General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Cross Country Trip?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 06:13 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fontana village has wireless, it can be a little slow if there are a lot of people using it, but has zero cell service. It has been alleged that you *may* be able to catch a signal at the top of the dam, but that's hit or miss (100% "miss" in my experience!).

You are going to have a BLAST.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My cingular phone has had signal at the first pull off before the dam the last two years. But only if you park and standin the little overlook. Really, there is only like a five foot diameter that I can get my phone to work.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:46 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan
Sounds like a really fun trip. I spent a few years living in Shelby as well. Enjoy it and take your time.
It's been forever since I've been back. Probably won't recognize it at all.

I love the picture in your signature line - did you take that?

Reminds me, it's time I start working on my signature!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:50 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
Fontana village has wireless, it can be a little slow if there are a lot of people using it, but has zero cell service. It has been alleged that you *may* be able to catch a signal at the top of the dam, but that's hit or miss (100% "miss" in my experience!).

You are going to have a BLAST.
Hmmm, maybe I should take my Aluminium Foil Hat for better reception?

Short of making emergency phone calls and the occasional Late Checkin notification, I'll probably just keep the cell turned off.

I'm sure looking forward to the trip! It's getting hard to keep concentration on work for sure.

Thanks
William

"live every day as though it were your last, one day you'll be RIGHT!"

Old 08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
BSUCardinalfan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by wearlaz
It's been forever since I've been back. Probably won't recognize it at all.

I love the picture in your signature line - did you take that?

Reminds me, it's time I start working on my signature!

It has changed even in the three years since I moved away.

About the picture, I took that on the road to the Fontana Campground in 2007. Last Friday I traded that car for a new 08, and I've been driving around trying to get a good, sig-worthy picture of it since!

Old 08-15-2008, 07:22 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
An update for everyone - my Clubman arrived at MINI of the Hamptons yesterday! Unfortunately, I made my plane reservations almost a month ago and decided it would be better if I added a little time just in case something came up at the VDC or dealer.

I leave on 8/24, pick it up on 8/25 and head back.

I'll be posting a link this weekend to the blog I'll be using each day to post pictures.

William

Old 08-22-2008, 11:53 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
An update on my trip:

My Clubman has been at the dealer in Southampton for over a week now! I'm in the final prep stages for my trip, ready to take a red-eye to JFK this Sunday night.

Also, I have the blog up that I'll use to document the trip and store all the pictures:

http://whereinusiswilliamandedgar.blogspot.com/

Feel free to post comments as you wish!

Thanks again to everyone here on NAM with wonderful suggestions as well!

William

Old 08-22-2008, 12:08 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll be watchin'! Best of luck. I'm sure you'll have the time of your life!

Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
capnbill
1st Gear
We bought our R56 in St. Louis about 2 months after purchasing the '07 cabrio in FLA. Took a road trip in the cabrio to see if we could stand it, went to the St. Louis dealer and ended up doing 2/3 of "The Italian Job." on the way back to FLA.

Do like the book says and stay below 4000 RPM until 1200 miles or so.

If you're up in the Dragon area, try the Cherohola Skyway westbound to Tenn. That's the way we left the Dragon last spring.....great scenery and not as intense a drive as the Dragon....runs along the ridge tops.

We just got back from MITM at Copper Mt and came back on I-40 thru Tucumcari. Lots of history there with Rte. 66. There are some maps available that give you the routing and stuff to see so you can get off the interstate. Stopped at one of the Rte 66 museums and ran into a bunch from Norway. They flew to Chicago, rented Harley's and were doing Rte 66. Then I guess they fly back to Norway and the company rents the bikes the other way. (Is Norway on the Euro?)

Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
Be warned - I40 from Memphis to Little Rock is horrible! There is a lot of truck traffic and the road is not nice...there are almost speed-bump-like-things across the road. I have to drive it when I go in for service.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:09 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by capnbill
We bought our R56 in St. Louis about 2 months after purchasing the '07 cabrio in FLA. Took a road trip in the cabrio to see if we could stand it, went to the St. Louis dealer and ended up doing 2/3 of "The Italian Job." on the way back to FLA.

Do like the book says and stay below 4000 RPM until 1200 miles or so.

If you're up in the Dragon area, try the Cherohola Skyway westbound to Tenn. That's the way we left the Dragon last spring.....great scenery and not as intense a drive as the Dragon....runs along the ridge tops.

We just got back from MITM at Copper Mt and came back on I-40 thru Tucumcari. Lots of history there with Rte. 66. There are some maps available that give you the routing and stuff to see so you can get off the interstate. Stopped at one of the Rte 66 museums and ran into a bunch from Norway. They flew to Chicago, rented Harley's and were doing Rte 66. Then I guess they fly back to Norway and the company rents the bikes the other way. (Is Norway on the Euro?)
Thanks CapnBill!

I'll look into the Cherohola Skyway when I'm near the Dragon.

Yep, Route 66 is another of my future trips. I've been enamored with all of the "history" that's in AZ on that part of the highway as well. Maybe next spring it might be a good week outing?

Thanks again for your info!
William

Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mrs.mini
Be warned - I40 from Memphis to Little Rock is horrible! There is a lot of truck traffic and the road is not nice...there are almost speed-bump-like-things across the road. I have to drive it when I go in for service.
hmmm.. that's the first time I actually use highways/interstates. I'll have to investigate what it will do to my schedule to take alternate routes to Little Rock. How about after you pass Little Rock - similar issues?

