General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 PM
amancuso
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tank251
I don't blame you for protecting Desmond. New Jersy uses salt for the roads, right?

Denver area doesn't, but I don't have a back up car anyway.
yeah large amounts of salt.... waiting on the rain.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
goobie
Neutral
I just bought a R55 automatic. I was wondering what is considered normal "play" in the auto trannies? I am beginning to notice that it shifts hard when first starting from a stop or accelerating after coasting. Have I taught my MINI a bad habit?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:12 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
Slammy shifts are normal on 1st-2nd gear. After that it should be pretty smooth and seamless, with no slamming, funky shifting or slipping whatsoever, but with occasional slamming if you're off throttle and then get on it again right at shift point, say coming out of a turn. My first question to you would be how many miles are on that Mini and has the transmission fluid ever been changed? See this thread:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...id-change.html
More specifically, starting with post #62 onward.
Point being, if you have over 60K miles, you should definitely be looking into changing the fluid before that transmission dies.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:37 PM
chaswyck
5th Gear
Anyone think they will ever offer a JCW auto? I'd like the extra power, beefed up brakes and suspension, but there's too much traffic in So Cal for me to put up with a manual. I would think there is a pretty big market for an auto JCW.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:03 PM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the next best thing...aftermarket intake, exhaust, coilovers, and JCW tune on my Clubman S auto..why wait?

Originally Posted by chaswyck
Anyone think they will ever offer a JCW auto? I'd like the extra power, beefed up brakes and suspension, but there's too much traffic in So Cal for me to put up with a manual. I would think there is a pretty big market for an auto JCW.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:01 AM
fishbone
4th Gear
^+1
Forget OEM, go aftermarket for better gains

Old 02-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Subzero
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chaswyck
Anyone think they will ever offer a JCW auto? I'd like the extra power, beefed up brakes and suspension.
Note that the Factory JCW does not come with the JCW suspension, it's still a dealer-installed option only for all MINI models. I have it on my MCS and highly recommend it.

Last edited by Subzero; 02-06-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:21 AM
wileenreber
2nd Gear
My automatic Countryman shifts smoothly and seamlessly, and i cant imagine that i could do better. i do mostly city driving, and not a big fan of manual shifting. I can do it, but dont enjoy it like i did as a kid. (well, i am 60 now). I love my Countryman. Any time i want to shift, i can drive my husbands Mini Cooper (BRG with white roof) manual shift.

Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
jaysmgf
Neutral
jaysmgf

Just bought 2006 Copper S with paddle shift and love it .Had a 2004 Manual but this is the way to go. Please add my name to the club list

Jay

Old 02-06-2012, 01:44 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
You can add me to the list. 07 MCS auto.
Shifts smooth and with the sport button on...wow.
No problems with mine and I've got 64,272 miles as of today.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:39 PM
m3sparky
2nd Gear
just picked up my first auto 2011 mini cooper s, hard to get used to the auto, been using stick all my life, still cant decide which i like better, been less than a week since ive drove it.

Old 02-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Flamewinger
2nd Gear
Count me in as my CMS is an Auto but I do enjoy the shifting capabilities with the paddles. Also, I like the ability to side shift to Sport mode and not have to reach for the button.

Name:  63308194.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  94.8 KB

Old 02-24-2012, 12:43 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Been FINALLY playing with the Manual Shift mode after a year of ownership...wheeeeee! Nice to have the option for certain roads and conditions!!! Don't have the paddles, mine is at the shifter, which feels more natural to me, minus the clutch, although I do find myself pressing down with my left leg each time I shift, now I'm sore...lol

Old 02-24-2012, 12:49 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
I had a little time getting used to the paddles/shifter position in not letting up on the gas when shifting. I still at times want to let up on the gas when shifting.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
I had a little time getting used to the paddles/shifter position in not letting up on the gas when shifting. I still at times want to let up on the gas when shifting.
Just can't teach an old dog new tricks!

Referring to myself (58), but not grown up, having time of my life

Old 02-24-2012, 01:01 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Hell Deb, 58 isn't old. I'm 63 and still modding cars and Harley's. Don't think I'll ever grow up. You're only as old as you feel.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM
jmnegrin
2nd Gear
I've heard it before, and experienced it myself. The actual need for an automatic. My 06MCS (hyper blue w/ silver) was a blast with the six speed manual. But, as mentioned earlier, left knee surgeries made it too much of a pain, esp in the greater LA area. Too much stop and go, not enough driving during the commutes. The replacement is a '10 MCSa (laser blue over laser blue, w/ aero package - no stripes)

Is it "as good as a stick"? I don't think so, but it IS a very good alternative. I usually let the automatic do its thing, but every so often, I downshift with the paddles, and when the road says "Yes!", I can treat it (sort of) like a stick shift.

Gotta go.

Old 02-24-2012, 01:10 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by drsimmons
Hell Deb, 58 isn't old. I'm 63 and still modding cars and Harley's. Don't think I'll ever grow up. You're only as old as you feel.
Ive only just BEGUN to mod my MINI. Can't wait to install the DMMWorks intake! My 6yr.old Grandaughter says, "I love your MINI car, Gammaw!"

