General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any reason to keep AAA with MINI Roadside Assistance?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Yossarian
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any reason to keep AAA with MINI Roadside Assistance?

Anyone have both? I just got my Auto Club renewal and I'm thinking it may be a waste of money. Are there any gotchas that roadside assistance doesnt' cover?

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 PM
STLMINI
6th Gear
I wouldnt have both if I had just the my MINI.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:45 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Hadn't thought about it, I have both, probably should drop tripleA but I have had them for 25 years. Maybe yes? maybe no?

Old 12-31-2009, 04:40 AM
isthar
5th Gear
I dropped it; why both? In a sense, I'm sure they all work the same way, they just work with/call local towing/service places. In fact I almost expect Mini RSA to end up sending a AAA truck... but I have no experience

Old 12-31-2009, 05:27 AM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Yeah, just stay with MINI. I dropped the AAA and I also dropped the roadside coverage that my insurance provides. Honestly, AAA's roadside coverage is the only reason to use them now. The other advantages like discounts and trip tics are useless thanks to google maps and gps units, lol. 20 years ago the route planning service offered by AAA was great but now it's just easier to get on the computer and do it yourself or use the gps. Heck, most places will give you a AAA discount and never even ask to see your member card. JMHO.

Old 12-31-2009, 05:33 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
at one time MINI used AAA as the provider (says so on the card I got with my 07) but I understand they dropped that association and now have a different provider.

Since there's more in the driveway then the MINI I keep AAA - it is the first thing any classic owner should buy after getting the beast home.

And I sleep better knowing spousal unit and teen daughter and son at college all have help a phonecall away no matter what evil and nasty things I'm up to . . .

If it were the MINI alone and I were still under warranty .... well I think I'd probably just continue maintaining continuous coverage cuz I like Gold stickers . . .

Last edited by Capt_bj; 12-31-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:27 AM
4xAAA
6th Gear
AAA normal roadside assistance is better that the MINI policy. My understading is that the MINI policy will tow you to the nearest MINI dealer, AAA membership will take you to where you need to go.

The AAA in my logo is for battery size. Not an endorsement.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:18 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A couple of other points: as an AAA member, YOU are covered, not the car. So, if you're in a friend's car that breaks down, wife's car, etc.. you can call for a tow no matter what/whose car you're in. That can be VERY handy, and your Mini coverage won't do that. Also, if you're a AAA "Plus" member, you can get towed up to 100 miles (or is it 150?) at no additional charge. Also potentially a huge plus - especially if you're a card-carrying runflat hater who's on regular tires with no spare, as I am. Lastly, I pay for my AAA membership through hotel discounts alone every year. YMMV.

Old 12-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AAA is way, way, WAY better. Much more flexible, and you also have the other travel associated benefits like maps, discounts, etc.

Mini service was a PITA the only time I called them, and very restrictive.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:34 PM
bikerjay011
Neutral
I found AAA has the prices for car and home owners insurance.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:35 PM
QXXOTIC
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I have had AAA now for quite a while.. (My card says 54 years!) One thing I REALLY like about them is that I have 200 mile towing and not JUST to a Mini dealer.

I found it very useful after writing off a tire in the middle of nowhere and getting a nice flatbed back to home. No fuss at all.. and it doesn't expire after the warranty does.. I have 97K of happy motoring so far and a LOT more to come. We'll see you at AMVIV again this year. Another thing I REALLY like about AAA is walking into the office and taking care of registrations, etc. instead of having to fight with the DMV. Here in Calif it's a pain in the rear!

Last edited by QXXOTIC; 12-31-2009 at 07:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:53 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I will continue to carry AAA for thier Service as well as our 2nd Car. Our 2nd Car stranded us at Homey Depot across the river in PDX, we live in E. Vancouver, WA, the battery had gone dead, AAA brought us out a battery, a very nice gentleman installed it for us, we gave him a tip for his trouble. It is what has made us a believer in AAA.

MINI Roadside Assistance on the other hand...not so much. We had gone to a Nursery, bought a few small plants, I stuck my purse in the boot as usual, Hubby closed boot, Hubby did not have his Molly Key...I got hung up on by MRA, they asked a multitude of questions and were not all that friendly...won't be calling them again!! Hubby and I had to walk home, over 3 Miles in 101 deg. Heat.

Oh yeah, Dealer didn't help us out with this either, they wouldn't even call them for us??!!

