General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chattanooga or Memphis

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 12:00 PM
wscruiser
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chattanooga or Memphis

My wife and I are going on vacation at the end of the month.

We are going to spend a few days in Nashville and was looking for a place in Tennessee to visit the first part of our trip.

I had originally planned to drive out to Memphis for a few days, but I'm now having second thoughts. I've read a few negative comments lately about the Memphis area, and although gas prices are coming down, Chattanooga is alot closer to me (North Carolina) than Memphis.

Just a side note; we are not Elvis fans and have not even considered visting Graceland.

I've heard folks say alot of good things about the Chattanooga area and thought that may be a better opition.

Having never been to either place, I'm looking for some imput.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
maxxboy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unfortunately Memphis has been going downhill for some time. I grew up there but still visit family a couple times a year. If you're not an Elvis fan then downtown (Beale Street/Peabody Hotel/Peabody Place) is about the only other "attraction" worth seeing.

I would suggest Chattanooga. It isn't as big as Memphis but it is a much prettier city. The Chattanooga acquarium is very good. And since Chattanooga is in the mountains, that means twisties!!! Lookout Mountain alone is a great drive in a MINI.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:29 PM
kiminchrg
2nd Gear
Memphis is not bad as long as you know where to go... Unfortunately, crime has run rampant in certain areas. I've lived here for several years, and i just know where not to go... but if you ike Elvis.. you can't beat it (and if that's a reason to come here - then you have to make a drive to Holly Springs, MS for Graceland 2.. not an Elvis fan here -- but that place is funny!) And you can't beat Memphis for Blues - just avoid the tourist traps.

I was born in Chatty and lived there for ten years.. if you're driving in a MINI, then I would suggest it... the area is very beautiful.. especially in fall. Visit Rock Springs and Chicamauga (sp?) and the caves (can't remember the name right now.)

Old 08-03-2008, 03:57 PM
HalAC
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I live about half-way between Nashville and Chattanooga in the Tullahoma area.

If you're into the great outdoors thing there are several great parks in Middle Tennessee. Plus there are some great driving roads to get you to them. One of my favorites is SR 30 going from SR 70s to Fall Creek Falls. SR 30 has some great curvey sections that a MINI will just love. The waterfall at this park is the tallest fall east of the Missippi. Great hiking trails also. http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Spencer&state=TN

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM
pitt2magic
1st Gear
Come on over to Chattanooga. I would think your chances of getting mugged would be less here. Yes the aquarium is nice and mountains are fun to drive.

Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 AM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I won't run down Memphis but I live in Chattanooga and can't say enough good about the city. Lots to do and very visitor friendly.

As other have said there are a number of great drives starting from the city and if you want good food there are many good places downtown.

Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with chattanooga too.
There is the aquarium, IMAX, railroad museum
and lots of great places to eat.

There's also quite a bit to do outside the city, too.
(caverns tours, whitewater rafting I think, etc)

Although I've never been to memphis I can say my
aunt wouldn't let her daughter accept a job there.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:00 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
It is really sad to hear so many people talking bad about Memphis. I have lived in Memphis my entire life. It is no different than any other town. Everywhere has it's bad places and good places. And sadly, it seems to be the surburbanites, who never actually visit the heart of the city, that are the most scared. I wish they knew what they were missing. I would take the wonderful restaurants and nightlife in the heart of the *gasp* city over the chain restaurants and stip malls anyday.

As for Memphis vs Chattanooga...I guess it all depends on where your interests lie. There are lots of things to do in both places. As for Memphis, there is SO much more to us than Beale Street or Elvis. In fact, those would be the last two places I would even suggest to a tourist. If you decide to give Memphis a try, I would be more than happy to give you some suggestions and tips. Heck, if you guys happen to be here on 8/24, we MINIacs might just let you come to our annual family picnic. Fun roads, food, and MINIs...what more could you ask for.

