the installer.

Old 08-25-2007, 01:24 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
My installer put mine on over top the bonnet stripes and I have a lifetime warranty in writing.

Guess it doesn't depend on the brand of film, it depends on the installer.
Maybe. He said they contacted 3M last time the issue came up and they said they wouldn't honor it...

If I have the 3M product installed and the warranty stays intact regardless, it wouldn't matter whether or not the installer has another policy...would it?

Old 08-25-2007, 01:56 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by wondermini
Maybe. He said they contacted 3M last time the issue came up and they said they wouldn't honor it...

If I have the 3M product installed and the warranty stays intact regardless, it wouldn't matter whether or not the installer has another policy...would it?
I would think if the installer wants to maintain his reputation, he had better honor it. Of course, not everyone cares about their reputation, just about your dollar.

Now, my warranty states this: If damage should occur to the paint through the film, they will repair the damage for free and replace the film for free.

Doesn't say they'll replace the film for things like discoloration. Maybe that's what 3M is saying.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:02 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
I would think if the installer wants to maintain his reputation, he had better honor it. Of course, not everyone cares about their reputation, just about your dollar.

Now, my warranty states this: If damage should occur to the paint through the film, they will repair the damage for free and replace the film for free.

Doesn't say they'll replace the film for things like discoloration. Maybe that's what 3M is saying.
Not sure what they mean. At any rate, I'm not sure I care what the installer warranty is--just what the 3M warranty is and if it would be honored. I'm not living in Sacramento for the rest of my life, so at some point I may need the warranty honored at a different shop, no?

Is the warranty you're reading the 3M warranty? If so, there must be stipulations about whether or not installation is done to a certain standard. If an installer does not follow their recommendations, perhaps they do not have to honor the warranty.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Not sure what they mean. At any rate, I'm not sure I care what the installer warranty is--just what the 3M warranty is and if it would be honored. I'm not living in Sacramento for the rest of my life, so at some point I may need the warranty honored at a different shop, no?

Is the warranty you're reading the 3M warranty? If so, there must be stipulations about whether or not installation is done to a certain standard. If an installer does not follow their recommendations, perhaps they do not have to honor the warranty.
This is from the QA page for 3M :

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be applied over graphics? A. The clear film will not interfere with vinyl or painted graphics and is designed to match the gloss levels of today's automotive factory clearcoat paint systems, providing virtually invisible protection. However, if the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is removed, damage may occur to the underlying graphic during the removal process.
Alos has the warranty info and other questions.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Consumer/FAQs/

Old 08-25-2007, 02:52 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Also one of the exclusions in the 3M warranty is "misapplications" this is where I go with a shop that has been doing it for several years and chances are will be around if I have issues. My thinking the 3M warrany is only as good as the installer.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:53 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tharkun
This is from the QA page for 3M :

Q. Can Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film be applied over graphics? A. The clear film will not interfere with vinyl or painted graphics and is designed to match the gloss levels of today's automotive factory clearcoat paint systems, providing virtually invisible protection. However, if the Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film is removed, damage may occur to the underlying graphic during the removal process.
Alos has the warranty info and other questions.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...Consumer/FAQs/
This is quite helpful. Certainly makes it seem like 3M doesn't give a crap what you put it over...

Old 08-25-2007, 02:55 PM
wondermini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tharkun
Also one of the exclusions in the 3M warranty is "misapplications" this is where I go with a shop that has been doing it for several years and chances are will be around if I have issues. My thinking the 3M warrany is only as good as the installer.
Right. I completely agree.

The installer I was considering has been there for years, does it regularly, has the x-pel software to cut the pieces themselves, etc. This warranty glitch is the only concern. I'll look for another place.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear

The installer I was considering has been there for years, does it regularly, has the x-pel software to cut the pieces themselves, etc. This warranty glitch is the only concern. I'll look for another place.

Or talk to him and see exactly what concerns he has, I had the option you are being given, but went with covering the stripes. If it was a mistake down the road, will just re-do and change out the stripes...which I may do anyways.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Tharkun
6th Gear

Also I passed on having the material on the chrome mirrors, just did not look good in my opinion, you may check that out as well.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Jinxy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jinxy

Back to the clear bra... The VentureSheild from AccuGuard show a max continuous temp of 212F. They only tested up to 199.4F in their high temp resistance tests for 1 hour increments.

I haven't checked 3M ratings yet, but will post if there is any interest.

Anyway, I'm holding off of the clear bra until I find one that can take the heat or Mini runs the fan a little longer after shutdown.
I've dug thru 3m's site for their testing data. It appears they didn't perform (or document) the extensive testing that VentureSheild did. 3M passed the 24 month exposure tests in Arizona & Florida, but the highest heat test only shows 158F. After a spirited drive, our MSC hoods get WAY hotter then that parked in a nice cool garage.

At this point if I get one, I'm only going to cover up to the beginning of the hood scoop, and the entire lower grill.

Hmmm, if I clear bra above the hood scoop and damage occurs due to heat, I'm looking at a costly repair to have the bonnet repainted. If I don't cover above the hood scoop, eventually it's going to be subject to the standard road rash (nicks and chips), which could also require the bonnet to be repainted ...DOH!

Decisions, decisions....

Quick Reply: Clear Bra?