General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI DCT? I can dream, can't I?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
MINI DCT? I can dream, can't I?

While I certainly appreciate a tried-and-true 6-speed manual transmission as much as the next guy (or gal), DCT seems to be the trend of the future. BMW already offers GETRAG DCT on their M3 and Z4 Sdrive35i, so I wonder: What are the chances we see something like this in the next generation MINI?

Old 01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Very interesting....Kinda like VW's DSG...but dry clutches.....I know that space is tight on the MINI.....so hopefully the unit is compact enough for the next gen MINI's. Sounds like it is too new of a product to make it into the r-56 refresh....but the refresh with the variable valve timing, etc does sound interesting...
Now if they could only fix the interior IMO.....

Old 01-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With paddle shifters, that would be a nice option.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's what I'd really like for the next MINI.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
911Fan
6th Gear
No stick, no sale.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:31 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 911Fan
No stick, no sale.
I guess you won't want one of these then :

Last edited by TimL; 01-20-2010 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:55 AM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No stick, no sale.
I'm with you on that. I don't care how much faster it is, I want to enjoy it as much as possible. This is a car i have for the sole purpose of being fun, not just fast or good on gas.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
911Fan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TimL
I guess you won't want one of these then :

You're absolutely right. I'd rather get a Valentino Balboni with a gated shifter.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:57 PM
Dookiepower
2nd Gear
6:47 min in he tells the truth! listen to Clarkson!

Old 01-21-2010, 10:35 AM
ApproachingZero
1st Gear
No stick, no sale.
Originally Posted by malteseracer
I'm with you on that. I don't care how much faster it is, I want to enjoy it as much as possible. This is a car i have for the sole purpose of being fun, not just fast or good on gas.
I used to agree with you guys until I got the 335i.

The auto in that car is the best I have ever driven. It is constantly responsive of your needs and does not "dumb down" like the Merc's do when you drive slow for long periods of time. It has super quick downshifts and holds the gear through heavy acceleration. Sport mode is even better. It's like raising the IQ from 125 to 180. My biggest hate with autos was when you came to a stop light as it was begining to change. The transmission seemed to get confused when you were still moving as the light turned from red to green. It usually resulted in a hesitation that drove me nuts. It doesn't happen now; the car seem to downshift just like an manual.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:58 AM
TimL
5th Gear
The Steptronic transmission on the 335i uses a torque converter -- like the Aisin transmission in the MINI -- rather than a dual-clutch, though, right?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dependable word has it that MINI will offer a dry-clutch 7-speed auto as a very pricey option on the next-gen factory JCW; whether it's an Aisin (who already has one for small FWD cars) or Getrag (who went into bankruptcy attempting to develop one for Chrysler) remains to be seen.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:23 AM
sequence
6th Gear
Stickheads. Sheesh. Can the mind be any more closed-off here? >flame suit on<

My 09 MCSa JCW is no less fun, nor do I enjoy it any less, than my manual 05 S or any other hot clutched manual car or truck I've owned in four decades of driving.

But wait, it's an T/C automatic, so it can't, by inherent reason and design according to the Gospel of Stickhead-ed-ness, cant be fun. My bad.

Get over it people: clutched manual trannies are going the way of the carb. My MA believes that by 2020 clutch-operated manual trannies will be offered only on the priciest of domestic and imported performance cars.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:30 AM
sequence
6th Gear
The Steptronic transmission on the 335i uses a torque converter -- like the Aisin transmission in the MINI -- rather than a dual-clutch, though, right?
Yup that'd be right. And Im sure it's no fun, eh? I mean, all that loss of "driver involvement" and "feeling the road"? How can anyone live a full and rich motoring life with THAT?

Old 01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sequence
dependable word has it that MINI will offer a dry-clutch 7-speed auto as a very pricey option on the next-gen factory JCW; whether it's an Aisin (who already has one for small FWD cars) or Getrag (who went into bankruptcy attempting to develop one for Chrysler) remains to be seen.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
ApproachingZero
1st Gear
Yep, it has the torque convertor, which surprises me. I think a lot of it has to do with the software used. Although, it just goes to show you that a die hard stick fan can be swayed with the proper tuning. These are not the auto's of the 1980's-1990's.

