General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear Bra?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 09:13 AM
Lil A
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clear Bra?

I've heard so many people talking about the clear bra. I'm assuming it helps prevent dings and chips to the front of our babies. Can someone post a pic of a Mini with a clear bra installed? Can you even see them? And also, what is the cost and can the dealer install? Thanks...

Old 08-16-2007, 09:24 AM
paceysgl5
2nd Gear
I called my dealer about it earlier and it was $785 so I am not putting it on right now. That seems like a ton of money for something like that. It sounds like everyone thinks it's a good idea, but 800 is a bit much for me... :/

Old 08-16-2007, 09:30 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check out my gallery. Look really closely at the CR MINI. If you can see it, you have excellent vision.

In person, you can see the line of the clearbra, but only if you're within about 15 feet of the car.

The cost varies from around $300 to $1200 based on the installer, product, and geographical area.

Don't worry about the cost because it will be well worth it. In five years, the areas protected will still look like they're new, free of chips and scratches. And these MINIs are highly succeptible to stones and rocks and other road debris.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:39 AM
andyde
5th Gear
Just like everyone else has stated, it a clear pastic film that goes over bumprs, hood, lights, etc.... I have had it in the past and was happy with it.
it is a bit pricey but if you are certain that you will keep the car for a long time, then it is a good investment.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:46 AM
Tharkun
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Lil A
I've heard so many people talking about the clear bra. I'm assuming it helps prevent dings and chips to the front of our babies. Can someone post a pic of a Mini with a clear bra installed? Can you even see them? And also, what is the cost and can the dealer install? Thanks...
I just took delivery of my MCS on Tuesday evening and wil be picking it up today from the shop that is doing the clear bra/tinting. I'll be posting pictures this evening. As for seeing it yes it is noticable, to what degree depends on car color.

Clear Bra prices vary depending on your location and the shop dong it. However you will pay a premium if you have a dealer do it as they just contract it out and mark up the price.

This will be the 5 th car I have used the clear bra on and well it may seem pricey, but if you compare having the area protected to it being repainted, the clear bra is worth the cost in my opinion.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Here's a better shot of the CR MC from my photobucket gallery. See if you can find the clearbra line on this pic:

And NO, it's not that squiggly line on the Passenger side bonnet stripe. That's a reflection of a cloud !

Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 AM
e46jb
4th Gear
The clear bra is based on personal choice. Some like the fact of having the protection, others don't like the appearance since you can see the lines of the bra, plus when at a distance you can see a difference in glossy-ness of the paint due to the protective film.

The cost is high, but if you do not want stone chips, then it is worth the investment.

One bit of a warning though. Should you decide to have the clear bra installed and no longer want it, you will need to re-apply your clear coat since the glue is very strong and will remove it.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:59 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Here's a shot where I was demonstrating wax removal, no beading. If you look closely on the fenders, you can see the clear bra line.

That's how hard it is to find it.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Lil A
Mine was $700, coordinated through the MINI dealer, but actually done by a private contracter, I believe.

This was for the bumper and hood version. The hood only was much less, $300 I think.

It is working out extremely well. I live on a gravel road and no chips so far.

The other day my daughter asked me why I had the clear bra removed from my car. I have not had it removed. She was standing right next to the car and thought it was gone! It is that good.

Here's a picture of my car with the bra on, not a close-up, but believe me, it is only visible if you stand by the side of the car and look for the line across the hood.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
emtrey
5th Gear
I had a ton of chips on the nose of my 04 (37K mile) Cooper. I would not be without it-the front of this car takes a beating. You can not see it w/o staring and looking for it.

Try to negotiate the price. $600. should be doable.

Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 AM
grahams_da
1st Gear
I had mine odne on my BRG MSC. Like the others, it is only visible at particular angles and up close. Not a detracting appearance at all IMO. It was around $550; dealer arranged, third party installed.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:01 AM
motionmonk
2nd Gear
There's a guy on ebay who sells the cut vinyl bras for about $25 plus shipping. It took me about 3 hours to install it myself on my DS MCS.
The hood has multiple (!!!) compound curves, so you have to use a hair dryer or heat gun to soften the material up and pull and coax it into place.
I am very happy with my results, but I've worked with car graphics before. I think it is a helpful thing; about two weeks after I installed it, I hit a large piece of whatever on the freeway, and it cracked the fiberglass near to my passenger side fog light, tearing the vinyl.
My impression is that the thick and soft vinyl helped keep it from being worse, but who know for sure : )

Old 08-16-2007, 11:08 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3M stuff is expensive. What's that guy using -- saran wrap??

