General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay, so here's the rules... DON'T FORGET THEM.

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:25 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I just don't see much point in getting bent about it. If they're not having as good of a time as me, that's their problem, not mine!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:26 PM
jessicasprouse
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
I wave at every MINI I see. I don't care if I don't get a wave back, but I'm happy if I do
ditto!

Old 05-14-2008, 11:27 PM
jessicasprouse
3rd Gear
I just don't see much point in getting bent about it. If they're not having as good of a time as me, that's their problem, not mine!
i agree, but i just hate it when they actually bash people who do wave. If you don't like it, then dont do it, but don't be mean.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:39 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jessicasprouse
i agree, but i just hate it when they actually bash people who do wave. If you don't like it, then dont do it, but don't be mean.
I don't disagree. But I'm a live-and-let-live kinda girl in general.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:49 PM
jessicasprouse
3rd Gear
I don't disagree. But I'm a live-and-let-live kinda girl in general.
as am I. but there is no reason to ignore or be rude to someone who is outwardly being nice to you. i understand and respect that some people are here for the tech aspects, and didnt buy a mini because of the community. Thats cool with me, because people should do whatever makes them happy. but it is imo that you shouldnt be impolite or ignore a person who is going out of their way to be nice and friendly. if you dont like it, suffer for a second, give a small wave back, and continue on. what's the harm in that?

Old 05-15-2008, 12:17 AM
allenski
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just checked out MINI's Motoring Hearts website . . . and it's great to be reminded again about what attracted me to MINI, other than it's a 'a cool bad *** car' and even more so when after market mods are put on it (not that I have any - still under warranty ) . . . but part of MINI's car community culture is trying to do good, and doing good to others. IMO, waving (or thumbs up) spreads friendliness and good and if you see MINI owners waving . . . it's because that's what MINI is trying to be about . . . building a car community that's doing good, and having fun.

So if you choose not to wave . . . that's your right. But their are certain associations about this unique car that can't be ignored. "save the wave"

Last edited by allenski; 05-15-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 12:59 AM
jessicasprouse
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by allenski
I just checked out MINI's Motoring Hearts website . . . and it's great to be reminded again about what attracted me to MINI, other than it's a 'a cool bad *** car' and even more so when after market mods are put on it (not that I have any - still under warranty ) . . . but part of MINI's car community culture is trying to do good, and doing good to others. IMO, waving (or thumbs up) spreads friendliness and good and if you see MINI owners waving . . . it's because that's what MINI is trying to be about . . . building a car community that's doing good, and having fun.

So if you choose not to wave . . . that's your right. But their are certain associations about this unique car that can't be ignored. "save the wave"

Old 05-15-2008, 06:45 AM
the platform
5th Gear
The wave is dead......unfortunately
I have grown weary of trying to engage the average "blase" MINI owners.I think there are plenty out there who view Mini ownership as just economical transport.....just a car.I get plenty of potential "converts"(possible future owners who won't wave ) who approach me and ask the usual "burning" question:......."How's the gas mileage in those????".........what! I did'nt buy my MINI because of it gets good MPG.I bought cuz it's fast,resposive,well styled and unique.So......maybe I'll wave to the owners who seem to be "driving" their MINI and not just floating in them like their piloting a rowboat.

Last edited by the platform; 05-15-2008 at 06:46 AM. Reason: spell
Old 05-15-2008, 07:24 AM
Madison MS MINI
3rd Gear
Trying to keep the Wave alive!

Originally Posted by the platform
......"How's the gas mileage in those????".........what!
To those people who know so little about a MINI and want to know the gas milage, I always tell them the first number that comes to mind . . . .
"This baby gets about 143 MPG in the City!" and they believe me.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:36 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tazio
Speak for yourself, please. When in my car I don't wave at strangers. I don't talk on the phone. I don't consume decaf blended pumpkin spice frappuccinos. I drive. (Sometimes maybe a little tiny bit over the speed limit.)

Can you at least give us waving crazies a nod of mutual Mini appreciation please? We NEED it! Our Mini's need it!

Old 05-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
I saw my twin car [on the outside of course] staring back at me at an intersection. No return wave, just the "You're crazy" glare. I mean, come on, at least acknowledge that we are both driving an awesome car.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Um...

Originally Posted by x uh oh x
Can you at least give us waving crazies a nod of mutual Mini appreciation please? We NEED it! Our Mini's need it!
are you serious? Is that a real need? Aren't there more important things to worry about?

A bit off topic, but I think it's relevant. My wife has a real bee up her bonnet about bicycle riders who don't wear helmets. She gets all agravated about it, pointing out how stupid they are and how wreckless they are. I mean really upset. I point out to here that since she drives by so quickly that they just keep doing what they do, and she's the one holding the stress and anger over this issue. It's a negative impact on her mood with all the body chemistry changes that go with anger and stress. She's finally seeing the light and trying to "let go" of the issue.

So, don't get bent about people who don't wave, as you become the one carrying a negative burdon. Life's too short and precious to CHOOSE to add another stressor!

