General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Production time

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:02 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry Ray but you are looking at data and a story from 2008 sales figures. MINI sales are down this year from last year. See this link for numbers:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...WinG94Iw&gid=3

MINI sold 4105 cars in June 2009. I doubt that the factory is running 24x7 at this time.

Hey Maui, were you able to deal with Princeton on an ordered MINI? I purchased both of mine there and at that time they were straight MSRP.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:35 AM
Maui Meg
2nd Gear
Hey rhawth99 - originally I had put money down on a mini that was on their lot and we were able to get $800 off of that. As things turned out though I changed my mind and decided to order one from the factory. I'm not sure If I had done that from the start they would've given me the same discount but they did in the end. So long story short yes - $800 off. Our sales guy did mention that they don't usually apply discounts to ordered cars.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Rhawth99 is correct - the quotes in my post were from 2008 - sorry for the confusion. I guess it is a case of "old-timer's" disease setting in - I missed the fact that the article clearly was written in 2008.

So, here is what I believe to be true regarding MINI factory closures since December 2008:

The MINI plant in Oxford had a four week shutdown last Christmas (rather than the usual two weeks), and again for a week in February 2009. And, as UAL_Kingpin wrote in the 8/19/09 post above, the MINI factory was shut down for two weeks in August 2009 (weeks 32 and 33).

Effective March 2009, the MINI factory was only operated five days a week - shut down on weekends. However, according to a May 27th article in the Oxford Mail (see UAL_Kingpin's post above for the link), permanent Saturday working started again on July 4, 2009, and they also planned to operate on Sunday when needed. I am not sure if the plant is now operating weekends, after the August shutdown. 2010 production will start in September, so maybe they will work hard to get caught up with the backlog of orders - just in case the recession is about to end.

Last edited by RayRatt; 08-22-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-21-2009, 03:07 PM
blouise
2nd Gear
addiction

okay now....I was determined not to call my live customer relations person today to see how my MINI is doing, since it just got started yesterday, BUT I did anyway. Got a gal there that didn't give me as much info as I got yesterday (the previous day I got my VIN number from someone else, but I have misplaced it in piles at work). She couldn't give me an estimated completion date or a VIN number. So to get more of a fix (like switching types of alcohol in attempts to "cut down") I called the automated Ask Mini. The computerized chap there told me my estimated completion date is August 28th. I need more! When can I call again to get more information? lol Getting high on the thought of motoring! What does the horn sound like? I forgot to test it?

Old 08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Okay, here is a consolidated list of who is waiting for their Mini. I got the names and info from the three threads I subscribe to. I have too much time on my hands.

1) Blouise, NY, 8/20 production started

2) JcM1n1, SoCal, 8/19 production completed, waiting for ship

3) Kencwallace, VA, in production

4) Maui Meg, NJ, 8/18 production started

5) Norcaltinkerbell, NorCal,

6) Rayratt, WA, 8/19 production started

7) UAL_Kingpin's friend, SoCal, 8/19 production started

Old 08-21-2009, 03:38 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Blouise - my understanding is once they start production, the first four or five days are spent getting everything together and ready for actual production. The actual construction (welding the 350+ panels, etc.) and painting only takes one or two days.

So, keep calling 1-866-ASK-MINI even though the automated message will not change for a few days (especially true if they shut down on weekends). The next update you will get will say "your vehicle is in the body shop and is scheduled to be completed on mm/dd/yy." A day or two later you should hear your MINI is in the paint shop, and after that you will hear it is in the assembly phase. The message you want is when they say production is complete and waiting to be released to the carrier - followed by a message saying it has been released and is awaiting transportation to the port at Southampton. You may then hear it is being transported to Southampton, and then that it is at the port weaiting for a ship. The best message is when you hear "your vehicle is in transit."

My MINI is estimated to be completed on August 27th - but, since the next ship to Los Angeles departs on August 28th, I hope they get my MINI built a day or two early!

Old 08-21-2009, 03:43 PM
blouise
2nd Gear
Thanks Ray! I'll look forward to the changing messages! Have you looked at the shipping schedules? Oof!....glad I live on the east coast, as the ships are few and far between heading out west. I'm surprised that it's that much cheaper to send a ship around the horn to deliver to you rather than putting the cars on a train? But then, I've ridden the trains across the US and they aren't that cheap either! lol

Old 08-21-2009, 03:52 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
I believe the ships go to Asia to either drop off cars or pick up cars after they leave the west coast. For example, the ship that is due to depart Southampton on September 11 (Morning Caroline), is currently in Asia on its way to Europe.