Old 01-01-2010, 07:10 AM
freez3
4th Gear
Location: United States of America, Ohio, Stark County, Uniontown
I've found AAA discounts at hotels to be the best... even better than "senior discounts".

Old 01-01-2010, 07:29 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I keep my AAA Because----

I also have a Suzuki Samuari,

It will cover any car I'm in.

AAA discounts at motels etc.

Maps and travel information.

My friend Shari's 1997 pickup is falling apart from neglect and if I'm with her I don't have to worry about walking home.

They will post bail if arrested for speeding in a cracker town. ( of course I would never speed anyway)

Ronnie948

Old 01-01-2010, 06:34 PM
jbrowland
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ronnie948

They will post bail if arrested for speeding in a cracker town. ( of course I would never speed anyway)

Ronnie948
LOL. I went to college at FSU and my wife and I used to drive home to Tampa every month on US 19 from Tallahassee.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Barrettrw11
4th Gear
I think I might have to sign up for AAA now. I am soon going to ditch my runflats and I am sure as heck not getting a spare. Also the hotel discounts would be nice too.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:55 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AAA also has a full service travel agency, and I've found their service to be excellent.

Old 01-06-2010, 09:45 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
And if you get a flat after you ditch your runflats...AAA is ok, some have had trouble with MINI covering it....just a thought.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:44 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Also, in some areas that have limited access highways Mini will not be able to help you but only re-imburse you. I was stuck on the Garden State Parkway. I called Mini but they said i had to call AAA and then they would re-imburse me for the towing costs. Luckily i am a AAA member and there wasn't a charge anyway.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM
KevinC
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
And if you get a flat after you ditch your runflats...AAA is ok, some have had trouble with MINI covering it....just a thought.
Really? If true, that's outrageous.

There's no language in the Mini roadside assistance terms that says you have to use any particular tires on your car. A disabled tire is a disabled tire - whether it's a runflat that's been gashed or driven on too long, or a conventional tire with a blowout. If they denied me a free tow because of my choice of tires, I wouldn't stand for it.

Which is another reason I keep AAA. Much better, more comprehensive coverage.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM
coachfraley
1st Gear
Mini roadside doesn't do you much good if you have tire issues. All they will do is tow you to a dealer. Who wants to go to a dealer for tire issues?

I have both, and am only going to use the mini roadside if I need to have the dealer fix a mechanical problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:17 AM
CFMINI
4th Gear
In SoCal at least, I heard that "some" towing companies contracted to AAA have now refused to flatbed lowered MINI's because of possible damage and it is just tougher to get them hooked up to their winches around the suspension parts.

I have AAA Premium and have used it several times in the past for the MINI's. Since my 2 MCS's are both lowered with coilovers, I now make sure that I have the factory screw in tow hooks with me at all times. Haven't had to be towed in awhile.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:30 AM
beatrix
1st Gear
I only had one occasion to use MRA and it was fine - and it did not take them long to come and get the car. As soon as MRA ran out I got AAA Plus Membership. I did make sure to ask them if they would send a flatbed truck if I broke down - and I do have my tow hook in the car. The person I spoke with said it is a good idea to tell them you need to have a flatbed if you need service - so they don't send a truck that can't help. Thank goodness I have not needed to use the service - but I like knowing I have someone to call if I have a problem. I went ahead and got a family membership and someone else has needed to use it so it has been well worth it. I have also gotten maps and hotel discounts

Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
1) AAA covers ALL household drivers/members where the primary account is billed.....MINI 7/24 does not.

2) AAA covers you and your household drivers even if they are in a different vehicle.

It's always nice to have back up.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:14 AM
ronnie948
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't need a flatbed for a Mini.

All they do is pick it up using the front wheels. Very easy to pick up this way. A "H" shaped bar closes under the front tires. Thay put a strap around the top of the tire and off they go. The Tow trucks now use this system. The older rigs were terrible and did not work very good on front drive small cars. I don't think there are anymore tow rigs like that around my area anymore. I have only seen the newer models.

I had a Corvette before and had to have it towed a couple of times. A flatbed was required along with using boards so the front end would not scrape. Both times the drivers had the boards with them and were experienced in hauling Corvettes.

My 2009 JCW has not needed towing yet and I'm hopeing it never will. I do keep AAA because it is great insurance if I'm with someone and they break down. PLUS I do have a 1988 Samuari with almost 200,000 miles on it. I also have a girlfriend with a Ford 150 with 160,000 miles on it. I hate Walking home!!!
Ronnie948

Quick Reply: Any reason to keep AAA with MINI Roadside Assistance?