Christy
PROUD MEMPHIS RESIDENT - don't knock it till you try it

Old 08-04-2008, 09:26 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Heck...here's some stuff to get you started:

Take an American Dream Safari tour in an old Caddy
South Main Arts Distric
Stax Museum of American Soul
Sun Studios
Children's Museum of Memphis
Memphis Zoo
Brooks Museum
The Dixon Gallery and Gardens
Memphis Botanic Gardens
BBQ - although I wouldn't suggest the Rendevous. I still don't get the facination with that place.
The Peabody Ducks
The Rock and Soul Museum
Wild Bill's - good blues joint..be careful going here. The immediate area is not bad but a few turns away, you can get into some sketchy neighborhoods.
Gambling in Tunica, MS or dog racing in West Memphis, AR
The Mississippi River museum in Memphis or Tunica River Park
Camp out on the Mississippi River
Catch a ball game at Autozone park

Shopping
Cooper Young - antiques and restaurants
The Avenue at Carriage Crossing
Wolfchase Galleria
The outlet stores near Tunica

Old 08-04-2008, 10:07 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
I apologize for dissing memphis so quickly.
I'd actually like to visit some day.

But also you have to accept places don't get bad
reputations by accident, its because things, a lot
of things, have happened.

I spent my pre teen and teen years in Durham, NC.
It's reputation is well deserved.

I've only known one person that visited new orleans (pre-flood)
that wasn't robbed at gun point. So they get a reputation, too.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:15 PM
kiminchrg
2nd Gear
Vargasgal ---- Okay.. though I now live in Cordova.. I'm not a "surbanite." I lived downtown before the current place - and only moved b/c rent got so high. I agree Memphis can be great... but a tourist to the city needs to know there are areas they just shouldn't go to.

I work in news, and hear all to often about people driving to Graceland late night then getting robbed or something. Great place during the day - but not the best for people who don't know the area at night.

Not putting Memphis down... but we can't ignore what is the truth.

With that said - downtown is safer then ever - and midtown has some great nightlife... just be street smart (i promise i'm not trying to scare you away from Memphis at all.)

I also lived in Chatty and it is a great place to drive - Memphis just doesn't have those rolling hills or the just sheer beauty of the mountains that the east tennessee area does.

Last edited by kiminchrg; 08-04-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
From what I have seen, in the majority of crime is perpetrated by a member of the family or an acquaintance. Otherwise, it might be something gang related, which typically tends to stay within two or three certain neighborhoods. So unless you have homicidal relatives or are involved in a gang war, for the most part, you are going to be fine.

I think alot of times Memphis' reputation is fed by the incessant media coverage of every single bad thing that happens and that whole if "it bleeds, it leads" mentality. It gives the appearance that Memphis has turned into the wild west or something. That just hasn't been the experience of me or any of my friends, all longtime residents in the heart of the city. I mean, is crime really that rampant at Graceland? I can't say I would go touring some of the surrounding neighborhoods, but the only incident I recall hearing about involving a tourist was someone getting out of their car at the gates and leaving the car unlocked and running on the side of the road. I guess the guy who snatched it felt like it was an open invitation.

I do think that now that the economy is bad, there probably has been an increase in crime, but if you think about it, most of the petty crimes that do occur are crimes of opportunity. It is really simple...don't be a moron and take a shortcut through an empty alley at night, don't leave your purse or laptop on the front seat of your car, don't whip out your wallet and give money to a panhandler. (Now panhandling downtown is a real problem but all you have to do is flag down one of the recently instituted security officers to take care of things. Otherwise, just keep walking. These guys are not homeless.) Really, it's just common sense that applies in any town, not just Memphis.

I guess what it all boils down to is that I would hate for anyone to not visit Memphis based the perceptions of someone who has never visited. I love this town and have nothing against Chattanooga. I actually would really like to visit. To me, the cities are really so different, I would think the best thing to do would be to take a look at what attractions each place offers and then make your decision.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 AM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kiminchrg
I also lived in Chatty and it is a great place to drive - Memphis just doesn't have those rolling hills or the just sheer beauty of the mountains that the east tennessee area does.