Old 08-21-2009, 06:26 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
The ships to the west coast leave Southampton every 14 days. They go thru the Panama Canal, and the trip takes 20 days. I think the ships that go to the east coast leave weekly - that trip takes 14 days as I recall.

There are at least five Wallenius Wilhelmsen ships that deliver MINIs from Southampton to Los Angeles (Port Huenme):

The Toronto left Southampton on July 31st and will arrive at Port Hoenme on August 24th;
Morning Celestra left Southampton on August 14 and will arrive at Port Hoenme on Sept. 4th;
Porgy will depart on August 28th (the ship I hope my MINI is on);
Morning Caroline departs on Sept. 11th (that ship is presently in Asia according to UAL_Kingpin);
The Aida is scheduled to depart Southampton on September 25th.

Last edited by RayRatt; 08-22-2009 at 12:46 PM. Reason: correction
Old 08-21-2009, 08:53 PM
blouise
2nd Gear
The ship actually takes nine days from Southampton to New York, I believe.
http://schedule.2wglobal.com/AppSche...pe=generatePDF

Old 08-21-2009, 09:00 PM
resmini
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roadshow in Memphis advertising $1500 off any "S" in stock or $1000 off any Cooper.

I bought my MINI there almost 6 years ago, it's an excellent dealership.

http://www.roadshowmini.com/

Old 08-21-2009, 09:24 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
I think I read that the east coast MINI ports are in New York and Charleston. Thus, from the chart you found, it takes about 9 days to get to New York and 13 days to South Carolina. It takes 20 days to get to California (perhaps longer if there is a hurricane in the way?).

My salesman told me that the first cars loaded at Southampton are the last cars to be unloaded at each port, so in this case it might reduce the time it takes for your MINI to arrive if it is among the last cars loaded in England (but, since my MINI is estimated to be completed just one day before the ship sails, I will be plenty happy if it is the last car loaded and the last car unloaded!). But, after all the waiting we will all have gone through at that point, what is another day or two. All I ask is they treat my MINI nice and not do anything that requires repairs at the Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC).

It can take from two days to up to a week for your MINI to be processed thru the VDC (a final quality check - and, heaven forbid, repairs to any damage that occurred during the trip across the pond). If there is no damage, your MINI can be released in a couple days. Then, it has to be trucked to your dealership. Obviously, there are lots of steps that can add delays in the process. But, the wait will be worth it.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:39 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RayRatt
All I ask is they treat my MINI nice and not do anything that requires repairs at the Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC).
Look at how close they park these cars. I am surprised they don't hit the car next to them when the loading driver opens the door. Check out the BMWs. Now I know what the tow hook thing is for.

http://www.eukor.com/homepage/manage/cargo.jsp

Old 08-21-2009, 10:51 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Great video clip - thanks for finding it, UAL_Kingpin.

Now I understand why the last car loaded on the ship is the first car off. The only car that has room enough to open the driver's door to get in is the car at the left end of a row, and the cars in the front row must be unloaded before the cars behind them can be unloaded.

And, I can see how important it is the hold-down straps don't break or come unhooked - I can only imagine the damage one loose car could do during a rough ride through a hurricane!

Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 AM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
It looks like Port Hueneme bound cars must finish production this week (8/17-8/21) in order to have any chance of getting on the Porgy leaving Friday, August 28.

"Closed for cargo delivery/release on: All cargo must be received 4 working days prior to the vessel closing."

http://www.2wglobal.com/www/customer...thern%20Europe

Old 08-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Hi all!

I have a question for UAL_Kingpin, RayRatt, or anyone in the know.

I finally pulled the trigger on a 2010 JCW and the MA told me it had a #41 build week.

Help me out please... When is that exactly?

Do they calculate it as every month having 4 weeks (therefore a #41 build week is in November) or do they take into acccount actual weeks when the factory is in operation (due to vacations/holidays/shortened work schedule, etc.)?

I checked the MINIUSA website and all the info I can get is that my order has been placed.

