General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J D Power rates MINI last for initial quality

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 11:24 AM
buzzsaw
6th Gear
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
J D Power rates MINI last for initial quality

Mini rated last on the J D Power initial quality survey. Wonder if the cold start rattle contributed?

Old 06-23-2009, 11:31 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
That and sunroofs that don't work and whistle, dash rattles and buzzes, no instruments, windows that won't go up or do so on their own and so on.........

Don't get me wrong, I love my Clubby, but one thing I have learned from owning it and my '03 is that they are a long ways from having the quality they should have - at this price point. I intend to own my Clubman for a long time, partly because I like it and partly becasue I paid so damn much money for it that I feel I have to get my value/use out of it - but I highly doubt I'll buy another MINI.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:45 AM
robovega
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's the response from Jim McDowell, VP of MINI USA, on CNBC.

He makes a very good argument that I fully agree with. I also think that MINI owners love their cars so much that they may be more critical. This same "syndrome" happens with Mac users. As a long time Mac user myself, I understand the demand for perfection people have with their Apple products. It just comes with the passion and love for the brand.

Last edited by robovega; 06-23-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Though not really a believer in the JD Powers IQS, Jim's response is insufficient in that it ignores the claimed 90day survey timeframe. If owners are still struggling with MINI's idiosynchracies after 90days, then there is an issue. I also have a hard time believing that Porsche and Lexus owners don't love their cars enough to nitpick to the extent implied, yet Porsche and Lexus top the list.

After all, I wouldn't mind MINI stepping up and addressing some of the known issues more proactively: melting hood scoops, sunroof issues, cold-rattle, etc.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:54 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Speaking of Porsche, did anyone see that for 2008 the ONLY 2 cars that got a 5 out of 5 in the "Performance" catagory were.........Porsche and Mini

Old 06-23-2009, 01:10 PM
morphix
3rd Gear
I'd like to know what people complained about. I have only had my 06 MCS for a year (got him last 4th of July) and I have had a stupid grin on my face ever since. I am that happy with the car, did the 09s take a drop in quality of the R53s?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:15 PM
JIMINNI
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by morphix
I'd like to know what people complained about. I have only had my 06 MCS for a year (got him last 4th of July) and I have had a stupid grin on my face ever since. I am that happy with the car, did the 09s take a drop in quality of the R53s?
I dont think so? And since we have both a R53 and R56 I have a liittle experience. Granted, we have only had her R56 for a month or so. So far so good

Old 06-23-2009, 01:17 PM
galoki
2nd Gear
.... and consumer reports gave the 09 Mini's good ratings. I checked before I bought....sorry, don't remember all ratings off the top of my head. but they were alot higher then in previous years.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:18 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
Saw this news while reading newspaper at mid-morning. Very interesting. I've always believed I was fortunate in not having a single problem with my 2006 S. I wonder whether the other manufacturers have simply increased their QA/QC to very high standards. If so, that is good for consumers.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:33 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
I'd like to know what people complained about.
The $64,000 question.

I have only had my 06 MCS for a year (got him last 4th of July) and I have had a stupid grin on my face ever since. I am that happy with the car, did the 09s take a drop in quality of the R53s?
I've a personal theory, fully indefensible, that R53 owners were a more pioneering breed. More risk-taking and more willing to accept the consequences. MINI was a "new" brand and they were more accepting of the 'bugs' to be worked out. R56 owners, conversely, think enough is enough. Where are those bloody H20 and boost gauges? Why the hell is my hood-scoop melting? Why do I have two volume-control-looking-***** on my radio?? What do you mean "drive around to cool off the sunroof enough to open it"?? Speaking of the sunroof, why isn't there a solid shade? Why do I have to hit the Sport button to avoid accelerater hesitation/surge coming off of a red light?

Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
billie- you just jinxed your car. that's how all my a/c problems started.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:35 PM
morphix
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JIMINNI
I dont think so? And since we have both a R53 and R56 I have a liittle experience. Granted, we have only had her R56 for a month or so. So far so good

good to hear, always intended to get another MCS when the time was right.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my MINI, but it's been in the shop more than any car I've owned, and it's not even two years old. The list includes failed ABS brake module, sunroof screens that wouldn't stay closed, and most recently, the whole timing chain/gears/tensioner assembly was replaced.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:13 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mattbren- so you practically get a brand new car back after each visit. nice!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
my nearly two year old 07 S has been to the dealer once - to get the oil changed at 12 months (the first computer driven service is still 1200 miles out) ... I've no rattles, my scoop has not melted and the sunroof opens every day. Oh, the heat today was 99f with a heat index of 110f - Florida

The 02 we just let go at a bit shy of 96k had a number of repairs over the years that was not inconsistent with the other cars I've owned since my first purchase in 1979 - A Chevy Monza wagon (regrilled Vega) with a V-6

Not the best - not the worst - pretty average in total cost over the years. New cost was around $23k and the dealer who took it in trade is asking $12,000 for it .....

