General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service... again? Already?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009 | 09:53 AM
NYCrooner
|
2nd Gear
Service... again? Already?

So I got my MINI serviced for the first time in May at roughly 5000 miles. I haven't paid attention to the computer on startup in a while thinking it would be a long time before I needed service again. However on my way back from an awesome road trip to Cape Cod, I noticed that the onboard computer said 8000/May 2010. So I'm like WTF? lol. Seems pretty soon (only 3000 miles) for service again.

I'm currently at 8300 miles because I didn't notice it till I was already on my road trip. You guys think it's a glitch? If not, what could they be servicing only 3000 miles after my last service? I've got a call in my service center waiting for a call back.

Thanks guys!

Old 08-03-2009 | 12:04 PM
miniphatty
4th Gear
The on-board computer is not reset after the first service if you get the service done ahead of time - the computer should've been saying May 2010/8000 all the time. Afaik, you can safely ignore that 8000/May'10 but the service guys will be able to give you the final answer.

Old 08-03-2009 | 01:03 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
I got mine serviced about 6 weeks ago when the computor said to. Now my MINI is a year old and it is saying it is all set for another service. My SA told me to just drive and it will kick back to the milage, or I could bring it back in. I noticed to day when I got in it didn't say the date for service but said 3000 miles. I'll just wait as I don't really have the time to take it back in right now. It's summer I want to be out Motoring.

Old 08-03-2009 | 01:40 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
The 8000 of "8000/May 2010" is a count-down odometer. It doesn't mean to do the service at 8000 miles, it means you have 8000 miles to go before your next major service.

There are two kinds of services. One is determined by the countdown odometer. The other is an annual oil change. MINI will do an oil change annually, regardless of what the odometer says.

Old 08-05-2009 | 06:40 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by willsblackmini08
I got mine serviced about 6 weeks ago when the computor said to. Now my MINI is a year old and it is saying it is all set for another service. My SA told me to just drive and it will kick back to the milage, or I could bring it back in. I noticed to day when I got in it didn't say the date for service but said 3000 miles. I'll just wait as I don't really have the time to take it back in right now. It's summer I want to be out Motoring.
Check your owner's manual and on-board computer. There are multiple service indicators. Some are based upon mileage / operating conditions (ex: oil changes), and some are on a fixed schedule (ex: inspections / brake fluid change). The OBC will step through each one, and the owner's manual will tell you what each symbol stands for.

Old 08-05-2009 | 07:40 PM
willsblackmini08
5th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
Check your owner's manual and on-board computer. There are multiple service indicators. Some are based upon mileage / operating conditions (ex: oil changes), and some are on a fixed schedule (ex: inspections / brake fluid change). The OBC will step through each one, and the owner's manual will tell you what each symbol stands for.
That's what I did. When I called about a week ago saying it was saying it needed service again my SA pulled up my file and told that because I brought it in for a milage service and I was about 10 days from the one year mark they just knocked it all out once. Now I just have to take it back in for a new hood scoop.