General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement cost?!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Michal
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield replacement cost?!

Less than a month after getting my MINI it already has growing crack in the windshield from a rock impact.

This seems to happen every year or two with whatever car I have, still kind of irritating that so soon.

I just got quotes from two dealers for replacing the windshield, and they are asking almost $900 parts and labor?! On my previous cars it was less than a third of that price!? Perhaps I should have bought the windshield insurance the dealer offered? Too late for that now.

Anyone have a recommendation on getting a new windshield installed for less somewhere in northern California?

Old 06-16-2008, 05:55 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call safelite autoglass and get them to do it with an OEM windshield. It will be much less expensive and they will come to your workplace to do it and noone will know the difference

Old 06-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Apple
6th Gear
In fl your insurance replaces it free of charge

Old 06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Michal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by JDUR56
Call safelite autoglass and get them to do it with an OEM windshield. It will be much less expensive and they will come to your workplace to do it and noone will know the difference
The online quote from Safelite is $200 lower than dealer at "regular price", down to about $500 on current sale, good savings but still much higher than a windshield ever cost me before, and not sure if they are getting the same parts from the same source...

Safelite gets the glass, ruber, and trim pieces from MINI? Anyone had any problems with work done by Safelite?

Last edited by Michal; 06-16-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:00 PM
Michal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
In fl your insurance replaces it free of charge
I have not asked what the deductible would be, I'm worried about having my insurance rate go up if I have them pay for anything...

Old 06-16-2008, 06:10 PM
GP0256
5th Gear
8 windshields from safelite, no problems. Glass is really no hard to install and hard to screw up. Take it to them and save $200.00

Old 06-16-2008, 06:13 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I always carry the "full glass" insurance coverage on my cars, as it's only slightly more expensive than with a glass deductible. If you want to make sure you're getting an OEM windshield, just ask Safelite who makes the windshield, and where they got it from. I'm pretty sure there's a MINI logo embedded right in the glass on the MINI windshield, so it should be easy to check.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Apple
6th Gear
They replace them free and it does not count against you..atleast in florida

Old 06-16-2008, 06:29 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah here the dealers want over $800 to do it. I had Safelite out of the penninsula do mine for around $280. WELL over a year ago, and no break since.

The dealer fed me a line about it not being covered under warranty if it broke again...well I could have replaced it 3 times myself for what they wanted.

Anyway, Safelite did mine, over a year ago, and so far no issues. How big is the crack? Safelite has the "dollar bill rule"...if it's smaller than a dollar bill, they repair it...bigger, they replace the glass.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM
Michal
1st Gear
I just spoke with my insurance, in CA they do not offer coverage specifically for glass, only as part of comprehensive, so with my $500 deductible it's not worth filing a claim.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Michal
1st Gear
Originally Posted by MLWagner79
Yeah here the dealers want over $800 to do it. I had Safelite out of the penninsula do mine for around $280. WELL over a year ago, and no break since.

The dealer fed me a line about it not being covered under warranty if it broke again...well I could have replaced it 3 times myself for what they wanted.

Anyway, Safelite did mine, over a year ago, and so far no issues. How big is the crack? Safelite has the "dollar bill rule"...if it's smaller than a dollar bill, they repair it...bigger, they replace the glass.
Well, $280 is more in line with my expectation, right now even the Safelite web site is quoting me nearly twice that, dealer close to three times.

I guess I will stop by the Safelite shop on Stevens Creek to see if I can get it for something closer to what you paid.

Did Safelite use MINI parts on your car or not?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:23 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If it will help sway your decision more, most dealers will outsource windshield install work.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:16 PM
krim
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Michal
I just spoke with my insurance, in CA they do not offer coverage specifically for glass, only as part of comprehensive, so with my $500 deductible it's not worth filing a claim.
my ins co repairs windshields free if it is repairable (impacts, chips, non-spreading cracks, etc) and non-repairable is $100 deductible (my comp/coll are $350).

if this happens to you a lot, it might be worth switching, or lowering your deductible if it isn't a large difference. Or I heard around that there is a clear bra type film for the windshield too...

Old 06-16-2008, 08:21 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Well, $280 is more in line with my expectation, right now even the Safelite web site is quoting me nearly twice that, dealer close to three times.

