General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI sales down dramatically last month

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Gerarddm
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI sales down dramatically last month

Motoring File is reporting that MiniUSA released a statement saying that Mini sales were down 44% in November.

Accordingly, one can hope that dealers will cut more generous deals going forward...

Old 12-02-2009, 08:20 AM
Ohmen
2nd Gear
maybe thats why there are only 3 people in the week 48 owners group

Old 12-02-2009, 11:20 AM
torobud
4th Gear
more generous deals = very enticing to trade in/trade up
more generous deals = declining resale value (a LOT)

Just my current experience...

Old 12-02-2009, 08:34 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I seem to be seeing more commercials for R56's recently.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:29 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MINIs recently lost their Consumer Reports recommended status.

Word of mouth is spreading stories about the MINI engines self-destructing due to timing chain tensioner problems.

People are not as worried about gas prices.

The cash for clunkers program has ended.

Everyone who doesn't suffer from Coulrocarphobia already has a MINI.

Which of the above, if any, have caused this downturn?

Old 12-03-2009, 04:46 AM
rhawth99
6th Gear
+1 for all of Robin's comments. Would be nice to hear Jim McDowell actually acknowledge some of the issues and confirm that MINI is actively addressing them instead of his usual BS about how MINI is in harmony with the universe and MINI has the proper mix of just perfect vehicles.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:43 AM
sarafil
4th Gear
Keep in mind that MINI is a very low volume car... 4000 sold in the US in one month is huge (I think the best they have ever done was around 5000 during the gas crunch last year when all dealers basically sold out of their inventory)... so a 1000 drop in sales is a 25% drop!!

Yes... 1000 sales drop is significant, but it is not the end of the world. For any other brand, even some of the other small niche brands, a 1000 sales drop might be 5-10% drop, but due to the very low volume on MINIs it makes it seem huge.

MINI is having some trouble now because it is a "premium" small car... and gas is cheap. So people that want a small, basic car might be leaning towards $12-16k small cars vs. $20-30k small cars. And people that want to spend a bit more are buying larger cars. Wait until things rebound a bit and gas starts to climb again... it amazes me how quickly people forget.

Another negative, though, is that overall many other car makers have improved their fuel efficiency and that makes the MINI advantage shrink.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:10 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
My reaction to a story like this is: so what?

I already have 2 MINIs. Even if I wanted to get another one right now, why would I care how many were sold last month?

Old 12-03-2009, 08:53 AM
carsncars
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
My reaction to a story like this is: so what?

I already have 2 MINIs. Even if I wanted to get another one right now, why would I care how many were sold last month?
I don't think it should be the only variable in your decision, but if I were buying and sales were suddenly down, there must be some reason people aren't biting. If I think out the reason and it doesn't affect me, then by all means I'd go ahead with the purchase, but what if people aren't biting because quality has slipped. Or because there's a new model coming out.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:59 AM
TAS
1st Gear
I think Robin has some very good points, but believe the biggest factors are low gas prices and the fact that the "big 3" are almost giving away vehicles and MINI still demands close to MSRP.

TAS

Old 12-03-2009, 10:25 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by carsncars
I don't think it should be the only variable in your decision, but if I were buying and sales were suddenly down, there must be some reason people aren't biting. If I think out the reason and it doesn't affect me, then by all means I'd go ahead with the purchase, but what if people aren't biting because quality has slipped. Or because there's a new model coming out.
Obviously, you are a wise buyer (you chose a Sparkling Silver, after all ), so I see your point. It might give me pause, but month to month stats like that, for a brand that sells a small number each month anyway (like sarafil stated) wouldn't worry me too much.

Old 12-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
MINI should go back to doing what they did best and forget building SUV's, roadsters and station wagons.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 AM
minicooperwill
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Gluhwein
MINI should go back to doing what they did best and forget building SUV's, roadsters and station wagons.
As soon as Ford goes back to Model T's, I'm sure MINI will forget about SUVs, roadsters and station wagons.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM
itsminibtch
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
i dont think its such a big deal. everyones focused on buying christmas presents and attending holiday parties right now... if they continue to fall i may be concerned, because i like having a good resale value, even though i dont plan on selling my mini anytime soon.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:27 PM
miniglenn
2nd Gear
For a second I thought you said...

Originally Posted by Gluhwein
MINI should go back to doing what they did best and forget building SUV's, toasters and station wagons.
...and got really confused. MINI toasters?? Now that's really off the mark! What will they think of next? MINI microwave ovens? MINI blenders? Co-branded MINI/RonCo Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ??

Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 AM
unBoostyMINI
Neutral
Yikes!!!!

Old 12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
ongf001
1st Gear
MINI has had no sales or discount programs - not even for year end clearance. Compare that to other manufacturers going below dealer invoice on some models.
Their interest program was marginally okay at 2.9% but paled quite badly in the light of other manufacturers' 0% or 1% interest programs. When I bought my 2010 MCS, the dealer wanted to charge me 5.9% interest when I asked about it. Fortunately I wasn't planning on financing my purchase anyways. But it was kind of insulting when everyone else including the banks were giving out loans for 3.5 or less.
As much as modding is fun, once someone starts to see how much the extras cost, especially if using OEM parts, the enthusiasm can recede.
The models haven't changed since 2007. Although some would say that this is a sign of maturity, some would argue that it's a sign of complacency or arrogance on MINI's part that so little has changed but they keep jacking up the price. (In some cases they actually took away some of the hidden options while increasing the price; like the pre-wiring for the alarm system.)
Then to make matters worse, MINI never did really address the JD Powers "Quality report" that the 2009 MINI did so bad in - and they still jacked up their 2010 prices..... While one can argue that price increases are inevitable, haven't their research, tooling, and start-up costs already been covered? Seems that way for other manufacturers...

So there are actually a lot of reasons for the sales to go down.

A lot of us, myself included, went ahead and bought the MINI based on our enthusiasm and love of the complete package despite all the above. But for the casual owner that's looking for a good deal, replacement car, etc., the MINI loses pretty significantly.

Last edited by ongf001; 12-05-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
carsncars
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minicooperwill
Obviously, you are a wise buyer (you chose a Sparkling Silver, after all ), so I see your point. It might give me pause, but month to month stats like that, for a brand that sells a small number each month anyway (like sarafil stated) wouldn't worry me too much.
Haha, I'm enjoying how well SS hides winter grime at the moment. :D

Yeah, I'm more inclined to believe this is an outlier, unless the trend continues over the next few months.

Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by miniglenn
MINI toasters?? Now that's really off the mark! What will they think of next? MINI microwave ovens? MINI blenders? Co-branded MINI/RonCo Showtime Rotisserie & BBQ??
I'd buy it. A MINI toaster would be really cool. It could even be MINI shaped, instead of a regular toaster with a MINI logo.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:24 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
well we know that the US economy is struggling and it's not hard to figure out that sales of everything will be continued to slow...

Old 12-23-2009, 01:57 PM
newmanium
2nd Gear
Count me as a potential buyer who decided to wait.

I was looking at getting a 2010 MCS originally, then I found out about JCW, and got intrigued. Found a decent local used JCW used (2006) that was alright, but bad color/options made me wait... while I was there, I noticed the BMW sale on CPO cars. Ended up buying a 2007 5-series for the wife instead of the Cooper.

I still want to get into a Cooper eventually, but timing wasn't quite right. Sounds like they got some new models coming down the pike, I'd like to see the cold start issues get completely ironed out - and they need to bring back a nice yellow color!!!

That, combined with no real financing incentives to buy a Mini sealed it's fate (BMW is doing 0.9%, plus they made our first four payments at our local dealer).

I'm thinking a yellow JCW coupe for 2011 sounds like a pretty tempting option, we'll see!! :P

Old 12-24-2009, 05:31 AM
///Mflossin
4th Gear
Originally Posted by newmanium

That, combined with no real financing incentives to buy a Mini sealed it's fate (BMW is doing 0.9%, plus they made our first four payments at our local dealer).
Although I am not holding my breath...this is what I am holding out for. I need something to sweeten the pot a bit for me. I'd like to see 0-.9% financing available. And in the meantime...I need to lose my current car because the trade-in offered to me was poor at best.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:15 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hope maybe a 1% discount..ahha

Old 12-27-2009, 09:29 AM
umberto
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
what timing chain issues?? what years/models?

Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 AM
Kimbo80
4th Gear
Originally Posted by goldcountrymini
well we know that the US economy is struggling and it's not hard to figure out that sales of everything will be continued to slow...
You said it brother. No one is buying anything right now.

Also, if you go to the MINI lots, the dealers have a lot less inventory on the floor. For example the dealer I purchased my car from has a lot less inventory compared to a year ago, and they are pretty much making you order a car and pay MSRP, if you really want one.

Quick Reply: MINI sales down dramatically last month