Memphis and the surrounding area has some pretty scenic drives as well..you just have to know where to look. We may not have the mountains, but we do have the Mississippi and the delta. Nothing beats a picnic at the park on Mud Island while the sun is setting!

p.s. you need to join the Mid-South MINIacs!!!!

ok..I am done.

Last edited by vargasgal; 08-05-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: I can't spell today...
Old 08-05-2008, 12:49 PM
kiminchrg
2nd Gear
Believe me I will join and no offense taken... But yes... there's a lot that happens in those areas that never gets reported (you wouldn't believe how many shooting i skip over because they are just to common in certain areas) --- and yes many are domestic of gang-related. You just have to know where to go and where not to go.

that said - Memphis is great - and I wouldn't change where I live for the world (unless Oprah offered me a job ) But for motoring - the twisty windy mountain roads in Chattanooga are fabulous....

I should be picking up my car any day... so feel free to say hi if you see me

Last edited by kiminchrg; 08-05-2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:55 PM
Reprobate
2nd Gear
Chattanooga. Definitely. Although I have been known to visit Memphis - for the barbeque, which is truly one of the world class centers of BBQ-ing excellence.

The area around Chattanooga is prettier, safer, and better for recreational driving. And they have a different style of BBQ than you find in Memphis. But it's all good.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:39 PM
wscruiser
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Reprobate
Chattanooga. Definitely. Although I have been known to visit Memphis - for the barbeque, which is truly one of the world class centers of BBQ-ing excellence.

Now, why would I want to drive 12 hours to eat BBQ in Memphis when I live in the "BBQ Capital of the World"??? http://www.barbecuefestival.com/

Thanks for all of the help. I've decided to visit Chattanooga on this trip. It's alot closer, and puts us in the area of things we wanted to visit along the way; Jack Daniels and the Lynchburg area.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:49 PM
kiminchrg
2nd Gear
Now now... No one's BBQ compares to that of the Bluff City (Memphis.)

I'm just saying....

Old 08-05-2008, 02:53 PM
Reprobate
2nd Gear
[QUOTE=wscruiser;2407806]Now, why would I want to drive 12 hours to eat BBQ in Memphis when I live in the "BBQ Capital of the World"??? http://www.barbecuefestival.com/

An excellent question. And to ask it is to answer it. But no BBQ fanatic can claim true exposure to the depth and breadth of the art without at least sampling Memphis style. With all due respects to the previous poster, a daughter and booster of Memphis, BBQ is really the only reason to willingly go there.

BTW, I think eastern NC vinegar based pork BBQ is not only excellent, it is unique. The stuff in the Piedmont is good too, but for some reason I prefer the eastern NC version. FWIW, I have a smoker and periodically amaze my northern transplant neighbors with NC style pulled pig. I serve it up with their choice of eastern or piedmont style sauces. (Spent a few years at Seymour Johnson AFB twenty plus years ago, thus my introduction into the intricacies of eastern and Piedmont style NC BBQ.)

Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
I don't want to hijack the thread .

I diagree that crime goes up because the economy is down.

If you get laid off or some such thing, I am saying you personally
or people on this board, do you go out and start robbing and killing?
Or look for something new to do?

Crime is up because there are more criminal minded people.
Either in numbers or per capita (not sure).

I've read one of the lowest crime rates in history was during the
great depression (read it, don't have base data sorry).

