General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Automatic drone

Originally Posted by Davidoyo
The Alta catback will probably have more issues with drone as it is a full 3" system. Also I have heard mixed results on NAM about drone issues with the catback. The JCW system I think is only a 2.25" system so there is less likelihood for drone, but that does not mean it won't happen. My exhaust, which is basically the same as BostonR56S's as I copied his exhaust with his help, does not really have any drone issues. It can get loud around 3k rpm, but it is by no means drony, at least to my ears. It is a custom 2.5" system with Magnaflow parts. My experience with it is that it was pretty loud for about 2-3 days and then it started to quiet down as the exhaust broke in.
I realize this drone issue should probably be in a different thread but hey, it's an Automatic! I really appreciate all who have responded to my droning question.

Davidoyo, so yours is custom but basically a catback Magnaflow? It appears from all I have read about it that the 2.5" is the way to go. I suspect you made your own to save a bunch of $$$$, kudos!!

I saw something a few people up this thread referring to changing 1/2 the tranny fluid??? Or did they mean changing the fluid in 1/2 the prescribed time on the maintenance schedule?

I appreciate all who have replied to my questons.

S.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read an interesting post within a post I can't find it.

Basically for years the guy has been changing the fluid
in his resevoirs for years, regardless of official intervals.
Just the resevoirs. Siphon it out, put new in.
That way you get some new that diffuses in there, but you
don't have to open the system/become a full time mechanic.

He changed 1/2, "1/2" not sure if it was really half. But basically,
empty the transmission from the drain. Measure exactly how much
came out. Refill the exact amount. This seems to solve the
lifetime fluid that everybody knows really isn't lifetime.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:37 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
1/2 & 1/2

Originally Posted by condor27596

Thanks for the tip! Does the Mini Automatic have a filter somewhere in the system? Draining the fluid is easy and probably better than nothing.

As far as brake fluid goes I think the condensate in the lines causing the slave cylinders to go south is something to consider. Bleeding the old fluid out and replacing is probably a good idea.

S.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM
sequence
6th Gear
hey S if U (or anyone else) springs for the JCW tuning kit, make sure and book a day at yr. local track if U can, and witness how that t/k will transform yr. car to the point that you WILL be able to outperform manual MCS's and, depending on the driver's experience, keep well up with the factory JCW cars. Remember, that unlike the manuals, there's no temp loss of boost between shifts. Zoom Zoom.

Also, do a search here or on YouTube of some Japanese dudes driving a bone stock MCSa around some track in Spain, smoking 3 hot German hatches AND a Honda S2000R (altho the S2000 prob wouldve won if given an additional lap.) FN HILARIOUS!

Old 11-18-2010, 09:30 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Originally Posted by condor27596

I think that's good old BlimeyCabrio that posted that, he's a great supporter of the automatic cause.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 AM
SMOG
5th Gear
MCSa/JCW

Originally Posted by sequence
hey S if U (or anyone else) springs for the JCW tuning kit, make sure and book a day at yr. local track if U can, and witness how that t/k will transform yr. car to the point that you WILL be able to outperform manual MCS's and, depending on the driver's experience, keep well up with the factory JCW cars. Remember, that unlike the manuals, there's no temp loss of boost between shifts. Zoom Zoom.

Also, do a search here or on YouTube of some Japanese dudes driving a bone stock MCSa around some track in Spain, smoking 3 hot German hatches AND a Honda S2000R (altho the S2000 prob wouldve won if given an additional lap.) FN HILARIOUS!
Sequence: I love my MCa. Years ago I had some pretty hot cars, like a TR4A- IRS w/ford 289 V-8 w/Borgwarner 4sp. and a Sprite with the same setup. If I had an automatic in them they would have been quicker. When I was really trying to smoke someone stop light to stop light I used 2nd ad 3rd since there would have been to much time wasted going 1,2,3,4. Seeing the look on other drivers faces when you walk off and left them was worth the hassle if the install. With an automatic I could have given the 427 Cobra a run for its money in a short sprint. As it was an AC Bristol bodied Cobra, 289 Shelby, was a dead heat up to about 100 and then he left me.