Matt

Last edited by Dr Obnxs; 05-15-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:37 AM
Ivygirl702
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
are you serious? Is that a real need? Aren't there more important things to worry about?
I don't worry about it and I'm certainly not stressed out about it. It's just a fun little extra that came with my car.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:44 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Think of it as a very harmless, very cheap, yet very efficient way of making someone's day. Need? Ok, maybe I was a LITTLE exuberant in my description. But sometimes, a little acknowledgement for something I'm enthusiastic about goes a LONG way. Especially if you don't know how crazy I really am.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:57 AM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Personally, as much as I would like having a Mini driver wave back, I do not consider it rude if they do not. Rude is making an obscene hand gesture. Rude is giving me the 'evil eye' . Indifference is not rude to me, but it does not endear you to me, either. Acknowledgment is not required - I'll still wave to you.

Speaking of cyclists, I'm a roadie (I wear a helmet, so no one stress out), but I like to wave to other cyclists and folks out exercising. Some wave back, some do not. I figure be nice & they may call the EMTs to come scrape me up off of the asphalt if/when some text-messenging driver turns me into road pizza.

Last edited by OPC; 05-15-2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OPC
Personally, as much as I would like having a Mini driver wave back, I do not consider it rude if they do not. Rude is making an obscene hand gestrure. Rude is giving me the 'evil eye' . Indifference is not rude to me, but it does not endear you to me, either. Acknowledgement is not required - I'll still wave to you.

Speaking of cyclists, I'm a roadie (I wear a helmet, so no one stress out), but I like to wave to other cyclists and folks out exersizing. Some wave back, some do not. I figure be nice & they may call the EMTs to come scrape me up off of the asphalt if/when some text-messenging driver turns me into road pizza.

Poor guy...I'm not a roadie, but I'd call the EMTs AND help scrape you up. And I'd even wave to you - but I'd prefer if you keep both hands on the bike to prevent having to scrape!

Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
allenski
4th Gear
A friend a mine use to own an open top jeep wrangler, and I told him about the MINI wave, and he shoots right back, "oh ya, jeep owners wave at each other too. I use to wave at other jeep owners when I owned my jeep."

A couple of my friends who ride on MOTORIZED "two wheels" tell me the same story - waving is part of their community. I've noticed it that couple times on the road. It DOES NOT happen all the time, but it's still alive and well. Cyclists will wave at each other, NOt all the time, but its part of their etiquette.

I think if we loose the wave, we become that much more "like everybody else", the MINI car and those who drive it becomes "like everybody else". Like Honda, like Toyota, like Ford and Chevy drivers, like ______(fill in the blank).

For those who choose not to wave because they don't want to conform, or don't like conformity. Then MINI owners can become just like everybody else. Then you can be just like everybody else. If you want to be like any other regular car driver, and conform to a gray world of commuters, . . .

then don't wave.

Sadly, I'm slipping into that gray world. But I'll keep trying to wave, or nod, or thumbs up when I can just so that I can be . . . different.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:25 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
I get so tickled when we have Cruise-Ins at Sonic. There will always be at least one random MINI that pulls in and will hide in their car with the windows up. I know some people aren't car club people, but how can you not acknowledge the fact that there are 10-15 MINIs parked 10 feet away? Do we really look that scary or insane?

Old 05-15-2008, 11:41 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vargasgal
Do we really look that scary or insane?
True, there are some owners who want nothing to do with waving and/or other MINI owners. How sad. Ultimately though, I wave because I want to and because I want to help create a more (rather than less) friendly world, Although I often get no response in return, now and then another enthusiastic owner does wave back and that makes it well worth doing.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:54 AM
august2
1st Gear
I am new to Minis. No one had told me about the wave thing. So, on the way home from the dealership an 06 MCS passes me on the left. I look over and he waved and I waved back. I always try to give back what I receive. That was the third week in April. I have found that there is about a 40% response to my waving. Someone told me that it may be because in my state we aren't big wavers. At first I was bothered by the unreturned waves and thought maybe I shouldn't wave. I wave to every Mini. If they wave back, great, if they don't - no problem. I just keep motoring, regardless. I do think that there is a definite Mini culture, and I think that is great.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:04 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by august2
I do think that there is a definite Mini culture, and I think that is great.
You are right!!! I get a giggle when I see MINIs in parking lots....they're always the ones parked on the end skooched waaay over so nothing happens to their baby!!!

Old 05-15-2008, 12:16 PM
jkling17
4th Gear
Yesterday, I'm driving into Philly for an appointment. And this "left lane loser" just wouldn't get out of the fast lane on I-95, even with a little polite light flashing. Finally, I was able to pass him by and gave him a little wave and a nod.

So what does he do? He decides to drive a whole lot faster than he was for the last 5 minutes and tries to stick right behind me. Boy, if there's one thing I really don't like it's being tailgated. I just planted it down while still in 6th and winked "bye bye" to him in my rear view mirror. Gosh it is SO NICE having a turbo . . .

Old 05-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Cyclism
1st Gear
jkling17:

Did you at least flash your rear fogs to make him brake while you floored it and sped away, leaving him to furrow his brow in a vain attempt to comprehend what just happened?

Old 05-15-2008, 01:40 PM
allenski
4th Gear
^ flashing rear fogs . . . I wonder there is mod for that

Old 05-15-2008, 01:54 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by vargasgal
but how can you not acknowledge the fact that there are 10-15 MINIs parked 10 feet away? Do we really look that scary or insane?
Well...we ARE a little insane...but in a totally good way. Too bad those who are hiding at a cruise-in aren't as friendly.

Quick Reply: Okay, so here's the rules... DON'T FORGET THEM.