Old 02-24-2012, 06:46 PM
AllPepperS
2nd Gear
Hey, I wanna join! New to me Sept 06 MCSa Love the paddles, can't use the shifter cause I always want to do a pattern. Had him 2 months now and am really enjoying the car. First weekend did oil change, filter and air filter. Second weekend, thermostat and housing, slight leak, all good now, cabin filter and third weekend Fishbone's tranny fluid change with Royal Purple. Went just like he said it would, not hard, just time consuming, but well worth it. Shorty has 47K on him so preventative measures as the tranny seemed to be working well, it's even better now. Fuel filter is up next. Great "How To's" on this site!

I'm just having fun doing the stuff to it, I just went to a 4 day work week and Friday is Mini day. Today we did calipers and waxed the Web Spokes. 65 here and my friends all think I'm nuts Can't wait to get on to some actual mods. Should be more fun.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:23 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AllPepperS
Hey, I wanna join! New to me Sept 06 MCSa Love the paddles, can't use the shifter cause I always want to do a pattern. Had him 2 months now and am really enjoying the car. First weekend did oil change, filter and air filter. Second weekend, thermostat and housing, slight leak, all good now, cabin filter and third weekend Fishbone's tranny fluid change with Royal Purple. Went just like he said it would, not hard, just time consuming, but well worth it. Shorty has 47K on him so preventative measures as the tranny seemed to be working well, it's even better now. Fuel filter is up next. Great "How To's" on this site!

I'm just having fun doing the stuff to it, I just went to a 4 day work week and Friday is Mini day. Today we did calipers and waxed the Web Spokes. 65 here and my friends all think I'm nuts Can't wait to get on to some actual mods. Should be more fun.
Glad I'm not the only older one still modding (63 here). I guess you never out grow the love for speed. Also, the Mini is more for twisties than actual speed. Either way, it is fun.

Old 02-25-2012, 03:11 AM
AllPepperS
2nd Gear
yeah drsimmons, as an old gal, throwing 17's around is easier than the 35's and 37's I had on my Jeep. ahh the old days where the slower you went the better you were. No speed in the rocks. But I never needed jack stands to work on the diffs or change the oil. I was just able to get my jack under the front. whew!

Old 02-25-2012, 05:57 AM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AllPepperS
yeah drsimmons, as an old gal, throwing 17's around is easier than the 35's and 37's I had on my Jeep. ahh the old days where the slower you went the better you were. No speed in the rocks. But I never needed jack stands to work on the diffs or change the oil. I was just able to get my jack under the front. whew!
I hear ya. Sold my 1982 Jeep CJ7 about 3 years ago. It had 35's and wow, they are heavy. I could just roll underneath it with a creeper and work on it with no problem.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 PM
joetiii
2nd Gear

I have not yet bought my Clubman and a Steptronic is the only option since my wife doesnt drive a stick. I have not been able to drive a NA side by side with the S turbo, and the two I drove were spaced 10 days apart. My first drive was an 08 S. First impression was that the take off from stop was a little jerky on slight accel. Went through the gears smoothly though with nice broad powerband. The NA engine was a 10 model and did not exhibit the jerky takeoff. Obviously, power is not as great so torque steer was is less pronounced. Definitely liked the NA in Sport mode since rpms need to be up to make power. My question is whether all the turbos exhibit this jerky takeoff tendency?

What surprised me was the amount of pickup the NA motor delivered. I have driven the CVTs before and was expecting the 1600 to whine up to redline & deliver lackluster acceleration, but the AISIN gearing really surprised me. I may be old fashioned but it's nice to get a little snap when you shift gears.

Because of these two memories, I'm thinking I may go the NA route versus S model. Mind you that both of my test drives were only 10 minutes long with mostly city and highway driving. No country roads. Am I missing something here?

Last edited by joetiii; 02-27-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I don't think you'd miss anything Joetiii!! I've only just started using the Steptronic Transmission on a Twistie Road on the way to a fellow Club Members, it's the first time I've felt comfortable using it after owning Molly almost 4 years!! If you can get out in the hills and "let'er rip"!!

Old 02-28-2012, 04:34 AM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I don't think you'd miss anything Joetiii!! I've only just started using the Steptronic Transmission on a Twistie Road on the way to a fellow Club Members, it's the first time I've felt comfortable using it after owning Molly almost 4 years!! If you can get out in the hills and "let'er rip"!!
After a year of ownership, I, too, just started using the "manual" mode of my Steptronic tranny. Thought would be smart in preparation of my first trip to the Dragon. I don't want to burn up my brakes! Boy, is it FUN!!!! Just listening to the engine, then changing gears with no clutch is nice, and close to the true manual experience, and using my brakes way less!

Also letting the lower gears wind out going up a hill is great!

Quick Reply: Official Automatic Transmission Owners' Club