I guess I will stop by the Safelite shop on Stevens Creek to see if I can get it for something closer to what you paid.

Did Safelite use MINI parts on your car or not?
I had them do the OEM windshield. It doesn't have the MINI logo on it like the factory one, but everything lines up, including the VIN space, and I have the auto-wipers and the install included replacing the box for that behind the rearview mirror as well.

Old 06-17-2008, 03:44 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
two items

1. I've used SAFELITE for ws replacements many times over the last 20 years - they are 'partnered' with USAA and handle all insurance claims. My 02 is on ws #3, and they've done my Miata a couple of times, Element .... others. Only once was I not happy, and in that case they came back the next day and did the job again....no questions asked. I don't really care what glass they used....it fit fine and lasts as long as any other.

2. Once this is settled you might ask your insurance what the difference in rate would be to change your comp deduct to zero. After paying a $250 deduct on two glass replacements while living out of FL, I asked and the annual increase of rates for 3 drivers (one teen) on 3 cars was under a hunded bucks.... Since I was averaging a windshield a year between the 3 cars this became a quick & simple math question. And all those glass claims have never resulted in a penny of rate increase. Glass is pretty much a 'no fault' issue and as stated: in FL an issue the company can't even charge the deduct for .... a safety issue the ins must cover.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:30 AM
Minian
5th Gear
Less than a month after getting my MINI it already has growing crack in the windshield from a rock impact.

This seems to happen every year or two with whatever car I have, still kind of irritating that so soon.

I just got quotes from two dealers for replacing the windshield, and they are asking almost $900 parts and labor?! On my previous cars it was less than a third of that price!? Perhaps I should have bought the windshield insurance the dealer offered? Too late for that now.

Anyone have a recommendation on getting a new windshield installed for less somewhere in northern California?
Hell with $900. Like JDUR56 said "...SAFELITE" is the way to go.

Old 06-17-2008, 05:33 AM
reyd1
4th Gear
Yep, in FL they chalk up the repair for windshields for safety. Most windshields nowadays are considered structural parts of the frame....At least that is what I was told...

Old 06-17-2008, 08:00 AM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
After my replacement I dropped my comprehensive to $0. It costs me an extra $30/year.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:31 AM
eagle-co94
3rd Gear
Only if you've got full-coverage.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:31 PM
mmm def
2nd Gear
u know the dealers use companies like Diamond and SAfelite..etc to replace the windshields.. Go with an outside vendor.. My Honda Fit was $700 at Honda at $286 through Diamond..guess what..Diamond goes to the Honda dealer to replace. My BMW 335 is going to be about $500 through Diamond..stupid rain sensor!! Good luck.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:54 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have Allstate insurance which uses a separate claim service just for glass, as do many other insurance companies. When I contacted the glass claims company there was no one in my area that would do a Mini windshield due to the various problems. I had to have the windshield replaced at the dealer for $825 (all covered by my insurance). Be carefull with having the windshield replaced by someone other than the dealer because of the various problems with the install that are unique to the Mini. There are many NAM posts about people having problems with the windshield seal and pillar cap pieces after a windshield replacement. The clips on the pillar pieces frequently break during the removal and the normal glass installers do not have replacement clips and usually install the pieces without the broken clip replaced, then the pieces eventually come off when you least expect it. Also, when my windshield was replaced, the dealer required that my car stay overnight to let the sealant to cure properly.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:32 PM
Jason Komutrattananon
I replaced the windshield on my 2006 Non-S Mini without a rain sensor for $197 in Los Angeles. It took them less than an hour.

Old 04-14-2016, 06:40 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
$500 at dealer.

Saw one come into the shop done by aftermarket glass company...they installed piece of glass with a 4 inch rain sensor block but car had no rain sensor....looked ridiculous since rear view mirrors are different with that block there...

Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,097 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Thats crazy , installed in a Non rain sensor.

When I had mine done for both non rain sensor and rain sensor cars i just paid the deductible, but i know the rain sensor windows were much more. And they were not in stock for the r58/ R59's, had to wait a couple days:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...in-sensor.html

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 04-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Mini1011
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Some of these prices are ridiculous. Safelite replaced my windshield for $240 not too long ago and I haven't had any problems since.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement cost?!