General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dolly Towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dolly Towing

Thought it would be an easy car to tow behind a motorhome. I ordered the Clubman S, but couldn't find any set up for flat towing, I ordered a tow dolly. When it came it talked about locking the steering wheel once on the dolly. MINIs do not have locking steering wheels. Any suggestion? Has anyone towed a MINI? Do the emergency brakes work off the front or rear wheels?

Anyone with any towing experience with the MINI I would be appreciate your thoughts.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:07 AM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeff S.
Thought it would be an easy car to tow behind a motorhome. I ordered the Clubman S, but couldn't find any set up for flat towing, I ordered a tow dolly. When it came it talked about locking the steering wheel once on the dolly. MINIs do not have locking steering wheels. Any suggestion? Has anyone towed a MINI? Do the emergency brakes work off the front or rear wheels?

Anyone with any towing experience with the MINI I would be appreciate your thoughts.
I have dolly towed two different MINIs across country. No problems with the dolly tow. Locking the wheels or not isn't a big concern. You check the harness every time you stop.

I currently flat tow a manual Clubman. I use the Roadmaster base plate, and tow bar. The base plate will fit the frame on both the Clubman and the S, the bumper cover has to be cut for the connectors.

I know how much NAM members like to debate, I will not debate this. It can be done, it works well, and I don't particularly care what anyone's MA said.

Good luck, enjoy the Clubman! The lack of locking steering wheel is great for flat towing. Just hook up, put it in neutral, and go.

Name:  ClubbieTowing013.jpg
Views: 2193
Size:  167.2 KB

Name:  ClubbieTowing023.jpg
Views: 1719
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  ClubbieTowing029.jpg
Views: 5338
Size:  130.7 KB

Name:  SD2008054.jpg
Views: 2302
Size:  147.8 KB

Old 06-09-2008, 11:21 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That frame would make for a WONDERFUL light bar mounting - to hide the tow frame itself... just a thought...

Old 06-10-2009, 12:41 PM
hchase86
1st Gear
i would recommend a full auto transport

towing a mini can certainly be a challenge. a tow dolly is not a wise choice, only because the tow dollys carry the car with the two wheels off the ground. it would be a better idea to get one of the full sized auto transports, these have all four wheels off the group. you can get a pretty good priced one, used from uhaul. they sell out their old rental equipment. just an idea!

Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 PM
jbkone
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's another couple that flat tows a yellow clubbie. I met them at MOTD: Fuzzy and AprilWhine (i think I spelled them right). Nice people and what a great setup! A cool RV and a MINI!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM
jasonsjwou
1st Gear
I am planning to tow a MINI behind my GMC Conversion van on a 700mile trip. UHAUL has car dolly rental (front wheel goes on it, rear wheel stays on the road, like this one).

My GMC Savana exceeds towing capacity required to do this. So that's fine.

But is this good for a Mini? I read conflicting comments on this. Being a FWD car, I don't think it'll be an issue, but I'd like to hear some comments/suggestions.

Do I need to put the car in Neutral (and strap tires to the dolly) when doing this?

Also, if you tow it with all 4 wheels on the road (like the original poster) does the Odometer accumulate?

Old 08-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Ferroequine
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jbkone
There's another couple that flat tows a yellow clubbie. I met them at MOTD: Fuzzy and AprilWhine (i think I spelled them right). Nice people and what a great setup! A cool RV and a MINI!
Jim Ray = Fuzzy.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
flatlander_48
5th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hchase86
towing a mini can certainly be a challenge. a tow dolly is not a wise choice, only because the tow dollys carry the car with the two wheels off the ground. it would be a better idea to get one of the full sized auto transports, these have all four wheels off the group. you can get a pretty good priced one, used from uhaul. they sell out their old rental equipment. just an idea!
Not exactly. For example, the stated weight for my JCW is 2888lb. The front/rear weight distribution is 58/42. So, 42% of the weight of the car is supported by the 2 rear wheels, or 1212lb; same as it would be if rolling on 4 wheels. The dolly would support the remaining 58%, or 1676lb.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 AM
itsminibtch
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
personally, i'd rather keep all 4 wheels off the ground... im picky, i feel like it would put unnecessary wear on the car (tires, pebbles, etc) but i really dont know much about towing.

Old 04-16-2021, 10:27 AM
Jim Fischer
Neutral
Originally Posted by Jim Ray
I have dolly towed two different MINIs across country. No problems with the dolly tow. Locking the wheels or not isn't a big concern. You check the harness every time you stop.

I currently flat tow a manual Clubman. I use the Roadmaster base plate, and tow bar. The base plate will fit the frame on both the Clubman and the S, the bumper cover has to be cut for the connectors.

I know how much NAM members like to debate, I will not debate this. It can be done, it works well, and I don't particularly care what anyone's MA said.

Good luck, enjoy the Clubman! The lack of locking steering wheel is great for flat towing. Just hook up, put it in neutral, and go.

Attachment 173175

Attachment 173176

Attachment 173177

Attachment 173178
How did you connect your tail lights to work with your tow rig wiring? Do you disconnect your battery and rely on the RV to provide powder to the Mini's tail lights?

Old 04-17-2021, 09:03 AM
Oreod
2nd Gear
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Fischer
How did you connect your tail lights to work with your tow rig wiring? Do you disconnect your battery and rely on the RV to provide powder to the Mini's tail lights?
i always tapped into the lights of the towed vehicle because I liked integrating the RV and toad (I'm a tad ****). Over the decades I have set up several vehicles this way, until I started towing my 2011 S Clubman. Vehicle electrical systems and communication started getting really complex and 10 years ago I went with these folks . I have used their system for over 10 years and am very happy with the company and their product. For ease and simplicity wireless is the way to go..

If your towing a Gen2 Mini using a BlueOx baseplate, please PM me.

Gary

Last edited by Oreod; 04-17-2021 at 09:05 AM. Reason: add
Old 04-17-2021, 11:45 AM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
"MINIs do not have locking steering wheels". Maybe yours doesn't but mine does!