Thanks so much!

Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 PM
blackdelight
2nd Gear
An update on my trip:

My Clubman has been at the dealer in Southampton for over a week now! I'm in the final prep stages for my trip, ready to take a red-eye to JFK this Sunday night.

Also, I have the blog up that I'll use to document the trip and store all the pictures:

Feel free to post comments as you wish!

Thanks again to everyone here on NAM with wonderful suggestions as well!

William
I have your link saved in my favorites. I'll be checking out your blog to see how you're trip is going. You will LOVE your MINI. I can't wait to go to work every morning just go I can get into the car and drive.

Have a safe, fun trip!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by blackdelight
I have your link saved in my favorites. I'll be checking out your blog to see how you're trip is going. You will LOVE your MINI. I can't wait to go to work every morning just go I can get into the car and drive.

Have a safe, fun trip!
Thanks so much! I'm starting to gather all the items I'm going to need for the trip (that which I'm going to take on the plane, that is). I did have several items shipped to the dealer ahead of time.

I spent a few hours with AZMiniMan this afternoon. He was so kind to show me the best way to put on the full front bra I purchased for my Clubman. I now feel confident that the front bumper and a large part of the bonnet (see, I'm learning ) will be protected on my trip. I'm going to have the clear bra installed when I'm back here in AZ.

As long as I have internet connectivity, I'll be posting details and pictures each evening. Is going to be FUN!

Thanks again
William

Old 08-22-2008, 10:26 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
I just got back from a 2.5 month out-and-back trip and had a blast! I made a thread, but it hasn't seen much (any) action

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151267

Old 08-22-2008, 10:39 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by valcom111t
I just got back from a 2.5 month out-and-back trip and had a blast! I made a thread, but it hasn't seen much (any) action

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151267
WOW! 14,000 miles - that's incredible! Do you have any pictures posted anywhere?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:32 PM
valcom111t
4th Gear
WOW! 14,000 miles - that's incredible! Do you have any pictures posted anywhere?
Not yet, but I'll probably put up some albums on facebook. Once I do I'll share them here.

edit: I've uploaded a few on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29857232@N04/

Last edited by valcom111t; 08-23-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2008, 12:06 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by valcom111t
Not yet, but I'll probably put up some albums on facebook. Once I do I'll share them here.

edit: I've uploaded a few on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/29857232@N04/
I love the picture of the dust on the back of your MINI!

Old 08-24-2008, 08:50 AM
leicaguy
4th Gear
Do it. In 1990 I drove from Vermont, down through southern states, back up to the NW states, to Alaska, and back to the east coast (via a different route). Used only secondary roads. Less than 100 total miles on interstates! It was wonderful, a lifetime experience. Take pictures and share!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:54 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
This sounds like so much fun! I spent 5 weeks on a roadtrip in my MINI before I sold it. Fond memories.

Old 09-13-2008, 09:05 PM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Well, I'm back and it was a FANTASTIC trip! In fact, I actually got home on 9/1 and took a friend on a 400 mile trip on 9/6 to Sedona! The Clubman is a wonderful vehicle to drive - didn't regret a single minute for driving cross country (well, except when I saw those windows fly off the truck in front of me on the interstate ).

Before Edgar arrived, I had people tell me about the "personality" of MINIs - wasn't exactly sure what to make of that - but now that I have 3400 miles on the road, let's just say I couldn't agree more!

Here's a link to the blog that I kept daily:

And a link to my flickr account with many photos.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearlaz...7607065067499/

If you don't want to look through all 400 of the photos , here's a link of my favorite shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wearlaz...7607128804452/

Thanks to everyone for your great suggestions before I left!

William

Old 09-13-2008, 10:32 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
Awesome trip! I can't wait to see ALL of your photos and to read your blog. I think I might wait until tomorrow and brew a pot of coffee and kick back and enjoy the trip by proxy. I watched your "Reader's Digest" version and I'm intrigued. It looks like the trip was a hoot, and you've no doubt cataloged a lifetime of memories in the process. I'm glad you documented it so well.

I just took my first "long" drive in my MINI today; I drove from Sacramento to San Francisco, which is only about 90 miles. It was the first time I stretched my car's legs, but it's NOTHING compared to what you've done. It must have been a great bonding experience for you; no doubt you've become acquainted with "Edgar" by now.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm sure you've inspired others to do the same.

Old 09-14-2008, 10:35 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by AvidMINI
Awesome trip! I can't wait to see ALL of your photos and to read your blog. I think I might wait until tomorrow and brew a pot of coffee and kick back and enjoy the trip by proxy. I watched your "Reader's Digest" version and I'm intrigued. It looks like the trip was a hoot, and you've no doubt cataloged a lifetime of memories in the process. I'm glad you documented it so well.

I just took my first "long" drive in my MINI today; I drove from Sacramento to San Francisco, which is only about 90 miles. It was the first time I stretched my car's legs, but it's NOTHING compared to what you've done. It must have been a great bonding experience for you; no doubt you've become acquainted with "Edgar" by now.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I'm sure you've inspired others to do the same.
Thanks for the comments! What's REALLY interesting is that before this trip (and this car) I absolutely HATED driving long distances, especially alone.

I'm now planning a trip from Phoenix to the Oregon area to visit a friend this winter/spring. Funny thing is, I didn't even think of buying a plane ticket!