General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:43 AM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiniDaMoocher
I didn't know you could put bonnet stripes on top of a clear bra. Do your stripes cross over the clear bra seam. Any issues with this? Based on your comment I will look into going full bonnet coverage if it's not to much.
Yes, my stripes cross over the seam, but I've had no issues with this. You can see where the edge is a little easier than the rest of the bra, but other than that its fine.

The installer at the shop said that had I wanted to go the other way, he would have had a tough time trying to work the 3M around all 4 long edges of the stripes, since the 3M is thicker than vinyl. This way, the stripes have the same sheen straight across, and like ScottRiqui says, I can easily get new or different stripes.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:13 PM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
Ultimate Shield in OC said they can cut 1/16" before the bonnet stripes, which means the stripes will be covered but will have its own separate piece. Is this a better option to just covering the stripes?

Old 10-09-2007, 09:33 PM
ghosthound
6th Gear
ok, so im now pretty sure i will be going with the Ventureshield as opposed to the 3m product. It appears as though the ventureshield material is very similar to this product called the invisible shield that i use on my ipod. Anyway, every dealer has told me that they will sell me the full hood film but they strongly recommend against installing it myself. This has led me to question whether or not i should even get the full hood protection to begin with. my uncle has the 3m coating on for the first part of the hood and it seems to be holding up fine, this makes me think i dont need the full hood...

what does everyone else think? not only will the partial hood be easier to install, it costs significantly less.

Old 10-10-2007, 06:34 AM
MiniDaMoocher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by ghosthound
ok, so im now pretty sure i will be going with the Ventureshield as opposed to the 3m product. It appears as though the ventureshield material is very similar to this product called the invisible shield that i use on my ipod. Anyway, every dealer has told me that they will sell me the full hood film but they strongly recommend against installing it myself. This has led me to question whether or not i should even get the full hood protection to begin with. my uncle has the 3m coating on for the first part of the hood and it seems to be holding up fine, this makes me think i dont need the full hood...

what does everyone else think? not only will the partial hood be easier to install, it costs significantly less.
What have you learned that is persuading you towards Ventureshield?

As far as a full hood application, I discussed this yesterday with a couple of installers. They claim it is not worth the extra cost to go full for of a couple of reasons. First, your not really gaining protection. The material works because it is deflecting rocks which are coming at you horizontally. Once you get past 18" or 24", the bonnet is nearly flat and the chance of getting hit is significantly reduced. Second, in order to not have a seam, the material has to be from a wide roll which is very expensive. He told me a roll of 48" wide material is a lot more than double a roll of 24". So it boils down to the high cost to eliminate the seam.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:42 AM
kris.sherry
2nd Gear
Ultimate Shield in OC raised the price $300 for the full hood. In my mind not worth it for the extra, just-in-case, protection.

An extra $60 for the 24", now is that worth it? Or is the standard 18 " sufficient?

Old 10-10-2007, 07:56 AM
kallum
1st Gear
Can anyone recommend a place to get this done near Philly?

Old 10-10-2007, 10:24 AM
ghosthound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniDaMoocher
What have you learned that is persuading you towards Ventureshield?

As far as a full hood application, I discussed this yesterday with a couple of installers. They claim it is not worth the extra cost to go full for of a couple of reasons. First, your not really gaining protection. The material works because it is deflecting rocks which are coming at you horizontally. Once you get past 18" or 24", the bonnet is nearly flat and the chance of getting hit is significantly reduced. Second, in order to not have a seam, the material has to be from a wide roll which is very expensive. He told me a roll of 48" wide material is a lot more than double a roll of 24". So it boils down to the high cost to eliminate the seam.
it seems the ventureshield is just the better option based on many peoples reviews.

im thinking the same about the whole hood deal. I dont mind the seam as i can barely see it anyway. Also, out of all the cars ive owned, i can honestly say i have never seen a rock chip past the first 1-2 feet.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
michele r53
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im thinking of having the front bumper and full hood done also the headlights fog lights and signal lights and im also thinking about having the whole roof done. If they do the whole hood is it a seamless piece or not? I havent gone to a shop yet

Old 07-06-2010, 06:44 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talk to the shop - you can have the entire hood done in one piece, but not all shops stock the film in wide-enough rolls, so you'll want to coordinate beforehand in case they need to order some.

I don't know how wide the roof is, but the roof generally doesn't attract a lot of chips so most people don't have it done. The shop will be able to tell you if they can do it and how much it will cost.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:47 PM
michele r53
3rd Gear
The only reason i want to have the whole roof done is that im going to have it painted black and im trying to avoid the swrill marks that normal washing and waxing creates. Im a little OCD.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:40 AM
extremomini
Neutral
Mini Clear Bra Pics

You can check out my facebook page for some clear bra pics:
http://www.facebook.com/ExtremeColorsofGreenville

Old 04-06-2011, 09:07 PM
mini on
4th Gear
I had mine done at the dealer before picking it up. I t may have costed a little more, but I left protected. Very happy with the installation.