I love the automatic for its quick shifts and with Mini they have the computer working for you in automatic downshifts without waiting for you to stop first.

I will try to find the Posts about the Mini driver smoking the others on te track.

S.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:53 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SMOG-1
I realize this drone issue should probably be in a different thread but hey, it's an Automatic! I really appreciate all who have responded to my droning question.

Davidoyo, so yours is custom but basically a catback Magnaflow? It appears from all I have read about it that the 2.5" is the way to go. I suspect you made your own to save a bunch of $$$$, kudos!!

S.
The 2.5" is a good middle ground most exhaust manufactures and people choose for the MCS. Basically, with my system I ordered a Magnaflow muffler, exhaust tips and resonator. Then, I took those parts to a local muffler shop who provided the piping and installed everything. My exhaust is 2.5" from the flexpoint which is a little further up than a cat-back exhaust. I think the total was around like $380 for parts and labor. The reason exhaust systems you see online are around $800 or $900 is because they use Stainless Steel for the piping and the parts and its also what the OEM exhaust is made of. All of my Magnaflow parts are SS, but the piping is aluminized steel which is a lot cheaper than SS, but is not as resistant to rust as SS is. I live in Texas and don't see hardly any snow so the roads are not salted so its not a problem for me, but if you live somewhere that sees a lot of salt on the roads then rust might become a problem sooner than later. Lastly, with using SS or AS piping, going a custom root will always be cheaper than buying an exhaust from a company. I am not against buying pre-made exhausts, its just I did not have $800-$900 to put down when I wanted an exhaust before I got my RMW tune.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Davidoyo: Thanks for the info on the custom exhaust. Did the RMW Tune live up to your expectations with the Automatic Mini?

S.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:26 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
I looked but could not find it. And I thought I had book marked it.

I am looking for the exact equivelent Toyota ATF and how
many quarts do you think a real flush would be.

I talked to a guy today that seems really competant. He says
he can flush the thing and refill it via the transmisison cooler lines.
$225 and that seems very reasonable to me. Including the
fluid but I wanted to double check.

Thanks.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:32 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Condor27596, that mechanic knows nothing about MINIS. There are no cooler lines that contain ATF fluid. You cannot do a typical flush. I wish we could. MINI is backward in that engine coolant is circulated thru the transmission! Here is a link to the transmission fluid partial drain fill thread where we explain how to do it.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3151767

There is no real fill hole, you have to remove a bolt that is very hard to access. It is a royal PITA. The Toyota Fluid is T-IV and is the exact stuff already in the transmission and sold by MINI for $30 a quart when Toyota sells it for $4 or $5 a quart.

Last edited by clutchless; 11-19-2010 at 11:35 AM. Reason: update
Old 11-19-2010, 06:09 PM
condor27596
6th Gear
WOW
THANKS
You saved the day.

I saw that and could not find it again.
I'm sure it will take me a long time myself.
But, I am very determined.

He of course advertised on the groupon.
I called him and talked to him 10 minutes.

No doubt my car would be ruined and he'd be like
uh uh uh, well, uh, it was like that already.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Here's a question.

Instead of struggling could you take a long hose
connected to a windsheild washer pump and pump
the replacement fluid into that little hole?

(I'm sure a rigged up fuel pump would work also but
I have 4 spare window washer pumps so that would
be free)

Old 11-23-2010, 06:42 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Having done 2 drain and fills, in my opinion you would probably just force the hose out of the hole and pump fluid everywhere and make a mess. It is a fragile seal between the hose and transmission, I get a tiny bit of seepage just pouring fluid. The hole is really small. I think a pump may dislodge the hose or make it leak more. I did twist the hose in a little to get a better seal on the threads, but it is not really screwed in well. There is a VW tool that screws in the hole, like a 6 inch pipe with threads on one end.
http://www.costplustools.com/Assenma...-_p_14884.html
It only works on first gen cars, there is not enough room on second gen cars to use it as the hoses etc above the hole block access for the pipe as it goes straight up and you need to get it at an angle. It is really a tight work area.