The wait is going to be a real killer!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 AM
blouise
2nd Gear
Reviewing past postings about production week numbers, I believe they count by the week of the year, not considering weeks of holiday. I'm guessing that week 41 is around October 12th. I wonder why such a delay? You can be sure there will be support for you as you wait, though

"Production Week 23 2008 - Delivery #33 Ordered 3/28, Born 6/11, Arrived FEDORA 6/26, At dealer 7/3, Delivered 7/12"

Old 08-22-2009, 12:16 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
Week 41 is the second week of October (starts on the 5th). Like Blouise said, production week numbers are counted as the weeks of the fiscal year. The only question is when "week 1" starts. In this case, we know that the Oxford factory was closed for weeks 32 and 33 (August 3-16), so calculating week 41 was easy.

Anyway, knowing your MINI will not have to wait until November to start production ought to help with the waiting game. But, as you will soon find out, even the shortest wait seems to last forever! My MINI got held up by the 2-week August plant closure, and the wait was agonizing.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:56 PM
UAL_Kingpin
5th Gear
For those of you whom have not had an opportunity to watch the Mini factory video at the Owner's Lounge, here it is.

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuDeEArJ8NQ

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7hjz5g-3ao

Old 08-22-2009, 03:08 PM
10Zero
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sabre
I finally pulled the trigger on a 2010 JCW and the MA told me it had a #41 build week.
I ordered my 2010 MCS on July 31st and got the same thing. Within 2 weeks, it went from Week 41 to Week 36...so changes can still happen.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blouise
Reviewing past postings about production week numbers, I believe they count by the week of the year, not considering weeks of holiday. I'm guessing that week 41 is around October 12th. I wonder why such a delay? You can be sure there will be support for you as you wait, though.
Thanks so much for clarifying this for me!

Also thank you for the support... October is soooooo far away! I'm going to need all the help I can get to survive the wait! I have been lusting after a MINI for years and now I finally can see the light at the end of the tunnel!

Week 41 is the second week of October (starts on the 5th). Like Blouise said, production week numbers are counted as the weeks of the fiscal year. The only question is when "week 1" starts. In this case, we know that the Oxford factory was closed for weeks 32 and 33 (August 3-16), so calculating week 41 was easy.

Anyway, knowing your MINI will not have to wait until November to start production ought to help with the waiting game. But, as you will soon find out, even the shortest wait seems to last forever! My MINI got held up by the 2-week August plant closure, and the wait was agonizing.
Week 41 can't get here soon enough! I've read posts here on NAM for the longest time from new expectant owners agonizing over the wait and I always thought it was a bit hyped ... that is until now!

I sit and stare at the calendar every day, marking time, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Yup I will be a basket-case by the time my JCW makes it home!

Thanks so much for the info and the support!

Originally Posted by 10Zero
I ordered my 2010 MCS on July 31st and got the same thing. Within 2 weeks, it went from Week 41 to Week 36...so changes can still happen.
You were really fortunate in that the wait for you was shortened so. Five weeks is a very long time!

Well, I shall keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best, though my MA was pretty adamant that the factory's estimate (assigned build week) would not be altered.

Last edited by Sabre; 08-24-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:20 PM
nization
2nd Gear
Looks like the clunkers program is ending tomorrow. I doubt I'll have time to make the decision by then to buy one off the lot. My clunker still needs to be brought up to my father, who sorta bought it from me and then lost his license.... I'll probably go on waiting now.

Old 08-23-2009, 02:34 PM
RayRatt
4th Gear
I know this is jumping the gun a little since none of us have a finished car to worry about yet. But, I found this link on another thread - it is a great photo tour of the Port Huenme Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC) showing various steps our cars will have to go through before they are loaded onto a truck to reach your dealer. You will see some things that may cause you to worry (how damaged cars are repaired, etc.). But, knowledge is better than speculation - you might find yourself in a position of questioning your MA about why your car was so late in getting from the VDC to the dealer.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...on-center.html

Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM
blouise
2nd Gear
Cool! thanks for posting. Hopefully none of ours need repaired! Chased a line of minis today to a park where a rally was taking place... soon it will be all of us!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Sabre
6th Gear
... I found this link on another thread - it is a great photo tour of the Port Huenme Vehicle Distribution Center (VDC)...
Thanks for posting the link to this thread!

Very informative and it does help pass the time waiting for the goods to arrive.

Hopefully all our vehicles will zip through the VDC without a care and will happily arrive at their respective dealerships ready to meet their new owners!

Quick Reply: Production time