Old 08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Kasey
2nd Gear
This is a great shot and not at all exaggerated. My service manager says she now routinely runs her finger down the hood when she checks in a car so she can mark whether or not they have a clear bra on the service order. She doesn't trust her eyes to pick it up.

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Here's a shot where I was demonstrating wax removal, no beading. If you look closely on the fenders, you can see the clear bra line.

That's how hard it is to find it.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:46 AM
pastabatman
4th Gear
How long do they continue to be invisible? A friend had one on her silver TT, and, although it was virtually invisible at first, it developed a very slight brownish tinge after a few years. Should you replace them periodically? I read one post recently of a nightmare, where the removal was done too late, or improperly, and it came off in coin sized chunks.

Edit:
Here's one thread that gave me pause:
Originally Posted by Dave_07
The 3M guy kept saying to me that it wasn’t "guaranteed for life". I kept telling him that if owners knew that it would have to be removed in 3-5 years, and that there was significant risk that the paint would be removed with it, that no one would buy the stuff.

Last edited by pastabatman; 08-16-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
^ Probably the cheaper film, not the 3M stuff that was developed the military to protect helicopter blades from damage.

Like anything in life, you get what you pay for. Save money up front, pay in the end.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:12 PM
paceysgl5
2nd Gear
I guess I still am unable to justify 700-800 for this...I have never had issues with cracking paint on the many (well, 12 or so) cars I've owned. Some very low to the ground, some not. If it was 100-200, ok, maybe. But with 700-800 I could add a lot to my car that would actually be something noticable (I did not and could not go all out on my car when purchasing, so 800 is a lot to pay cash for at the moment...)

Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by paceysgl5
I guess I still am unable to justify 700-800 for this...I have never had issues with cracking paint on the many (well, 12 or so) cars I've owned. Some very low to the ground, some not. If it was 100-200, ok, maybe. But with 700-800 I could add a lot to my car that would actually be something noticable (I did not and could not go all out on my car when purchasing, so 800 is a lot to pay cash for at the moment...)
I have to agree with this, especially since you can, and NAMmers have, gotten chips even with the clear bra. I went through a pebble/gravel attack on I95 when it was being resurfaced and I got one very tiny chip, which I am going to fix this weekend, now that I finally got touch-up paint.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 PM
paceysgl5
2nd Gear
Have you used the touch up paint before? That is a must I'll have to buy. I also have a lightning blue MCS on the way

You'll have to let us (me) know how the touch-up goes and how it looks afterwards!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:24 PM
Lil A
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the great replies and advice. After reading the first few replies I was sold. Then I read the warning from Dave 07 (link from pastabatmans post)... Since I live in AZ I have to wonder if the hot sun will break down the bra at a faster rate. Anybody ever use a black vinyl bra on their Mini's? Have pics? I really want to protect him from stones and such but not if it's going to ruin his paint. ....

Old 08-16-2007, 12:27 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Yeah, I have. I plan to use the Langka touch-up kit. The only place I have found the Lightning Blue touch-up paint is from Levine Auto. I'll post how it goes, with pictures. This chip is very tiny.

aem421
4th Gear
I getting it put on my MCS. It'll be the first time. I'm tired of touching up rock chips on the hood, bumper, and mirrors. It never looks the same, and with metallic paint, no way. If you can afford it, do it. If not, let it go and get some touch up paint.

CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
You touch up every little paint chip you get over the years and we'll see who has the better looking MINI in about 5 years.

If you get a paint chip through the 3M film, you were going at about Mach 3 and it wasn't a stone that hit you, it was a meteorite.

Of our 3 MINIs, one has the clearbra (fiance didn't want it on her PW and we just bought the 05 MCSC). There's a definite difference in the appearance of the cars. The PW MC has six small chips in the paint that are down to the primer. Touch-up time. The JB MCSC has about a 12-15 touch-ups from chips and they're a little bumpy and not visually appealing up close.

Get it... don't get it. Personal choice.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:28 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I would not be without my clear bra. Every time I hear a rock hit the front end, I think "thank god for the clear bra".

I think someone who does NOT have a clear bra and got their front end all chipped up should take a picture and post it. I know there are some because there are many who have said they regretted not getting it.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I would also add that during that pebble storm, the chip occurred far up on the bonnet, well above where the clear-bra would have been. To me, paying $800+ when, in fact, you can still get chips through the clear bra and most of the car is still exposed, ain't worth it. But, I can see the other side of the argument. But, I got better things to spend the $ on.

Quick Reply: Clear Bra?