Sorry, but that is a pet peeve of mine.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:37 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
I live in Nashville, but have visited both Memphis and Chattanooga quite a few times. I personally like Chattanooga's downtown area much more than Memphis's. The Chattanooga river front area has had some drastic renovations done to it in the last several years. If you like aquariums, Mt. Roads, Look out Mt. and stuff like that Chattanooga is for you. If you prefer blues, drinking on beal, watching some ducks, and going to the civil rights museum Memphis is for you. If you have never been you should really go to Memphis and check out the Civil Rights museum it is one of the best in the country.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:38 PM
bumgardnern
3rd Gear
Oh and you mentioned the Jack Daniel's distillery. They have an excellent tour and you should make reservations for Mary BoBo's, absolutely amazing food.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:43 PM
speeddeacon
1st Gear
I hate to be a naysayer, and I certainly mean no offense to you Memphians, but the crime in Memphis extends beyond the "no go" areas. I am an outsider in that I live over an hour away, but we go there all the time to have cars serviced as well as to shop and go the Orpheum, etc. So, I tune into the crime in Memphis metro and it is much worse than you may fully appreciate. Crime is rampant in the area, and not just murders. Other crime that doesn't make the news such as carjackings, rapes, assaults, robberies, etc. is much higher than it should be for a city its size. I lived and worked in St. Louis and the same trend is there too. Fifteen years ago it was a given that as long as you stayed away from the "bad areas" you were fine and really didn't need to be concerned. Then people started getting shot in the parking lots of the high end malls in the suburbs for their purses and killed for their BMWs and Mercedes and Land Rovers in the ritzy neighborhoods.

I have two personal stories from people I know in Memphis this year, for example. A person I work with brother-in-law was robbed at gunpoint (gun to his head) in one of the parking garages at Peabody Place in broad daylight a month or so back. He was meeting a client at one of the local restaurant's for lunch.

Another person I work with on occasion lived in one of the exclusive neighborhoods just east of 240 near Poplar. He was awakened by a robber with a shotgun to his head. Fortunately his was not killed and only lost property. He now lives in a gated community out in the suburbs.

Both of these cases could have turned out tragically and ended up on the nightly news, but since they didn't, it goes largely unnoticed by the public.

If you know where to find the info, you'll find that crime isn't just in the bad neighborhoods anymore. You hopefully won't catch a stray bullet from a drive by (although I hear there was a spectacular drive by on Summer a few weeks ago) or get whacked by a drug dealer in Germantown, but you are not safe by any means. Your chances of getting carjacked or robbed are likely greater in a more upscale area because, duh, that's where the good stuff is.

You can choose to lessen your chance of being a victim by obtaining instruction in personal defense, defensive driving, and maybe firearm training with concealed carry permit. You just never know when your life, and the lives of the ones you love may depend on it, no matter where you live. Or you can live in denial and take your chances. Chance, however, favors those who are prepared.

My wife and I have decided that Memphis just isn't a place we want to go more than necessary any more. So, other than servicing cars, trips to the Orpheum, and of course the airport, we'll be keeping our distance more and more. As for changing the politics in the area. Yeah, well, good luck with that. I really mean it. You will need a wholesale change of administration and I don't think that's likely to happen with the current demographics.

Just my opinions, guys and gals, please don't flame me if you disagree as this is not directed at anyone personally.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:48 PM
speeddeacon
1st Gear
By the way, Memphis barbeque rocks! The only other I like better is Kansas City BBQ. Gates Brothers, in particular . Of course, you definitely need a kevlar vest to pick up your order.

Not a fan or NC or St. Louis Q.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:08 PM
womble
2nd Gear
Chatt or Mem

Have lived in Bartlett, TN for a year now. (15 miles ENE of downtown Memphis). I agree with most of what Vargasgirl says. Lots of interesting things to see and do in Memphis, but it just isn't my thing, but we go where Uncle Sam tells us to go. Not an Elvis Fan, can do without the Blues, and prefer Eastern NC Barbecue, although Memphis 'cue isn't bad. Mid South Miniacs are a Fantastic Bunch of Folks, too!!

Guess it boils down to personal preference. There isn't a whole lot between Nashville and Memphis on I-40 , so the drive is pretty dull. For the driving experience, I would say eastern TN is the way to go, as has been said already. Save the 6 or so hours (round trip) of interstate driving and go east.

My 2 cents,
tom