I would still love the dual clutch, but it's not for everybody. Some find it far to agressive and hell in traffic/slow city driving. I personally love it, but having the traditional auto with a sport option, paddle shifters, and most importantly, BMW/Mini software has been great so far.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
kb30
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero
Yep, it has the torque convertor, which surprises me. I think a lot of it has to do with the software used. Although, it just goes to show you that a die hard stick fan can be swayed with the proper tuning. These are not the auto's of the 1980's-1990's.

I would still love the dual clutch, but it's not for everybody. Some find it far to agressive and hell in traffic/slow city driving. I personally love it, but having the traditional auto with a sport option, paddle shifters, and most importantly, BMW/Mini software has been great so far.
Yeah the autos are not too bad really. i drove a r56 and the motor and trans are well matched to me anyways. i started a post about this in another section and though i would put this up to check out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c72J9gLYJA

Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
autos *have* gotten a whole lot better, but I don't really think I'll be buying a car without 3 pedals anytime soon.

I don't care what any of the converts say, automatics are less fun and offer less control. period.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Less control? How so?

The only difference in control I can see is being in the gear you want when you want it and I can bang the "flappy paddles" in my '09 Clubby and be in the gear I want in a flash, no different than I can move the stick in my '03 JCW - seems pretty much the same to me. The difference is, when I'm in nasty stop/go traffic I can just leave the auto in drive, and let it.............drive that is.

I've had both cars on the track at Heartland Park, and I don't see the "less control" comment. It may be more involving to drive a stick, since you have more to do with your hands and feet, but then, why do you suppose all F1 cars have "flappy paddles"?

Having driven several Audis with their terrific DSG transmissions I can't help but think it's the way of the future too.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:36 PM
brightwhite
3rd Gear
F1 cars have paddle shifters because it's faster to let the computer switch gears, obviously. These guys aren't out to enjoy the drive, they're out to put down as fast a lap as possible.

I've driven the DSG VW/Audis. Again, it's fast and all, but it's no where near as engaging or thrilling to drive.

I still maintain that I have better control in a manual than anyone in an auto. I control the engagement point, I control when the shift happens, I control everything. If your concern is sitting in traffic, then you're not interested in *driving*, you're interested in comfort. And that's fine. But don't claim that it's just as fun, cause it's not. At least not to me.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:11 PM
TimL
5th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIdave
Less control? How so?

The only difference in control I can see is being in the gear you want when you want it and I can bang the "flappy paddles" in my '09 Clubby and be in the gear I want in a flash, no different than I can move the stick in my '03 JCW - seems pretty much the same to me. The difference is, when I'm in nasty stop/go traffic I can just leave the auto in drive, and let it.............drive that is.

I've had both cars on the track at Heartland Park, and I don't see the "less control" comment. It may be more involving to drive a stick, since you have more to do with your hands and feet, but then, why do you suppose all F1 cars have "flappy paddles"?

Having driven several Audis with their terrific DSG transmissions I can't help but think it's the way of the future too.
Dave -- Don't forget to stop by the MINI AuTOs' Club

Hey, if DCT is good enough for F1, it's good enough for me!

The issue with traffic isn't so much the sitting as the constant 1st to 2nd to 3rd (maybe) and back again as you're driving in stop-and-go city traffic. Unless you're a masochist, I can't imagine anyone finding that particularly fun -- tho I will give you "engaging".

Old 01-21-2010, 03:45 PM
malteseracer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by brightwhite
F1 cars have paddle shifters because it's faster to let the computer switch gears, obviously. These guys aren't out to enjoy the drive, they're out to put down as fast a lap as possible.

I've driven the DSG VW/Audis. Again, it's fast and all, but it's no where near as engaging or thrilling to drive.

I still maintain that I have better control in a manual than anyone in an auto. I control the engagement point, I control when the shift happens, I control everything. If your concern is sitting in traffic, then you're not interested in *driving*, you're interested in comfort. And that's fine. But don't claim that it's just as fun, cause it's not. At least not to me.
I agree.

The true manual transmission is by no way on its way out any time soon. There are enough of those who would rather have a manual than go faster any day of the week, just read the posts above. It may give no extra control in the future at all, but that doesn't mean it isn't more fun.

Automatics have their place, manuals have their place. That place can be shared in part but not in full.
I don't care what lap times an auto sets down versus a manual, dual clutch or not. I'd rather drive stick because I enjoy it and thats my style. To each his own. I also drive into NYC every morning and it isn't something that would make me trade up any time soon.