I have heard of some using a mechanical fluid/oil pump or maybe your windshield pump would work to pump ATF fluid back in thru the drain hole. The stand pipe that sets fluid level would let you pump in enough until it overflowed.

Last edited by clutchless; 11-23-2010 at 06:49 AM. Reason: another idea
Old 11-23-2010, 08:36 AM
512dart
2nd Gear
Well, the dredded day that all CVT owners don't want to happen, occured today. With no warning, as I pulled out of a parking lot, all of a sudden the engine revved and there was a bang and no more forward momentum. So now I'm in the market for a trans for my MINI.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:42 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about your transmission.

I'm SO glad I didnt get one of those things....

The tool link you posted.

Could that tool be cut off shorter or modified in some way
to make it accessable?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 AM
ufomini
4th Gear
Could rename this group "The Automatically Stranded"! Just Kidding!

Old 11-23-2010, 10:03 AM
Hous3y
Neutral
I also run an automatic. I have a '07 MCS. Since I drive in Houston traffic, I am glad I purchased the auto tranny!!!

Last edited by Hous3y; 11-23-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:28 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
You may have sticker shock on the cost of a new replacement one. Depending on the years and miles on your car, you may consider a used one.
http://www.uneedapart.com/used-mini-parts.php
However local transmission shops may have a better line on local parts. You should compare the resale value of the car v trans repair costs.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:31 AM
clutchless
3rd Gear
Mini tool

Condor, I bet that tool could be cut down to work. It is either metal or plastic and small enough it should not be too hard to cut. That is a great idea. Then you could clamp a hose around it to a pump or funnel and probably sustain higher pressure to squirt fluid in.

Old 11-25-2010, 05:51 AM
Wheelie
2nd Gear
Doggie paddle...

Count me in on the paddle crew. As of 11-18, I now own an 09 MCS Clubman auto in Shiny Silver Metallic.
I am waiting on my JCW tuning kit to come into my local MINI dealer.
Hopefully it will be here Monday for my Birthday
I use to have an 02 MSC that I put an intake, pulley, Milltek header - exhaust, swaybars, Yokohama Prada Spec II tires... Yah fun little car. Now 9 cars and 4 years latter I'm back in a MINI.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:36 PM
SMOG
5th Gear
Toyota Transmission?

Originally Posted by clutchless
Condor27596, that mechanic knows nothing about MINIS. There are no cooler lines that contain ATF fluid. You cannot do a typical flush. I wish we could. MINI is backward in that engine coolant is circulated thru the transmission! Here is a link to the transmission fluid partial drain fill thread where we explain how to do it.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3151767

There is no real fill hole, you have to remove a bolt that is very hard to access. It is a royal PITA. The Toyota Fluid is T-IV and is the exact stuff already in the transmission and sold by MINI for $30 a quart when Toyota sells it for $4 or $5 a quart.
Does Toyota use the same transmission as the Mini R56? You are saying it uses the same fluid so I was wondering.

S.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:56 PM
Davidoyo
4th Gear
Originally Posted by SMOG-1
Davidoyo: Thanks for the info on the custom exhaust. Did the RMW Tune live up to your expectations with the Automatic Mini?

S.
The RMW Tune lived up to and beyond my expectations. The only problem i have is keeping myself from speeding as it is very easy to go fast now. It is a much better bang for your buck than the JCW package IMO. I have nothing against the JCW package, but I just can't justify spending all that money for what you get.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Doric
1st Gear
FNG here; haven't even prepared my Intro post as I thought I'd wait until I had a good pic or two of the '07 MCSa my wife and I brought home this weekend.

But add me to the list of auto transmission owners. I think it, and the Mini it's in, are absolutely fantastic. And this coming from a guy whose other ride is a 672rwhp supercharged V8.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oy! Looks like I'll have to post a roster update soon!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:59 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Wooooot!!

So how is that Official Manual Transmission Owner's Club Roster going anyway??!!

Quick Reply: Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club