Old 06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
robovega
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OPC
Why do I have to hit the Sport button to avoid accelerater hesitation/surge coming off of a red light?
Is this really an issue? Or is this one of those idiosynchrasies I need to adjust to? I've only had my R56 for a few days and I've experienced this quite a few times. I was hoping it was just something I needed to get used to...

Old 06-23-2009, 03:20 PM
bottomfeeder1
2nd Gear
Eh, doesn't make me feel overly supertydooper about the MINI that will be delivered for me in about 3 weeks. I'm 5 hours away from the nearest dealer, so going back time and again just can't happen. (Right?)

Would I have bought one had the JD Power report been out in time for me to read it? Yep!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Rixter
5th Gear
Wow is Jim McDowell from MINI USA out of touch and arrogant. To dismiss initial quality issues as newbie idiosyncrasies is incredible. When you're spending the coin that MINI customers do on a car they expect a level of quality that is obviously lacking. The fact that owners recommend them to others is relying on historical data and doesn't address the issue at hand if the recent batch of MINIs are less reliable than previously. It'd be interesting to see how MINI has scored in initial satisfaction in previous years. The quirkiness of the car is not new, in fact its one of the characteristics that attracts people, but the issues of quality should not be off handedly dismissed the way they've been.

Last edited by Rixter; 06-24-2009 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:34 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
my negative vote was probably counted in those initial surveys. filled out 2 of them for JD Power.
i love my Clubman though despite its weird gremlins.

Old 06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by robovega
Is this really an issue? Or is this one of those idiosynchrasies I need to adjust to? I've only had my R56 for a few days and I've experienced this quite a few times. I was hoping it was just something I needed to get used to...
Depending on who is asked will determine if it's an issue. Does it exist? Yes. Does it matter to everyone? No. Some may just blip the accelerator before releasing the clutch to get it out of 'sleep mode' (newly coined term. Like it? ). I'm not sure if the dealer can address it with an ECU update, tweak, or whatever, but for many it is easier to just hit the Sport Button.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
mattbren
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by OPC
Depending on who is asked will determine if it's an issue. Does it exist? Yes. Does it matter to everyone? No. Some may just blip the accelerator before releasing the clutch to get it out of 'sleep mode' (newly coined term. Like it? ). I'm not sure if the dealer can address it with an ECU update, tweak, or whatever, but for many it is easier to just hit the Sport Button.
You can always do the auto sport button mod...

Old 06-23-2009, 04:13 PM
robovega
2nd Gear
Sport Button Virgin

3 days in and I have to admit I'm a sport button virgin. I suppose I'm waiting to meet the right road. You know, that one of a kind series of bends and twists that make you think, "Ah yes, this is the one."

Seriously though, I can't imagine hitting the sport button after each red light. Especially with LA traffic. Yikes.

Considering the auto sport button mod, are there any changes in mileage with sport button always turned on? Does it wear out your engine in anyway?

Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by robovega
Seriously though, I can't imagine hitting the sport button after each red light. Especially with LA traffic. Yikes.
This is a misunderstanding. The Sport Button stays on until you turn it off or shut off the ignition. Just have to hit it once upon starting up the MINI.

If I had to hit it at every red light I'd have some choice words for my SA. Like "Please fix this."

Old 06-23-2009, 04:22 PM
OPC
RATTUS Deserticus
Originally Posted by mattbren
You can always do the auto sport button mod...
Certainly, but maybe a discussion for a different thread. The point being that all these topics can have an impact on JD Powers ratings. Afterall, the survey titles itself 'Quality', but asks questions as to design and form.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM
robovega
2nd Gear
OPC - Thanks for clearing up that sport button stuff. Still very new to this stuff, which is probably why I'm so enamored with the car to see these "idiosyncrasies" as real quality control issues.

Quick Reply: J D Power rates MINI last for initial quality